Erie County Union Heads No Show

Be carefull. If the union finds out you took your trash out yourself instead of waiting a few weeks till they get around to it, they will scream and cry and you will get in biiiiiiiigggg trouble... :huh:

296339[/snapback]

You're not kidding. One of my union experiences goes as follows:

We needed to install a new payroll terminal in a remote locale because we upgraded our system. We sent the boxes up in advance and arrived a couple of days later (we wanted the equipment to be onsite to acclimatize for 72 hours before installing).

We got up there and did a few prep things to ensure the gateways were hot, etc and then headed down to the area the terminal was supposed to be installed in. The gear wasn't there. It was up in the system room. I said to the IT Lead, "Let's go get it and bring it down." He says, "We can't. It's a union job and we're not allowed to."

Keep in mind, I flew in that morning with another tech to do this upgrade and a few other things. So he called the appropriate place and AGAIN asked them to move the 2 boxes (weighing maybe 70 pounds total) to the correct area and was told by the union super that they couldn't make this 100 foot treck until after lunch (it's all of 0930 at this point).

I know at this point I'm going to end up in a time crunch if ANYTHING goes wrong on this install because I have a plane to catch in the afternoon and it takes some time to get everything tested properly. Still, I defer because the union is a huge and expensive pain in the ass. After lunch didn't mean 1300, either, even though that's when their programmed break ends. We ended up calling back at 1315 to find out where they are. They won't be available for another hour! !@#$ it. I'm moving it myself.

Again, these a-holes had 3 DAYS to put this stuff in position. They know it is the system that is used to handle THEIR paychecks. But they don't care because the union will fight for them tooth and nail even if they don't do their jobs to mediocre standards.

At 1445, 2 monkeys show up to move the 2 boxes the whole 100 feet. They flip out when the thing is unpacked and we're running tests and run back to head union guy who decides he's going to try to spend the rest of the afternoon chewing my ass (I simply ignored him and went about getting the payroll system online that paid his overweight, no work ass).

They filed a grievance - it got tossed after much back and forth between the 2 sides. Cost the company pretty good and the union their contract in the long run.

I hate fuggin' unions.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're not kidding.  One of my union experiences goes as follows:

We needed to install a new payroll terminal in a remote locale because we upgraded our system.  We sent the boxes up in advance and arrived a couple of days later (we wanted the equipment to be onsite to acclimatize for 72 hours before installing).

We got up there and did a few prep things to ensure the gateways were hot, etc and then headed down to the area the terminal was supposed to be installed in.  The gear wasn't there.  It was up in the system room.  I said to the IT Lead, "Let's go get it and bring it down."  He says, "We can't.  It's a union job and we're not allowed to."

Keep in mind, I flew in that morning with another tech to do this upgrade and a few other things.  So he called the appropriate place and AGAIN asked them to move the 2 boxes (weighing maybe 70 pounds total) to the correct area and was told by the union super that they couldn't make this 100 foot treck until after lunch (it's all of 0930 at this point).

I know at this point I'm going to end up in a time crunch if ANYTHING goes wrong on this install because I have a plane to catch in the afternoon and it takes some time to get everything tested properly.  Still, I defer because the union is a huge and expensive pain in the ass.  After lunch didn't mean 1300, either, even though that's when their programmed break ends.  We ended up calling back at 1315 to find out where they are.  They won't be available for another hour!  !@#$ it.  I'm moving it myself.

Again, these a-holes had 3 DAYS to put this stuff in position.  They know it is the system that is used to handle THEIR paychecks.  But they don't care because the union will fight for them tooth and nail even if they don't do their jobs to mediocre standards.

At 1445, 2 monkeys show up to move the 2 boxes the whole 100 feet.  They flip out when the thing is unpacked and we're running tests and run back to head union guy who decides he's going to try to spend the rest of the afternoon chewing my ass (I simply ignored him and went about getting the payroll system online that paid his overweight, no work ass).

They filed a grievance - it got tossed after much back and forth between the 2 sides.  Cost the company pretty good and the union their contract in the long run.

I hate fuggin' unions.

296371[/snapback]

We use them here for a few things. I wanted a dry erase board put up in my cube. I put the order in Sept 27. No one showed up to do it. Ever. And yes, I called frequently, and they are all "too busy". So my board sits on the floor and I write on it so I don't get in trouble for doing thier jobs....

We use them here for a few things. I wanted a dry erase board put up in my cube. I put the order in Sept 27. No one showed up to do it. Ever. And yes, I called frequently, and they are all "too busy". So my board sits on the floor and I write on it so I don't get in trouble for doing thier jobs....

296382[/snapback]

...and you know the second you hang it yourself, five guys will show up to complain that you are stealing their jobs.

...and you know the second you hang it yourself, five guys will show up to complain that you are stealing their jobs.

296385[/snapback]

I actually was going to hang it and take it down before they get here. But those toolboxes will show up the second I do it myself and then I will get in trouble...

I actually was going to hang it and take it down before they get here. But those toolboxes will show up the second I do it myself and then I will get in trouble...

296393[/snapback]

I can sympathize with your situation. I work with union and non-union contractors on a regular basis. The union jobs are consistently late and over budget. On top of that, the quality of the work is poor at best. I am still amazed that buildings have not burned down as a result of some of the things I have seen.

We needed to install a new payroll terminal in a remote locale because we upgraded our system.  We sent the boxes up in advance and arrived a couple of days later (we wanted the equipment to be onsite to acclimatize for 72 hours before installing).

We got up there and did a few prep things to ensure the gateways were hot, etc and then headed down to the area the terminal was supposed to be installed in.  The gear wasn't there.  It was up in the system room.  I said to the IT Lead, "Let's go get it and bring it down."  He says, "We can't.  It's a union job and we're not allowed to."

Keep in mind, I flew in that morning with another tech to do this upgrade and a few other things.  So he called the appropriate place and AGAIN asked them to move the 2 boxes (weighing maybe 70 pounds total) to the correct area and was told by the union super that they couldn't make this 100 foot treck until after lunch (it's all of 0930 at this point).

I know at this point I'm going to end up in a time crunch if ANYTHING goes wrong on this install because I have a plane to catch in the afternoon and it takes some time to get everything tested properly.  Still, I defer because the union is a huge and expensive pain in the ass.  After lunch didn't mean 1300, either, even though that's when their programmed break ends.  We ended up calling back at 1315 to find out where they are.  They won't be available for another hour!  !@#$ it.  I'm moving it myself.

Again, these a-holes had 3 DAYS to put this stuff in position.  They know it is the system that is used to handle THEIR paychecks.  But they don't care because the union will fight for them tooth and nail even if they don't do their jobs to mediocre standards.

At 1445, 2 monkeys show up to move the 2 boxes the whole 100 feet.  They flip out when the thing is unpacked and we're running tests and run back to head union guy who decides he's going to try to spend the rest of the afternoon chewing my ass (I simply ignored him and went about getting the payroll system online that paid his overweight, no work ass).

They filed a grievance - it got tossed after much back and forth between the 2 sides.  Cost the company pretty good and the union their contract in the long run.

I hate fuggin' unions.

296371[/snapback]

"What a sad story. I have a large amount of sympathy for you. I view your saga as simply heart warming. Can you feel it?

It is oh so simple to tell idealistic tales of woe when one is a kid. An adult would be happier to work for a union shop which offers security, better medical coverage and a superior retirement plan for his or her family.

Company name here is not suffering. Both the company and the workers are thriving, but please do not let this stop you from telling us more melancholy sob stories, nor pushing your anti-labor views."

296382[/snapback]

"What a sad story. I have a large amount of sympathy for you. I view your saga as simply heart warming. Can you feel it?

It is oh so simple to tell idealistic tales of woe when one is a kid. An adult would be happier to work for a union shop which offers security, better medical coverage and a superior retirement plan for his or her family.

Company name here is not suffering. Both the company and the workers are thriving, but please do not let this stop you from telling us more melancholy sob stories, nor pushing your anti-labor views."

296382[/snapback]

Hey, they're just protecting the American Middle Class.

296475[/snapback]

:huh: ****. :huh:

296476[/snapback]

Reminds me of the commercial by CA where the computer salesman is a recording and a cardboard cutout going: GREAT! 5000 units it is! :huh:

I hate fuggin' unions.

296371[/snapback]

That sounds like a terrible,frustrating experience. But here again, this behavior is a character flaw of individual(s) involved, NOT of unions inherently. Some individuals of poor character and work ethic try to hide behind their perceived union protection. It's unfortunate that your union experience was a bad one, but there is no way that the union is responsible for the behavior of a few knuckleheads. :lol:

That sounds like a terrible,frustrating experience. But here again, this behavior is a character flaw of individual(s) involved, NOT of unions inherently. Some individuals of poor character and work ethic try to hide behind their perceived union protection. It's unfortunate that your union experience was a bad one, but there is no way that the union is responsible for the behavior of a few knuckleheads.  B-)

296856[/snapback]

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ever been to a convention in Vegas, or New York. Get a grip man.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Ever been to a convention in Vegas, or New York. Get a grip man.

296884[/snapback]

Well, the government didn't agree with uber-union dude. I know this since they tossed them before the contract ended. But he should definitely soldier on because the world needs more lemmings.

Well, the government didn't agree with uber-union dude.  I know this since they tossed them before the contract ended.  But he should definitely soldier on because the world needs more lemmings.

296952[/snapback]

Your story hold alot of water Darin, I've got plenty myself. I was a Teamster at one point in my short life on this planet. Though, If I told some of those stories, I could get in trouble. :lol:

Hey, lets pay them $45 dollars an hour to punch a door panel, great idea!!! :lol: