Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

4 hours ago, K-9 said:

I didn’t hear the presser, but I just read a few of his comments. 

I now have concerns about Botterill as well. 

Not because he’s retaining Housley as I can understand that in his position as GM. Rather, it’s his hackneyed rhetoric about “being in games” that has me worried. This team has “been in games” and “competing” hard for years. They were “in games” last year and under Bylsma, too. Indeed, the second half of Bylsma’s first season saw the team play at a 96 point pace for an entire season. Something Housley hasn’t come close to replicating, even with much of the same team Bylsma team last year. 

“Being in games” and “competing” is the BARE minimum for admittance to the league and not some achievement to be celebrated. Every team competes hard on most nights over a long season.This idea of “being in games” and “competing” is a loser’s lament. A sign that the people in charge are confusing effort with results which is a huge cause for concern.

It is also a huge slap in the face and an insult to the intelligence of the fan base. 

Lets see how patient Botterill remains if the season continues at the same 11-18-5 post streak pace to finish out the year. 

That is the one part of the interview that made me cringe a bit. Botterill kind of stumble with his answer. You could tell the way Harrington worded the question that it caught botterill off guard. “It’s a situation where” Botterill is not a very good public speaker to begin with though.... lol

Being in games is not the only reason he gave for retaining housley. He gave numerous reasons throughout the interview. 

But It’s still true, the Sabres have been in almost every game this year and that was not really the case in 2015 or 2016 or 2017. There were games where buffalo didn’t even look like they belonged in the ice with the other team. There were large stretches of games where all they’d do is defend, chip the puck into the neutral zone and go right back to defending again. Or they’d get down by a goal and it was game over. Everyone hanging their heads. 

I agree that being in games and competing should be the expectation for every single NHl team. It’s a low bar. But sadly, that really was not the reality here in buffalo these past 5 years.So as sad as it is, just being competitive in every game is a step forward.  

Oh, and BTW I believe housley beat that 2nd half of 2015 point pace the first half of this year.

The record from the first half of this season was better than the record from the 2nd half of 2015. They were 22-20 (with 6 OT losses. 50 points) this year and 20-22 (with 7 OT losses. 47pts) the second half of 2015. So the first half of this year was a better point pace if my math is right...

It would be a 101 pt. pace vs. a 94 pt. pace. 

48 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

That is the one part of the interview that made me cringe a bit. Botterill kind of stumble with his answer. You could tell the way Harrington worded the question that it caught botterill off guard. “It’s a situation where” Botterill is not a very good public speaker to begin with though.... lol

Being in games is not the only reason he gave for retaining housley. He gave numerous reasons throughout the interview. 

But It’s still true, the Sabres have been in almost every game this year and that was not really the case in 2015 or 2016 or 2017. There were games where buffalo didn’t even look like they belonged in the ice with the other team. There were large stretches of games where all they’d do is defend, chip the puck into the neutral zone and go right back to defending again. Or they’d get down by a goal and it was game over. Everyone hanging their heads. 

I agree that being in games and competing should be the expectation for every single NHl team. It’s a low bar. But sadly, that really was not the reality here in buffalo these past 5 years.So as sad as it is, just being competitive in every game is a step forward.  

Oh, and BTW I believe housley beat that 2nd half of 2015 point pace the first half of this year.

The record from the first half of this season was better than the record from the 2nd half of 2015. They were 22-20 (with 6 OT losses. 50 points) this year and 20-22 (with 7 OT losses. 47pts) the second half of 2015. So the first half of this year was a better point pace if my math is right...

It would be a 101 pt. pace vs. a 94 pt. pace. 

Then by all means, Housley needs to be in the discussion for coach of the year! Bylsma’s pace may have been post All Star break, so it wouldn’t have been an even season split. Doesn’t matter. 

Seriously though, Housley leading them to a great record in the first half (actually first two months)  has nothing to do with today. Nothing. It was ENTIRELY the result of a completely fluke 10 game win streak. Question: was it the great coaching or crappy players that brought us that streak? It’s been so long I can’t remember. 

What’s his pace since the streak ended? It was at 67 points going into the Panther game. Not much better than the 62 for last year’s season. And counting. 

Anyway, I found Botterill’s quotes lacking in a huge way. Especially that bull crap about how Housely and the staff do such a great job communicating with the players. Really? Because they look like nothing is sinking in. But hey, they compete hard, so yippee!

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Then by all means, Housley needs to be in the discussion for coach of the year! Bylsma’s pace may have been post All Star break, so it wouldn’t have been an even season split. Doesn’t matter. 

Seriously though, Housley leading them to a great record in the first half (actually first two months)  has nothing to do with today. Nothing. It was ENTIRELY the result of a completely fluke 10 game win streak. Question: was it the great coaching or crappy players that brought us that streak? It’s been so long I can’t remember. 

What’s his pace since the streak ended? It was at 67 points going into the Panther game. Not much better than the 62 for last year’s season. And counting. 

Anyway, I found Botterill’s quotes lacking in a huge way. Especially that bull crap about how Housely and the staff do such a great job communicating with the players. Really? Because they look like nothing is sinking in. But hey, they compete hard, so yippee!

I wasn’t saying anything about housley being coach of the year.

The only reason I even brought up anything about the records of housley vs Bylsma is because you said that Bylsma went on a 94 point pace in the 2nd half of his first season and that is something housley has not come close to replicating. 

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Anyway, I found Botterill’s quotes lacking in a huge way. Especially that bull crap about how Housely and the staff do such a great job communicating with the players.

Let's be fair.  The players show up for practice and games. So communication isn't really a huge problem. Low on the list.

And let's be honest.  Botterill has to either blast his coach and then can him, or he needs to support the coach publicly.  He already said Housley isn't getting fired.  I've wanted the team to cut their losses and fire Housley.  Now that it looks like he's sticking around, I think he's got to stay through this year and at least next year at a minimum.  The reason is that Botterill is going to keep trying to bring in Housley-system guys.  Then, once everything is in place and the team still sucks, Housley gets fired.

52 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I wasn’t saying anything about housley being coach of the year.

The only reason I even brought up anything about the records of housley vs Bylsma is because you said that Bylsma went on a 94 point pace in the 2nd half of his first season and that is something housley has not come close to replicating. 

OK, not only did Housley come close to replicating Bylsma's post All Star game pace of 96 points, he smashed it! 

In the first six weeks of the season. 

Because of a 10 game win streak. 

Isn't there an old sports adage about not where you start, but how you finish? 

Housley's been on a 67 point pace since December, and falling. And, even though they sit at one point better than last year's 62 points, they will be hard pressed to equal Bylsma's season worst of 78 points. 

Should have kept Rolston!

54 minutes ago, snafu said:

Let's be fair.  The players show up for practice and games. So communication isn't really a huge problem. Low on the list.

And let's be honest.  Botterill has to either blast his coach and then can him, or he needs to support the coach publicly.  He already said Housley isn't getting fired.  I've wanted the team to cut their losses and fire Housley.  Now that it looks like he's sticking around, I think he's got to stay through this year and at least next year at a minimum.  The reason is that Botterill is going to keep trying to bring in Housley-system guys.  Then, once everything is in place and the team still sucks, Housley gets fired.

Botterill can support his coach publicly without insulting the intelligence of long suffering fans by offering platitudes and cliches about effort. 

Or, maybe not. 

14 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Botterill can support his coach publicly without insulting the intelligence of long suffering fans by offering platitudes and cliches about effort. 

Or, maybe not.

Botterill and Housley are like BF/GF.

WE can talk about what an ugly witch loser Hously is, But Botterill can't.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, snafu said:

Botterill and Housley are like BF/GF.

WE can talk about what an ugly witch loser Hously is, But Botterill can't.

I fully understand the position Botterill is in and I'd never suggest he throw Housley under the bus. I'd find that unprofessional and unacceptable. 

But I also cannot accept the turd sandwich he threw out there for our consumption yesterday. I had hoped he was smarter than that. Worse, he may actually believe that giving effort and playing hard is some sort of achievement, when it's the bare minimum requirement. No great shakes in that department and I give Housley no credit for that. Every team in the league plays hard most nights. 

Like I said, it sounds like Botterill and Co. are confusing effort with results. This team has been treading water, nothing more. 

And if Housley needs "his players" to implement "his system" and we need to wait years for that or we have to wait for a team full of All Stars before we can say he's a good coach or not is a crock, imo. Good coaches can exhibit good traits, regardless of the talent level on their team. They especially need show good coaching ability when the talent level isn't optimal. I've seen precious little of that from him so far. 

But I'm sure he'll be a great coach when he has that team of All Stars at his disposal. 

I need someone to help here. I am such a bad  sports gambler outside of NFL, I really want to unload on this game at + 215 as I feel it should be closer to +350... someone knows something. 

Just upped a bit, don’t want to go on tilt to much , but something just smells fishy here. Either way, kinda warm tonight, expected to be 49 game time, 40 at 10. Yes @Augie, that is warm. Outside game tonight plenty o Genny’s, nice bet on the Sabres nose, good fire  , good Thursday night. 

16 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I need someone to help here. I am such a bad  sports gambler outside of NFL, I really want to unload on this game at + 215 as I feel it should be closer to +350... someone knows something. 

Just upped a bit, don’t want to go on tilt to much , but something just smells fishy here. Either way, kinda warm tonight, expected to be 49 game time, 40 at 10. Yes @Augie, that is warm. Outside game tonight plenty o Genny’s, nice bet on the Sabres nose, good fire  , good Thursday night. 

Will you be wearing pants, for a change? 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

I fully understand the position Botterill is in and I'd never suggest he throw Housley under the bus. I'd find that unprofessional and unacceptable. 

But I also cannot accept the turd sandwich he threw out there for our consumption yesterday. I had hoped he was smarter than that. Worse, he may actually believe that giving effort and playing hard is some sort of achievement, when it's the bare minimum requirement. No great shakes in that department and I give Housley no credit for that. Every team in the league plays hard most nights. 

Like I said, it sounds like Botterill and Co. are confusing effort with results. This team has been treading water, nothing more. 

And if Housley needs "his players" to implement "his system" and we need to wait years for that or we have to wait for a team full of All Stars before we can say he's a good coach or not is a crock, imo. Good coaches can exhibit good traits, regardless of the talent level on their team. They especially need show good coaching ability when the talent level isn't optimal. I've seen precious little of that from him so far. 

But I'm sure he'll be a great coach when he has that team of All Stars at his disposal. 

Maybe it is just me being a skeptic, but unless a GM is announcing an injury, a trade, a lineup change, details of a new contract, or a coaching change, I just expect to be served a turd sandwich.

As for Housley, I’ve pretty much already said what I think about system coaches.  They, to me, are a waste of time — especially if they don’t work out. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, snafu said:

Maybe it is just me being a skeptic, but unless a GM is announcing an injury, a trade, a lineup change, details of a new contract, or a coaching change, I just expect to be served a turd sandwich.

As for Housley, I’ve pretty much already said what I think about system coaches.  They, to me, are a waste of time — especially if they don’t work out. 

I agree about expecting turd sandwiches. Doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be called out when they do offer it up, though.

Some turd sandwiches are more revealing than others. As such, I’m concerned about what Botterill considers progress and success.

• Like (+1) 1

Damn, that’s brutal. All 3 scratched for precautionary reasons (the trade deadline is Monday). Probably means all 3 are gone. We know Duchene is for sure (and they still owe the Avs their 1st this year, which could be #1 oa), and now it seems likely Stone and Dzingel are gone too (and both supposedly wanted to stay). 

Poor Ottawa fans. 

(and they are down 4-0 to NJ)

Edited by BillsFan4

I’m sure Botterill and Housely are quite pleased with tonight’s game. It checked all their boxes for success: they gave effort, they were in it to the very end, and...well, that’s about it. 

Moral victories are for losers. 

• Like (+1) 1

Disappointing that they didn’t get 2pts but I can’t really be mad they lost to Tampa in a shootout. 

They played a good game tonight against far and away the best team in the NHL.

Definitely got pretty chippy. Emotions were running high. It honestly felt a bit like a playoff game in that regard. 

If you didn’t enjoy watching that game, it’s probably time to take a break from Sabres hockey. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I’m sure Botterill and Housely are quite pleased with tonight’s game. It checked all their boxes for success: they gave effort, they were in it to the very end, and...well, that’s about it. 

What's to complain about? They played a cup contending and loaded team as well as they could. They played hard and battled all the way through. What more can you ask for? Tampa has multiple potent scorers while we don't. This is a game where Housley and the GM should be pleased because as you described it checked all the boxes. It's understandable that when a team doesn't play well that it deserves criticism. But when it plays to its abilities then it should be acknowledged. 

Hutton was our best player and kept us in the game. The Sabres played a tight game all the way through with few breakdowns. I was more than pleased with how the Sabres played against a very superior team. . 

18 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What's to complain about? They played a cup contending and loaded team as well as they could. They played hard and battled all the way through. What more can you ask for? Tampa has multiple potent scorers while we don't. This is a game where Housley and the GM should be pleased because as you described it checked all the boxes. It's understandable that when a team doesn't play well that it deserves criticism. But when it plays to its abilities then it should be acknowledged. 

Hutton was our best player and kept us in the game. The Sabres played a tight game all the way through with few breakdowns. I was more than pleased with how the Sabres played against a very superior team. . 

Yep, they are pleased as punch, because they’ve established two low bar criteria for success:  playing hard and staying in it to the end; the BARE Fing minimum for expectations. 

And losing.

Again.

Continuing to confuse effort with results. 

Not what a winning organization should espouse. 

10 hours ago, K-9 said:

I thought they played well last night , I somewhat enjoyed the game. ( better had I not bet them to win) 

That being said, I think this is another indictment of Housley va the talent. We see they can play and beat good teams, play a good structured game, hard on the puck etc. why they only do that every 4th game or so I think is on the coach. 

OTOH, the posts were quite friendly to the Sabres last night. Could have been 4-1 Bolts. 

7 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I thought they played well last night , I somewhat enjoyed the game. ( better had I not bet them to win) 

That being said, I think this is another indictment of Housley va the talent. We see they can play and beat good teams, play a good structured game, hard on the puck etc. why they only do that every 4th game or so I think is on the coach. 

OTOH, the posts were quite friendly to the Sabres last night. Could have been 4-1 Bolts. 

Are you also going to blame Housley for climate change and your fired- up hemorrhoids? :)

The below link is a WGR interview with Ryan Kennedy from Hockey News. He talks about the Sabres and where they are in their development. He also talks about the free agent market and the trade deadline. I'm very much in align with his assessment of the Sabres and the course they are on.  This is a 12 minute segment.  

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/02-22-ryan-kennedy-hockey-news-jeremy-and-sal

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Alrighty ... what about bob and bread

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. It’ll definitely be interesting to see what happens. 

As of now, My guess is that they keeping both now and are all in on trying to make a deep playoff run. It makes sense. Jarmo has been slowly building thay team for a long time now and It’s likely their best shot at a deep playoff run for a while (if panarin and Bob are both gone). 

But man, if so they could be setting themselves up for a brutal offseason. If Panarin, Bob and now Duchene all walk for nothing in return, on top of giving up 2 pretty good prospects + not having a 1st in the draft this year... ouch. And imagine if they are eliminated in round 1, too. 

Edit - looks like they may be trying to load up, according to Dreger:

Edited by BillsFan4

6 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I also enjoyed the game, but it was not nearly as close as the scoreboard showed.  We were outshot by 10, thoroughly beaten at the face-off dot, and as you said TB hit 4 posts.  On top of that, Hutton played extremely well, on a level he normally can't play at.  So there was a lot artificially keeping things close in that one.  

If we were playing a 7 game series with them, we lose 4 straight easily.

I agree Housley should be accountable.  The team is highly inconsistent and the team that showed up last night shows up all too infrequently.  That is indeed on the HC.

It should be made clear to Phil that either he demonstrates that he can find a way to get the team playing on last night's TB level every game by year's end, or we will find someone else who can.

I think that's very fair.  Team is way, way too inconsistent and it loves to underachieve.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I also enjoyed the game, but it was not nearly as close as the scoreboard showed.  We were outshot by 10, thoroughly beaten at the face-off dot, and as you said TB hit 4 posts.  On top of that, Hutton played extremely well, on a level he normally can't play at.  So there was a lot artificially keeping things close in that one.  

If we were playing a 7 game series with them, we lose 4 straight easily.

I agree Housley should be accountable.  The team is highly inconsistent and the team that showed up last night shows up all too infrequently.  That is indeed on the HC.

It should be made clear to Phil that either he demonstrates that he can find a way to get the team playing on last night's TB level every game by year's end, or we will find someone else who can.

I think that's very fair.  Team is way, way too inconsistent and it loves to underachieve.

Agree entirely. 

But Housley won’t be held accountable for anything by his boss. Because he “communicates with the players” and they “give effort” and they are “in games until the end.” But most of all it’s because they are “progressing.” Not sure how being the third worst team in the league since the streak adds up to “progress”, but that’s where we are. Seems to me that the players have bought into the front office idea that losing is ok as long as they try hard. 

I’ll just leave it at this: if anyone in that locker room, ANYONE, was happy with last night’s game, they should be cut immediately. Players like Drury wouldn’t tolerate that for a second. The losing culture is deeply ingrained in this team. Confusing effort with results is a disease. 

• Like (+1) 1

The below link is a WGR interview with Matt Larkin of The Hockey News. It is 22 min. long. He talks about the Sabres and his view on them and where they are at. His thinking about the team where it is at and heading is the same as mine. Larkin has some interesting thoughts on Risto and what he can bring in a trade. He also discusses prospective trade deals coming up with the upcoming trade deadline. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/2-22-matt-larkin-hockey-news-schopp-bulldog

9 hours ago, JohnC said:

The below link is a WGR interview with Matt Larkin of The Hockey News. It is 22 min. long. He talks about the Sabres and his view on them and where they are at. His thinking about the team where it is at and heading is the same as mine. Larkin has some interesting thoughts on Risto and what he can bring in a trade. He also discusses prospective trade deals coming up with the upcoming trade deadline. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/2-22-matt-larkin-hockey-news-schopp-bulldog

i am going to assume this guy said the Sabres are young, have to live mistakes, they are on the right path to make the playoffs..as all national guys do cause 

1) It's Buffalo, just be happy you have a team.

2) don't expect to compete with real teams for championships, your goal should be to compete with the mediocre teams for the last playoff spot

3) Don't look at the actual experience of the overall team and who is playing bad, just say they have youngsters and excuse the rest. 

4) Slurp the GM when he says any or all of these" we have a plan, its a process, build through the draft, not mortgage the future" cause they absolve current failures

5) don't question any of the coaches decsions not based on analytics..anlytics are just nerds who don't understand the game .

Oh whats that...several questioned ( including several on the site) the wisdom of punishing  and sitting your 2nd best young prospect on the team for making a few mistakes, despite  the analytics saying your team is much better with him on the ice, as not only a dumb move but could ruin the kid and make him play tentatively and tight moving forward. Oh whats that...he has been sent down? Yep, no could see that coming

But we are on pace to compete for 8th next year, maybe make the playoffs in 2021, add 1 of the 3 precious draft picks in 2022, and waste the ELCs of two #2 overall piucks and a one #1, #1!!!!! .

And oh let's forget shame STHs who sell their seats to visiting fans, have paying fans endure a  building interior that is bordering on untenable, and an absolutely piss poor game experience in terms of concessions waits, restroom cleanliness, prices etc. 

Edited by plenzmd1

45 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

i am going to assume this guy said the Sabres are young, have to live mistakes, they are on the right path to make the playoffs..as all national guys do cause 

1) It's Buffalo, just be happy you have a team.

2) don't expect to compete with real teams for championships, your goal should be to compete with the mediocre teams for the last playoff spot

3) Don't look at the actual experience of the overall team and who is playing bad, just say they have youngsters and excuse the rest. 

4) Slurp the GM when he says any or all of these" we have a plan, its a process, build through the draft, not mortgage the future" cause they absolve current failures

5) don't question any of the coaches decsions not based on analytics..anlytics are just nerds who don't understand the game .

Oh whats that...several questioned ( including several on the site) the wisdom of punishing  and sitting your 2nd best young prospect on the team for making a few mistakes, despite  the analytics saying your team is much better with him on the ice, as not only a dumb move but could ruin the kid and make him play tentatively and tight moving forward. Oh whats that...he has been sent down? Yep, no could see that coming

But we are on pace to compete for 8th next year, maybe make the playoffs in 2021, add 1 of the 3 precious draft picks in 2022, and waste the ELCs of two #2 overall piucks and a one #1, #1!!!!! .

And oh let's forget shame STHs who sell their seats to visiting fans, have paying fans endure a  building interior that is bordering on untenable, and an absolutely piss poor game experience in terms of concessions waits, restroom cleanliness, prices etc. 

The Sabres were the worst team in the league last year. Did you expect a Cup hoisting ceremony this year? When it gets to the point that you find both the team and the facility unpalatable it is time to take a break from the stressors in your life. I'm surprised you support the Bills because they are also in rebuilding mode. And not to be forgotten they play in an antiquated facility. Oh, I forgot, it's not about the game but about the pregame food and beverage at the raucous tailgates.  

34 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The Sabres were the worst team in the league last year. Did you expect a Cup hoisting ceremony this year? When it gets to the point that you find both the team and the facility unpalatable it is time to take a break from the stressors in your life. I'm surprised you support the Bills because they are also in rebuilding mode. And not to be forgotten they play in an antiquated facility. Oh, I forgot, it's not about the game but about the pregame food and beverage at the raucous tailgates.  

they weren't in last when Housley and JBotts took over...as a matter of fact the previous regime was fired cause they UNDERACIEVED with that same group. ...Sabres of JBOTS and Housley will prolly not even equal the two-year point total of Murray and Bylsma...and that was taking over  a last-place team on purpose., not like last year where they where where they were trying to win., had a veteran team with proven players...but you and the apologists give them a pass cause Housley coached em a last place finish...and somehow that is now the standard!

I would love my boss to say.." hey look Paul, the year before you came in we hit 70% of plan and fired the VP, for underperformance...you came in and last year you hit 10% of plan  with the same team. No worries, you made changes, and this year you will 15%!!!! 50% improvement over last year!, We and the investors and board  think you are doing a great job of helping us reach our goals

The Bills stadium in mind mind is an actuality in better shape than the hockey arena. 

Edited by plenzmd1

12 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

they weren't in last when Housley and JBotts took over...as a matter of fact the previous regime was fired cause they UNDERACIEVED with that same group. ...Sabres of JBOTS and Housley will prolly not even equal the two-year point total of Murray and Bylsma...and that was taking over  a last-place team on purpose., not like last year where they where where they were trying to win., had a veteran team with proven players...but you and the apologists give them a pass cause Housley coached em a last place finish...and somehow that is now the standard!

I would love my boss to say.." hey look Paul, the year before you came in we hit 70% of plan and fired the VP, for underperformance...you came in and last year you hit 10% of plan  with the same team. No worries, you made changes, and this year you will 15%!!!! 50% improvement over last year!, We and the investors and board  think you are doing a great job of helping us reach our goals

The Bills stadium in mind mind is an actuality in better shape than the hockey arena. 

We need 33 out of the remaining 44 points to equal Bylsma’s two year point total of 159.

A .750 clip (stifled laughter).

I’m gonna go out on a limb and predict Phil and the boys can’t do that. 

This is what scares the hell out of me..from ESPN article, asking what team "is the top sourse of anxiety as trade deadline approaches

Emily Kaplan, national NHL reporter: I have second-hand anxiety for Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen. Does any GM face greater pressure than him? The Blue Jackets' fan base has been patient, and Kekalainen has built this team the right way. But the truth is, Columbus has never been past the first round of the playoffs, and 2019 should be the year the Blue Jackets do it. And yet, two of the most talented players in franchise history are now looking for outs. He can't let them walk for nothing -- though the alternative might be gambling and holding onto them as the team's own "rentals." Kekalainen has had all season to prepare and has a reputation as a silent assassin. But there's a lot riding on the next three days for the future of his franchise. I'm rooting for things to fall into place for Columbus. His bold move to add Duchene is a great start.

I fear always playing for the future instead of expecting results today can get you in this position. The bolded I can see being the Sabres in 4 years

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/26054658/the-biggest-nhl-trade-deadline-questions-answered

BTW, to get off off this enless circular argument..

Who would ya want ...Skinner or Breadman? 

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

This is what scares the hell out of me..from ESPN article, asking what team "is the top sourse of anxiety as trade deadline approaches

I fear always playing for the future instead of expecting results today can get you in this position. The bolded I can see being the Sabres in 4 years

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/26054658/the-biggest-nhl-trade-deadline-questions-answered

BTW, to get off off this enless circular argument..

Who would ya want ...Skinner or Breadman? 

Love Skinner, but I’d rather have Panarin for his better playmaking ability. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. It’ll definitely be interesting to see what happens. 

As of now, My guess is that they keeping both now and are all in on trying to make a deep playoff run. It makes sense. Jarmo has been slowly building thay team for a long time now and It’s likely their best shot at a deep playoff run for a while (if panarin and Bob are both gone). 

But man, if so they could be setting themselves up for a brutal offseason. If Panarin, Bob and now Duchene all walk for nothing in return, on top of giving up 2 pretty good prospects + not having a 1st in the draft this year... ouch. And imagine if they are eliminated in round 1, too. 

Edit - looks like they may be trying to load up, according to Dreger:

Yup. Zero percent panarin signs and duchene is far from a sure thing. I assume they are planning to just pay duchene instead of Panarin now. But he has to be willing. I think they are simply just desperate for Center help and desperate to win a playoff series. They haven’t managed to in the almost 20 years of the franchise’s history. I’m still not convinced they will. Watch them get matched up with the lightning in the 1st rd. If they even make the playoffs that is. The prospects they gave up aren’t throwaways either. They are good prospects. Then there is a 1st rounder whether duchene signs or not, plus another 1st rounder if he does. 

• Like (+1) 1

Can’t help but wonder how the injury impacts Skinner’s future. 

Honestly surprised they didn’t go after the guy who tripped him. Maybe thy didn’t see it or find it to be dirty. Either way, I like a team that will throw down for their best player when he is in pain on the ice after an apparent trip.