Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

40 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Key to offer sheets and Sabres is Sabres do not have their 3rd round pick this year. 

So they could do the 4 first rounders, but any offer that requires a 3rd rounder is out of the wSabres. 

Thanks for this. IMO, Marner is in the $11m AAV range. 

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

couple of things here...

1) we dont know about movement clauses yet...that can always hold up a deal

2) the structue of the signing bonuses is key to Skinner. He gets lockout protection with the first payout..not sure why he took the the next one in year 5 instead of now.

3) the lower numbers in year 7 and 8 has to have something to do with buyouts...i just dont know what or what side it benefits  LOL..will dig into that as well

It actually hurts buffalo re: a buyout. 

Front-loaded contracts actually cost more cap space to buy-out in later years than ones with flat year-to-year salaries. 

A Skinner buy-out after six years would cost $4M in year 7 and $6M in year 8, with $2M each over the two following years. On a contract that paid a flat $9M per year, the buy-out would cost $3M in cap for all four years.

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Unless there is a beach where there is plenty of radiant sun in the dead of winter Panarin's girlfriend will never allow it. Booty can be influential. I see Panarin going to Florida or maybe even NY where there is plenty of Russian company and bars serving good vodka. 

It would be interesting to learn if Botts has a genuine interest in Duchene or vice versa. 

Ive read that Botterill is legitimately interested in Duchene and that he even checked into him at the deadline. I can’t remember where I read it, though. I think the deadline thing may have been Jeremy White’s secret source, so grain of salt and all that. 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Not from the Sabres. I’d do it if I were another team, though. Why not? He’s an elite player.  But I suspect he will re-sign with the Leafs on a deal structured like Matthews’s.

Gonna take a lot more than Risto, but that’s a starting point. 

Hall entering free agency is risky, but I’d still take the chance a la Skinner. 

I can’t recall if we were in discussions with the Oilers  erode they trade Hall to New Jersey.

Yes, it was reported by legitimate sources that Chiarelli offered Hall for Risto (supposedly 3 separate times) before he was traded to NJ. 

I do understand why Tim Murray didn’t/couldn’t do it at the time, but man that would be such a perfect trade for Buffalo now. 

No way I trade for Hall now without an extension, though. Or at least knowing that he’s 100% open to signing here. Way too risky otherwise. 

Just now, BillsFan4 said:

It actually hurts buffalo re: a buyout. 

Front-loaded contracts actually cost more cap space to buy-out in later years than ones with flat year-to-year salaries. 

A Skinner buy-out after six years would cost $4M in year 7 and $6M in year 8, with $2M each over the two following years. On a contract that paid a flat $9M per year, the buy-out would cost $3M in cap for all four years.

Ive read that Botterill is legitimately interested in Duchene and that he even checked into him at the deadline. I can’t remember where I read it, though. I think the deadline thing may have been Jeremy White’s secret source, so grain of salt and all that. 

Yes, it was reported by legitimate sources that Chiarelli offered Hall for Risto (supposedly 3 separate times) before he was traded to NJ. 

I do understand why Tim Murray didn’t/couldn’t do it at the time, but man that would be such a perfect trade for Buffalo now. 

No way I trade for Hall now without an extension, though. Or at least knowing that he’s 100% open to signing here. Way too risky otherwise. 

Murray screwed this franchise in so many ways. I liked his zero f***s given attitude at times, but man, Risto for Hall was a no brainer.

23 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Murray screwed this franchise in so many ways. I liked his zero f***s given attitude at times, but man, Risto for Hall was a no brainer.

At the time, our blue line was Ristolainen, McCabe, Cody Franson, Pysyk (who turned into Kulikov after the draft), Josh gorges, Bogosian and Falk.

And Risto was playing 25 minutes a night. 

I’d probably still make the trade but I get why Murray thought the Sabres couldn’t. 

Now that we have Dahlin and Montour, it would be a no-brainer if that offer was made again. 

8 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

At the time, our blue line was Ristolainen, McCabe, Cody Franson, Pysyk (who turned into Kulikov after the draft), Josh gorges, Bogosian and Falk.

I’d probably still make the trade but I get why Murray thought the Sabres couldn’t. 

Now that we have Dahlin and Montour, it would be a no-brainer if that offer was made again. 

Yeah, that’s true. And I do have the benefit of hindsight. If I’m being totally honest when thinking back on it, we needed to keep Risto at the time. Absolutely. 

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

The Montour pick was a terrific deal. In my mind he is a legitimate second pairing defenseman. In that deal we traded one of our extra first round picks and Guhle for him. As it turned out Pilut moved ahead of Guhle in the system's defenseman ranking so losing Guhle wasn't a major loss. I'm hoping that our second first round pick can be part of a package that brings us a second line player who can be immediately added to the lineup. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...think Pegula is tired of the "perennial losers" stigma and is on board with whatever it takes......

The Pegulas were always on board with whatever it takes attitude. The mistake that they initially made is hiring the wrong people. When they first bought the hockey team they unwisely were throwing money all over the place to acquire over-valued players that ended up weighing the franchise down. To their credit the Pegulas have learned from their mistakes and have assembled a more talented and professional front office and staff in both of their holdings. 

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The Pegulas were always on board with whatever it takes attitude. The mistake that they initially made is hiring the wrong people. When they first bought the hockey team they unwisely were throwing money all over the place to acquire over-valued players that ended up weighing the franchise down. To their credit the Pegulas have learned from their mistakes and have assembled a more talented and professional front office and staff in both of their holdings. 

Christian Errorhoff says, “Thank you, Mr. and Mrs. Pegula!”

He will be on their payroll through 2027-28 to the tune of $860,000 per year. 

Nice. 

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

From the BN article this morning:

‘Nuff said. He’s not overpaid by one red cent. 

And look at some of the players making over $9m this year, too.

What really impressed me about Skinner is that even when he was going through his scoring drought his level of play and effort never changed. Other than the puck not going in his play was always at a high level. I think it was you that pointed out that although it was not publicized he was playing with an injured ankle on a gruesome play that looked like it should have been broken. Shortly thereafter he was back on the ice with a little less verve. As you said he is not overpaid and the team got more than its money's worth.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

What really impressed me about Skinner is that even when he was going through his scoring drought his level of play and effort never changed. Other than the puck not going in his play was always at a high level. I think it was you that pointed out that although it was not publicized he was playing with an injured ankle on a gruesome play that looked like it should have been broken. Shortly thereafter he was back on the ice with a little less verve. As you said he is not overpaid and the team got more than its money's worth.  

And he was playing hurt, too. When he got his lower leg wrenched against the Caps(?), I thought he’d suffered a gruesome injury, but he came back later and kept playing through it. Dude has the right stuff for sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Christian Errorhoff says, “Thank you, Mr. and Mrs. Pegula!”

He will be on their payroll through 2027-28 to the tune of $860,000 per year. 

Nice. 

You hit a bullseye! For some people having a fat wallet is more important than having integrity. I rank this expenditure as foolish as the Rex expenditure. What's the definition of fraud? 

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

.....excellent call John...I give them high marks for admitting their mistakes followed by a supreme effort to atone....when they bought the club as neophytes, they stayed with status quo....Regier was a useless snake who threw Lindy under the bus and his scam became evident....LaFontaine was a hometown "name hire" who cowardly  bailed when Murray traded Miller...Rolston was a joke.....Dan B was NOT ready ......Housley, although appearing to be ready after Asst Coach stint with Preds, was not and yet another name infatuation...here's to hoping we have it right THIS TIME..........

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....excellent call John...I give them high marks for admitting their mistakes followed by a supreme effort to atone....when they bought the club as neophytes, they stayed with status quo....Regier was a useless snake who threw Lindy under the bus and his scam became evident....LaFontaine was a hometown "name hire" who cowardly  bailed when Murray traded Miller...Rolston was a joke.....Dan B was NOT ready ......Housley, although appearing to be ready after Asst Coach stint with Preds, was not and yet another name infatuation...here's to hoping we have it right THIS TIME..........

There is another aspect to the owners willingness to spend on behalf of their teams. They have upgraded the facilities and training staff to an elite level. One of the first things that the Pegulas (mostly Kim) did was upgraded the locker and training room for the hockey team. And they did the same for the football team. 

Without question they have made glaring mistakes as first time owners. They would admit to that. But they have learned what it takes to be good owners. As in any endeavor you learn by your mistakes and through experience. Western NY is very fortunate to have them involved not only with the franchises but also in the community.

• Thank you (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

There is another aspect to the owners willingness to spend on behalf of their teams. They have upgraded the facilities and training staff to an elite level. One of the first things that the Pegulas (mostly Kim) did was upgraded the locker and training room for the hockey team. And they did the same for the football team. 

Without question they have made glaring mistakes as first time owners. They would admit to that. But they have learned what it takes to be good owners. As in any endeavor you learn by your mistakes and through experience. Western NY is very fortunate to have them involved not only with the franchises but also in the community.

...EXACTLY why I cannot stomach and loathe references to Pegulas being "clueless owners"......they also own the AHL affiliate Rochester Americans as a developmental club for the Sabres....PSE has taken over Blue Cross Arena management as well as committing 10 million PERSONALLY for facility upgrades.....yup, they don't give a rat's azz.....SMH.........

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Thank God Botts got it done. Now let’s add Duchene in FA.

"Dufresne Duchene, party of two, Dufresne Duchene, party of two." But then if no one answers they'll just go right on to the next name. "Bush, party of three." Yeah, what happened to the Dufresnes? No one seems to give a *****. Who can eat at a time like this? People are missing!

That would be a great signing if they find Duchene.  And if he's eaten.  Mitch Hedberg is one of the all time greats IMO

Edited by Pete

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...EXACTLY why I cannot stomach and loathe references to Pegulas being "clueless owners"......they also own the AHL affiliate Rochester Americans as a developmental club for the Sabres....PSE has taken over Blue Cross Arena management as well as committing 10 million PERSONALLY for facility upgrades.....yup, they don't give a rat's azz.....SMH......…

Does SMH mean: "So much Horseshiiit"? Very often I am not with it. :)

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Key to offer sheets and Sabres is Sabres do not have their 3rd round pick this year. 

So they could do the 4 first rounders, but any offer that requires a 3rd rounder is out of the wSabres. 

It would be 4 1sts. 

10 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Skinner wrote a story for NHL.com on staying in buffalo. 

Nice. Love the cut of this man’s jib. 

Smart move to polish Eichel’s Apple, too. He knows who’s gonna feed him the next eight years. Diplomacy is always a good thing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He mentions that now that they’ve signed Skinner, Buffalo is hoping to be able to add a 2C and top 6 winger either through trade or free agency. Says that they have kicked the tires on Jason Zucker.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

He mentions that now that they’ve signed Skinner, Buffalo is hoping to be able to add a 2C and top 6 winger. Says that they have kicked the tires on Jason Zucker.

It appears that a number of teams are interested in Zucker. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2839858-nhl-trade-rumors-latest-buzz-on-jason-zucker-phil-kessel-and-more

Good stuff @john wawrow

44 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Yeah, I’m not surprised. 

I think he's due for a nice bounce back season next year, and he’s going to be motivated as all hell after having 2 separate trades fall through. 

He has good underlying stats, too. His possession metrics are very good and He has a huge influence on expected goals at both ends of the ice. The Wild create more dangerous opportunities with him on the ice, and his play is almost always a net positive in both the offensive and defensive zone. 

I could see Zucker breaking out on a new team similar to Niederreiter after he was traded from Minnesota. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This is a Buffalo News link indicating what some of the GM's options are to adding talent after the signing of Skinner.  The more the young players are on the roster the more financial flexibility the GM will have to add players. It's more likely that a few solid to good players will be added rather than splurging on an elite player. That strategy can change if Risto is dealt and the return in talent is commensurate. 

https://buffalonews.com/2019/06/08/buffalo-sabres-jeff-skinner-jason-botterill-jason-pominville-rasmus-ristolainen-nhl-news-2019/

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, JohnC said:

This is a Buffalo News link indicating what some of the GM's options are to adding talent after the signing of Skinner.  The more the young players are on the roster the more financial flexibility the GM will have to add players. It's more likely that a few solid to good players will be added rather than splurging on an elite player. That strategy can change if Risto is dealt and the return in talent is commensurate. 

https://buffalonews.com/2019/06/08/buffalo-sabres-jeff-skinner-jason-botterill-jason-pominville-rasmus-ristolainen-nhl-news-2019/

You get the TOP players not some "good" players.

4 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

You really don't.  All you have to do is look at how the Blues are built.

Lol you wouldn't have said that last year. So you want the Sabres to be a fluke like the Blues? Come on even you should have common sense and not use one anomaly and pretend that is the way to do business.

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

You really don't.  All you have to do is look at how the Blues are built.

I agree with you that it is better to add a few good players than splurge on a super player that would preclude you from balancing out the other parts of the roster. In the not too distant future the organization will have to be offering a max contract to Dahlin, and even sooner the contract to Reinhart will have to be addressed. 

For those who are advocating emptying the coffers for a super star player I ask which player/s will be available for Buffalo? As you astutely pointed out the Blues are a good argument for having a fuller and more balanced roster, and so is Boston. 

1 hour ago, Boca BIlls said:

Lol you wouldn't have said that last year. So you want the Sabres to be a fluke like the Blues? Come on even you should have common sense and not use one anomaly and pretend that is the way to do business.

If you think the Blues are a fluke, you don't know much about hockey. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

You don't need a roster full of stars--you need four good lines.   Balanced scoring and puck possession throughout the lineup, which is what the Sabres had during the 10-game winning streak, is WAY more important than having a handful of big name guys that everyone's heard of.

The Sabres have maybe one and a half good forward lines and three good d-men.   Filling out the second and third lines should be the goal this year, along with adding another quality player to the back line...

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Lurker said:

You don't need a roster full of stars--you need four good lines.   Balanced scoring and puck possession throughout the lineup, which is what the Sabres had during the 10-game winning streak, is WAY more important than having a handful of big name guys that everyone's heard of.

The Sabres have maybe one and a half good forward lines and three good d-men.   Filling out the second and third lines should be the goal this year, along with adding another quality player to the back line...

Yep. Like Lindy always said back in the day, “Roll four!”

Why did WGR/One Bills Live even bother carrying the damn press conference?! They showed less than 1/4 of it. 

They cut it off after like the 2nd or 3rd question, only a couple minutes in. How stupid. Thankfully the Sabres website had the whole thing.