Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

Some observations from the St. Louis game. 

Ullmark was clearly our first star. He and the friendly goal posts were the first stars in this game.

This was like a playoff game. Both teams played a tight checking game. 

The Larsson, Gergs and Okposo line play their role as well as any line on this team. 

As was stated on the broadcast a couple of times Vesey is playing well. He's not much of a scoring threat but he is doing everything else well. He's not a stat player but he is a solid and responsible player. 

Having an abundance of defensemen is not something to be concerned with. It is an asset and luxury to be able to rotate players into the unit. 

Jack is great!

Krueger is having an imprint on how this team plays. The consistent forechecking and attacking the opposition when it gets the puck is becoming a style of play.

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

No.  Different time,  different rules,  different ownership.   There was no salary cap and the Sabres weren't owned by a billionaire with unlimited resources. 

Your crusade was tiring 2 seasons ago.  Seriously,  you're just being a dick now. 

I stopped responding to him. I don't like getting into feuds because it serves no good purpose. I was starting to respond back with hostility but that only served to fuel him. So now I simply ignore him. It doesn't take much to create a climate of hostility and animosity that ruins it for everyone else. When that happens it brings down the level of discussion for everyone else who simply want to exchange views on hockey. 

I don't have any ill will toward this fellow although he has become an irritant. It just seems that what he is attempting to do is provoke people because it amuses him. Needless to say his behavior is very odd behavior.  

Paul Hamilton from WGR gives a status report on Dahlin. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/sabres-dahlin-is-getting-closer-to-playing

This was  Ralph Krueger's post game comments on WGR. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/12-10-ralph-krueger-post-game

This is a game recap taken from the NHL site. 

https://www.nhl.com/video/recap-stl-2-buf-5/t-277753022/c-4798081

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

You guys act as if said poster is completely new to you and you've never read a single post in any other thread.

But anyway, I missed last night's game so I'm sure I'm missing some context from the highlight.  I don't understand how any team, and the defending champs no less, could let one of the league's best players walk out from behind the net with the puck like that.

26 minutes ago, shrader said:

You guys act as if said poster is completely new to you and you've never read a single post in any other thread.

But anyway, I missed last night's game so I'm sure I'm missing some context from the highlight.  I don't understand how any team, and the defending champs no less, could let one of the league's best players walk out from behind the net with the puck like that.

So far this season Jack had a tendency to make the perfect pass instead of just shooting the puck. The defense responding to that tendency backed up to fill the passing lanes giving him more room to shoot at a point blank range. He took advantage of their scouting report. 

19 hours ago, K-9 said:

Perhaps when Jack is in his last contract year and approaching free agency like Hasek was, the Sabres will be forced to trade him or lose him for nothing as was the case with Hasek. 

And perhaps not. There is no sense in worrying about that now. 

Right?! I said the same thing. He is in year 2 of an 8 year deal he JUST SIGNED. 

He only wanted a max term deal in buffalo. It was reported Eichel and the Sabres didn’t even discuss any other contract lengths. 

I see absolutely no sign of eichel wanting out. In fact, just the opposite. He seems to have fully embraced Buffalo and the captaincy.

Merper, you need to let this obsession (with Eichel leaving) go. It’s just getting weird at this point. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, shrader said:

It was the strangest thing to watch live, but Jacks rep is he is pass first...BTW, I still cant figure out how that  shot goes in. Granted, i was watching at 4AM( yes it was live to me)..and did not watch anything other that what they showed on NBC. 

Jack is playing with a different intensity this year...and while a giveaway of his in the waning minutes led to an A+ scoring chance, his determination and effort in the last 2 minutes was awesome to see. Hope he can keep it up the entire season and Ullmark can continue to play like this( and his posts get bigger!) . 

Still have a massive complaint with the number of NHL D we have, Bogo being an TOI leader, and Pilut rotting the AHL. Bogo again directly involved in the 2 goals last night, why does he continue to play?

39 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Right?! I said the same thing. He is in year 2 of an 8 year deal he JUST SIGNED. 

He only wanted a max term deal in buffalo. It was reported Eichel and the Sabres didn’t even discuss any other contract lengths. 

I see absolutely no sign of eichel wanting out. In fact, just the opposite. He seems to have fully embraced Buffalo and the captaincy.

Merper, you need to let this obsession (with Eichel leaving) go. It’s just getting weird at this point. 

I don’t see any sign if Eichel wanting out, either. Unless putting the team on his back, playing a dominant 200 foot game, and establishing himself as a star in the league is a sign he is totally miserable and wants out. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

It was the strangest thing to watch live, but Jacks rep is he is pass first...BTW, I still cant figure out how that  shot goes in. Granted, i was watching at 4AM( yes it was live to me)..and did not watch anything other that what they showed on NBC.

Even with a pass first guy (who just happens to be 3rd in the NHL in goals right now), no team game plan is going to allow for a player to have a free lane to the low slot like that.  A game plan wouldn't even allow that path to a player like Zemgus Girgensons, let alone Jack Eichel.  That one was called a massive brain fart.

And as for how the shot goes in, that's a player who finds that opening in that spot.  We have maybe 4 of those players (Skinner, Reinhart, Olofsson).

5 minutes ago, shrader said:

Even with a pass first guy (who just happens to be 3rd in the NHL in goals right now), no team game plan is going to allow for a player to have a free lane to the low slot like that.  A game plan wouldn't even allow that path to a player like Zemgus Girgensons, let alone Jack Eichel.  That one was called a massive brain fart.

And as for how the shot goes in, that's a player who finds that opening in that spot.  We have maybe 4 of those players (Skinner, Reinhart, Olofsson).

Oh, total brain fart no doubt..it was like their film study overruled common sense ..

In terms of the opening, i just highlight again and have no clue where that puck went..has to be between elbow and body on the tender, but looks like he has his elbow tight to his body...a view from behind the net would be great. When he first scored, i thought it had to have gone top far corner, but no, it went through his body somehow.

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Oh, total brain fart no doubt..it was like their film study overruled common sense ..

In terms of the opening, i just highlight again and have no clue where that puck went..has to be between elbow and body on the tender, but looks like he has his elbow tight to his body...a view from behind the net would be great. When he first scored, i thought it had to have gone top far corner, but no, it went through his body somehow.

They just showed a bunch of different angles on The Instigators’ and it looked like it went in far post, low. Didn’t appear to go though any part of the goalie’s body and pads. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Damn, make this permanent, in honor of the Aud for some of you youngins

The Aud was such a cool place to watch a game. You could see the ice so well.

I remember the first time I watched a game from the 300’s there as a kid. I can vividly remember how steep it was. Pretty sure I was scared of falling. lol 

I spent a lot of time in that place over the years. 

I have just started playing with OBS Studio and last nights game was the first one I tried recording video on.   I can record at 60 frames a second and then step through the results.  Here are the last two pics before the puck disappears.  I believe Eichel's shoulder is in the way and the puck goes in between the goalies glove and his leg pad.  You can get an idea of what this looks like as here are the two pics just before the puck disappears. 

Also it is interesting to see this play develope.  When Eichel is first behind the net, Olofsson is in his normal shooting spot.  Olofsson then skates to the middle at just about top circle distance and #29 follows him to the middle, so #29 is between Olofsson and the net.  Then Reinhart who was by the corner skates toward the center of the ice about 10 foot from the goal.  For some reason the D-man covering Eichel sees Reinhart and he goes to cover him.   That leaves the open space for Eichel.  In the pics #29 is the closest guy but he is too late.   What we can't tell is if when the D-man moved if he yelled to any of the other guys to cover Eichel. 

Ok, I just tried to post the two pics and the file size is too large.  Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get posters to see them?

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

I have just started playing with OBS Studio and last nights game was the first one I tried recording video on.   I can record at 60 frames a second and then step through the results.  Here are the last two pics before the puck disappears.  I believe Eichel's shoulder is in the way and the puck goes in between the goalies glove and his leg pad.  You can get an idea of what this looks like as here are the two pics just before the puck disappears. 

Also it is interesting to see this play develope.  When Eichel is first behind the net, Olofsson is in his normal shooting spot.  Olofsson then skates to the middle at just about top circle distance and #29 follows him to the middle, so #29 is between Olofsson and the net.  Then Reinhart who was by the corner skates toward the center of the ice about 10 foot from the goal.  For some reason the D-man covering Eichel sees Reinhart and he goes to cover him.   That leaves the open space for Eichel.  In the pics #29 is the closest guy but he is too late.   What we can't tell is if when the D-man moved if he yelled to any of the other guys to cover Eichel. 

Ok, I just tried to post the two pics and the file size is too large.  Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get posters to see them?

Make it happen!

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Jack wants to be here. Skinner had options yet he wanted to be here. Reinhart's contract becomes open next year, and he appears to want to be here. He was one of the first individuals to be at the draft to welcome Cozens and offer his help to the newly drafted prospect.  If this team continues to be successful and shows that it is an upcoming team this franchise is going to be an appealing destination for a lot of free agents and willing to be traded players. What also makes this franchise an appealing destination is that it is led by a coach that is well known and respected by the players throughout the league. 

• Like (+1) 1

I guess I have to do this as two posts.  So here is the first pic.  The puck is just to the left of the stick blade which is in the crease.  I don't see how it would be possible to see this on a phone.  If you click the pic on a computer it is easy to see.

Goal1.JPG

Edited by Greybeard
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Damn, make this permanent, in honor of the Aud for some of you youngins

I'm old enough to remember the grays, too!

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

The Aud was such a cool place to watch a game. You could see the ice so well.

I remember the first time I watched a game from the 300’s  Oranges there as a kid. I can vividly remember how steep it was. Pretty sure I was scared of falling. lol 

I spent a lot of time in that place over the years. 

FIFY 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1