John Warrow’s High Praise For Beane & McDermott Regime

Just now, Chemical said:

He had to admit his mistake. It was one of the most obvious GM failures in recent memory. You don’t get “credit” for admitting you caused an obvious disaster. 

As far as Dareus goes. They could’ve had more patience. Same with oreilly and the sabres.  They’re just overreacting to perceived character issues and losing talented players for nothing. His former coach had no problem being reunited with him. 

No, YOU don’t give him credit. Others can and I do. He tried something, it didn’t work. He owned it, moved on, and tried to correct it. You seem to see that as some sort of character flaw. Are you so f**king perfect that you’ve never screwed up, admitted it, and tried to correct it? 

Dareus wanted out of Buffalo. Period. End of story. His character issues notwithstanding, and there were several. His chronic tardiness issues, showing up fat and out of shape, being one more infraction away from a suspension, and half assed efforts the first month of the season, were not “perceived.” They were DEMONSTRATED. More than a few times, too. More patience? McDermott gave him 10 months to get on board and turn it around. Other coaches may not have been so patient.

As for reuniting with Marrone? Good for them! Feel free to play some Peaches and Herb in their honor. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

He didn't have to admit his mistake.  I agree with K-9; kudos to Beane for owning up to it and making better decisions moving forward.  It's not like every ***** GM since Kelly left hasn't completely ***** up the QB position.  But let's keep busting Beane's balls for a mistake that he made and moved on from.

I was a big Dareus fan.  But it was as clear as day that he needed to go.  He didn't want to play for the Bills anymore and he showed it in the end.

Trading him was the right thing to do if one takes the time to put the decision into context.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Yes it was.  Unquestionably.  

I haven’t heard any convincing arguments for the trade. “He didn’t want to be here” isn’t good enough considering all the other reasons it was a mistake. 

Sonwe we are giving “kudos” and “credit” for mistakes almost immediately? Grow up 

Just now, Chemical said:

I haven’t heard any convincing arguments for the trade. “He didn’t want to be here” isn’t good enough considering all the other reasons it was a mistake. 

Sonwe we are giving “kudos” and “credit” for mistakes almost immediately? Grow up 

Trading a player who is miserable to the point they're not playing is a good enough reason.

Many GMs in the NFL and other sports do NOT acknowledge mistakes.  In fact, most try to either justify them or place blame elsewhere.

So I absolutely give him credit for putting himself out there, taking his lumps and moving in a better direction.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Chemical said:

You don't want to be convinced.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Gugny said:

Trading a player who is miserable to the point they're not playing is a good enough reason.

Many GMs in the NFL and other sports do NOT acknowledge mistakes.  In fact, most try to either justify them or place blame elsewhere.

So I absolutely give him credit for putting himself out there, taking his lumps and moving in a better direction.

Ok fine give him credit whatever that means. But will you admit the debit from the mistake is larger than the credit you’re trying so hard to give him?

Just now, Chemical said:

Ok fine give him credit whatever that means. But will you admit the debit from the mistake is larger than the credit you’re trying so hard to give him?

I'll do nothing of the sort.  You act like the Bills were ONE RUN STUFFER away from the ***** Super Bowl.  Get your head out of your ass, dude.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Grow up?  Try again junior.  If you look at what McD and Beane want to do in constructing a team it was unquestionably correct.  Again, your highest paid guy can't be your biggest problem child.  And McD tried to get through to him as pointed out above.  He would not get with the program so they traded him.  And he has about ten more combined tackles and 1 more sack than Star last year.  We did not lose much; both guys are looked at more as guys who take on multiple blocks and tie things up for other guys to make plays. 

You are stuck in a time warp where Dareus was the guy that had an AllPro year before his big contract.  He wasn't that guy under McD, he isn't that guy now in Jville.

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Gugny said:

I'll do nothing of the sort.  You act like the Bills were ONE RUN STUFFER away from the ***** Super Bowl.  Get your head out of your ass, dude.

Haha ok then you’re obviously delusional. He traded Mccarron and started peterman but the fact that he admitted it was a mistake is a positive overall for you?

Just now, Chemical said:

What  more convincing do you need? He wanted out and acted like it. That’s all the reason a head coach needs and he was accommodated. 

Ah, but it doesn’t jibe with YOUR expertise in running an NFL team and so it was wrong. I understand. People of your particular genius always seem to need more convincing. A pity you have to suffer McBeane and other less visionary football savants like yourself. Must be very frustrating for you. 

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

You’d think more fans would find that refreshing. 

Someone should warn the never satisfied masses there will be other mistakes made by this and future regimes. 

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

What  more convincing do you need? He wanted out and acted like it. That’s all the reason a head coach needs and he was accommodated. 

Ah, but it doesn’t jibe with YOUR expertise in running an NFL team and so it was wrong. I understand. People of your particular genius always seem to need more convincing. A pity you have to suffer McBeane and other less visionary football savants like yourself. Must be very frustrating for you. 

so by that same logic the oreilly trade was a good one? At least there they got a late 1st rd pick. 

Maybe y’all should follow Beane’s example and admit when he makes a mistake. I would give you a large amount of “credit” if you did. 

Just now, Chemical said:

Haha ok then you’re obviously delusional. He traded Mccarron and started peterman but the fact that he admitted it was a mistake is a positive overall for you?

Having Peterman and a rookie heading into the regular season without a veteran in the mix was the mistake.

Trading McCarron was a no-brainer.

If you disagree, then you simply weren't watching the entire pre-season evolve.

The positive is that Beane showed that he held himself accountable.  I'm really, really sorry if you're so shallow as to not see that.

Just now, Gugny said:

Having Peterman and a rookie heading into the regular season without a veteran in the mix was the mistake.

Trading McCarron was a no-brainer.

If you disagree, then you simply weren't watching the entire pre-season evolve.

The positive is that Beane showed that he held himself accountable.  I'm really, really sorry if you're so shallow as to not see that.

Shallow? I just want you to be aware that the personal insults are starting to fly from a few ppl and I’m not one of them. Seems to be a trend when someone tries to be the least bit critical of this coach or GM. 

I don’t care what he admits to. It was a mistake. It’s a negative stain on his record as a GM. He has made a lot of them in my opinion. Hopefully it works out. We will see. 

3 minutes ago, Chemical said:

He didn't say that was a mistake.  I believe he said not bringing another veteran in like Anderson was a mistake.  Trading McCarron was understandable; Peterman beat him out in camp.  Plus McCarron fractured his leg, didn't he.  And yes, it is refreshing to see the GM admit a mistake publicly and no, it doesn't excuse it.

Playing Peterman as often as they did was wrong.  And I don't think anyone would disagree.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Chemical said:

so by that same logic the oreilly trade was a good one? At least there they got a late 1st rd pick. 

Maybe y’all should follow Beane’s example and admit when he makes a mistake. I would give you a large amount of “credit” if you did. 

Not a question of good and bad. 

Just necessary, unfortunately. 

Some situations become untenable over time. 

Maybe “y’all” should acquaint yourself with the volumes of posts where we’ve all said on multiple occasions during the course of the seasons they’ve been here that they made mistakes. 

It’s a question of perspective and being grownup about situations we have no control over.

Just now, Chemical said:

Shallow? I just want you to be aware that the personal insults are starting to fly from a few ppl and I’m not one of them. Seems to be a trend when someone tries to be the least bit critical of this coach or GM. 

I don’t care what he admits to. It was a mistake. It’s a negative stain on his record as a GM. He has made a lot of them in my opinion. Hopefully it works out. We will see. 

I was very critical of the lack of preparedness re: the QB position.  I've been more critical of McDermott's in-game coaching than anything Beane has done wrong (or what I perceive to be wrong).

But I also give credit where it's due.  It is rare for a GM of any sport to come out and say, "yeah ... I effed up."  And when he did it, my first thought was, "how refreshing."  It showed that he is accountable.  It showed that he was responsive.

Let's both take a moment and make a list of all NFL GMs who never ***** up.  Okay, I'm done.  Here's what I came up with:

GMs all make mistakes.  HCs all make mistakes.  Rookie QBs make mistakes.  But many fans think they should never make one, and that growth into a position is unacceptable.  That's not the way the world works.  You make mistakes and those with integrity admit them, try to learn from them and work hard to not make another one.

Bill Polian I think once said a GM is really successful if 50% of his draft picks wind up making the roster.  

Just now, K-9 said:

Not a question of good and bad. 

Just necessary, unfortunately. 

Some situations become untenable over time. 

Maybe “y’all” should acquaint yourself with the volumes of posts where we’ve all said on multiple occasions during the course of the seasons they’ve been here that they made mistakes. 

It’s a question of perspective and being grownup about situations we have no control over.

No it’s not. It’s a debate about whether the GM is doing a good job.  Nothing more nothing less.

You’re using that as a cop out. As soon as you get to a dead end in your logic it’s “what does it matter anyway?! Let’s just move on”

And that is childish not grownup. 

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

GMs all make mistakes.  HCs all make mistakes.  Rookie QBs make mistakes.  But many fans think they should never make one, and that growth into a position is unacceptable.  That's not the way the world works.  You make mistakes and those with integrity admit them, try to learn from them and work hard to not make another one.

Bill Polian I think once said a GM is really successful if 50% of his draft picks wind up making the roster.  

I agree and. No i don’t think they should never make one. I just noticed a trend of poor decisions. Some obvious, some are just my opinion. But the Dareus trade is an obvious one as is the QB situation to start the season. 

27 minutes ago, K-9 said:

No, YOU don’t give him credit. Others can and I do. He tried something, it didn’t work. He owned it, moved on, and tried to correct it. You seem to see that as some sort of character flaw. Are you so f**king perfect that you’ve never screwed up, admitted it, and tried to correct it? 

Dareus wanted out of Buffalo. Period. End of story. His character issues notwithstanding, and there were several. His chronic tardiness issues, showing up fat and out of shape, being one more infraction away from a suspension, and half assed efforts the first month of the season, were not “perceived.” They were DEMONSTRATED. More than a few times, too. More patience? McDermott gave him 10 months to get on board and turn it around. Other coaches may not have been so patient.

As for reuniting with Marrone? Good for them! Feel free to play some Peaches and Herb in their honor.

Soothing, so soothing. :)

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=music+peaches+and+herb&view=detail&mid=2F034BA71585DEC2ECA72F034BA71585DEC2ECA7&FORM=VIRE

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Chemical said:

No it’s not. It’s a debate about whether the GM is doing a good job.  Nothing more nothing less.

You’re using that as a cop out. As soon as you get to a dead end in your logic it’s “what does it matter anyway?! Let’s just move on”

Who’s at a dead end? The debate about whether the GM is doing a good job is a fluid situation. Imo, it’s a mixed bag at this time. 

Having perspective about not getting upset about things of out of your control, is a foundation of grownup thinking, whereas ranting and raving or otherwise getting upset is childish. Pretty simple concept. 

Can you refer me to a post of mine where I’ve said “what does it matter?” I’m sure I have at times, but in this discussion I don’t recall. And if I’m gonna be called out for it, I’d appreciate some context before I respond. 

Just now, JohnC said:

Marrone and Dareus are probably spooning to it as we speak.

17 minutes ago, Chemical said:

I agree and. No i don’t think they should never make one. I just noticed a trend of poor decisions. Some obvious, some are just my opinion. But the Dareus trade is an obvious one as is the QB situation to start the season. 

Given the fall off seen in Dareus' play, why do you think it was a bad decision?  Got rid of a guy with issues, cleared cap space.

Also, what do you see as good decisions made by the current regime?