Disney/Universal Tix Cheap?

Virgil

Heading to Florida with the kid in July and we are going to go to Disney for a day and Universal for a day. 

So far, tickets are ridiculous and I can’t only seem to get them through the main websites.

Anyone had any luck finding cheaper tickets anywhere?  It’s going to be so hot, I don’t see us lasting a full day, so $300+ for the two of us seems insane.  

Wife and I spent $400 at Universal Hollywood in 2017 for front of line tickets. Bought tickets at gate.

Rode every ride in the park in 1 day. So much fun. Could have been 90°, it wouldn't of mattered.

Our kids & grandkids, on their own, went to Disney last year for 4 days on their front of the line deal.

Said not so great and $$$$. My advice, if Universal Florida still has same deal my wife and I got, do it.

Edited by I am the egg man

Disney tickets essentially are what they are. I think under most circumstances even if you get discounted tickets, it’s not very significant. If you go outside of Disney to purchase, make sure it’s a reputable source there’s a lot that are not. The only one I’ve heard that’s pretty universally recommended is undercover tourist. The more days you add to your Disney tickets, the cheaper they become per day (brilliant). I’d recommend park hoppers so you can spend a few hours at the parks, take a pool / cool down break then hit up another park in the evening. What’s a few more bucks at that point!? Make use of the FastPass system. Contrary to belief, it’s free. 

Edited by billsfanmiami(oh)
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I’m here at Disney right now, getting ready to leave.  Ticket prices have gotten ridiculous for those who aren’t planning on coming back within 12 months, in which case an annual pass might be worth it.  Now you really have no options, especially if you’re only spending one day, like you are planning   I would also suggest going through undercover tourist. You’ll only save about the amount of a bottle of water at the parks, but it would be worth it. It will be hot. 

9 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Our kids & grandkids, on their own, went to Disney last year for 4 days on their front of the line deal.

It's been a few years since I've been to WDW, but as far as I know, they do not have a "front of the line pass" similar to Universal, Six Flags, etc...  that you pay for in addition to your park admission.

...unless you are hiring a VIP Tour Guide to the tune of several thousand dollars per day.  ;)

I think we used to get a discount as Florida residents. Know anyone who lives there you can ask? Last trip to Orlando with the kids we stayed at the Hardrock and got free breakfast and fast pass in Universal. It costs a fortune but the fast pass is worth it! My son felt guilty because we just walked to the front of every line. If he had any concept of money at the time, he’d have just been appreciative. Baking in line for 45 minutes for a 4 minute ride was rough without the fast pass. We could also head back to the room during the hottest part of the day to shower, change and recover, then return to the park when it was cooler. That part was nice. It’s tough to do a full, continuous day in the heat. 

Have fun and remember these two things: Sunscreen and water.

You’ll have memories that will stay with you forever. We have one of those digital photo frames in the family room. Some of the best photos on there are with the kids at the parks. Good times! 

3 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

It's been a few years since I've been to WDW, but as far as I know, they do not have a "front of the line pass" similar to Universal, Six Flags, etc...  that you pay for in addition to your park admission.

Disney has a fast pass system. They have changed it twice but they have it. It doesn’t work the same way as the Universal one, which I think works better. 

...unless you are hiring a VIP Tour Guide to the tune of several thousand dollars per day.  ;)

We did that for Universal a few years ago.  Back then you could have up to 12 people (it is now 10) and if doing the VIP tour both parks were very discounted ($2K for one park, $2.5K for both + admission). The prices may have changed.  

9 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

My kid said WDW has a pay extra fee for being slotted in at a certain times on certain rides.

But, yeah, it's definitely not like Universal he said too.

Edited by I am the egg man

10 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

We did that for Universal a few years ago.  Back then you could have up to 12 people (it is now 10) and if doing the VIP tour both parks were very discounted ($2K for one park, $2.5K for both + admission). The prices may have changed.  

This....You can do this for about $400 person if you’re willing to go on the tour with other people. It’s worth it. Includes breakfast/lunch and you will see the entire park in a day, so while the price seems steep, you’ll hit what normally would take someone 3 days or more. Disney’s version has a guide take you though their Fast Pass line so you’ll wait 10-20 minutes for a ride. Universal...front of the line. 

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks everyone.  

My parents live there now, so we can get a resident discount, but it’s still just insane. 

Due to the time of year, I can already see us paying $150+ per and being done by noon cause it’s hot and the kids are done. 

On 6/1/2019 at 2:08 AM, Virgil said:

Heading to Florida with the kid in July and we are going to go to Disney for a day and Universal for a day. 

So far, tickets are ridiculous and I can’t only seem to get them through the main websites.

Anyone had any luck finding cheaper tickets anywhere?  It’s going to be so hot, I don’t see us lasting a full day, so $300+ for the two of us seems insane.  

I live a hour away from there, there Are ways to cut costs. The actual price of admission is fair imo, however, its everything else that gets you... food, drinks, trinkets, parking, etc.

Don't stay there, find a place 20-30 minutes away and take an Uber in and out.

Have a nice breakfast before you go and take some snacks... granola bars, crackers, peanuts, etc. Whatever won't melt. There are drinking water fountains but are hard to find, ask around.

It is hotter down here right now than it will be in July... the afternoon rains will cool things off quite a bit, that hasn't started yet but will be in full swing in July. Bring a smaller umbrella, if not for the rain but for the sun.

If you have to drive there and park have a good cooler with food and whatever... they will charge you $13 for a cheeseburger and fries. Want a beer? $9.

If you have to buy things inside the park for some reason use your most points rewarding credit card.

One downside to going in July besides the heat (there is a lot of AC all over though) is that school is out so it will be even more crowded.

Hope maybe 1 or more of what I mentioned helps... have fun! You won't forget it, that's for sure.

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

Thanks everyone.  

My parents live there now, so we can get a resident discount, but it’s still just insane. 

Due to the time of year, I can already see us paying $150+ per and being done by noon cause it’s hot and the kids are done. 

How old is your son?

1 hour ago, Doc said:

How old is your son?

Taking my 6 year old daughter and 7 year old nephew with my parents 

2 hours ago, T&C said:

I live a hour away from there, there Are ways to cut costs. The actual price of admission is fair imo, however, its everything else that gets you... food, drinks, trinkets, parking, etc.

Don't stay there, find a place 20-30 minutes away and take an Uber in and out.

Have a nice breakfast before you go and take some snacks... granola bars, crackers, peanuts, etc. Whatever won't melt. There are drinking water fountains but are hard to find, ask around.

It is hotter down here right now than it will be in July... the afternoon rains will cool things off quite a bit, that hasn't started yet but will be in full swing in July. Bring a smaller umbrella, if not for the rain but for the sun.

If you have to drive there and park have a good cooler with food and whatever... they will charge you $13 for a cheeseburger and fries. Want a beer? $9.

If you have to buy things inside the park for some reason use your most points rewarding credit card.

One downside to going in July besides the heat (there is a lot of AC all over though) is that school is out so it will be even more crowded.

Hope maybe 1 or more of what I mentioned helps... have fun! You won't forget it, that's for sure.

Yeah, I’m already Boy Scout planning for the heat.  Be there at open, leave for mid day, return in evening.  Cooling towels, water, stuff, indoor rides for a break.  

Just managing the heat and kids exhaustion 

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

Taking my 6 year old daughter and 7 year old nephew with my parents.

Sorry.  For some reason had it in my mind that “kid” meant son. 

Yeah, they probably will not last the whole day.

This doesn't answer your question about price but your concerns about the heat, young kids and a short day hit home for me.

If you aren't staying on Disney property I think you have to take the monorail from the parking lot. This adds time, get there as early as possible. I can't stress getting into the park as early as possible enough.

Also, figure out your must rides and plan ahead with either fast-pass or getting to them early. Given your kids ages, get a fast-pass or go straight to Peter Pan.  The Seven Dwarfs Roller Coaster should be fast passed too if your kids are up for it. 

I have a hate/love relationship with Disney. I think my sister-in-law put it best: It's not really vacation, it's just going away. I hope you and yours have a great time!

28 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

This doesn't answer your question about price but your concerns about the heat, young kids and a short day hit home for me.

If you aren't staying on Disney property I think you have to take the monorail from the parking lot. This adds time, get there as early as possible. I can't stress getting into the park as early as possible enough.

Also, figure out your must rides and plan ahead with either fast-pass or getting to them early. Given your kids ages, get a fast-pass or go straight to Peter Pan.  The Seven Dwarfs Roller Coaster should be fast passed too if your kids are up for it. 

I have a hate/love relationship with Disney. I think my sister-in-law put it best: It's not really vacation, it's just going away. I hope you and yours have a great time!

Good point about getting up extra early to get to the ticket and transportation center (TTC), from where you take the monorail or a boat to MK.  You should leave an hour and a half early to allow time to park your car, get to the monorail or boat, and then for possible delays with either (this last trip, the monorail didn't start working until about 40 minutes before park opening).  Because the earlier you get to the park, the closer to the front you are, and there are always people who get there before you.