The Best at Their Main Instrument

T&C

I'll start/go with harmonica. I've been lucky to have seen War 3 times. Lee Oskar had no less than 8 harmonica's on his belt at any given time, he is a master at that instrument no doubt. Who do you have?

2 hours ago, T&C said:

I'll start/go with harmonica. I've been lucky to have seen War 3 times. Lee Oskar had no less than 8 harmonica's on his belt at any given time, he is a master at that instrument no doubt. Who do you have?

Harmonica - young John Popper.

Took my son to see him after he came back from Iraq in 2010 - his comment " ridiculous"
Just for fun:

11 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

He was really something else, you are lucky to have seen him live.  Was it solo or Weather Report?

Weather Report both times in Montreal

Very cool, he was born right near where I work in Norristown PA, I know there's a park named in his honor, I should go check it out.  I did that a couple weeks ago when I went in search of Bob Marley's Wilmington DE house, the house was a P.O.S. but there was a park directly across the street with a nice landmark sign

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Weather Report both times in Montreal

14 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

Very cool, he was born right near where I work in Norristown PA, I know there's a park named in his honor, I should go check it out.  I did that a couple weeks ago when I went in search of Bob Marley's Wilmington DE house, the house was a P.O.S. but there was a park directly across the street with a nice landmark sign

Did not know he was from there, from the excellent article in GQ i enclosed i recall he grew up in Florida?? 

I commend your quirks on historical siteseeing!

They seemed to be in Montreal or Quebec City annually back in the late 70s early 80s

Edited by row_33

He lived here until he was 8 when they moved to florida.  I geek out over stuff like that.  Jim Croce's gravesite is close to where i live, Nancy Spungen's(of Sid & Nancy fame) grave is up in Bucks County.  I have no life so if there's no new beer to track down, i try and check out the more obscure things on weekends

and i stand corrected, Pastorius Park is not named for him, it was named for some german dude from the mid 1800's...who knew, but his childhood house still stands in Norristown

6 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Did not know he was from there, from the excellent article in GQ i enclosed i recall he grew up in Florida?? 

I commend your quirks on historical siteseeing!

Edited by The Poojer

1 hour ago, The Poojer said:

He lived here until he was 8 when they moved to florida.  I geek out over stuff like that.  Jim Croce's gravesite is close to where i live, Nancy Spungen's(of Sid & Nancy fame) grave is up in Bucks County.  I have no life so if there's no new beer to track down, i try and check out the more obscure things on weekends

and i stand corrected, Pastorius Park is not named for him, it was named for some german dude from the mid 1800's...who knew, but his childhood house still stands in Norristown

fair enough, i'd let you hold to thinking it was for Jaco, but he wasn't the kind of cat to get a civic-minded group to name a park about him

i go for stuff like that on vacation, Arlington is a haunt for most trips to DC, last time i took a picture of a Civil War grave with a small Confederate flag planted in front of it.  Turns out if was a Union Soldier...

The University of Buffalo was a good place as well as it surprisingly houses the works of some composers and writers or gave professorships to a few people of interest to me.

10 hours ago, Uncle Joe said:

Gotta give a shout out to Seasick Steve. Not sure is anyone else would attempt his instrument.
Doesn't hurt to play with John Paul Jones.

That was awesome. Never heard of Seasick Steve, but I cannot wait to share this with friends.

I love music threats on OTW!!!

On 4/8/2019 at 3:03 PM, ChevyVanMiller said:

I'll take one that probably wouldn't get tabbed and go with Abby the Spoon Lady.

Another awesome!

Upon a second view, I am freaked out at how much Abby looks like my mother in her younger days. Lose the tats and the hillbilly duds, add a full mouth of teeth: That's what my momma used to look like. Tall, skinny, muscular, dark hair, green eyes, good lookin and smart as a whip....

Weird.

Edited by BUFFALOKIE
  • Like (+1) 1