Most underrated RB

Tcali

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I think you are drastically underrating the value of consistency. He’s had seven 1,100 yd rushing seasons. He may get to 100 td. Made 5 pro bowls. He’s always been a catcher out of the backfield. The guy is 5th all time in scrimmage yds. And will most likely end up 4th at the end of the year. 

And just for some context.... Thurman averaged just over 1,200 scrimmage yds a season over his 13 years. Gore has averaged over 1,300 a season over 14 years now. He’s had 5 different 40+ catch seasons. IMO you are seriously undervaluing his production. 

I would wager its not IF he gets in, but just WHEN. 

He was never one of the top 3-4 backs in the league.  That should be a minimum requirement for Hall of Fame.  Hell, he’s never even been one of the best players on his own team, except maybe one year.  

Gore never put together a string of seasons even close to Thurman in his prime.  Not even close. He might get in, but he definitely shouldn’t.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, mannc said:

He was never one of the top 3-4 backs in the league.  That should be a minimum requirement for Hall of Fame.  Hell, he’s never even been one of the best players on his own team, except maybe one year.  

Gore never put together a string of seasons even close to Thurman in his prime.  Not even close. He might get in, but he definitely shouldn’t.  

Again. You are weighing shorter term dominance more than consistency. I think they both have merit. 

1350 scrimmage yds a year over 14 seasons while never having a HUGE year says to me the dude was consistently very good while not having just a couple years inflate his averages. 6-8 years of that may not be enough. But 12+? Ya. I’m good with it. 

And fwiw, which isn’t much, IMO in his prime he was a top 4-6 overall back in the nfl for a 3-5 year stretch when you factor in his receiving skills. Again. That alone isn’t enough but you add in all the other nice years and he’s in there IMO. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

On 3/31/2019 at 1:39 AM, mannc said:

More recent:  Priest Holmes, undrafted free agent, but was one of the best backs in the league for three or four years.  Could do it all.

One of my absolute favorite NFL players ever.  I love all-purpose backs.  It's a shame his career was cut short by injury, while he was on pace to break the league's single season TD record...again.

Everyone talks about how patient of a runner Bell is.  Priest was that, moons ago.

Ricky Watters.  A Hall of Fame talent that never gets talked about.  He should have been in before Bettis or Terrell Davis.

Edited by Chicken Boo

7 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Again. You are weighing shorter term dominance more than consistency. I think they both have merit. 

1350 scrimmage yds a year over 14 seasons while never having a HUGE year says to me the dude was consistently very good while not having just a couple years inflate his averages. 6-8 years of that may not be enough. But 12+? Ya. I’m good with it. 

And fwiw, which isn’t much, IMO in his prime he was a top 4-6 overall back in the nfl for a 3-5 year stretch when you factor in his receiving skills. Again. That alone isn’t enough but you add in all the other nice years and he’s in there IMO. 

It’s the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Very Good.  

I can maybe agree that Gore belongs in this “most underrated” thread (because so few people even think he’s an above average back), but Hall of Fame is (or should be) something entirely different.  

Edited by mannc

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

It’s the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Very Good.  

I can maybe agree that Gore belongs in this “most underrated” thread (because so few people even think he’s an above average back), but Hall of Fame is (or should be) something entirely different.  

I see your point. I would just say that very good for that amount of time equates to great. 

16 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

One of my absolute favorite NFL players ever.  I love all-purpose backs.  It's a shame his career was cut short by injury, while he was on pace to break the league's single season TD record...again.

Everyone talks about how patient of a runner Bell is.  Priest was that, moons ago.

Ricky Watters.  A Hall of Fame talent that never gets talked about.  He should have been in before Bettis or Terrell Davis.

I agree with both players.  To think, Priest was being wasted in Baltimore.  He was fun to watch.  I think Ricky Watters is getting the baseball writers HOF treatment.  I don't think he was a great guy to be around during his playing days, or that's the perception.  Ricky does deserve it more than Bettis or Davis. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/31/2019 at 1:37 AM, Doc Brown said:

You rarely hear his name when discussing the top 10 or 20 RB's of all time.  Ten straight 1,000 yard seasons is ridiculous.

he stayed healthy and ran up the gut on a boring decent team

Gore and Thomas are very similar statistically...and i dont in any way mean just sticking around forever in Gore's case.

I dont see how people are laughing it off like its so obvious that thurman was better.

Both were very fortunate that they had very very solid teams in the early/prime years.

Gore did a LOT of his running in Indy,however, with very mediocre blocking.

I think Gore ..like Thurman, is right on the border of 1st ballot.

41 minutes ago, Tcali said:

Gore and Thomas are very similar statistically...and i dont in any way mean just sticking around forever in Gore's case.

I dont see how people are laughing it off like its so obvious that thurman was better.

Both were very fortunate that they had very very solid teams in the early/prime years.

Gore did a LOT of his running in Indy,however, with very mediocre blocking.

I think Gore ..like Thurman, is right on the border of 1st ballot.

No, they're not "very similar".  They're not at all similar.  From 1989 through 1992, Thurman put up five seasons in a row with at least 1700 yards from scrimmage (and two seasons of over 2000 YFS), including double digits in TDs each year.  During those five seasons, TT was one of the two or three best backs in the NFL and in four of those seasons he was a star player on a team that played in the Super Bowl.  And let's not forget that Thurman was an absolute beast in the post-season (21 post-season games), including an MVP-caliber performance in the Bills' first super bowl, 150 yards receiving in the Ronnie Harmon drop game at Cleveland, and 200 yards from scrimmage in the Miami snow bowl game. 

Gore had one season where he gained more than 1550 yards from scrimmage.  One.  And only one season in which he scored 10 or more TDs.  Other than that one season, his second in the league, Gore was never even arguably a top-five back in the NFL.  He played three seasons in Indy and averaged less than 4 ypc each year.  His career rushing yardage is mainly a product of longevity and should not be enough to put him in the Hall of Fame. 

Look at the list of top 20 career passers and receivers:  Vinny Testaverde, Drew Bledsoe, Kerry Collins, Matt Ryan, Carson Palmer and, pretty soon you'll probably have Matt Stafford on the QB list.  None of those guys belongs in the Hall of Fame.  Among receivers you've got Anquon Boldin, Torry Holt, Henry Ellard and Irving Fryar.--No HoFers on that list, either.  

What's unusual about Gore is that it's uncommon for a RB to stick around that long, whereas good QBs and WRs have longer careers.  It's great that Gore's stuck around as long as he has, and it's probably because he's a good locker room guy and does little things well, like pass block, but he's not a Hall of Famer and he's not even close to being a first ballot guy.            

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, mannc said:

No, they're not "very similar".  They're not at all similar.  From 1989 through 1992, Thurman put up five seasons in a row with at least 1700 yards from scrimmage (and two seasons of over 2000 YFS), including double digits in TDs each year.  During those five seasons, TT was one of the two or three best backs in the NFL and in four of those seasons he was a star player on a team that played in the Super Bowl.  And let's not forget that Thurman was an absolute beast in the post-season (21 post-season games), including an MVP-caliber performance in the Bills' first super bowl, 150 yards receiving in the Ronnie Harmon drop game at Cleveland, and 200 yards from scrimmage in the Miami snow bowl game. 

Gore had one season where he gained more than 1550 yards from scrimmage.  One.  And only one season in which he scored 10 or more TDs.  Other than that one season, his second in the league, Gore was never even arguably a top-five back in the NFL.  He played three seasons in Indy and averaged less than 4 ypc each year.  His career rushing yardage is mainly a product of longevity and should not be enough to put him in the Hall of Fame. 

Look at the list of top 20 career passers and receivers:  Vinny Testaverde, Drew Bledsoe, Kerry Collins, Matt Ryan, Carson Palmer and, pretty soon you'll probably have Matt Stafford on the QB list.  None of those guys belongs in the Hall of Fame.  Among receivers you've got Anquon Boldin, Torry Holt, Henry Ellard and Irving Fryar.--No HoFers on that list, either.  

What's unusual about Gore is that it's uncommon for a RB to stick around that long, whereas good QBs and WRs have longer careers.  It's great that Gore's stuck around as long as he has, and it's probably because he's a good locker room guy and does little things well, like pass block, but he's not a Hall of Famer and he's not even close to being a first ballot guy.            

I love Thurman...But Jim Kelly's offense was completely loaded and the no huddle created so much space and confusion on the D that there was huge amts of space for a RB to work with. Kenneth Davis did just as well as Thurman when he was in there YPC.Not saying he was as good as thurman but come on.Hate to rain on the parade. Only the greatest ones can produce when everyone in the stadium knows that the ball is going to him.Those who could do that are very rare.JB,OJ,Campbell,Sanders,Sayers,Dickerson.

Thurman was an extremely tough and smart runner and never dropped a pass.I'm not in any way putting him down.But he was blessed to have a great great offense to work with.

On 3/31/2019 at 5:35 AM, BigdaddyinOrlando said:

Kenneth Davis! 

He came in and we never seemed to skip a beat at all on offense!

He's got my vote the guy was a baller & never really got any props for what he did he'll always be among the most under rated backs in the league !!!