75 years ago today brave men stormed the beaches of Normandy

10 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

My son was a pretty good Mike LB on his high school football team.  The Coast Guard Academy invited him in for a visit. He wasn’t interested, and I don’t think he would have enjoyed it if he had gone.

I worked with a guy whose son went to the Naval Academy and his daughter went to the Coast Guard Academy.  We were all jealous, not only because of how impressive that is, but also because he avoided paying for college for his kids. 

We had the pre-paid tuition for our son, and he got the grade based scholarship stuff. He got 2 undergrad degrees plus a Masters, and he owes nothing. He didn’t need financial help to get his degrees, so he was lucky.

He’s a CPA but just got accepted to Georgia Tech and Emory for his MBA. We told him to sign up for student loans as Emory (surprisingly highler ranked!) is $80k. Yikes! We will let him go through the process, but then probably let him off the hook and pay it off. He’ll probably be getting married and starting a family before too long. We can handle it, and there are extenuating circumstances. You do what you reasonably can for your kids. 

Edited by Augie

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

We had the pre-paid tuition for our son, and he got the grade based scholarship stuff. He got 2 undergrad degrees plus a Masters, and he owes nothing. He didn’t need financial help to get his degrees, so he was lucky.

He’s a CPA but just got accepted to Georgia Tech and Emory for his MBA. We told him to sign up for student loans as Emory (surprisingly highler ranked!) is $80k. Yikes! We will let him go through the process, but then probably let him off the hook and pay it off. He’ll probably be getting married and starting a family before too long. We can handle it, and there are extenuating circumstances. You do what you reasonably can for your kids. 

My kids went to state schools for their BS degrees and we covered most of the costs. We had them pay some just so they would feel invested in their own situation. Their MS degrees were paid for by their employers. My son’s fiancé graduated with about $70k in loans, and his best friend graduated with about $50k in loans. Crazy.

My niece and nephew were able to go to Florida State for free because their grades and SAT scores were good enough. My brother was pretty relieved when that deal became available. 

Edited by Gray Beard

1 minute ago, Gray Beard said:

My kids went to state schools for their BS degrees and we covered most of the costs. We had them pay some just so they would feel invested in their own situation. Their MS degrees were paid for by their employers. My son’s fiancé graduated with about $70k in loans, and his best friend graduated with about $50k in loans. Crazy.

Our son also went in-state. My BIL has a kid who has graduated from college, and his OBGYN wife is STILL dealing with student loans. It’s crazy and it lingers forever! 

Anyway, thank you to our vets who allowed us to make these choices! 

• Like (+1) 1

I have much respect for men of that era. How many 18-19 year olds today face a challenge like D-Day. If the German high command was not so rigid...it may have been worse.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Looks like you and your wife did a wonderful job as parents. ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Looks like you and your wife did a wonderful job as parents. ?

I’ll give the wife the credit for almost everything. We all do what we can....turns out she’s magic. And I try too.  But thanks. 

14 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

Holy crap. There's no need to be nasty and condescending. My goodness.

The point remains that it's silly for branches of the United States military to belittle each other. We are all on the same team. This has nothing to do with my Bills knowledge or the fact that I had a blog about the Bills... seriously? And just because I'm asking doesn't mean I don't have research skills. My god. I work 55 hours a week and I have a toddler to look after... My apologies if I don't have the time to spend hours pouring over material before I can ask a question on a message board. My god.

You're seriously stupid.

Ask a Marine about Kelly Turner; then ask a naval aviator about the Air Force, then ask an Air Force officer (check the golf course) about the US Army's establishment of the USAAC.  You'll see why they don't get along.  You still won't understand it, because you haven't the vaguest understanding of esprit de corps or unit cohesion.  But you'll at least have access to the information.  

Ironically, for that lack of understanding, your blog probably sucks, too.  

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I’ll give the wife the credit for almost everything. We all do what we can....turns out she’s magic. And I try too.  But thanks. 

When she tells you to do something just smile and say Yes Mam, and do you want me to pour you another cup of freshly made coffee.  You won't go wrong. :)

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

When she tells you to do something just smile and say Yes Mam, and do you want me to pour you another cup of freshly made coffee.  You won't go wrong. :)

She got a fancy pants latte machine because Starbucks pissed her off when they started charging her an extra dollar for almond milk. I’d need a community college class to learn how to work it. 

We have the brave men who stormed Normandy beach to thank for these petty problems. I am grateful! 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, DC Tom said:

........then ask a naval aviator about the Air Force, then ask an Air Force officer (check the golf course) about the US Army's establishment of the USAAC.  You'll see why they don't get along.  

Come on Tom.

They "get along" just fine.

On 6/6/2019 at 9:33 AM, Watkins90 said:

To make it possible for us to love and enjoy the Buffalo Bills. 

A Salute to not only the men and women of the current Armed Forces, but a big salute to the men who were brave enough to do the unthinkable. 

...nicely done bud......this place sure as hell would not exist without our men and women in uniform fighting for our freedoms, with far too many having paid the ultimate price....Godspeed to all......

On 6/8/2019 at 7:19 AM, The Bills Blog said:

Holy crap. There's no need to be nasty and condescending. My goodness.

The point remains that it's silly for branches of the United States military to belittle each other. We are all on the same team. This has nothing to do with my Bills knowledge or the fact that I had a blog about the Bills... seriously? And just because I'm asking doesn't mean I don't have research skills. My god. I work 55 hours a week and I have a toddler to look after... My apologies if I don't have the time to spend hours pouring over material before I can ask a question on a message board. My god.

It's friendly competition. Have you played sports, ever? Like at a decent level. I'm going to assume no.

19 hours ago, Augie said:

My HS QB son was at least briefly recruited to attend West Point. (Would have been a solid slot receiver!) One of the kids from his soccer team hit a 56 yard FG while Urban Meyer was on the sidelines during a big regional game. Meyer, Michigan and others gave him offers, but he went to West Point. None of the kids got what a big deal that was. Strange times. Not “get off my lawn” awful times, but certainly different. 

If you were on my lawn I would not chase you off like an anti-social curmudgeon. Quite the contrary. I would be friendly and offer  to make you useful by inviting you to cut it. I would even be considerate enough to offer you my lawn mover, a non-mechanical and non- polluting  push mower. Don't expect to get paid. However, I would offer you some refreshing lemonade when you finished. While you are at it why don't you just go ahead and trim the shrubbery. :)

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If you were on my lawn I would not chase you off like an anti-social curmudgeon. Quite the contrary. I would be friendly and offer  to make you useful by inviting you to cut it. I would even be considerate enough to offer you my lawn mover, a non-mechanical and non- polluting  push mower. Don't expect to get paid. However, I would offer you some refreshing lemonade when you finished. While you are at it why don't you just go ahead and trim the shrubbery. :)

I would NOT expect to be paid for the honor of cutting your lawn! Shrubs? No problem! Do you have a fence I could paint for you while I’m there? 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I would NOT expect to be paid for the honor of cutting your lawn! Shrubs? No problem! Do you have a fence I could paint for you while I’m there? 

I find you so trustworthy that I will leave the keys under the front door mat with a list of things for you to do while I go on vacation. There are few people I would have such confidence in. I will even have some almost fresh bagels and refreshments in the fridge to make sure you keep your energy up while you go through the list. :D

20 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I find you so trustworthy that I will leave the keys under the front door mat with a list of things for you to do while I go on vacation. There are few people I would have such confidence in. I will even have some almost fresh bagels and refreshments in the fridge to make sure you keep your energy up while you go through the list. :D

Can I invite all my TSW friends? Maybe on a game day? 

(I may not be as trustworthy as you give me credit for!) 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Can I invite all my TSW friends? Maybe on a game day? 

(I may not be as trustworthy as you give me credit for!) 

No. On second thought I might just chase you off of my lawn for security reasons. I will continue to eyeball you until I know you have left the neighborhood. You might not know it but our "neighborhood watch"  won a regional blue ribbon for its diligence. So scoot! :ph34r:

• Sad 1