Full Intelligent Breakdown of DK Metcalf

Scorp83

58 minutes ago, One Buffalo said:

Yes sir!

I feel like I was robbed of seeing Farve to Moss in 2007. (Thanks, Ted Thompson, you idiot!)

Allen to DK would be a nice consulation prize, being that they would be playing for my favorite team.  

Sparks, I tell ya!

Edited by Chicken Boo

21 minutes ago, the skycap said:

It's shows from Twitter. Maybe took it during his visit. Looks like inside hotel room

That BuffFanatics post is from Twitter but I don't see anything on Twitter or Instagram from Metcalf with that picture in it. I might be wrong and just haven't found it though.

At any rate, probably doesn't mean anything beyond him getting a shirt from the team when he visited.

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..interestingly Jack DelRio said on NFLN (FWIW) that he sees Metcalf's physique/work out warrior status overshadowing his actual abilities as a top WR...yes?..no?...maybe?......

I think you can make that argument -- certainly ONE OF the top WRs. There's a lot of ways to play WR -- not everyone needs to be Desean Jackson fast or run Antonio Brown type routes...

When you watch DK's tape a few things stand out:

1. He's extremely difficult to press and is a great hand fighter -- that creates separation

2. His mass + explosion creates a "snowball rolling downhill" effect very quickly, so he's hard to move off his route -- when you're where your QB needs you to be, when he needs you to be there, you don't have to have as much separation (+added bonus of playmaking ability with the ball in his hands)

3. His routes and short area quickness are far from perfect, but his size, strength and general size make him a bear fir defenders to have to work through. If he gets his face across the defender's, he's got him beat, end of story -- that's also separation

4. He's got an enormous catch radius -- that can also create separation both laterally and vertically 

5. The concern about his lack of production -- for me -- isn't the lack of production, in itself at all, but rather the inability to have enough game tape to see him play and react to different situations... From the small sample size that there is though, it appears that he's also a very smart, focused and competitive WR. You can see him set up his man mid-route, you see catches that only the most gifted AND focused of players can make, and I don't think I saw one ball thrown his way that he didn't give 110% for.

6. On top of all of that, he can definitely be an effective run blocker, when he wants to be.

Cards on the table, I've fully talked myself into DK at this point, and (as has been said many, many times) no question he comes with some uncertainty... But at 9 -- barring Quinnen Williams falling far enough to be gettable -- and with the positive momentum this franchise has going for it, I think hitting on the highest ceiling player in the draft is too exciting of a prospect to pass on. If he's healthy, that is!!!

Edited by glazeduck
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

I think you can make that argument -- certainly ONE OF the top WRs. There's a lot of ways to play WR -- not everyone needs to be Desean Jackson fast or run Antonio Brown type routes...

1. He's extremely difficult to press and is a great hand fighter -- that creates separation

2. His mass + explosion creates a "snowball rolling downhill" effect very quickly, so he's hard to move off his route -- when you're where your QB needs you to be, when he needs you to be there, you don't have to have as much separation (+added bonus of playmaking ability with the ball in his hands)

3. His routes and short area quickness are far from perfect, but his size, strength and general size make him a bear fir defenders to have to work through. If he gets his face across the defender's, he's got him beat, end of story -- that's also separation

4. He's got an enormous catch radius -- that can also create separation both laterally and vertically 

5. The concern about his lack of production -- for me -- isn't the lack of production, in itself at all, but rather the inability to have enough game tape to see him play and react to different situations... From the small sample size that there is though, it appears that he's also a very smart, focused and competitive WR. You can see him set up his man mid-route, you see catches that only the most gifted AND focused of players can make, and I don't think I saw one ball thrown his way that he didn't give 110% for.

6. On top of all of that, he can definitely be an effective run blocker, when he wants to be.

Cards on the table, I've fully talked myself into DK at this point, and (as has been said many, many times) no question he comes with some uncertainty... But at 9 -- barring Quinnen Williams falling far enough to be gettable -- and with the positive momentum this franchise has going for it, I think hitting on the highest ceiling player in the draft is too exciting of a prospect to pass on. If he's healthy, that is!!!

And just to add one more thing;

7)  Currently the Bills have nothing like him.  Metcalf's game is physical and he's an open WR even when he's not open.  That's the type of guy Allen needs.  But alas, as long as we get a top talent whenever we pick I'm not going to be too fussy about whoever it is.  If it is OL, I may have preferred something else but as long as it is a top OL talent then I'm good.  If it is, DT, LB, CB, DE, WR, TE ect.  I certainly have some positions I would be disgusted if we take it at 9 but if we do we do.  I'll come around.

Edited by NewEraBills
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, NewEraBills said:

7)  Currently the Bills have nothing like him.  Metcalf's game is physical and he's an open WR even when he's not open.  That's the type of guy Allen needs.  But alas, as long as we get a top talent whenever we pick I'm not going to be too fussy about whoever it is.  If it is OL, I may have preferred something else but as long as it is a top OL talent then I'm good.  If it is, DT, LB, CB, DE, WR, TE ect.  I certainly have some positions I would be disgusted if we take it at 9 but if we do we do.  I'll come around.

Being open when he's not open is the type of WR the Bills thought they were getting when they acquired Kelvin Benjamin.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NewEraBills said:

This, besides being a redzone threat he can run past anyone on the defense better than Brown or Foster.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Thank you for posting this!!!

Metcalf or Hockenson are the 2 guys I want the most, whether by trading down or staying at 9.

This draft is so defense heavy we can get a really good defensive player in the 2nd or via trading back into the 1st round, which I think is a real possibility.

Completely agree. Offence is more important than defence when determining the outcome of a game, especially in the regular season. Defence still matters for championships, but the defence is already good enough. Build the offence.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, glazeduck said:

....good assessment...thanks.....:thumbsup:

15 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..interestingly Jack DelRio said on NFLN (FWIW) that he sees Metcalf's physique/work out warrior status overshadowing his actual abilities as a top WR...yes?..no?...maybe?......

People kinda came in late to the party and assumed that DK Metcalf blew up after the NFL Combine. The fact of the matter is that he was viewed by many as the #1 WR prospect or close to for most of the year and his draft stock has probably declined since the combine if anything.

• Like (+1) 3

In Miller’s latest scouting notebook, Metcalf was mentioned as a favorite to land with the Packers or Buffalo Bills based on what he’s currently hearing.

Miller said no league sources he’s spoken with have disregarded the rumors.

“Metcalf’s landing spot is one of the most interesting questions regarding this (draft) class,” he later added.

Then there’s Kiper, who released his latest mock draft earlier this week. Kiper is known for projecting players to teams based on what he’s hearing from league sources rather than how he thinks the board should fall. He had the Packers selecting Metcalf at No. 12 overall in his latest mock, calling him an “out-of-this-world” athlete.