Erie County Union Heads No Show

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a sort of payback, since most of these unions only have limited bargaining rts anyway (cant bargain over salary, cant strike, etc.)

291346[/snapback]

would the etc. include:

...can't be fired (unless we nuke the whole county, like Giambra just did)

...allowed to bank hundreds of sick/vacation days to cash out at retirement

...receive full medical coverage and inflation-adjusted pensions, upon retirement.

...able to knock off an hour (or more!) early in the summertime

Did I miss any more??? :P

Limited bargaining rights? The only limit they have in terms of salary is to declare an impasse during every negotiation, go straight to BINDING ARBITRATION and win what they wanted anyway.

To say they have no rights is a F*^%ing joke. When was the last time they didn't get a raise, despite the economics of the agency they work for?

When was the last time they were forced to pay for their health coverage or even any significant portion?

When was the last time anything was taken awy for them for the betterment of the city, county, muni, region, whatever?

Never. But when they lose their jobs when it really hiots the fan, we're supposed to feel sorry for them after all the grabhandedness they have shown year in and year out.

Tough s&%* for them. Welcome to the real world.

I hate public unions in NY.

And I hate the Taylor Law too, which keeps them in power.

By the way. Any idea why many places our young people are moving too are doing much better? No unions, among other reasons. But no unions keep salaries under control (and not ripping the employees off either while not ripping off the taxpayers).

Example: We pay Buffalo and many area cops well into the 40s to start, and a GED is all that is required in most cases and no college degree, maybe some credits. Troopers start in the low 50s, same requirements.

Saw an ad in the Buffalo Snooze for cops near Richmond, Va. Around $30 to start, $32 with a bachelors. That's the way it should be. Not getting rich for driving around on your fat arse all day.

would the etc. include: 

...can't be fired (unless we nuke the whole county, like Giambra just did)

...allowed to bank hundreds of sick/vacation days to cash out at retirement

...receive full medical coverage and inflation-adjusted pensions, upon retirement.

...able to knock off an hour (or more!) early in the summertime

Did I miss any more???    :P

291415[/snapback]

Sick days cannot be cashed out at retirement. If you elect not to take your vacation days, why shouldn't you be paid for them? You did earn them after all. :P

Limited bargaining rights? The only limit they have in terms of salary is to declare an impasse during every negotiation, go straight to BINDING ARBITRATION and win what they wanted anyway.

To say they have no rights is a F*^%ing joke. When was the last time they didn't get a raise, despite the economics of the agency they work for?

When was the last time they were forced to pay for their health coverage or even any significant portion?

When was the last time anything was taken awy for them for the betterment of the city, county, muni, region, whatever?

Never. But when they lose their jobs when it really hiots the fan, we're supposed to feel sorry for them after all the grabhandedness they have shown year in and year out.

By the way. Any idea why many places our young people are moving too are doing much better? No unions, among other reasons. But no unions keep salaries under control (and not ripping the employees off either while not ripping off the taxpayers).

Example: We pay Buffalo and many area cops well into the 40s to start, and a GED is all that is required in most cases and no college degree, maybe some credits. Troopers start in the low 50s, same requirements.

Saw an ad in the Buffalo Snooze for cops near Richmond, Va. Around $30 to start, $32 with a bachelors. That's the way it should be. Not getting rich for driving around on your fat arse all day.

291433[/snapback]

Yeah, 30 g's for possibly being killed on the job by some thug. Sounds like a great deal to me. :P

291433[/snapback]

>>>Saw an ad in the Buffalo Snooze for cops near Richmond, Va. Around $30 to start, $32 with a bachelors. That's the way it should be. Not getting rich for driving around on your fat arse all day.<<<

If you were more of a man, you would be able to even consider doing a job such as this.

Obviously, you are a squirrel of a man; a jealous squirrel to boot. Now, go run up a tree, you weak minded, weak in fact squirrel. Hurry up, a puppy is chasing you, you silly little twit! :P

>>>Saw an ad in the Buffalo Snooze for cops near Richmond, Va. Around $30 to start, $32 with a bachelors. That's the way it should be. Not getting rich for driving around on your fat arse all day.<<<

If you were more of a man, you would be able to even consider doing a job such as this.

Obviously, you are a squirrel of a man; a jealous squirrel to boot. Now, go run up a tree, you weak minded, weak in fact squirrel. Hurry up, a puppy is chasing you, you silly little twit!  :P

291539[/snapback]

C'mon give the guy a break. I mean, in his world $40-50k to start is "rich" . If that were the case I'd be an aristocrat. Guess I can stop buying those lottery tickets. :P

That is a problem with the gov't unions

However, do not stereotype all unions. My union leadership is paid the same base salary as if they were working here at the hospital, however, if they are doing union duties, that portion is covered by the union.

Ex: Our Chief Steward basically works half his time at the union (paid by union). The other half he works in blood bank(paid by hospital). He doesn't get PTO time accrued for those hrs he works for the union. His health benefits are unaffected

Pretty fair IMO