What the "New Green Deal" Solutions Mean For Us

Nanker

23 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

No one will ever confuse progressivism for courage.

looking over your shoulder to make sure you are still part of a mob isn't a healthy way to think or live

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

No one will ever confuse progressivism for courage.

"I support the New Green Deal!!"

"OK. So vote for it."

"What, are you nuts? Why would you make me vote for it? That is just a political stunt!!"

• Like (+1) 3

Interesting Take on Electric Cars.

This is for Engineers out there, surely there should be a rebuttal to this article.  Say it isn't true!  As an engineer I love the electric vehicle technology.  However, I have been troubled for a long time by the fact that the electrical energy to keep the batteries charged has to come from the grid and that means more power generation and a huge increase in the distribution infrastructure.  Whether generated from coal, gas, oil, wind or sun, installed generation capacity is limited.  A friend sent me the following that says it very well.  You should all take a look at this short article.

INTERESTING -  ONE OTHER QUESTION. IF ELECTRIC CARS DO NOT USE GASOLINE, THEY WILL NOT PARTICIPATE IN PAYING A GASOLINE TAX ON EVERY GALLON THAT IS SOLD FOR AUTOMOBILES, WHICH WAS ENACTED SOME YEARS AGO TO HELP TO MAINTAIN OUR ROADS AND BRIDGES. THEY WILL USE THE ROADS, BUT WILL NOT PAY FOR THEIR MAINTENANCE!

In case you were thinking of buying hybrid or an electric car:

Ever since the advent of electric cars, the REAL cost per mile of those things has never been discussed. All you ever heard was the mpg in terms of gasoline, with nary a mention of the cost of electricity to run it   . This is the first article I've ever seen and tells the story pretty much as I expected it to

Electricity has to be one of the least efficient ways to power things yet they're being shoved down our throats.  Glad somebody finally put engineering and math   to paper.

At a neighborhood BBQ I was talking to a neighbor, a BC Hydro executive.  I asked him how that renewable thing was doing.  He laughed, then got serious.  If you really intend to adopt electric vehicles, he pointed out, you had to face certain realities.

For example, a home charging system for a Tesla requires 75 amp service.  The average house is equipped with 100 amp service.  On our small street (approximately 25 homes), the electrical infrastructure would be unable to carry more than three houses with a single Tesla, each.  For even half the homes to have electric vehicles, the system would be wildly over-loaded.

This is the elephant in the room with electric vehicles.  Our residential infrastructure cannot bear the load. So as our genius elected officials promote this nonsense, not only are we being urged to buy these things and replace our reliable, cheap generating systems with expensive, new windmills and solar cells, but we will also have to renovate our entire delivery system!     This latter "investment" will not be revealed until we're so far down this dead end road that it will be presented with an 'OOPS...!' and a shrug.

If you want to argue with a green person over cars that are eco-friendly, just read the following.  Note: If you ARE a green person, read it anyway.  It's enlightening.

Eric test drove the Chevy Volt   at the invitation of General Motors and he writes, "For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine."  Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg   including the 25 miles it ran on the battery.  So, the range including the 9-gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh battery is approximately 270 miles.

It will take you 4.5 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph.  Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours.  In a typical road trip your average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph.

According to General Motors, the Volt battery holds 16 kwh of electricity.  It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery.   The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned, so I looked up what I pay for electricity.  I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kwh. 16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery.  $18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the Volt using the battery.  Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine that gets only 32 mpg.  $3.19 per gallon divided by 32 mpg = $0.10 per mile.

The gasoline powered car costs about $20,000 while the Volt costs $46,000-plus.  So the American Government wants loyal Americans not to do the math, but simply pay three times as much for a car, that costs more than seven times as much to run, and takes three times longer to drive across the country.

2 minutes ago, GG said:

It's only interesting to people who don't understand math.

And I said this years ago when I first moved to SF where they use lots of electric powered buses.  On the back they all said "Zero Emissions Vehicle"  I drove my wife crazy whenever I saw one (which was often)  "Only at this end!"

20 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

INTERESTING -  ONE OTHER QUESTION. IF ELECTRIC CARS DO NOT USE GASOLINE, THEY WILL NOT PARTICIPATE IN PAYING A GASOLINE TAX ON EVERY GALLON THAT IS SOLD FOR AUTOMOBILES, WHICH WAS ENACTED SOME YEARS AGO TO HELP TO MAINTAIN OUR ROADS AND BRIDGES. THEY WILL USE THE ROADS, BUT WILL NOT PAY FOR THEIR MAINTENANCE!

Couple of things here.

I do believe in human effected climate change. I am not opposed to trying to find solutions. 

I also believe most of the recycling is a net negative.

I also believe electric cars currently are a net negative.

In terms of electric cars not paying for roads, when McDonnell was governor here in VA he saw this coming..tried to eliminate the gas tax, or at least   add surcharges to alternative fuel vehicles to cover road usage... and prevent them from being in the HOV lanes.

And this woman is a little more impressive than I thought she would be. I am in no way advocating for the Green New Deal..but I thought she would embarrass herself when she spoke..and I was wrong

7 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

And this woman is a little more impressive than I thought she would be. I am in no way advocating for the Green New Deal..but I thought she would embarrass herself when she spoke..and I was wrong

All the bad things she's describing are largely due to government policies.   So naturally, we need more cowbell.

4 minutes ago, GG said:

All the bad things she's describing are largely due to government policies.   So naturally, we need more cowbell.

yea, I am not saying I agree or disagree with anything she is saying..but she has not thrown up all over herself in the few times I have heard her speak..like in the Cohen hearing and here. I thought she would be a pure chit show..but no so much so far

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

yea, I am not saying I agree or disagree with anything she is saying..but she has not thrown up all over herself in the few times I have heard her speak..like in the Cohen hearing and here. I thought she would be a pure chit show..but no so much so far

She's tailor made for the reality show universe that we now occupy, where the Kardashians are paragons of business.

39 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Couple of things here.

I do believe in human effected climate change. I am not opposed to trying to find solutions. 

I also believe most of the recycling is a net negative.

I also believe electric cars currently are a net negative.

In terms of electric cars not paying for roads, when McDonnell was governor here in VA he saw this coming..tried to eliminate the gas tax, or at least   add surcharges to alternative fuel vehicles to cover road usage... and prevent them from being in the HOV lanes.

She's just a little full of herself. She's "The Boss" and anyone that doesn't agree with The Green New Deal will get primaried. She acted like a spoiled brat at the SOTU speech and has pissed off party leadership. Really, a sit-in at Pelosi's office? Steny Hoyer is basically discrediting her. Where did she get the end of the world in 12 years nonsense? She's nothing more than a Valley Girl transferred to the Bronx 30 years later.

31 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Before thinking too highly of her, remember how she was chosen for her seat by the Justice Democrats/Young Turks American Idol type competition. She's an actress - who reads from a script given to her by Justice Democrats. She's not an independent thinker, she's a marionette. Like in the Cohen hearing. She read every question from a binder. 

Let's remember that this asshat controls four congressmen: 

Image result for young turks cenk

Image result for justice democrats

#TimesUp

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

This is for Engineers out there, surely there should be a rebuttal to this article.  Say it isn't true!  As an engineer I love the electric vehicle technology.  However, I have been troubled for a long time by the fact that the electrical energy to keep the batteries charged has to come from the grid and that means more power generation and a huge increase in the distribution infrastructure.  Whether generated from coal, gas, oil, wind or sun, installed generation capacity is limited.  A friend sent me the following that says it very well.  You should all take a look at this short article.

In case you were thinking of buying hybrid or an electric car:

Ever since the advent of electric cars, the REAL cost per mile of those things has never been discussed. All you ever heard was the mpg in terms of gasoline, with nary a mention of the cost of electricity to run it   . This is the first article I've ever seen and tells the story pretty much as I expected it to

Electricity has to be one of the least efficient ways to power things yet they're being shoved down our throats.  Glad somebody finally put engineering and math   to paper.

At a neighborhood BBQ I was talking to a neighbor, a BC Hydro executive.  I asked him how that renewable thing was doing.  He laughed, then got serious.  If you really intend to adopt electric vehicles, he pointed out, you had to face certain realities.

For example, a home charging system for a Tesla requires 75 amp service.  The average house is equipped with 100 amp service.  On our small street (approximately 25 homes), the electrical infrastructure would be unable to carry more than three houses with a single Tesla, each.  For even half the homes to have electric vehicles, the system would be wildly over-loaded.

This is the elephant in the room with electric vehicles.  Our residential infrastructure cannot bear the load. So as our genius elected officials promote this nonsense, not only are we being urged to buy these things and replace our reliable, cheap generating systems with expensive, new windmills and solar cells, but we will also have to renovate our entire delivery system!     This latter "investment" will not be revealed until we're so far down this dead end road that it will be presented with an 'OOPS...!' and a shrug.

If you want to argue with a green person over cars that are eco-friendly, just read the following.  Note: If you ARE a green person, read it anyway.  It's enlightening.

Eric test drove the Chevy Volt   at the invitation of General Motors and he writes, "For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine."  Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg   including the 25 miles it ran on the battery.  So, the range including the 9-gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh battery is approximately 270 miles.

It will take you 4.5 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph.  Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours.  In a typical road trip your average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph.

According to General Motors, the Volt battery holds 16 kwh of electricity.  It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery.   The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned, so I looked up what I pay for electricity.  I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kwh. 16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery.  $18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the Volt using the battery.  Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine that gets only 32 mpg.  $3.19 per gallon divided by 32 mpg = $0.10 per mile.

The gasoline powered car costs about $20,000 while the Volt costs $46,000-plus.  So the American Government wants loyal Americans not to do the math, but simply pay three times as much for a car, that costs more than seven times as much to run, and takes three times longer to drive across the country.

Where is he paying $1.16/kwh for his electricity?

It's about $0.12/kwh in NYS.

I think it's clear, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that none of these people believe in the global warming hype.

They may believe it in some abstract sense, but if they truly believed that we faced impending doom if we didn't immediately reduce carbon emissions, they would never go about it this way.

12 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Before thinking too highly of her, remember how she was chosen for her seat by the Justice Democrats/Young Turks American Idol type competition. She's an actress - who reads from a script given to her by Justice Democrats. She's not an independent thinker, she's a marionette. Like in the Cohen hearing. She read every question from a binder. 

That she may be, but she is much better at than expected would you not agree?

9 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

@plenzmd1 This is a really important truth to understand. She is, quite literally, an failed bartender turned actress who is given words and ideas to repeat on behalf of JD/YTA.  She is at her worse when she attempts to be extemporaneous. When you see her sound coherent, it's because she's repeating something she's either rehearsed or has written in front of her. The Cohen hearing  was literally her reading something from a piece of paper given to her by JD/YTA.

The odds of her understanding what she was reading are as long as, oh, say, Canada winning the Stanley Cup. Or Olympic curling.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

Well, maybe she should be nominated for an Oscar instead.

11 minutes ago, Taro T said:

My guess is the author added up all charges divided by kwh which would be the proper way to calculate it.

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

She's better than expected at reading lines? Sure, I'd agree there. But I'm not sure that's a compliment or something to laud her for.

The fact she can only read from prepared material, written for her by lobbyists, doesn't make her unique to Congress either (for clarity/objectivity) - but it doesn't make her a savant. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

She's Johnny Bravo.  A manufactured media sensation brought to you by a buncha ex Bernie-Bros.  She is young, cleans up well, and can memorize her lines. She gets in trouble when she tries to continue a conversation past the talking points she has learned. 

If she brings in money to the DNC she'll be "allowed" to continue with her act. If she costs the DNC (or more importantly, her fellow Congressional members) money, she will have a very short tenure in Congress.  The Amazon debacle she was blamed for didn't make a lot of monied people very happy. 

There have been whispers that her seat will be one eliminated in NYS after the 2020 census numbers come in, or that she will be primaried from within.  I am pretty sure Nancy has already made a decision on what will happen in 2020 (and beyond), but maybe not. 

55 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Well, maybe she should be nominated for an Oscar instead.

My guess is the author added up all charges divided by kwh which would be the proper way to calculate it.

Umm, yeah.  And in NYS, when all those charges (delivery, supply, meter, taxes, etc.) are added together they total to about $0.12/kwh.

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Umm, yeah.  And in NYS, when all those charges (delivery, supply, meter, taxes, etc.) are added together they total to about $0.12/kwh.

I looked on an old bill and paid $62 for 405 kwh so you're not far off. Looks like the author either miscalculated or is in an area where electricity prices are pretty damn high.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Canada.  BC Hydro.  Only the rate schedule for single-family residential for BC Hydro is a $0.20/day base rate plus a max $0.14/kwh rate.   

It's less an "Interesting Take" than a "Nonsense Take."  I'm betting it's been going around Facebook for years.

8 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Canada.  BC Hydro.  Only the rate schedule for single-family residential for BC Hydro is a $0.20/day base rate plus a max $0.14/kwh rate.   

It's less an "Interesting Take" than a "Nonsense Take."  I'm betting it's been going around Facebook for years.

Wouldn't be too surprising.

Didn't look at any of his other #'s, but an electric rate 1 order of magnitude too high stood out.

2 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

I looked on an old bill and paid $62 for 405 kwh so you're not far off. Looks like the author either miscalculated or is in an area where electricity prices are pretty damn high.

I can't believe there is somewhere in the US where the bill is 8 times what is normal.   My January Bill had 5.5 cents per KW for supply and 5.5 cents for delivery.  There is also a $17 dollar base for delivery so the total was was $94.17 for 735 kwh or 12.8 cents a kwh.   It varies from month to month and IRC, it has been 15 cents sometime during the year.

25 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

The article specifically says "BC Hydro."

Should've bolded your 2nd sentence for the reply.  Was referring to the likelihood of it being another Facebook-ish rant, not the purported source of the electricty.

20 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

(head scratch) Trump's DOJ protecting the environment from corrupt CA state officials? 

(re-checks narrative)

More weirdly...the federal government is suing CA for violating CA law?  

That's really not a federal issue.

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

More weirdly...the federal government is suing CA for violating CA law?  

That's really not a federal issue.

From the link:

On Dec. 12, 2018, the California State Water Resources Control Board (the Board) approved and adopted amendments to the Water Quality Control Plan for the San Francisco Bay/Sacramento–San Joaquin Delta Estuary (amended plan) and the related Substitute Environmental Document (SED).  According to the complaint, the Amended Plan fails to comply with CEQA and, once implemented, will impair DOI’s ability to operate the New Melones Dam consistent with Congressional directives for the project. 

“The environmental analysis by the California State Water Resources Control Board hid the true impacts of their plan and could put substantial operational constraints on the Department of the Interior’s ability to effectively operate the New Melones Dam, which plays a critical role in flood control, irrigation, and power generation in the Sacramento region,” said Assistant Attorney General Jeffrey Bossert Clark for the Department of Justice’s Environment and Natural Resources Division. “The Department of Justice will continue to advocate on behalf of our federal partners, especially when it comes to the proper application of federal and state environmental laws.”

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

There are times when he is just a fricken moron and there are times like this when he just speaks his mind and he's spot on.  Yes...don't kill it.  

Edited by Chef Jim

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

From that site:

https://babylonbee.com/news/woman-sitting-directly-under-church-air-conditioning-vent-freezes-into-solid-block-of-ice

"The last time someone was frozen solid like that was at a Presbyterian church uptown, but that was just their worship style," she added.

???