Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

that is prolly the one thing i could root for..a 4-0 series sweep by the Bruins, Babcock fired and the Sabres hire him a day after he is fired.

Babock's wife would not stand for the relocation. You will end up having another year to continue with your haranguing of Housley. I will just remain quiet and privately snicker at your discomfort. :)

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah, I’ll be rooting against Toronto too. But I wouldn’t go as far as t9 say that I am rootain’t for Boston. My ideal 1st round would include both of hem being eliminated... lol. 

But really though, The only thing I truly care about is that both St. Louis and San Jose lose by the 2nd round. 

If they make it to the conference finals, it pushes their 1st into that 28-31 range. 

I believe that one of the first round picks was used in the Montour deal. I'm not sure which one? 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I believe that one of the first round picks was used in the Montour deal. I'm not sure which one? 

As of now it’s the St. Louis pick (currently #22). 

The San Jose pick is currently at #24. 

We we have to wait and see where everything falls after the draft lottery though. We will have a bit better idea after the regular season ends tonight. There is still a tint chance the St. Louis pick could end up at #19 (after the draft lottery) depending on what happens tonight. 

Anaheim gets the better of the 2 picks if the STL pick ends up #20 or higher. Buffalo keeps it if it ends up at #19. 

Then we also have to root for both STL and SJ to lose by the 2nd round of the playoffs. If one makes it to the conference finals, it pushes the pick to the 28-31 range. 

Skinner with #40! 

His first 40g season. And Buffalo has a 40 goal scorer for the first time since 2008 (iirc). 

I love that Housley moved him back to the top line for the 3rd and that all his teammates were trying to set him up to score, passing up chances of their own to get Skinner the puck. Love seeing that type of stuff. 

Wow, unbelievable. 7-1. 

I love it!  

When is the last time the Sabres ended the season with a win? It feels like forever. Especially a blowout 7-1 win...

I know it screws up their draft position by 1 spot but I’m still happy for a definitive win like this. 

The Rangers game is in overtime so that locks Buffalo into the #5 spot.

Now let’s hope for some draft lottery luck! 

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

As of now it’s the St. Louis pick (currently #22). 

The San Jose pick is currently at #24. 

We we have to wait and see where everything falls after the draft lottery though. We will have a bit better idea after the regular season ends tonight. There is still a tint chance the St. Louis pick could end up at #19 (after the draft lottery) depending on what happens tonight. 

Anaheim gets the better of the 2 picks if the STL pick ends up #20 or higher. Buffalo keeps it if it ends up at #19. 

Then we also have to root for both STL and SJ to lose by the 2nd round of the playoffs. If one makes it to the conference finals, it pushes the pick to the 28-31 range. 

With respect to where any of those two picks are located it doesn't matter. I strongly believe that the other one will be dealt off for a player or be involved in a trade package where we will get a front line player. 

Despite the chorus of opposition from the frenzied crowd here I hope the organization keeps Housley, even if he is on a short leash next year.  In my opinion we need coaching continuity instead of resorting to churning coaches when there are struggles. This is a much better team than it was last year. And hopefully that trend will continue and the upward trajectory will be even steepe next yearr.

The GM has to make it a priority to add a second line center and build a credible second line to augment the productive first line. Mittelstadt is going to be a good player but he is not ready to be a second center yet. This is a young team with plenty of potential to grow. Dahlin, Olofsson, Nylander, Borgen, Pilut and Tage were all essentially rookies. They all should be better next year.

Will Risto be dealt for a second line player? There were many reports that he was offered on the market this season. Although I get irritated by his dumb play I suspect that he will play better with less playing time. 

There are plenty of people here who have succumbed to the miasma of pessimism with this team. I'm not one of them. My recommendation is mostly stay the course. I understand why people have been frustrated and want to tear this team to shreds and go back to the drawing board. That would be a big mistake. It takes time to rebuild. This team is not in the beginning stage of the process but closer to being past the middle. If this organization has the courage to follow their plan/conviction the fans will be rewarded in the not too distant future. 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Happy for Skinner. 

I have nothing but admiration for Skinner. Whether he was scoring prolifically or in and extended scoring drought his effort-level stayed constant. He is a feisty SOB and a tough player to play against. I'm hopeful that he will be signed. It is a good situation for him and the organization. 

• Like (+1) 1

Well, things somewhat worked out for Buffalo last night (as far as potentially getting the higher STL pick). Almost every team we needed to win did. Has the Blues not won in the shootout like they did, their pick would have been #19. Currently it sits at #20 but we still have a chance...

If any of Colorado, Vegas, Dallas, or Columbus make their respective conference finals (and St. Louis does not), then St. Louis's pick will go up to the 19th pick (or as high as 17, potentially), and Buffalo would retain it.

So I know what teams I will be rooting for when the playoffs start! 

Vegas seems like the most likely to make the finals. Let’s hope Fleury gets hot again. 

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Who are the top two prizes in the lottery this year?

Jack Hughes (C) is probably the top prize and Kaapo Kakko (wing) going 2nd. 

It looks like tiers, as usual.

Hughes and Kakko are tier 1. Then there’s a tier from about 3-7. Then 8-9. Then a drop off. 

• Thank you (+1) 2