John Warrow’s High Praise For Beane & McDermott Regime

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

Just as a point of clarification, I believe Ducasse is still on the team. I suspect it’s only a matter of time before he’s cut, though.

But he played over half of the snaps last year.........McDermott couldn't have thought he was hurting the offense?    ?

I keeed.............but I actually approve of him still being on the roster.........we've seen situations where O-lines have been thoroughly decimated by injury.............no point cutting Vlad the Imploder out of spite for his poor play in the past when it isn't costing you anything to keep a veteran who knows the offense around until you are sure you have a healthy group of better options as the season closes in.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Like there's a lot of evidence that McD makes decisions based on his pride.  

There are instances where it could certainly be construed as a factor...........KB and Peterman, for example.

I suspect that if Star stinks it up this year they will gradually cut his snaps and phase him out and take the $8M cap hit next winter but pride will be a factor.........I think they give him every chance to re-establish himself because it's going to be a BAD look if he struggles again.

17 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There are instances where it could certainly be construed as a factor...........KB and Peterman, for example.

I suspect that if Star stinks it up this year they will gradually cut his snaps and phase him out and take the $8M cap hit next winter but pride will be a factor.........I think they give him every chance to re-establish himself because it's going to be a BAD look if he struggles again.

He didn't struggle.  He ate up blocks.  That's what McD said.  And if McD was consumed with pride he would not have stood in front of the team, told them he made a mistake starting Peterman, and reinstalled Taylor as starter.

You can keep claiming the sky is green all year long if you want, but your ranting about it won't make you right.

26 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

But he played over half of the snaps last year.........McDermott couldn't have thought he was hurting the offense?    ?

I keeed.............but I actually approve of him still being on the roster.........we've seen situations where O-lines have been thoroughly decimated by injury.............no point cutting Vlad the Imploder out of spite for his poor play in the past when it isn't costing you anything to keep a veteran who knows the offense around until you are sure you have a healthy group of better options as the season closes in.

Sigh.  Maybe half the total snaps because when starting he played all downs then sat when they pulled him for Teller.  Shaw has already explained that.

I could be wrong.  Go ahead and pull his snaps per individual game and check.

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Ok Adolphus Washington played 46% of snaps in 2017..........is that an indicator whatsoever that McDermott didn't think he was hurting the defense?

I think the McDruthers would be to have a 1 tech he could play 60-65% of snaps(like he used Lotulelei in Carolina) and a 3 tech who could play about 70-73% (like Kawann Short in 2015 and 2016)...........but if he could have two Kawann Short's at DT3T then maybe he'd be OK with 50/50 like you said.:flirt:

We were very limited at DT in 2017 which is why Washington played so much.  Why do you think we have Star his contract?  Because we didn’t want to play guys at Adolphus’s level anymore, we wanted better and there’s a reason we went early after Star.  Let’s put two and two together.

Same with Ducasse.  We were limited at interior guard, which is why he played.  That’s why we signed several offensive lineman this FA period....so we don’t have to play Ducasse level players anymore.  We want better and now have the financial luxury to do so.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

He didn't struggle.  He ate up blocks.  That's what McD said.  And if McD was consumed with pride he would not have stood in front of the team, told them he made a mistake starting Peterman, and reinstalled Taylor as starter.

You can keep claiming the sky is green all year long if you want, but your ranting about it won't make you right.

Sigh.  Maybe half the total snaps because when starting he played all downs then sat when they pulled him for Teller.  Shaw has already explained that.

I could be wrong.  Go ahead and pull his snaps per individual game and check.

I didn't say McD was "consumed" by pride..........but keeping Peterman around into the 2018 season when he had shown very little upside and had produced the worst quarterbacked half of football in NFL history was either McDermott being stubborn or just a very bad judge of talent.

And don't tell @Gugny that McDermott stood in front of the team and told them benching Taylor for Peterman was a mistake.:lol:

As far as Ducasse snaps go I have no idea what your point is.    He played 53% of the Bills snaps.   Royale's argument was that Star playing 45% of snaps proved that McD really liked the work he was doing.........my point is that there are many reasons why players play significant amounts of snaps.    I mean if the Bills loved Wyatt Teller so much in place of Ducasse why did they sign and draft about 5 different guys for him to try to stave off to retain his starting job?    I think we know the answer...........they didn't really like either Ducasse or Teller. 

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We were very limited at DT in 2017 which is why Washington played so much.  Why do you think we have Star his contract?  Because we didn’t want to play guys at Adolphus’s level anymore, we wanted better and there’s a reason we went early after Star.  Let’s put two and two together.

Same with Ducasse.  We were limited at interior guard, which is why he played.  That’s why we signed several offensive lineman this FA period....so we don’t have to play Ducasse level players anymore.  We want better and now have the financial luxury to do so.

You don't give a run stopping DT the top of the market contract for that type of position just because you need something better than one of the very worst DT's in the league.

You do that because you think you are getting a really good player.

They didn't get that though and few outside of them thought they would............as I said the contract was panned as awful and that was BEFORE he played his worst season as a pro.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You don't give a run stopping DT the top of the market contract for that type of position just because you need something better than one of the very worst DT's in the league.

You do that because you think you are getting a really good player.

They didn't get that though and few outside of them thought they would............as I said the contract was panned as awful and that was BEFORE he played his worst season as a pro.

Well McDermott and Beane think differently.

They offered this contract because McDermott believes he’s an important piece to his defense.  That’s what it comes down to.

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Well McDermott and Beane think differently.

They offered this contract because McDermott believes he’s an important piece to his defense.  That’s what it comes down to.

No GM or team gets every decision right 100% of the time. Often there are shades of gray. I think we get more right than wrong under the current regime. Some arm chair GM’s want to act like they are smarter than the GM and coaches by latching on to certain things that either failed miserably (yeah, that’s YOU, KB) or are more questionable (in this case Star). Eventually, they will be judged by results and either remain employed.....or not. 

But my point is this - those who act like they KNOW should go be a GM or HC. Are they making the millions every year that our FO makes? Can they not afford the pay cut? I get we all have opinions, but if you constantly belittle the FO decisions by cherry picking a few things that don’t work out, I sure hope you are 100% right EVERY SINGLE DAY at your job. 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Vlad the Imploder is what he's always been: an okay backup guard who can give a reasonable imitation of a starter in a pinch between a decent center and OT.  Whaley signed him to backup John Mills, who had looked so promising as a rookie, but who imploded under the tutelage of McDermott and Castillo, so Ducasse became the defacto starting RG in 2017 and 2018.

54 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I didn't say McD was "consumed" by pride..........but keeping Peterman around into the 2018 season when he had shown very little upside and had produced the worst quarterbacked half of football in NFL history was either McDermott being stubborn or just a very bad judge of talent.

And don't tell @Gugny that McDermott stood in front of the team and told them benching Taylor for Peterman was a mistake.:lol:

As far as Ducasse snaps go I have no idea what your point is.    He played 53% of the Bills snaps.   Royale's argument was that Star playing 45% of snaps proved that McD really liked the work he was doing.........my point is that there are many reasons why players play significant amounts of snaps.    I mean if the Bills loved Wyatt Teller so much in place of Ducasse why did they sign and draft about 5 different guys for him to try to stave off to retain his starting job?    I think we know the answer...........they didn't really like either Ducasse or Teller. 

You may have used a different word than consumed but you said pride affected his decisions.

It's one thing to have different opinions; we can debate those honestly.  But when you refuse to own your own words as you do that's another matter entirely.

And Shaw already explained snap count differences between offense and defense but you just ignore things that show the error of your thoughts.  

Edited by oldmanfan

38 minutes ago, Augie said:

No GM or team gets every decision right 100% of the time. Often there are shades of gray. I think we get more right than wrong under the current regime. Some arm chair GM’s want to act like they are smarter than the GM and coaches by latching on to certain things that either failed miserably (yeah, that’s YOU, KB) or are more questionable (in this case Star). Eventually, they will be judged by results and either remain employed.....or not. 

But my point is this - those who act like they KNOW should go be a GM or HC. Are they making the millions every year that our FO makes? Can they not afford the pay cut? I get we all have opinions, but if you constantly belittle the FO decisions by cherry picking a few things that don’t work out, I sure hope you are 100% right EVERY SINGLE DAY at your job. 

We judge moves as fans knowing about 10% of the information Beane and McDermott have at their disposal.  We look at training camp practices, preseason games, and games and think we know a player.  We know little about a player's work ethic, attitude, intellect, temperament, who he hangs with, what the security report/background check says, how he has responded to making actual money...how can we judge?

The reason I like this regime is that all the factors outside the on-field performance matter a lot to them and I think they are vital in building a roster.  To your point, no one is going to get this 100% correct....but this team needed the hope of a franchise QB badly and this regime got rid of guys who for one reason or another didn't fit to get the best hope for a franchise QB since 2/1/1997.

Edited by JoeF
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Link?

I brought it up and so I looked back.  I don't find the one I recalled from memory; I recall something from Kyle about it.  McD stood up and said he did not regret the decision but did regret the result.  And put Taylor back in as starter.  So I can't say for sure he apologized.  I can say if he was being driven by pride he would not have stood up and admitted he didn't like the result, and that starting Taylor the next week is likewise evidence of pride not driving decisions.

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

We know why McDermott loved Peterman. Good guy, God fearing. And of course he (Peterman) said many times that only God was allowed to judge him so maybe McDermott kept him on the roster in fear of annoying the big man upstairs?

I am a big McDermott fan but I am utterly convinced that Beane had to step in on Peterman and say "Enough is enough Sean. This guy is gonna get us both fired."

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Augie said:

Let me just respond a little to this because I reckon it comes up half a dozen times a year. Being a senior exec in a Front Office pays well. But the entry level positions to an NFL front office career do not. Scouting assistants, even area and regional scouts, are not paid well and that is a barrier to people entering the profession. 

I mean in my case a visa would be an issue too but if I did decide to throw my pretty well paid job in to chase the dream of being an NFL GM it would, in the initial stages, be a significant pay cut. 

As for whether I get things wrong in my job.... I do. Probably daily. But I have never been Nathan Peterman level wrong about anything. When you make a call that blows up that badly and you stick to your guns and make the same call again and it blows up spectacularly again in a lot of jobs that is your lot. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

If McD is afraid of star players with egos can anyone explain Shady to me?  Why didn't he jettison McCoy?  If your answer is that the Bills "bought" Shady's buy-in to McD's culture I call b.s.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, eball said:

If McD is afraid of star players with egos can anyone explain Shady to me?  Why didn't he jettison McCoy?  If your answer is that the Bills "bought" Shady's buy-in to McD's culture I call b.s.

That BS is the same BS that says McD has a religious requirement for all his players.

It's all BS from people who don't like the man personally for one reason or another. EDIT: Usually that reason is the cutting of either booboo foot or rear-admiral Dareus.

Edited by Joe in Winslow
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Let me just respond a little to this because I reckon it comes up half a dozen times a year. Being a senior exec in a Front Office pays well. But the entry level positions to an NFL front office career do not. Scouting assistants, even area and regional scouts, are not paid well and that is a barrier to people entering the profession. 

I mean in my case a visa would be an issue too but if I did decide to throw my pretty well paid job in to chase the dream of being an NFL GM it would, in the initial stages, be a significant pay cut. 

As for whether I get things wrong in my job.... I do. Probably daily. But I have never been Nathan Peterman level wrong about anything. When you make a call that blows up that badly and you stick to your guns and make the same call again and it blows up spectacularly again in a lot of jobs that is your lot. 

I respect that, and good for you. Again, you are one I truly respect. I suspect some others out there are much less accomplished and just like to spout off from their couch like they know more than the FO. But this is a good example of why you don’t paint with too broad of a brush. 

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Let me ask you this.

If you have a spouse and they get a promotion or another job that pays enough to offset the pay cut....would you then consider the Front Office dream?

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Let me ask you this.

If you have a spouse and they get a promotion or another job that pays enough to offset the pay cut....would you then consider the Front Office dream?

If you are asking me personally..... I would need that spouse to be American as well in order to comply with your Visa requirements. ☺️

If I won a few million on the UK lottery (I only play about twice a year) I would quit my job, buy a green card, and write to the Bills asking them to give me an unpaid internship in the scouting department. 

• Like (+1) 1