Daniel Jeremiah Mock Draft 1.0 - Bills take OT Jawaan Taylor; 2.0 WR DK Metcalf

YoloinOhio

8 hours ago, purple haze said:

Our offensive line won't be the same line though. 

Even with a reconstituted line I would like to have a hard between the tackles once cut runner (young Ivory). That's not a running style that McCoy is best suited for.  I rather get two hard yards in a tight seam than a five yard loss with him scampering around looking for a cease that doesn't exist. 

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This QB class sort of reminds me of 2017. There is no consensus top QB but there will probably be 3 taken in the first 15 picks. If any team could trade down with a QB needy team it would be us. It's unlikely anyone will jump the Giants with this particular class, and Denver picking at 10 may go for a QB. So we are in a perfect spot for trade ups. I could see us trading down with Washington, LA Chargers, Bengals, or Titans. Or maybe we just trade 1 spot with Denver like the Bears did to get Trubisky in 2017. Even better if multiple teams are competing for our pick.

As with anything else this is dependent on teams actually wanting one of the remaining QBs when we pick, but assuming 2 are gone to NY and Jacksonville there may be a run to get a viable QB prospect before the top guys are gone.

If we do not trade down I'll be surprised if our pick isn't anything but d-line. This is being called the best d-line class in a long time, which means players that would normally go top 5 will still be available at pick 9. Beane will stick to BPA so if he sees a top 5 d-line player available he isn't going to pass him up. Luckily for us most of these top players are pass rushers which is a big need.

In your response you didn't mention that there will be free agent qbs added to the mix for qb needy teams to acquire. Foles, Flacco and I believe Bridgewater will be on the market. It doesn't make much sense for a team such as Jacksonville to use a first round pick on a qb instead of getting an experienced qb from the market because they have a roster when healthy that is ready to compete. 

I agree with you that the betting line should lean toward the Bills drafting one of the enticing D-linemen because of the inclinations of our HC. Although I have preferences as to how the Bills should approach this draft if the Bills don't get too fancy and out-smart themselves and select talent commensurate to where they are drafted I will be more than happy. 

The Bills are entering their third draft under McDermott. In my opinion they are not far off from attaining the critical mass of players to rebuild/rework the roster that was inherited. Getting the qb sooner in the tenure of this new regime certainly allows for greater flexibility when making personnel decisions.

You mentioned that the Bills could end up trading down with Tennessee. That leaves me very perplexed. I know the often injured Mariotta hasn't lived up to expectations but I just don't see them moving away from him just yet.  

If the Bills can get an OT, RG, and C in Free Agency and re-signing Jordan Phillips, would you be opposed to them taking Hakeem Butler (WR) at 9, and then trading back into the 1st for Jacobs (RB) or Hockenson (TE)?  They all seem to be guys that could help improve the O.  The defensive draft is deep on D, so that could get quality D prosepects later in the draft.

He has Taylor 13th

RANK

Jawaan Taylor, OT
Taylor-Jawaan.jpg

School: Florida | Year: Junior 
Taylor lined up at right tackle for the Gators. He has average height and a broad frame for the position. In the passing game, he has the foot quickness to cover up speed rushers and the athleticism to redirect versus counter moves. He has a bad habit of scooping instead of punching, which allows defenders to get into his chest. However, he is still sturdy versus power rushers despite giving up his chest. In the run game, he has tremendous upper-body strength to torque and toss defenders. He's nasty. Some teams will prefer his power inside at the guard position, but I see him as a quality starting right tackle.

Andre Dillard is only OL ranked above him, at 12

Edited by YoloinOhio

From https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-draft-2019-prospects-at-each-position-who-improved-their-stock-the-most-this-season/

Jawaan Taylor, Florida

Montez Ivy was the Florida offensive line prospect to watch this season -- heck, that was the case a year ago too -- but Taylor's dominance on the right side in 2018 has made him the hotter commodity. The 6-5, 328-pound junior is what I'd classify as a "power blocker," but he showcased smooth footwork and centered balance all season for the Gators. He almost looks like a talented power forward in basketball on the edge. Check his battle against Kentucky's Josh Allen from early in the 2018 season. Heavyweight bout. Taylor can lose the inside on occasion but is a brick wall against any type of bull-rush attempt, and his feet make him extraordinarily difficult to beat to the outside. He's heavy-handed too.

He sounds like could be a good RT or OG which we need help with. 

Edited by The Jokeman

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, Putin said:

As a 30 year die hard FSU fan I hate the Gators, but I believe Jawaan Taylor is the best T in the draft 

I think I am all in on Jawaan Taylor for the draft. He has a good chance to be an all pro RT.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s been probably the most frequently mocked player to the Bills from what I’ve seen 

The only one I don't want to see who has been mocked often is Metcalf.  I'd prefer Hockenson before any of the WRs.

8 minutes ago, billspro said:

I think I am all in on Jawaan Taylor for the draft. He has a good chance to be an all pro RT.

I believe that as well  , he will be a pro bowler for many years , I think if we sign at least one starting caliber OL in the free agency we might go DL at 9 ( if we don’t trade down )

i think 2nd round we take OL and will  move up to grab a WR , 

I think the value and the need is  there ,  there were few games last year were we couldn’t stop the run ( Jacksonville being of them ) when we all knew it’s coming and we couldn’t do anything , I know offense needs to be our main priority BUT  cant win many games if you can’t stop the run , 

of course it all depends what happens in the free agency but just like the WR position DL will have to be addressed in the draft as well ,