Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Damn, make this permanent, in honor of the Aud for some of you youngins

that’s awesome 

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

The Aud was such a cool place to watch a game. You could see the ice so well.

I remember the first time I watched a game from the 300’s there as a kid. I can vividly remember how steep it was. Pretty sure I was scared of falling. lol 

I spent a lot of time in that place over the years. 

Sure was. Great memories of being a kid and going to games there with my dad. Loud, crazy atmosphere for random mid week games. Key bank is a morgue compared to the Aud. We had seasons that were split between 3-4 people in the lower blues which were great. Sat in the orange a couple times and was terrified of tumbling down. Always remember how cool it was to be there catching a game on a school night, eating some nachos and never wanting the game to end. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/10/2019 at 1:28 PM, JohnC said:

The attached link is an interview of Okposo on WGR's the Instigator show. Okposo has some interested comments about Jack and the coach. This is a 14 minute segment.

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/12-10-sabres-forward-kyle-okposo-with-the-instigators

That stuff about Eichel and Krueger was awesome. Thanks for sharing. 

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-jim-montgomery-firing-hockeys-latest-bombshell/

15. Even before Jim Rutherford told The Athletic’s Josh Yohe that Alex Galchenyuk may not fit in Pittsburgh’s top 12 forwards, the Penguins were testing the market on the winger. Buffalo has considered it. There were rumblings about Ottawa, but a few sources pooh-poohed that.

He’s a UFA at year’s end. $4.9M cap hit iirc. 

I’d be ok with taking a shot on him if the price was cheap. Like a swap of one of our UFA to be defenseman. Not sure if that’s realistic or not. I have no idea what the Pens need. 

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-jim-montgomery-firing-hockeys-latest-bombshell/

He’s a UFA at year’s end. $4.9M cap hit iirc. 

I’d be ok with taking a shot on him if the price was cheap. Like a swap of one of our UFA to be defenseman. Not sure if that’s realistic or not. I have no idea what the Pens need. 

If the Sabres are going to make a money in and money out deal with the Penquins for Galchenyuk the closest comparable salaried player would be Scandella who will also be an UFA after this season. Assuming that the Sabres will be in the playoff hunt for most of the season I would recommend not making a swap. Scandella has not only been playing well but he is versatile enough to be paired with all the other defensemen. 

I'm not adverse to dealing anyone if the return is going to help this team. I don't see acquiring Galchenyuk as being a positive move for us. My position on a Risto trade has fluctuated. Right now I strongly want to keep him. He is playing well with a +9. He seems to be a Krueger favorite as indicated by him putting him on the ice at critical end of game situations.

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/buffalo-sabres/marco-scandella-7153/

5 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

The Aud was such a cool place to watch a game. You could see the ice so well.

I remember the first time I watched a game from the 300’s there as a kid. I can vividly remember how steep it was. Pretty sure I was scared of falling. lol 

I spent a lot of time in that place over the years. 

Growing up in the the Falls in the 70's in a pretty low income family, getting invited to any Sabre game was just such an unbelievable event. Every game i attended was like a Stanley Cup final to me..it was that special. October game, January game..March game..didnt matter. It was special.

Moved back to Buffalo right after college in 86 and somehow got Orange seasons in Row 1 on corner where Sabres shot twice. My mom did not go with me till a game close to Christams, and once she descended the stairs pretty much declared she  would pee her panties before going down those stairs again. She was also so proud of me  that game as beer vendor gave me a Christmas Present of a bottle of booze as we had become such good friends in two months!

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

. What also makes this franchise an appealing destination is that it is led by a coach that is well known and respected by the players throughout the league. 

You dont know that, dude has coached like all of 13 months in the league.

Buffalo has a lot of negatives to overcome no matter what us homers want to think. Hopefully Ralph gets us over the hump, but that is yet to be seen.

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If the Sabres are going to make a money in and money out deal with the Penquins for Galchenyuk the closest comparable salaried player would be Scandella who will also be an UFA after this season. Assuming that the Sabres will be in the playoff hunt for most of the season I would recommend not making a swap. Scandella has not only been playing well but he is versatile enough to be paired with all the other defensemen. 

I'm not adverse to dealing anyone if the return is going to help this team. I don't see acquiring Galchenyuk as being a positive move for us. My position on a Risto trade has fluctuated. Right now I strongly want to keep him. He is playing well with a +9. He seems to be a Krueger favorite as indicated by him putting him on the ice at critical end of game situations.

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/buffalo-sabres/marco-scandella-7153/

So you want Scandella or Pilut in the lineup? And Scandella has played well this year! This is the main problem with all these excess D..better guys are sitting

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

You dont know that, dude has coached like all of 13 months in the league.

Buffalo has a lot of negatives to overcome no matter what us homers want to think. Hopefully Ralph gets us over the hump, but that is yet to be seen.

He coached in the league a long time ago but he is well known for his experience in Europe and world tournaments. Players all over the league have relationships. They do talk to one another. You may have a different view but Krueger as a coach is an asset to attract free agents. If you disagree that is fine. That makes me all the more confident in my position. ?

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

So you want Scandella or Pilut in the lineup? And Scandella has played well this year! This is the main problem with all these excess D..better guys are sitting

Right now I would rather have Scandella over Pilut. Pilut is getting a lot of playing time in Rochester. And that is not a bad thing. This is a long and grinding season. There will be injuries. So what now seems to be an excess can in short order can be a shortage. As I have repeatedly stated having an excess of players on that unit is not something to lament, it is something to be happy about. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, JohnC said:

He coached in the league a long time ago but he is well known for his experience in Europe and world tournaments. Players all over the league have relationships. They do talk to one another. You may have a different view but Krueger as a coach is an asset to attract free agents. If you disagree that is fine. That makes me all the more confident in my position. ?

i am just saying a few months in the league and a few platitudes by players does not equal drawing power over the perceived negatives of Buffalo.Awful culture of losing,  high taxes, bad weather, miserable atmosphere in the building...ole Ralph aint got 5 rings to overcome that stuff. 

Having said all that, free agents in the NHL is fools gold no? 

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

i am just saying a few months in the league and a few platitudes by players does not equal drawing power over the perceived negatives of Buffalo.Awful culture of losing,  high taxes, bad weather, miserable atmosphere in the building...ole Ralph aint got 5 rings to overcome that stuff. 

Having said all that, free agents in the NHL is fools gold no? 

If you are not happy with the improved play of the team under Krueger then I don't know what to tell you. Is it still early in the season. Yes it is. But it is demonstrably evident. 

As far as attracting free agents I don't see that as a main source of adding talent. On the other hand I do see greater potential in making more significant trades (most likely after the season) when more cap will be cleared. As you well know I am an advocate for drafting and developing your own talent to stock your team as the most sustainable way to attain success. 

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If you are not happy with the improved play of the team under Krueger then I don't know what to tell you. Is it still early in the season. Yes it is. But it is demonstrably evident. 

As far as attracting free agents I don't see that as a main source of adding talent. On the other hand I do see greater potential in making more significant trades (most likely after the season) when more cap will be cleared. As you well know I am an advocate for drafting and developing your own talent to stock your team as the most sustainable way to attain success. 

certainly they seem to have righted the ship and are fun to watch again .Doesnt mean Bots hasn't  painted himself into a corner with all these assets and some wrong guys are playing big minutes and to me that's on Kruegar..unless Bots is forcing him to play #4 

Edited by plenzmd1

20 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

certainly they seem to have righted the ship and are fun to watch again .Doesnt mean Bots hasn't  painted himself into a corner with all these assets and some wrong guys are playing big minutes and to me that's on Kruegar..unless Bots is forcing him to play #4 

Bogo is damaged goods and a shadow of what he once was. He's now more of a defensive defenseman whose utility is more of a locker room presence than an on ice performer. He has no market value. As far as the excess number of defensemen that doesn't necessarily translate into market value. So if you can't get much in return it makes sense to stay pat. From all the reports that I have heard Botts is working the phones to try to make some deals. There isn't much of a response right now. If there are going to be deals it will be done much later. As it stands I'm not bothered by the seemingly GM inactivity because if you don't have a trade partner/s you then judiciously wait.  

Edited by JohnC

7 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Than sit his ass..does it not bother you he is getting such big minutes?

I wouldn't be playing him but that is a coach's call. The organization might be showcasing him. From what I have seen he is a battered player whose accumulation of injuries and surgeries have very much diminished him. 

Edited by JohnC

33 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Lot of coaches fired this season. I want to say this is at least the 5th since the season started. 

What a tough business! What's ironic is that Buffalo may not in its recent history be the most successful franchise but it currently seems to be one of the more stable organizations. It seems that having a plan buys your staff some time. Although that good will has a short shelf life. 

• Haha (+1) 1

The attached link is an article by Paul Hamilton from WGR mostly about McCabe and the excess on the blue line. In this column it's reported that Dahlin appears close to returning to action. Will sitting out players eventually cause discord within the unit? If the excess on that unit lasts too long maybe the rotational sitting will result in some rancor. I'm less bothered by having too many players ready to play than being shorthanded on a unit.  

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/sabres-mccabe-looking-to-get-consistency-back-into-his-game

Nice Buffalo News article on Krueger -

https://buffalonews.com/2019/12/10/buffalo-sabres-ralph-krueger-switzerland-iihf-world-championship-patrick-fischer-peter-zahner-nhl-news-2019/

Ralph Krueger changed an entire country's approach to hockey. Next: Buffalo.

Ralph Krueger's eyes swelled with tears as he stood among the crowd of 12,500 inside Stockholm's Ericsson Globe on May 19, 2013. Only a few weeks removed from his first season as a head coach in the National Hockey League, Krueger watched the fruits of what he calls his "life work" — Switzerland winning its first silver medal at the IIHF World Championship with a 5-1 loss to Sweden.

Sixteen years earlier, Swiss hockey fans and media bristled when the gregarious, effervescent coach mentioned his goal of winning a medal on the sport's biggest stage. Watching the realization of that dream remains one of Krueger's fondest hockey memories, despite his not being behind the bench.

"I'm extremely proud of what's happened to the program," said Krueger, now coach of the Buffalo Sabres.

I’ve mentioned Krueger’s time in Switzerland before so I won’t repeat everything I’ve already said, but he’s a huge reason for their sustained success and the world wide respect for the Swiss hockey program. 

Krueger's latest project is equipped with far more talent and, in his opinion, is closer to achieving its goal. The 60-year-old coach, though, is applying the same motivational techniques, defensive foundation on ice and patient approach that made Swiss hockey competitive against the best in the world.

"It's very similar, actually," said Krueger, who coached the Swiss from 1997 to 2010 before leaving for the Edmonton Oilers. "When you come into a program where there is a lot of baggage from the past that you're trying to shake off ... Switzerland was not a consistent A group team, which is hard to believe today, but it was a program that needed a big reboot. This one doesn't need a reboot. There is a way stronger foundation. We're way further along.

"But we're still a long ways away from being — I always say there are 10, 10, 10 in the NHL. There are 10 at the bottom, 10 in the middle and 10 at the top. You want to move into the 10 in the middle, first of all. We're realistic about that and I think we have a lot of hard work to do. It's a project for sure. ... It's going to be a question of time. This is going to go much faster than what I experienced in Switzerland, for sure."

Krueger said he wanted a challenge. I’ll post another interview on that in a minute.

I respect that and love that mindset. 

13 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Nice Buffalo News article on Krueger -

https://buffalonews.com/2019/12/10/buffalo-sabres-ralph-krueger-switzerland-iihf-world-championship-patrick-fischer-peter-zahner-nhl-news-2019/

Ralph Krueger changed an entire country's approach to hockey. Next: Buffalo.

I’ve mentioned Krueger’s time in Switzerland before so I won’t repeat everything I’ve already said, but he’s a huge reason for their sustained success and the world wide respect for the Swiss hockey program. 

Krueger said he wanted a challenge. I’ll post another interview on that in a minute.

I respect that and love that mindset. 

There is no question that the  Sabres have deficiencies. That's mostly evident on the forward lines. But that deficiency is steadily being addressed by the GM. (I'm sure Plez is snickering at that comment.) But what is clearly evident is that this team, deficient as it is,  under Krueger is consistently playing a harder and tighter game. For me, the model should be the Boston Bruin model where all the lines play an unrelenting two way game. They are not a flashy or super skilled team like Tampa or Toronto but they are a high energy and tough team.   

In my opinion the best game that the Sabres played this season was in the loss to Boston in the Garden. We matched the Bruins in a hard fought game that demonstrated that this was a tougher team both physically and mentally from previous years. Make no mistake I am not saying we are as good as that upper echelon caliber of team. But we are developing the same consistent work ethic on the ice that before was too intermittent. 

Are the Sabres a playoff team? I can't say for sure.  But I do believe that we can be in the playoff race up to the end of the season. I do believe that next year this team with its cap space and internal improvement will continue to move up the ranks and be a more serious team. 

• Like (+1) 1

https://theathletic.com/1447038/2019/12/10/gluttons-for-punishment-seven-first-year-coaches-discuss-buzz-challenge-of-new-gigs/

Gluttons for punishment: Seven first-year coaches discuss buzz, challenge of new gigs (Athletic sub. required)

This is a really interesting read. 

Here’s some of Krueger’s answers:

You have been away from the NHL and the North American game for six years. What is going through your head as you shift from something so dramatically different — the English Premier League — back to this?

“It’s quite simple. I am not allowing emotions into my space. From the day I made the decision, I have been extremely focused on taking care of what I need to take care of on that day and I haven’t drifted beyond that.

“The first few months were about developing a revised plan for where the NHL is today, where the speed of the game is and the lowering of the physicality and the increasing of the offense. With my assistant coaches, we developed a plan throughout the summer. I mean, we brainstormed hours and hours and hours. Once the plan was clear, it was about how to implement it. We had lots of contact with the players in the summer, lots of communication before we even came together. Every day, we have so much to work on and improve on so we have stayed on topic. I’ve just been plowing through some hard labor together with the staff and the players and that’s really it.”

How did you familiarize yourself with the NHL game after being away so long?

“I’m a coach that focuses much more on my own team than others. There’s always pre-scouting — and I don’t watch every minute — but our video guys cut them together and they know what I’m looking for. In the end, it’s been a focus mainly on us and it continues that way. We’re making sure we’re getting our principles and concepts in on a regular basis.

“As far as the need-to-know the details, I have that around me. I have that support from my coaching staff. There is so much copy and paste in the league that you try to look for the nuances and I try to look for the personality of a team. Every team has a personality and I have enough time to go team by team, even with the back-to-backs, but it is a learning process.”

Is there an inherent advantage from having worked in Europe and being familiar with so many other hockey-playing cultures?

“We have 10 (European) players. Almost half your team comes from European cultures so understanding them helps a lot: the needs of a Finnish player vs. a Czech vs. an American. They come from completely different backgrounds so it’s important to be cognizant and respectful of that. There are different buttons to push — not that everybody from a country is the same but I do feel that is an advantage I have.

“Having said that, this is such an international game now. Hockey is played very similar all over the world now. There’s no real European and North American game anymore. I think they are all meshed together. You have the different (ice) surface but the great Swedish players have a lot of the same traits as the great Americans and Canadians. Twenty years ago, there was such a different personality coming from each country. Now, everybody has homogenized the game because they have taken the best parts of different cultures.”

You didn’t get much of a chance in Edmonton. Why come back after all those years in Europe before and after the abbreviated Oilers experience?

“More than anything, I was looking at all my different experiences in life and what was the next place where I could use the maximum amount of my toolbox. This was the only role that gave me that feeling. I could have gone into team presidency or there were two groups looking to purchase teams in the Premier League that asked me to lead the purchase. I had three really weird options.

“After the Olympics and the World Cup, there was so much hockey going on inside my brain that I wasn’t able to put into play and I thought if I don’t do it now I might not ever be able to do it. I can use my leadership skills at the same time. Everything in my life seemed applicable to what Buffalo needed. It felt like the right time to come here. I took the job because it checked more boxes than any other one and the personal challenge and the respect I had for the challenge made me want to climb another really steep mountain and this was the steepest of them all. The others were quite a bit flatter and softer.

“I think it’s a renewing experience for my whole family. This is the world I was in for 25 years. We never cared where we were, whether it was in Austria or the Olympics. I just love the day-to-day life as a head coach so to be able to step back into that lifestyle, my whole family has really embraced it. My kids are adults now but this is a journey we are sharing together. It’s definitely refreshing and renewing. The people of Buffalo and this organization from Day 1 have been extremely supportive about this abstract hire.

“I could have had a lot tougher month of August or September. Friends of mine who might have questioned me taking the job because of the perception of me coming from the Premier League in a chairman role to this, but the people of Buffalo were open right from the start and that has helped a lot.”

I love the answer in bold. 

This job was/is definitely a heavy lift. Lets be honest, it’s right up there with Edmonton as one of the toughest coaching jobs in the entire NHL. 

I feel like the Sabres have never really been able to fully recovered from the tank years and the losing culture that developed because of it. For all the good it did in bringing us our stars like Eichel and Dahlin, it dug Buffalo a heck of a hole. The team was torn down to the studs in a very short amount of time. It was almost totally stripped of any veteran leadership and any semblance of a winning culture Buffalo once had left with them. I think that’s why you see many team keep some of their veteran players around through a rebuild (Pominville, for ex., would’ve been a great guy to keep). 

I feel pretty safe saying that the rebuild strategy wasn’t executed all that well... ?

Anyway... my only real point is that there is a lot of baggage that comes along with this team. 

I don't think it was realistic to expect Ralph Krueger to solve all of the sabres issues in 30 games. 

November was brutal. I almost checked out. But I’m feeling hopeful again lately. The Sabres have been trending in the right direction lately. I just hope it continues. I’m sure they’ll be more bumps, but hopefully they won’t last nearly a month...

Somehow, Buffalo is 2nd in the division. So they’re still in the race!

• Like (+1) 2