Sign in to follow this  
Ethan in Portland

What would need to occur to extend or fire McDermott?

This seems to be over thought in the discussion.  My POV is:

Extend:  Make the play-offs

Fire:       5 wins or less unless decimated by injuries

Stay the course:  In between the two above

• Like (+1) 3

6 or less wins without a catastrophic amount of injuries is firable in my opinion unless there is some other context. 7 wins is borderline but I think given the faith in McD's culture they would keep him for one last shot. 

8 or 9 wins and I think you keep him on his current deal. 10 or more wins and I think you have to extend him.

• Like (+1) 1

I like McDermott but if he gets a playoff victory he'll get 3 + years, if we are sub .500 he should go on death row

Posted (edited)

...quite a comical thread....Steelers have had THREE HC's in 48 years and the same GM since 2000.....NONE of it can be attributed to SIX Lombardis.....during the 17 year drought, Bflo had the finest gang of misfits, unqualifieds, football brass masqueraders, etc affectionately known as "F Troop" (my apologies to O'Rourke for the insult).......so we finally seem to have some real football folks in place, a GM who started as an unpaid intern in 1998 and has progressed through the ranks and a HC who has cleaned up the non-football cultural stench, requiring intestinal fortitude, yet the "fire McBeane....fire McDermott" gang continues to beat the drum....I'm all for bringing back Russ/Whaley/Wrecks tomorrow morning so we can return to some REAL leadership...SMH....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

There are people here that think he should already be fired which goes to show what they know :huh: But he would have to have a epic failure of a season i would think for the Peg's to let him go .

They are smart enough to know that given the young players they have & the new players brought in that it will take a little bit of time for them to get on the same page despite those that are in yr 2 with this scheme & all .

The D i think will be the saving grace this yr & i believe that it will take a few games for the new pieces to the offense to get in sync with Josh & i look to the later part of the yr to be the proof in the pudding so to say as what to expect from the guys assembled on this team this yr !! 

For McDermott's case. Allen can't suck.  Bottom line. Especially after he passed on Mahomes.

If we go backwards, that seat will be hot.

If we're around .500...the seat I believe will be warm and next year will be a make it or break it.

If we make the playoffs, I think he will be extended.  

Posted (edited)

2019-20 will be very telling. The Bills have invested in McDermott and his system with the understanding that it takes time. Josh Allen's development also plays a large part. Of course expectations are high. and most rebuilds today are not taking five years. If the Bills do not enter the post season soon...the finger pointing may begin and it could get hot.

Edited by Rocket94

Posted (edited)

It's obvious we are heading for disaster with the current regime. I say clean house now and tank for Tua.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

Bills fans have seen and heard it all. We are loyal, patient, and for the most part at least cautiously optimistic...but we are not dumb. If this climate being created referred to as a "culture" does not pan out and produce wins then we know the rest.

Edited by Rocket94

On 7/14/2019 at 1:10 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...quite a comical thread....Steelers have had THREE HC's in 48 years and the same GM since 2000.....NONE of it can be attributed to SIX Lombardis.....during the 17 year drought, Bflo had the finest gang of misfits, unqualifieds, football brass masqueraders, etc affectionately known as "F Troop" (my apologies to O'Rourke for the insult).......so we finally seem to have some real football folks in place, a GM who started as an unpaid intern in 1998 and has progressed through the ranks and a HC who has cleaned up the non-football cultural stench, requiring intestinal fortitude, yet the "fire McBeane....fire McDermott" gang continues to beat the drum....I'm all for bringing back Russ/Whaley/Wrecks tomorrow morning so we can return to some REAL leadership...SMH....

This - very much

• Like (+1) 1