What Did You Do With Your Tax Cut!

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Living in California it’s hard to know if I actually got a tax cut. While my uppermost earnings were taxed less by a few percent, I’m no longer able to deduct my State tax so I’m guessing it was pretty much a wash.

Dont tell Bernie though! He’s stuck on the concept that I’m STILL not paying my fair share...whatever that is.

What do you mean by the part in bold?  Almost all brackets were lowered. 

4 hours ago, DC Tom said:

I want one.

No, actually I want to build one with a Raspberry PI, on board my next build (a Red Special copy).

We need to have a guitar nerd chat some time. I'm not much of a gear head, at least compared with other people I know, but I have a few gems. I know better than to try to build a guitar (I couldn't build a box with pre-cut & drilled pieces), which means I need to buy a red spacial if i'm ever going to play one. The mind of Brian May is an amazing thing indeed. I'm not a collector, but I have a handful of guitars kicking around my home. My favorites are a pair of identical Ritchie Blackmore signature model Stratocasters (no middle pickup and scalloped frets) that I coincidentally purchased two years ago with my 2016 refund.

twins.jpg

1 hour ago, Azalin said:

We need to have a guitar nerd chat some time. I'm not much of a gear head, at least compared with other people I know, but I have a few gems. I know better than to try to build a guitar (I couldn't build a box with pre-cut & drilled pieces), which means I need to buy a red spacial if i'm ever going to play one. The mind of Brian May is an amazing thing indeed. I'm not a collector, but I have a handful of guitars kicking around my home. My favorites are a pair of identical Ritchie Blackmore signature model Stratocasters (no middle pickup and scalloped frets) that I coincidentally purchased two years ago with my 2016 refund.

twins.jpg

I have a Dean 88, which I'll probably cannibalize for a build at some point - it's got decent pickups, and a bolt-on neck with a beautiful fast fretboard (flat and wide, which I prefer - I like my guitar necks unlike my women), but I replaced the tremolo with a fixed bridge in what was pretty much a hack job - it works, but it has no sustain.  Also have a metallic blue Carvin with dual humbuckers and a middle single coil that I rewired (replaced a five-position rocker switch with three toggles).  

The problem I have with building a guitar isn't so much the building as it is the finishing.  Building's pretty easy for me.  Finishing is a pain in the ass.  I hope, someday, to finish a guitar in a deep metallic black - something like Black 3.0 with "Diamond Dust" mixed in (which I can do because I'm not Anish Kapoor or one of his associates.)

You ever read about how he put together the Red Special?  It's a remarkable conglomeration of crap that has no business being on a guitar.  He even made the damn pickups.  And he's got the harmonics so beautifully balanced for that violin-like waveform.  

I interviewed for a position on the New Horizons team several years back...which, had I got the job, would have meant working with Dr. May.  It's probably a good thing I didn't, since I would have been so busy fanboying that I would have crashed the probe into Pluto or something.  

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

I have a Dean 88, which I'll probably cannibalize for a build at some point - it's got decent pickups, and a bolt-on neck with a beautiful fast fretboard (flat and wide, which I prefer - I like my guitar necks unlike my women), but I replaced the tremolo with a fixed bridge in what was pretty much a hack job - it works, but it has no sustain.  Also have a metallic blue Carvin with dual humbuckers and a middle single coil that I rewired (replaced a five-position rocker switch with three toggles).  

The problem I have with building a guitar isn't so much the building as it is the finishing.  Building's pretty easy for me.  Finishing is a pain in the ass.  I hope, someday, to finish a guitar in a deep metallic black - something like Black 3.0 with "Diamond Dust" mixed in (which I can do because I'm not Anish Kapoor or one of his associates.)

You ever read about how he put together the Red Special?  It's a remarkable conglomeration of crap that has no business being on a guitar.  He even made the damn pickups.  And he's got the harmonics so beautifully balanced for that violin-like waveform.  

I interviewed for a position on the New Horizons team several years back...which, had I got the job, would have meant working with Dr. May.  It's probably a good thing I didn't, since I would have been so busy fanboying that I would have crashed the probe into Pluto or something.  

You can't go wrong with a black metal flake finish on pretty much any electric as far as I'm concerned - my old show guitars are both flat black (BC Rich Beast and Warlock), but I'd love it if they had that kind of sparkle to them. 

I was still in high school (and Queen only had their debut album at that point) when I read an interview with May about how he built that guitar with the help of his dad. If I remember correctly he said that the got the wood from an old oak chest. He did say that he wound the pickups himself, and I remember something about how the pole pieces all functioned independently of each other, but I can't remember the details - it was forever ago.

I'm nowhere near technologically astute enough to work in astrophysics, but if I was ever hired to work on a project like New Horizons and actually met Brian May, I'd probably get myself fired from bugging him to show me a few riffs. :lol:

We really need to make it a point - if you're ever near Austin or if I'm ever near DC.....I assume you drink beer?

Edited by Azalin

15 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Sorry to hear that, man. Hope you and yours are well. :beer: 

***** happens type stuff as opposed to end of the world type stuff.  Keep that beer flowing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

This new poll really jives with what I was saying about that Basil auto commercial. Regular, average Americans don't think much about Trump's tax law

Average Americans are totally clueless about a lot more than their taxes! Have you watched any of the man on the street videos? Sheeesh