No Women's World Cup thread?

7 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

maybe.  

I know far more people who will watch the women play and not watch the men play at all.  

If I wanted to see players flopping I'd watch professional wrestling.

:lol: I know more people who would rather watch the USWNT as well, but that doesn't mean much. I'll preface by saying I enjoy watching both equally.

That said, many more people like watching the USMNT. In 2014, 24.7 million people in the US watched the men tie Portugal in group play. This final had 14.3 million viewers. If the men make the next world cup, most of their games will beat this final for viewership (well, as long as the games aren't live at like 5am).

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

my statement had nothing to do at all if they should be paid more or less etc..it was simply the article from the National Review is disingenuous.and tries to make the Womens equal pay fight all about World Cup earnings, and only World Cup earnings..and that is just flat out wrong. Both sides of the media unfortunately slant things they way they want .

The mens and womens team are on completely different pay structures..salaries and bonus for women vs strictly bonuses for men etc...there will be lawyers and laws involved that have nothing to do with revenue generation unfortunately.

Here is my solution. Two separate US Soccer Federations. No more bundling of TV contracts or endorsements. Let each stand on its own. That's the fairest thing.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

:lol: I know more people who would rather watch the USWNT as well, but that doesn't mean much. I'll preface by saying I enjoy watching both equally.

That said, many more people like watching the USMNT. In 2014, 24.7 million people in the US watched the men tie Portugal in group play. This final had 14.3 million viewers. If the men make the next world cup, most of their games will beat this final for viewership (well, as long as the games aren't live at like 5am).

i do too....what is interesting and i have no clue the answer...what telecast draw larger audiences and thus bigger TV contracts in non World Cup games. I think a lot of folks prolly like me..watch the World Cup, yes..but friendlies and qualifiers? Not so much unless its win and your in and lose you are out. 

as you mentioned above..i think separating them would be great as well..then no whining from either side. Maybe there is a reason that can't be done?

Edited by plenzmd1

7 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

i do too....what is interesting and i have no clue the answer...what telecast draw larger audiences and thus bigger TV contracts in non World Cup games. I think a lot of folks prolly like me..watch the World Cup, yes..but friendlies and qualifiers? Not so much unless its win and your in and lose you are out. 

as you mentioned above..i think separating them would be great as well..then no whining from either side. Maybe there is a reason that can't be done?

The women have been great for quite some time. Since 99, they've been on the rise but still could never support themselves. I think that in the last decade, they really started to stand on their own. Prior to that, they needed to piggyback on the revenue generated by the men. Similar to how the WNBA wouldn't exist if they weren't subsidized by the NBA.

I honestly think the USWNT would survive or even thrive on its own now. I think PR would likely be the only thing that stopped it. One nation, one team and all.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

1 hour ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

The women have been great for quite some time. Since 99, they've been on the rise but still could never support themselves. I think that in the last decade, they really started to stand on their own. Prior to that, they needed to piggyback on the revenue generated by the men. Similar to how the WNBA wouldn't exist if they weren't subsidized by the NBA.

I honestly think the USWNT would survive or even thrive on its own now. I think PR would likely be the only thing that stopped it. One nation, one team and all.

It’s like most traditional Olympic events, good to watch when it all meshes every few years but has no serious support outside of those few times.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

Here is my solution. Two separate US Soccer Federations. No more bundling of TV contracts or endorsements. Let each stand on its own. That's the fairest thing.

We wouldn't have a mens team because they would need to play for free.  The men currently lose money every year while the women print money.

34 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

We wouldn't have a mens team because they would need to play for free.  The men currently lose money every year while the women print money.

:lol: K

• Like (+1) 1

$$$ comes from getting people to pay for LONG LONG LONG regular seasons and the TV $$$$ on top of it

this sport isn't going to demand it, all best wishes and godspeed to it

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

my statement had nothing to do at all if they should be paid more or less etc..it was simply the article from the National Review is disingenuous.and tries to make the Womens equal pay fight all about World Cup earnings, and only World Cup earnings..and that is just flat out wrong. Both sides of the media unfortunately slant things they way they want .

The mens and womens team are on completely different pay structures..salaries and bonus for women vs strictly bonuses for men etc...there will be lawyers and laws involved that have nothing to do with revenue generation unfortunately.

I think you've nailed it here.  The WaPo article seems to factor in all the revenue streams - if it's the same article I read a few days ago.................Anybody saying it's only about the World Cup or anybody just saying they're more popular etc. are taking a side without taking all the factors into it.  

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, bbb said:

I think you've nailed it here.  The WaPo article seems to factor in all the revenue streams - if it's the same article I read a few days ago.................Anybody saying it's only about the World Cup or anybody just saying they're more popular etc. are taking a side without taking all the factors into it.  

again, it's like the Olympics and then people forget about it till the next time.

8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I have no problem with her calling out Trump but why is she kneeling during our national anthem on an international stage?  The sacrifices previous generations have made for her in this country has allowed her to live a privileged life where she could focus on soccer at an early age and pry got a free ride through college.  She just seems like a selfish attention seeker to me. 

She and a bunch of professional athletes were kneeling to bring awareness to law enforcement/police issues.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

She and a bunch of professional athletes were kneeling to bring awareness to law enforcement/police issues.

Did you see the story in SF with the father and son at the apartment complex. The father is absolutely right to be vigilant.  He wasn't profiling race... JUST dumbasses that don't follow protocols, acceptable behavior that lessens the chance of looking suspicious.  Unfortunately, the young kid is being brainwashed early by the SJWs to not trust his gut.  It may get him hurt, robbed, killed some day! And race will have nothing to do with it!

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

looked more like a desperate attempt at a Nike deal

The team should be congratulated for its accomplishments.  I'm always happy for the US to win championships in international sports.

However, I find the 2019 team really unlikable and obnoxious.  The team's accomplishment has been largely overshadowed by Megan Rapinoe's thirst for publicity.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Well there are a lot of people who apparently don’t care about women’s soccer talking about it so I’d say they accomplished their goal.

It’s called the flavour of the week, shoved down on us constantly by our sports media outlets.

then it’s gone....  like the wind...

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1