Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

25 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

You are the Scott Law of Sabres' posters. The team fumbled the rebuild, but they have a fair chance to be quite good in a few years. They are certainly not the worst team in all of sports.

They have been for about the last 5+ years as well documented in the article above.  

Fair chance to be quite good in a few years?  That should win many equivocation awards.  Put a stake in the ground.  Will the Sabres make the playoffs before Seattle does?

43 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

They have been for about the last 5+ years as well documented in the article above.  

Fair chance to be quite good in a few years?  That should win many equivocation awards.  Put a stake in the ground.  Will the Sabres make the playoffs before Seattle does?

Depends on if Seattle makes the playoffs their inaugural season, in which case it will be a tie. Outside chance the Sabres make it this year. 

Edited by Dr. Who

The Sabres prospect challenge starts tonight at 7pm. It will be streamed live on Sabres.com for anyone within the local broadcast market. I’m not sure, but New Jersey might potentially have a stream available for those outside the Sabres local market (they did last year, anyway).

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

You are the Scott Law of Sabres' posters. The team fumbled the rebuild, but they have a fair chance to be quite good in a few years. They are certainly not the worst team in all of sports.

They have. Even by winning percentage. 

5 hours ago, eball said:

My biggest surprise reading that was in realizing Okposo is still on the roster.

The really fun part is EVERY SINGLE PLAYER IS STILL HERE!!’

only person who is gone is Pommer, which is the one dude who should still be on the team! 

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

They have. Even by winning percentage. 

The really fun part is EVERY SINGLE PLAYER IS STILL HERE!!’

only person who is gone is Pommer, which is the one dude who should still be on the team! 

Miller, Vesey and Johansson will be on the roster this year. They will be bumping off some of the previous roster players. Last year Olofsson played at the end of the year. This year he will be a full time regular. Pilut will probably start off in Rochester coming off an injury. But some time in the season he will likely be with Buffalo. There is a good chance that Jokiharju will make the roster. If Risto gets traded he will most likely be with the big club. If Risto gets traded prior to the season or during the season the player who will come in the exchange will probably be a second line forward. 

The Sabres have approximately a half a dozen of players with expiring contracts this year. So by next season the roster will continue to be turned over even more. The point is that the players who were here last year will be steadily dispatched and replaced with better players and developing players. That's the process. 

Edited by JohnC

@JohnC, the point is right now they have every single stinking player who played on essentially a last place team back this year. 

Tell season ticket holders or people Lomé me who go to 10+ games a year that last years players will be “

steadily dispatched” over the next couple years, and just continue to eat the poop sandwich we have fed you for the last 4 years”

You do understand the purpose of pro sports is to win right? 

Sounds like you are not expecting olayoffs for at least two more years, or year 5 of JBots. Damn I wish I had his job. 

33 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

@JohnC, the point is right now they have every single stinking player who played on essentially a last place team back this year. 

Tell season ticket holders or people Lomé me who go to 10+ games a year that last years players will be “

steadily dispatched” over the next couple years, and just continue to eat the poop sandwich we have fed you for the last 4 years”

You do understand the purpose of pro sports is to win right? 

Sounds like you are not expecting olayoffs for at least two more years, or year 5 of JBots. Damn I wish I had his job. 

You made the point that the players who are coming into camp will all be on the roster. It's obvious that isn't an accurate statement because they brought in three free agents who will be replacing players who were on last year's roster. I believe that there will be even more turnover of the roster. I don't think that is an unreasonable or inaccurate comment.

I do believe the Sabres will be better this year than last year. I know you are a betting man so I would recommend to you that you don't bet on them making the playoffs this year. Hold off that bet and wait another year when the younger players get better and more talent is added. 

The reason why the Sabres have pooped for so long (your phrasing) is because the owner made stupid front office hires for the first few years that set this franchise back. Our current GM had to address the mess and run the operation in a more professional and rational manner. Whether you like it or not it takes time. 

12 hours ago, JohnC said:

You made the point that the players who are coming into camp will all be on the roster. It's obvious that isn't an accurate statement because they brought in three free agents who will be replacing players who were on last year's roster. I believe that there will be even more turnover of the roster. I don't think that is an unreasonable or inaccurate comment.

I do believe the Sabres will be better this year than last year. I know you are a betting man so I would recommend to you that you don't bet on them making the playoffs this year. Hold off that bet and wait another year when the younger players get better and more talent is added. 

The reason why the Sabres have pooped for so long (your phrasing) is because the owner made stupid front office hires for the first few years that set this franchise back. Our current GM had to address the mess and run the operation in a more professional and rational manner. Whether you like it or not it takes time. 

That's not what he said.  He said they are ALL on the roster now.  Okposo is an example.  He seems like a good dude but there is no reason for him to be on an NHL roster any more.  Yet here he is talking about his adventures with the new coach.  Maybe the new coach can Tony Robbins Okposo into being 25 again.  Is that the theory?

The Sabres either have poorly set organizational goals, or a roster unequipped to achieve goals.  Or both.  A lot of teams make the playoffs in the NHL.  It isn't a big ask at all.

The odds of a random team missing the NHL playoffs 8 straight years are roughly three tenths of one percent.  Once that lofty goal has been achieved, there is no reason whatsoever for a team to have a hopeless roster that relies on guys who can't do a chin up for their turnaround.

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

this kid needs to make the roster..i know, game has gone away from this..maybe the Sabres need to be the hardest working team again to get some mojo back

• Like (+1) 1

The below link is an article by Mike Harrington from the Buffalo News. The article focuses on Eichel but the most interesting part is the last section on Risto and his attitude if he is kept. I may be over-interpreting that small segment but the impression is that there is a determination to move him. 

https://buffalonews.com/2019/09/06/buffalo-sabres-jack-eichel-nhl-mike-harrington/?view=getnewpost

11 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The below link is an article by Mike Harrington from the Buffalo News. The article focuses on Eichel but the most interesting part is the last section on Risto and his attitude if he is kept. I may be over-interpreting that small segment but the impression is that there is a determination to move him. 

https://buffalonews.com/2019/09/06/buffalo-sabres-jack-eichel-nhl-mike-harrington/?view=getnewpost

That ought to increase his value.  Well played yet again Botts.

19 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Eichel’s quote about that smacks of  either a “leader” who doesn’t get along with Risto, or someone who knows that a Risto trade is a foregone conclusion, or both.

"I think everyone is expecting him to show up, right? He's under contract," Eichel said. "But I can't really comment on that much. I'm not Risto. I'm not Jason, doing Jason's job. If he's in the locker room at camp, part of the team, I think you go about business normally. You want him to be completely bought in and want to be there, but I guess we'll see what happens in the next week."

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, snafu said:

Eichel’s quote about that smacks of  either a “leader” who doesn’t get along with Risto, or someone who knows that a Risto trade is a foregone conclusion, or both.

"I think everyone is expecting him to show up, right? He's under contract," Eichel said. "But I can't really comment on that much. I'm not Risto. I'm not Jason, doing Jason's job. If he's in the locker room at camp, part of the team, I think you go about business normally. You want him to be completely bought in and want to be there, but I guess we'll see what happens in the next week."

Eichel is from Mass.  Those guys aren't always easy.

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

this kid needs to make the roster..i know, game has gone away from this..maybe the Sabres need to be the hardest working team again to get some mojo back

I understand your sentiment about Pekar and the need for an infusion of energy and pugnacity to the team. The bigger issue is what is in his best interests for his development. If he went back to the juniors or played in Rochester he would get an abundance of playing time, maybe 20 minutes or more per game. If he started with the Sabres he probably wouldn't be getting more than 10 to 14 minutes per game. In the long run, or not too distant long run, playing more in the lower levels and using the time to more physically and emotionally develop and hone your skills might be the better approach to take.

Last year, there was a consideration to have Olofsson start the season with the Sabres. The organization decided to start him off in Rochester where he thrived. They then brought him up at the end of the year dwhere he played well. Tage Thompson started last season with Buffalo and mightily struggled. He was eventually sent back to Rochester where he regained his confidence and his game. I had no problem with exposing him to the NHL but for the sake of his development he should have been sent down sooner.

Yzerman is one of the best GM's in the game. He was instrumental in building two long term successful franchises in Tampa and Detroit. He recently went back to Detroit to take over that flagging operation. In an interview at the draft he was asked what would he do to help Detroit get back to being successful again. He succinctly stated: Draft and develop. That's the standard process for success in the NHL. And that is what Botts is currently doing.  

Edited by JohnC
spelling

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/sharpen-up-september-7-2019/c-308966952

prospect challenge continues tonight at 7pm. It will again be streamed live on Sabres.com.

It was a pretty good showing by the Sabres prospects last night. I was impressed with the first 2 periods. They seemed to let off the gas a bit in the 3rd. They were up 6-1 though. Probably didn’t want to embarrass NJ too much...lol (j/k) 

4 hours ago, snafu said:

Im not reading too much into it. He was asked about the Risto trade comments. What else was he supposed to say?

I agree with him.

• Like (+1) 1