Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

The below link is a ranking of prospects. With respect to Caufield his ranking jumped up from 15 to 8. He's a player who is on the rise. Where we are drafting I don't see a selection offering immediate help. The best approach to drafting regarding the hockey draft or any draft in any sport is to select the best talent. 

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectbrowse.htm

11 hours ago, JohnC said:

Simple solution to your revulsion toward the team: Ignore them. I'm confident that they would survive without your support. :)

I am not repulsed by the team, I am saddened by them but continue to root for them.  

The gist of my post was more to point out that you seem to be calling Plenz a vomitous drunk because he doesn't agree with your view of the team.  His view however is more in line with what has happened on ice than is yours.

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I am not repulsed by the team, I am saddened by them but continue to root for them.  

The gist of my post was more to point out that you seem to be calling Plenz a vomitous drunk because he doesn't agree with your view of the team.  His view however is more in line with what has happened on ice than is yours.

You are a whack job. Direct your attention to someone else.  

12 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

The way the Sabres have been managed for the last few years is pretty rancid.

You missed an obvious Tim Horton's joke here.  You're officially slipping.

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

^ full press conference. Krueger is definitely a talker.... lol. 

Really liked this answer. 

Does bove have a beef with Paul Hamilton?  What does (the worst) mean?

39 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

here is the full 1 on 1 interview with Krueger  - 

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/1-on-1-with-ralph-krueger/t-277437090/c-68394503

Amazing interview! Wow. It gets better as it goes on. Definitely a must listen in my opinion. I love this guy. 

Agree 100%. I get the sense he knows what buttons to push on which players and when to push them. 

His intellect is off the charts. Gonna be an adjustment for me, post Housley. 

• Like (+1) 1

The attached link is a WGR article by Paul Hamilton on his interview with Caufiled. There is nothing new other than he becomes more attractive as a prospect to me as the draft approaches.  Caufield points out in the interview that small statured players such as DeBrincat, Gallagher and Marchessault have thrived in today's NHL that emphasizes skill and speed over muscle and size. The question remains whether he will be available when we draft at the seven spot. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/cole-caufield-brings-goals-nhl-draft-vancouver

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

The attached link is a WGR article by Paul Hamilton on his interview with Caufiled. There is nothing new other than he becomes more attractive as a prospect to me as the draft approaches.  Caufield points out in the interview that small statured players such as DeBrincat, Gallagher and Marchessault have thrived in today's NHL that emphasizes skill and speed over muscle and size. The question remains whether he will be available when we draft at the seven spot. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/cole-caufield-brings-goals-nhl-draft-vancouver

More I read and see, the more I want this kid. I think he’s Krueger’s kind of player, too. 

11 minutes ago, K-9 said:

More I read and see, the more I want this kid. I think he’s Krueger’s kind of player, too. 

Krueger stresses the importance of playing the right way away from the puck in both zones. Caufield has that awareness of working to be in the right location to receive the puck and shoot. 

I checked the player rankings at the midpoint of the season. He was ranked 15. After the season concluded with additional scrutiny he was ranked 8. So clearly he is moving up the ranks. As the draft approaches he might move up a couple more rungs up the ladder. Although right now he is my preferred prospect, minus the top three or four players, we should come out of this draft with a high end prospect who should be close to being ready in a couple to few years. 

10 hours ago, JohnC said:

But, now I read that the Blues and Bruins are the two biggest, heaviest, most physical teams - and they're the ones still standing??

On 6/5/2019 at 9:31 PM, K-9 said:

Agree 100%. I get the sense he knows what buttons to push on which players and when to push them. 

His intellect is off the charts. Gonna be an adjustment for me, post Housley. 

Yeah, I'm starting to fall into the trap of going from "who is this guy that was running a soccer team" to "holy crap how did we get this guy" -- he's a hell of a speaker, that's for sure.

4 hours ago, bbb said:

But, now I read that the Blues and Bruins are the two biggest, heaviest, most physical teams - and they're the ones still standing??

How big is Marchand? How big is Skinner? Not every player is big. It's about having the right mix and role players. There certainly is a role for players who can score especially on a team that has a dearth of scorers. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

How big is Marchand? How big is Skinner? How big is Chicago's Kane? Not every player is big. It's about having the right mix and role players. There certainly is a role for players who can score especially on a team that has a dearth of scorers. 

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

How big is Marchand? How big is Skinner? Not every player is big. It's about having the right mix and role players. There certainly is a role for players who can score especially on a team that has a dearth of scorers. 

Winning systems rotate in every sport IMO.  Build the roster to your vision and execute.  If that means big and strong/small and quick or some hybrid then fine.

Some day some baseball team will opt for pitchers that are smart and mix pitches like Greg Maddux did.  But for now the "winning system" is a roster full of pitchers who throw 94 until their shoulder falls off.  Greg Maddux would be drafted in the 30th round if at all.

That said, a team with a ton of need and a ton of cap space can't have a system so dysfunctional that players like Skinner apparently want out or at the very least are not easily convinced to stay on board.  Something needs fixing and before July 1 in this case. Krueger speaks well and does not appear to be a dummy but is that enough to attract players?  Something is wrong and needs to be righted.