Daniel Jeremiah Mock Draft 1.0 - Bills take OT Jawaan Taylor; 2.0 WR DK Metcalf

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I actually like Taylor better than Williams. But I still think that's a bit of a reach. I still think our best bet is trade down to the teens with a team that needs a QB. If we take Taylor at 15 I would accept that.

Biggest surprise in this mock is Josh Jacobs at 5. I think he will go higher than most people expect though.

The trade down strategy is tough to execute because there are so many teams that have the same desire to do the same. What makes it even more difficult this year compared to last year is that this draft doesn't have the same amount of highly rated qbs. For some teams that want a qb they can stand pat and still get the one they prefer. 

I would not mind trading down and getting an offensive lineman. Many people here prefer procuring offensive linemen through free agency. But the problem is that of the available players there will be a lot of buyers competing for their services. And it wouldn't be surprising some of the more appealing players stay with the team they are already on. 

I would love to come out of this draft or even free agency with a tough inside runner to get the ground game going. I just don't see McCoy's dancing style of running trying to find a hole being effective with our OL. On the other hand I would like to see him more involved in the passing game. 

• Like (+1) 1

There are no consensus top 10 offensive linemen.  Daniel Jeremiah is not alone in rating Jawaasn Taylor as the top one.  Supposedly he's got good feet despite having a projected 40 time a little slower than the guys that are more popular (Jonah Williams and Greg Little.  He doesn't have ideal tackle height (only 6'5" and not 6'6" or 6'7")  He is massive though.  Kind of reminds me of Cordy Glenn coming out of college.   Who's to say if Daniel Jeremiah is not right?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

No and no. The earliest I've seen Jacobs mocked before this is in the mid 20's. Hockenson definitely has some fans but for the most part, he usually goes in like the 25-40 range.

For what it's worth, I think Charlie Campbell had Taylor going #5 in his latest mock. Him being in the top 10 is an outlier opinion right now but it's not really crazy.

It’s early though. The first round will change a lot over the next couple months. Jeremiah is a good analyst, he might just be ahead of the curve.

1 hour ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

8. Hockenson? Little early but he’s my pick. Trade down with Washington and grab him at 15.

OJ went 19. 

He seems like a very safe pick. We have never had a TE with his talent level. I like the round 2 OTs as much as the round one OTs. If we could trade down and acquire an additional 2nd and Hockenson that would be the ideal draft. 

Hockenson round 1, Cajuste round 2, and the Stanford WR in round 2 would be a perfect draft. 

Edited by billspro

11 minutes ago, billspro said:

He seems like a very safe pick. We have never had a TE with his talent level. I like the round 2 OTs as much as the round one OTs. If we could trade down and acquire an additional 2nd and Hockenson that would be the ideal draft. 

Hockenson round 1, Cajuste round 2, and the Stanford WR in round 2 would be a perfect draft. 

A talented TE would be a great fit for this offense and Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

The trade down strategy is tough to execute because there are so many teams that have the same desire to do the same. What makes it even more difficult this year compared to last year is that this draft doesn't have the same amount of highly rated qbs.

This QB class sort of reminds me of 2017. There is no consensus top QB but there will probably be 3 taken in the first 15 picks. If any team could trade down with a QB needy team it would be us. It's unlikely anyone will jump the Giants with this particular class, and Denver picking at 10 may go for a QB. So we are in a perfect spot for trade ups. I could see us trading down with Washington, LA Chargers, Bengals, or Titans. Or maybe we just trade 1 spot with Denver like the Bears did to get Trubisky in 2017. Even better if multiple teams are competing for our pick.

As with anything else this is dependent on teams actually wanting one of the remaining QBs when we pick, but assuming 2 are gone to NY and Jacksonville there may be a run to get a viable QB prospect before the top guys are gone.

If we do not trade down I'll be surprised if our pick isn't anything but d-line. This is being called the best d-line class in a long time, which means players that would normally go top 5 will still be available at pick 9. Beane will stick to BPA so if he sees a top 5 d-line player available he isn't going to pass him up. Luckily for us most of these top players are pass rushers which is a big need.

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

The trade down strategy is tough to execute because there are so many teams that have the same desire to do the same. What makes it even more difficult this year compared to last year is that this draft doesn't have the same amount of highly rated qbs. For some teams that want a qb they can stand pat and still get the one they prefer. 

I would not mind trading down and getting an offensive lineman. Many people here prefer procuring offensive linemen through free agency. But the problem is that of the available players there will be a lot of buyers competing for their services. And it wouldn't be surprising some of the more appealing players stay with the team they are already on. 

I would love to come out of this draft or even free agency with a tough inside runner to get the ground game going. I just don't see McCoy's dancing style of running trying to find a hole being effective with our OL. On the other hand I would like to see him more involved in the passing game. 

Our offensive line won't be the same line though. 

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

With Mayock stepping out of the ring, Jeremiah is, in my opinion, the best draft analyst. Check out his podcast. If you can manage to stomach Bucky Brooks (who is growing on me a bit) you’ll love it. 

I don't know if Bucky's mock draft is independent from Jeremiahs' but he has us taking the same player, Jawaan Taylor OT

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

It’s one of the worst mocks I’ve ever seen lol

Jeremiah has better credentials than almost any other mock drafter you'll see on the internet, having been an NFL scout.  At this point, it is fair to say he's unconventional, but until the draft happens and you can go back and grade his picks, it's probably premature to call it one of the worst.  What I don't like are mock drafters who fail to do their homework on what is actually going on with teams.  They make their picks with very shallow understandings of the state of teams, and sometimes complete misconceptions.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

Jeremiah has better credentials than almost any other mock drafter you'll see on the internet, having been an NFL scout.  At this point, it is fair to say he's unconventional, but until the draft happens and you can go back and grade his picks, it's probably premature to call it one of the worst.  What I don't like are mock drafters who fail to do their homework on what is actually going on with teams.  They make their picks with very shallow understandings of the state of teams, and sometimes complete misconceptions.

I like DJ. He’s one of the best in the game but this is a bad, bad mock. Not that it matters. We’re going to get 327483 more before the Draft comes.

Joshua Jacobs and TJ Hockenson in the Top 10 is just flat out crazy. Again not that it matters. None of these things do.

13 hours ago, matter2003 said:

They will...these mock drafts are just stupid at this point of the year..literally meaningless

Why are they stupid? What do you want these people to speculate about in January? There’s not much else going on this weekend  for fans of the other 28 teams. I’d rather look at a Mock Draft than read about Tommy Boys dietary practices. 

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Why are they stupid? What do you want these people to speculate about in January? There’s not much else going on this weekend  for fans of the other 28 teams. I’d rather look at a Mock Draft than read about Tommy Boys dietary practices. 

...EXACTLY....I'd bet McBeane already has sketched 147 mock drafts so far......