David Culley (former Bills QB coach) gone- to Ravens

One Buffalo

On 1/29/2019 at 11:40 AM, Bray Wyatt said:

they had to give him that Assistant HC title I imagine so it would be seen as a promotion, otherwise they couldnt have interviewed him or would have to ask permission

As far as I know, only coordinators are regarded as a promotion not requiring a team's permission.

Assistant HC (again, as far as I know) doesn't cut it.

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This is what is lost on eball and Doc, IMO.

I dunno...I’ll take the guy “who is always open” (Beasley) as a safety net for Josh. 

I don’t believe I said the Bills shouldn’t continue to look at upgrading the WR corps...I said I don’t think it’s imperative they have a Julio Jones/AJ Green/Antonio Brown to be successful. 

11 hours ago, Doc said:

1)  Yes and those #1's weren't Sammy.  He's a decoy.  Always has been, always will be.   And the only other shot at getting a #1 WR was AB and the Bills decided that his potential help to Josh wasn't worth the headache he stood a good likelihood of becoming.

2)  How about...#1 passing defense in the NFL by over 15 yards/game fewer than the next team?  Boom.

The funny thing is you think you think you know stuff and you get schooled by those who you think don't.  You should talk less and listen more.  But good luck with that.

1) Are you on record that Foster will match the 2018 production of Cooks and Hill?   I mean that would be great but the reason KC acquired Watkins is because they wanted elite talent on both sides of the field at WR.    So the notion that you don't need elite talent at WR certainly isn't something the Rams and Chiefs believe in, is it?   Seems stupid to try to follow the Brady template when you have a green young QB with an entirely different skill set............and I think the Bills WANT that elite talent but maybe they need to get clubbed on the head this season to realize that it's something they NEED.    That's been their MO...........they make dumb mistakes and then fix it the next year.   Could be the progression from big slow receivers to quick and fast WR to actual STUD WR is going to be need a 3rd offeason.

2) Exactly what I said..........you don't know the personnel around the rest of the league and yet you think you can stack them up.    

The guy called Doc with 30K posts that speaks only in vague generalities and moves goal posts says I should talk less and listen more.............that's precious.:lol:

10 hours ago, eball said:

I dunno...I’ll take the guy “who is always open” (Beasley) as a safety net for Josh. 

I don’t believe I said the Bills shouldn’t continue to look at upgrading the WR corps...I said I don’t think it’s imperative they have a Julio Jones/AJ Green/Antonio Brown to be successful. 

If Beasley is "always open" why does he only average about 30 yards receiving per game over his career?  

Think about it. 

Weren't you one of the guys predicting Andre Holmes could return to being a 700 yard WR when the Bills acquired him?    After a couple years where he averaged 160?

We all hope that UFA acquisitions turn out like Lorax and Zach Brown and totally blow away their past production but the reality is you are usually lucky just to get what they had been producing in recent years.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

As far as I know, only coordinators are regarded as a promotion not requiring a team's permission.

Assistant HC (again, as far as I know) doesn't cut it.

Technically, I think the only thing considered a promotion is becoming a HC. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If Beasley is "always open" why does he only average about 30 yards receiving per game over his career?  

Think about it. 

Weren't you one of the guys predicting Andre Holmes could return to being a 700 yard WR when the Bills acquired him?    After a couple years where he averaged 160?

We all hope that UFA acquisitions turn out like Lorax and Zach Brown and totally blow away their past production but the reality is you are usually lucky just to get what they had been producing in recent years.

Umm, no, I wasn't.  I'm simply referring to a player (Beasley) who was underutilized in Dallas despite having an ability to get open and be a safety net for a QB.  That's it.

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 7:52 AM, eball said:

Thought I'd add a little recent "inside info" to this thread.  Won't reveal my source but the info is trustworthy; otherwise I wouldn't post it.  Here are the salient points:

1 -- David Culley was "worthless" with respect to Josh's development (the comment "didn't know what he was doing" was uttered)

2 -- Neither Peterman nor McCarron were helpful

3 -- Once he joined the team Derek Anderson became the de facto QB coach

4 -- The Bills offered Jordan Palmer the QB coach job but Jordan "is enjoying his life the way it is" -- enter Dorsey

Take it for what it's worth.  We certainly saw the development in Josh towards season end.

...pretty interesting stuff...thanks for sharing........:thumbsup:

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1) Are you on record that Foster will match the 2018 production of Cooks and Hill?   I mean that would be great but the reason KC acquired Watkins is because they wanted elite talent on both sides of the field at WR.    So the notion that you don't need elite talent at WR certainly isn't something the Rams and Chiefs believe in, is it?   Seems stupid to try to follow the Brady template when you have a green young QB with an entirely different skill set............and I think the Bills WANT that elite talent but maybe they need to get clubbed on the head this season to realize that it's something they NEED.    That's been their MO...........they make dumb mistakes and then fix it the next year.   Could be the progression from big slow receivers to quick and fast WR to actual STUD WR is going to be need a 3rd offeason.

2) Exactly what I said..........you don't know the personnel around the rest of the league and yet you think you can stack them up.    

The guy called Doc with 30K posts that speaks only in vague generalities and moves goal posts says I should talk less and listen more.............that's precious.:lol:

It's not about post counts.  Or making people think you know what you're talking by acting like a condescending pompous ass who fills his posts with laughing emojis. 

Again, the Bills went out and got players they believe will help Josh out.  The supply of #1 WR's was limited and they passed on 2 who wore out their welcome with HOF QB's in larger markets and with reputedly model franchises.  They may have their own in Foster.  But again, Sammy was and never will be a #1 WR so do yourself a favor and stop talking about him.

• Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Doc said:

An elite talent/true #1 (and that's what Sammy's paid like) produces despite double-coverage (Sammy doesn't).  He also gets injured a lot (what's that saying: the best ability is availability?).  The Rams fared fine without him and the Chefs would too.

The Bills had a chance to add an elite talent in AB but given the way he acted with the Steelers, I was glad they came to their senses and didn't go through with it.  Some other #1 WR like Hopkins, Jones, even Green?  Sure, but they're not available.  Let the Bills develop their own potential elite talent in Foster without hindering him with AB's presence/AB getting pissy that someone else is taking his touches away.

Go check the archives: I was actually one of the few who didn't bag on Sky Diver and instead said Foster would need to prove himself first before touting him as a superstar.  I later (rightfully) bagged-on Foster himself when his pre-demotion play warranted criticism.  But after getting back on the active roster and producing, I've been a big supporter of his and even commended Sky Diver on his prediction.  The kid showed immense improvement from the start of the season to the end and considering how raw he was/is, how buried he was on the depth chart all off-, pre- and most of the season and how hard he worked and is still working, I see big things for him going forward.  Brown and Beasley are going to be the complement to him.

And no the Bills aren't the only team with deep CB talent.  But they're among the best.

...GOOD stuff Doc......you're always willing to man up with "mea cuplas"......much appreciated...:thumbsup:

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...GOOD stuff Doc......you're always willing to man up with "mea cuplas"......much appreciated...:thumbsup:

I try.  I didn't feel the need to pile on Sky Diver and I felt bad for what people did to him (I think I even gave him a like when Foster started playing well).  It's not unlike when someone posts some inside info and ultimately gets driven away.

4 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...pretty interesting stuff...thanks for sharing........:thumbsup:

That’s a bunch of horse****

peterman and mccarron might not of been helpful but Culley is far from incompetent 

McDermott has no problem canning coaches and never got rid of him. Survived Dennison axing and Daboll kept him aboard 

Edited by Buffalo716

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

That’s a bunch of horse****

...easy there Big Dawg.......NO WHERE did I say I agree.....merely said "pretty interesting stuff...thanks for sharing".....and I also know you are very high on his abilities and I have NO basis to doubt it as well....are we good here?....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...easy there Big Dawg.......NO WHERE did I say I agree.....merely said "pretty interesting stuff...thanks for sharing".....and I also know you are very high on his abilities and I have NO basis to doubt it as well....are we good here?....

I know you didn’t say anything. And he isn’t off on everything... but it’s pretty easy to label Culley the scapegoat because everybody does but he survived Dennison firing and Daboll hiring. Universally praised by coaches... he is far from inept

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

I know you didn’t say anything. And he isn’t off on everything... but it’s pretty easy to label Culley the scapegoat because everybody does but he survived Dennison firing and Daboll hiring. Universally praised by coaches... he is far from inept

Yeah but what were his qualifications as a QB coach?  Prior to the Bills he was a QB coach in college 20 years ago.  Since then he's been a WR coach.

Just now, Doc said:

Yeah but what were his qualifications as a QB coach?  Prior to the Bills he was a QB coach in college 20 years ago.  Since then he's been a WR coach.

I’ve been employed in football my whole life... it’s a tough game.. you go with the better job opportunity and $

he was getting promotions as WR coaches it would be dumb to turn them down ...

i had friends who played for Culley who say he is a fantastic offensive coach and can coach anything on offense 

He was also a D1 QB and has experience at the position. Is he the best QB coach in the league? No... but there are far worse

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/24/2019 at 7:25 AM, Bangarang said:

A guy with absolutely zero history of developing NFL QBs wasn’t able to develop an NFL QB? Who would’ve known?

McD and BB don’t look good with the kind of QB room they put Allen in his rookie year. They managed to correct that a little with the Anderson signing.

Not sure any of us liked it or understood it even at the time.......

I was more like "what is the guys actual role on the team because its not to develop Josh Allen"

Looks like they are getting it corrected in Josh Allen year 2

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

...here's how I look at it my friend....25+ years NFL coaching experience...WR/QB or QB/WR Coach , however someone wants to brand his strengths...perhaps more indicative of his talent is that the Ravens hired him with a very, VERY raw talent at QB, drawing on his skills to develop him....haven't WE had respected guys like Lee or Wyche that did not work out in QB development?.....however, add in their pupils as OBD's track record for QB's post Kelly is abysmal....

34 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I’ve been employed in football my whole life... it’s a tough game.. you go with the better job opportunity and $

he was getting promotions as WR coaches it would be dumb to turn them down ...

i had friends who played for Culley who say he is a fantastic offensive coach and can coach anything on offense 

He was also a D1 QB and has experience at the position. Is he the best QB coach in the league? No... but there are far worse

Fair enough.  But he went to Baltimore to be their WR coach.  I'd just assume go with a coach who has been coaching QB's consistently.

21 minutes ago, Doc said:

Fair enough.  But he went to Baltimore to be their WR coach.  I'd just assume go with a coach who has been coaching QB's consistently.

He actually is assistant HC/ WR coach / passing game coordinator 

It was a promotion and they obviously trust him to coordinate their passing game... he is working with the QBs too