Calling it now: Zay Jones will not be on the week 1 roster.

Alphadawg7

Just now, BillsFan130 said:

Jones just doesn’t pass the eye test for me. He doesn’t have 1 skill that tells me he is going to be a good WR one day. 

You may very well be right.

My point is that he will not be thrown to the curb in year 3 of a 4 year rookie deal.

He is on notice this year.

He may show something, he may not.

He has the talent, I just question his personality to be good.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, njbuff said:

My point is that he will not be thrown to the curb in year 3 of a 4 year rookie deal.

Fair points and I agree with all of what you said

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

I don’t understand how people can still defend Zay Jones.

Call a spade a spade. He has been a major disappointment so far in his career.

Is he a bust yet? No but he absolutely needs to take a huge step this year 

How could anyone defend Tyrod Taylor in year 3 and for almost a full season after he left?

dodo happens 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, njbuff said:

The Pro Jones people understand this as well as his detractors.

I think the new ridiculous argument that a former CFL WR and UDFA WR are better right now is just silly.

We will see what happens in August then going forward.

Here is the thing though, no one is really saying they are better right now.  They certainly have a LOT to prove themselves.  We just said they will be in the competition and Zay is going to NEED to be better and separate from them.  Think about this:  You have Foster, Brown, Cole, and likely Roberts as 4 guys almost certain to make the 53.  

Now you have 2 spots up for grabs that:  Zay, Duke, Sills, and McKenzie will be vying for them if they keep 6 WRs.  They may only keep 5 by the way, but I think 6 is what it ends up to be.  

If Zay isnt really separating himself, he is the only one with trade value.  So why would Beane keep him over the other young prospects showing promise if he will get nothing in return if he cuts them?  Zay has trade value, so at the point, if he feels the other guys can put up similar WR4 and WR5 value he can actually get a draft asset back for Zay and roll with them.  Plus the other 3 bring an added dimension of either Size, Catch Radius, or ST contributions.  They can probably get a 5th or even a conditional 5th for Zay that can turn into a 4th if he hits certain benchmarks.  

And lets be real, its not like Zay lit it up the first 2 years and his play cant be matched by backup WRs around the league.  He has been subpar...so very plausible young hungry guys can come in and challenge his spot unless he shows significant improvement.  

IMHO:  His trade value actually hurts him and will likely mean he needs to really pull away from the next guy before his roster spot starts getting safer.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

How could anyone defend Tyrod Taylor in year 3 and for almost a full season after he left?

dodo happens 

Haha so you are making fun of people for defending Tyrod but you are doing the same thing for Zay Jones?

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

He had 7 TD's last year, which is nothing to sneeze at.

He is still on his rookie contract and McDermott isn't just going to cut ties with him now.

This is a critical year for him, no matter which side of the isle you are on.

I will give him this year as to whether he is decent or not.

We shall see.

Remember, the only true instant success for this franchise at the WR position was Lee Evans, but he flamed out.

I get why you would say this, but the 7 TD's statement lacks context.  And when you like at the truth behind the number, its really not as good as saying 7 TDs.

• 4 of them came in two games against a bad Miami team, including week 17 when the Fins didnt even bother to show up.  
  • Another came in the final minute of a blow out loss down 3 scores.  Pats left him uncovered for a basically free 31 yard meaningless TD when game was over.  He was dominated the rest of the game by the Pats secondary.  

So is it really isn't as impressive to say "7 TD's" if you know the back story to them.  Especially when he was so irrelevant in just about every other game, failed to make plays that contributed to some of our losses, and was so significantly outmatched in several games against better opposition.  

The one positive thing I will say for Zay, is that with better WRs here now, he likely will draw easier coverage.  So maybe thats what helps him stick or be more relevant.  But he showed very poorly against quality corners in both his first 2 years to go along with unreliable hands and average at best route running.  

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, njbuff said:

Well, a couple of things.  It's not getting thrown to the curb.  More likely he'd be traded.  His problem may be that the Bills need to keep guys with better upside.  I think someone made a good point:  what about Jones is special?  Not his speed, his catch radius, not his hands, and no not his route running.  I think he runs decent routes, but so do a lot of them. And not his blocking, either.  

Sills and Williams could both be better possession receivers, and maybe better blockers.  Again, no one is flat-out predicting it WILL happen; its just that it COULD happen.

Edited by Shaw66
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, a couple of things.  It's not getting thrown to the curb.  More likely he'd be traded.  His problem may be that the Bills need to keep guys with better upside.  I think someone made a good point:  what about Jones is special?  Not his speed, his catch radius, not his hands, and no not his route running.  I think he runs decent routes, but so do a lot of them. And not his blocking, either.  

Sills and Williams could both be better possession receivers, and maybe better blockers.  Again, no one is flat-out predicting it WILL happen; its just that it COULD happen.

Sills and Duke also give you that go up and get the ball element that you don't get from anyone else on the roster.m

I googled "Zay Jones news" and this is what google pulls up

Jones caught three of nine targets for 22 yards in Sunday's 27-23 loss to the Jets.

Jones struggled with drops throughout the afternoon, producing an underwhelming stat line despite leading the Bills in targets. He's alternated rises and drops in receiving yards in every single game this season, and Jones is likely to keep that pattern going by exceeding 22 yards against the Lions in Week 15

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/bills-zay-jones-production-limited-by-drops/

12 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Here is the thing though, no one is really saying they are better right now.  They certainly have a LOT to prove themselves.  We just said they will be in the competition and Zay is going to NEED to be better and separate from them.  Think about this:  You have Foster, Brown, Cole, and likely Roberts as 4 guys almost certain to make the 53.  

Now you have 2 spots up for grabs that:  Zay, Duke, Sills, and McKenzie will be vying for them if they keep 6 WRs.  They may only keep 5 by the way, but I think 6 is what it ends up to be.  

If Zay isnt really separating himself, he is the only one with trade value.  So why would Beane keep him over the other young prospects showing promise if he will get nothing in return if he cuts them?  Zay has trade value, so at the point, if he feels the other guys can put up similar WR4 and WR5 value he can actually get a draft asset back for Zay and roll with them.  Plus the other 3 bring an added dimension of either Size, Catch Radius, or ST contributions.  They can probably get a 5th or even a conditional 5th for Zay that can turn into a 4th if he hits certain benchmarks.  

And lets be real, its not like Zay lit it up the first 2 years and his play cant be matched by backup WRs around the league.  He has been subpar...so very plausible young hungry guys can come in and challenge his spot unless he shows significant improvement.  

IMHO:  His trade value actually hurts him and will likely mean he needs to really pull away from the next guy before his roster spot starts getting safer.  

....good assessment 'Dawg........Foster certainly heeded McDermott's wake up call, but Zay's response was luke warm....pretty clear message IMO that with all of the new talent around them, NOTHING is a given.....Foster needs to show the next step whereas Zay needs to take a HUGE step or start packin'.......camp competition on paper looks to be pretty fierce.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....good assessment 'Dawg........Foster certainly heeded McDermott's wake up call, but Zay's response was luke warm....pretty clear message IMO that with all of the new talent around them, NOTHING is a given.....Foster needs to show the next step whereas Zay needs to take a HUGE step or start packin'.......camp competition on paper looks to be pretty fierce.....

Yeah this WR competition is shaping up to be something that will be really fun to watch and can’t wait.  

I mean I am even excited to see Zay, as I have always maintained I will be excited and stoked if Zay proves my skepticism wrong and takes a big step forward.  I remain skeptical he can separate himself enough, but I won’t be rooting against him or anything.  Be awesome if he really took a big step forward.

I have only defended why I believe he is in the hot seat and why I am skeptical he can stand out in tighter competition.  But he has fairly earned that opinion and skepticism from me with what he has put on film.  At the end of the day, I don’t want him or any other Bill to fail though, just want the best team on the field week 1.

Man August can’t get here fast enough!

GO BILLS

7 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

That would make sense given Foster is going into his second year and Zay into his third.

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Sure separates and adjusts to off target throws for a guy who won’t make the team. 

Kelvin Benjamin has highlight reels too.  

Stevie Johnson has highlight reels too.

Both unemployed in their prime age years.

Just saying ;) 

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah this WR competition is shaping up to be something that will be really fun to watch and can’t wait.  

I mean I am even excited to see Zay, as I have always maintained I will be excited and stoked if Zay proves my skepticism wrong and takes a big step forward.  I remain skeptical he can separate himself enough, but I won’t be rooting against him or anything.  Be awesome if he really took a big step forward.

I have only defended why I believe he is in the hot seat and why I am skeptical he can stand out in tighter competition.  But he has fairly earned that opinion and skepticism from me with what he has put on film.  At the end of the day, I don’t want him or any other Bill to fail though, just want the best team on the field week 1.

Man August can’t get here fast enough!

GO BILLS

...cannot remember (then again, probably another damn senior moment) where it appears early on that there will be some talented football players among the 37 final cuts.....at several positions including WR...stay tuned....

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Kelvin Benjamin has highlight reels too.  

Stevie Johnson has highlight reels too.

Both unemployed in their prime age years.

Just saying ;) 

Exactly!  Those guys weren’t great but absolutely on rosters at 24 years old. Both starters at that age in fact. 

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...cannot remember (then again, probably another damn senior moment) where it appears early on that there will be some talented football players among the 37 final cuts.....at several positions including WR...stay tuned....

This front office sure seems better at finding depth 

4 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Exactly!  Those guys weren’t great but absolutely on rosters at 24 years old. Both starters at that age in fact. 

This front office sure seems better at finding depth 

Keep in mind, I have always said Zay would be a trade and not likely a cut if he wasn’t on this team.  I acknowledge he will be on a roster, I have just been skeptical he can separate himself here enough for it to be here.

And yeah, the depth here now all over this roster is so exciting!