Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

17 minutes ago, K-9 said:

There aren’t many players that can take and make that shot like he did. 

And then there’s the forward he undressed to open up a little space. 

Reinhart and Miller also had a pair of really nice passes on that goal. 

• Like (+1) 1

1) nice win, they are  fun to watch again

2) middle finger emoji Bogo, only problem is he and Jack are boys 

3) having said that, Bots has brought this onto  himself. He won’t be the last D frustrated , Wait till a real talent like Pilut or Miller says fudge this, than ya got a problem. 

4) waive his dumb ass , last think you need right now is a distraction. 

18 minutes ago, ALF said:

The Sabres are back in contention , stay with Linus unless back to back game.

Oh, there's no doubt Ullmark is the #1 now.

Great win and nice little streak they have going against top teams.  And by the way, what's up with the Bruins?  After winning 8 straight they've now lost 5 in a row???

Lance Lysowski of the BN gives a recap of the game. The Sabres have won three games in a row and earned points in 9 out of 11 games.

The Sabres are not known for having much net presence in the offensive zone. I thought in this game they did so. The scores by Vesey, Olofsson and Jack's tip demonstrated that improvement in that aspect of the game.

https://buffalonews.com/2019/12/12/buffalo-sabres-nashville-predators-victor-olofsson-jack-eichel-nhl-news-2019/

The attached link is WGR's Paul Hamilton's recap of the game. At the end of the column he points out that Krueger was asked if he was aware of Bogo's trade demand. His response was something to the effect that doesn't interest me.  

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/the-sabres-keep-their-streak-going-by-beating-nashville

Edited by JohnC

There are 6 tweets total. Click on the tweet to see them all. 

Perfect answer from Ralph Krueger IMO. 

Also, Vogl says that Bogosian wasn’t seen at thursday’s game -

“He’s had 10 good games of growth and has an opportunity to take a breath and take a look, and we can work with him on a few things, then we’ll make our decision for the next game” said Ralph Krueger.

It appeared Bogosian didn’t take a look at Thursday’s game. He wasn’t seen with the other scratches. As the sponsor of the “Tickets for Troops” program, he normally talks with the honored military veteran outside the dressing room after games, but Sabres staffers were conducting Thursday’s tour.

We don’t know all the details, but from what I’ve read I feel like Bogosian isn’t acting very professional about a (well deserved) healthy scratch. 

Edited by BillsFan4

15 hours ago, K-9 said:

There aren’t many players that can take and make that shot like he did. 

Truth.  Even watching the replay in slow mo it was hard to see when he released the puck. Did he slip shot between the D-mans legs and still the pick the tiny hole in the corner ?

https://theathletic.com/1455534/2019/12/12/wheeler-final-thoughts-from-team-canadas-world-junior-selection-camp/

Wheeler: Final thoughts from Team Canada’s world junior selection camp

(Athletic sub. required)

Two big standouts (for me)

Cozens played only in the opener — because he was a lock for the team and Hockey Canada wanted to get another look at some of the depth guys in Game 2 — but his line with Quinton Byfield and Nolan Foote (Lightning) looks as close to locked in as the team’s second line as it can be. His hands, given his length and how fast he’s often moving, have this rare ability to keep up with the rest of his game. He ranked No. 4 on my final draft board for the 2019 class, and I’m as confident today in that pick for the Sabres at seventh overall as I was in June.

Assistant coach Andre Tourigny was asked after Game 1 what intrigues him about Cozens, and his answer was appropriate.

“I’m not intrigued by him. I like him. Period,” Tourigny said. “He has a lot of speed, he competes really hard, he’s got great hands, and he’s a good kid. I like a lot of things about him.”

He says Cozens and Newhook were the 2 players that have stood out the most to him. 

An early lineup projection

There’s time for this to change, but if I had to build Canada’s roster (while understanding how Canada’s staff views the various players), it would probably look like this:

Lafreniere – Veleno – Lavoie
Byfield – Cozens – Foote
McMichael – Hayton – Thomas
Foudy – Dellandrea – Dudas/Groulx
Cut: Mercer

Had to post this replay of the Eichel goal. 

Unreal. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

There are 6 tweets total. Click on the tweet to see them all. 

Perfect answer from Ralph Krueger IMO. 

Also, Vogl says that Bogosian wasn’t seen at thursday’s game -

We don’t know all the details, but from what I’ve read I feel like Bogosian isn’t acting very professional about a (well deserved) healthy scratch.

I have a different perspective on the Bogo situation. He's a player who is respected as one of the team leaders. Off the ice he is very generous with his time being involved with charities. So it's obvious that he  is a good guy. He has gone through a lot of challenges with injuries, surgeries and exhausting rehabs over the past few years. He finally made it back onto the ice. As it is well known and understood pro sports are very much a business. So from a player perspective who is in going to be an UFA there is a lot at stake for him to have a good year and burnish his market value. 

As a player is he what he was prior to the toll that injuries have taken? Clearly not. But that doesn't alter the fact that as a veteran and leader on this team this prideful person wouldn't feel some resentment. There's a human element here that is easily understandable. The coach and the organization will make decisions based in their best interests. And it is not surprising that an individual player whose role is being diminished will seek to be placed in a different situation.

This staffing situation with an abundance of defensive players was inevitably going to result in some conflicts. If there was a mistake made here it was that the request for a trade went public. What's going on here about a particular player's status and the resulting ramifications happen on all teams. It will work itself out, and I believe sooner than many people expect.  

31 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Truth.  Even watching the replay in slow mo it was hard to see when he released the puck. Did he slip shot between the D-mans legs and still the pick the tiny hole in the corner ?

When I do stop actIon on that video link above, it sure looks like he slipped it just inside the Dman’s right skate. Unreal.

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

I have a different perspective on the Bogo situation. He's a player who is respected as one of the team leaders. Off the ice he is very generous with his time being involved with charities. So it's obvious that he  is a good guy. He has gone through a lot of challenges with injuries, surgeries and exhausting rehabs over the past few years. He finally made it back onto the ice. As it is well known and understood pro sports are very much a business. So from a player perspective who is in going to be an UFA there is a lot at stake for him to have a good year and burnish his market value. 

As a player is he what he was prior to the toll that injuries have taken? Clearly not. But that doesn't alter the fact that as a veteran and leader on this team this prideful person wouldn't feel some resentment. There's a human element here that is easily understandable. The coach and the organization will make decisions based in their best interests. And it is not surprising that an individual player whose role is being diminished will seek to be placed in a different situation.

This staffing situation with an abundance of defensive players was inevitably going to result in some conflicts. If there was a mistake made here it was that the request for a trade went public. What's going on here about a particular player's status and the resulting ramifications happen on all teams. It will work itself out, and I believe sooner than many people expect.  

I agree with what you’re saying to an extent. 

Bogosian is a good dude, does a lot in the community, is a leader on the team, etc. 

I fully understand he’s in a contract year and that he needs to play as much as he possibly can (somewhere) to show that he’s actually healthy and capable of staying on the ice. I don’t at all resent him for asking for a trade, or for wanting to play in every game. It could be his last shot at a decent UFA contract. 

I get that he’s a leader and its tougher to lead from the press box (and when you’re not considered an integral part of the lineup).

I get that he’s prideful and that this was the 1st healthy scratch of his career.

But, there’s a way to handle trade requests and healthy scratches IMO. 

Every other player that was scratched this year showed up at the game to support their team/teammates and watched from the press box (where they act somewhat as scouts for the team during the game, and also get to self-scout a bit). 

No other player requested a trade after a single healthy scratch (though I get Bogo’s situation is different than others). But the trade request isn’t an issue with me... it was making it public.

By having his agent (Darren Ferris) immediately leak the trade request to his (Ferris’) good buddy Darren Dreger, it put the GM in a tougher position IMO because it takes away even more leverage. Now not only does botterill have too many defenseman, he also has a malcontent veteran who let it be known publicly that he wants a trade. 

It also causes a distraction for the rest the rest of the team, who were all finally starting to play better again. Now they have to deal with questions about Bogosian wanting out. Especially Eichel, who calls Bogosian his best friend in the world. You could see the effect it had on Eichel last night when he was asked after the game about Bogosian. 

If Bogosian wants out, fine. No problem. I just wish he would have handled it a bit differently. But maybe he did it to put pressure on Botterill (though I doubt it works. It took Botts like 6 weeks to trade Beaulieu, and he was scratched much of that 6 weeks). 

• Like (+1) 1

I suggest Bogo invest in a recording device so that he can personally see why he was benched.   He's been horrible since his return. 

I don't know what rules govern his rehab, but he clearly needs a lot more games in the minors to get his legs back.  If he feels that he's finally 100%, that 100% is not NHL worthy, because he cannot move. 

The benching was 100% warranted if he wants to use that number.   

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://theathletic.com/1455534/2019/12/12/wheeler-final-thoughts-from-team-canadas-world-junior-selection-camp/

Wheeler: Final thoughts from Team Canada’s world junior selection camp

(Athletic sub. required)

He says Cozens and Newhook were the 2 players that have stood out the most to him. 

Had to post this replay of the Eichel goal. 

Unreal. 

Rob Ray has his moments occasionally.  That "how're you doing" fit so perfectly.  Sometimes I wonder how announcers are even able to find any words after certain plays.  This was one of them.

Edit: And here's one thought that just came to mind.  Pre-draft hype called for Dahlin to become an even more dominant player than Eichel.  Just imagine if that happens.

Edited by shrader
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

I agree with what you’re saying to an extent. 

Bogosian is a good dude, does a lot in the community, is a leader on the team, etc. 

I fully understand he’s in a contract year and that he needs to play as much as he possibly can (somewhere) to show that he’s actually healthy and capable of staying on the ice. I don’t at all resent him for asking for a trade, or for wanting to play in every game. It could be his last shot at a decent UFA contract. 

I get that he’s a leader and its tougher to lead from the press box (and when you’re not considered an integral part of the lineup).

I get that he’s prideful and that this was the 1st healthy scratch of his career.

But, there’s a way to handle trade requests and healthy scratches IMO. 

Every other player that was scratched this year showed up at the game to support their team/teammates and watched from the press box (where they act somewhat as scouts for the team during the game, and also get to self-scout a bit). 

No other player requested a trade after a single healthy scratch (though I get Bogo’s situation is different than others). But the trade request isn’t an issue with me... it was making it public.

By having his agent (Darren Ferris) immediately leak the trade request to his (Ferris’) good buddy Darren Dreger, it put the GM in a tougher position IMO because it takes away even more leverage. Now not only does botterill have too many defenseman, he also has a malcontent veteran who let it be known publicly that he wants a trade. 

It also causes a distraction for the rest the rest of the team, who were all finally starting to play better again. Now they have to deal with questions about Bogosian wanting out. Especially Eichel, who calls Bogosian his best friend in the world. You could see the effect it had on Eichel last night when he was asked after the game about Bogosian. 

If Bogosian wants out, fine. No problem. I just wish he would have handled it a bit differently. But maybe he did it to put pressure on Botterill (though I doubt it works. It took Botts like 6 weeks to trade Beaulieu, and he was scratched much of that 6 weeks). 

We both agree that going public with his trade request wasn't the best way to handle the situation. I wouldn't be surprised if it was his agent's decision to make it public in order to force the issue. As far as his trade value I disagree with your take. He didn't hurt his value because he simply doesn't have value. He is a veteran player with a history of injuries and surgeries. His recent performances demonstrate that he is a shadow of what he once was. Is he going to regain the playing level that he possessed years ago prior to his accumulation of injuries? I doubt it and hockey people doubt it. 

Botts is usually adamantly opposed to buyouts. This is a case where he should consider it as an option as the best thing for the player and for the organization. When you have an asset with little value then the reality is that you don't have an asset but instead you have a liability. As the saying goes: Addition by subtraction.

When you play poker and everyone knows that you don't have anything worthwhile in your hand then it isn't worth the effort to try to fake it. Throw the cards on the table and move on to the next hand and stop wasting everyone's time. 

Edited by JohnC

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

When I do stop actIon on that video link above, it sure looks like he slipped it just inside the Dman’s right skate. Unreal.

Stepping through the video I saved during the game, the puck went just to the outside of the Dman's skate.   The puck went in either just right of the goalies shoulder or just above.

It's amazing how much flex on the stick the players have on a wrist shot.  They really put that stored energy into the stick.  I expected to see it on a slap shot but not on the wrist shots.

eichel2.JPG

Edited by Greybeard

16 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I'd trade him for nothing if someone is willing to take his salary.  That's a total win.

I'd trade him for nothing and pay a portion of his remaining salary. That's still a total win. It's called addition by subtraction. 

Moving him and eventually another defenseman would help relieve the logjam and still retain depth at the position.