William Barr Confirmation Hearing Thread

Tiberius

Barr and Mueller first crossed paths at the Justice Department during the George H.W. Bush administration. But the relationship goes farther: Their wives are close friends who attend bible study together, and Mueller attended the weddings for two of Barr’s daughters.

“They have a high level of respect for each other,” said Paul McNulty, a former senior DOJ official who led the department’s policy and communications shop while Barr was attorney general and Mueller served as the head of its criminal division. “They have maintained a good friendship ever since.”

During his Senate confirmation hearing, Barr praised Mueller’s “distinguished record of public service” and said that his probe is proper and should be allowed to conclude without interference. That’s a sharp contrast from the acting attorney general Barr would replace, Matthew Whitaker, who has called Mueller’s appointment “ridiculous and “a little fishy,” among other things.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/15/trump-russia-mueller-barr-friends-1102244

2 minutes ago, Foxx said:

right because.... Whitaker stopped Mueller's investigation.

10972830_t.gif

Tommy Boy Whittaker couldn't stop a fat man running up hill 

From the politico story: 

Senators on the judiciary panel also pressed Barr for more details about the famously tight-lipped Mueller. Would Barr describe the special counsel as a fair-minded person, Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham asked? 

“Absolutely,” Barr replied.

Graham followed up by asking Barr if he expected Mueller to be fair to Trump and the country? “Yes,” said the nominee.

Invoking one of Trump’s favorite epithets about the Russia probe, the South Carolina senator asked Barr whether he believes Mueller “would be involved in a witch hunt against anybody.”

“I don’t believe Mr. Mueller would be involved in a witch hunt,” he replied.

Not a witch hunt. No witch hunt! 

Stuck driving all day, I listened to about 85% of the hearings (so no facial expressions). From what I gathered, this guy must be pretty connected in Washington (good and bad thing) - heck where his daughters all work are connections enough. ?

From the questioning, there were only a few idiots - Sheldon Whitehouse (D, RI) and Mazie Hirono  (D, HI) being the two that stood out as particularly stupid.

They all wanted him to "commit" to something or another (both the Ds and Rs). 

I didn't hear many "gotchyas" because it quickly became evident that it was unlikely anyone was gonna "get" Barr. He'd been there, done this, and was not intimidated. I'd definitely agree he has gravitas.  He did get a number of Senators to agree with him that they needed to start doing their stinkin' jobs regarding passing laws (pot was one). 

If this was honest times instead of political grandstanding-times, he'd again be confirmed unanimously. 

Will he be a good AG? No idea, but he's definitely not in it for the glory. 

• Like (+1) 2

Cory Booker went up a notch in my book demonstrating, almost educating Barr, on the serious consequences and destructive nature of mass incarcerations of people of color. Barr knee capped another Trump talking point, inadvertently, but thoroughly, by talking about how crime has come way down from the nineties. Nice to see he said he would meet enthusiastically with Booker to talk through the issue. 

6 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Cory Booker went up a notch in my book demonstrating, almost educating Barr, on the serious consequences and destructive nature of mass incarcerations of people of color. Barr knee capped another Trump talking point, inadvertently, but thoroughly, by talking about how crime has come way down from the nineties. Nice to see he said he would meet enthusiastically with Booker to talk through the issue. 

lol! i would offer that Barr knows way more about the law and the realities on the ground than Booker does, or ever will for that matter.

educating Barr.... lmao

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 

Oh, wait...you're serious?

Because their base would string them up.

She is a thorough clown.

She takes herself very seriously and loves to hear herself talk in these settings.

29 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Trump talking point?  He just signed the First Step Act.  You might have missed it though as leftist media barely covered the bi-partisan effort supported by Democrats. 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/dec/21/trump-prison-reform-first-step-act-signed-law

Edited by keepthefaith
  • Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Boy that headline is misleading (shocker).

"We either should have a federal law that prohibits marijuana everywhere, which I would support myself. Because I think that it’s a mistake to back off on marijuana. However, if we [don’t] want a federal approach, if we want states to have their own laws, then let’s get there and let’s get there the right way,” Barr told Booker.

He was questioned many times about this, and his basic summation was - we won't use DOJ resources to go after people complying with state laws. However, do your stinkin' jobs and legislate.  Something about these competing laws being disrespectful  (it was the end of a sentence to K Harris, so I may have missed the exact working and might be paraphrasing).

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Foxx said:

lol! i would offer that Barr knows way more about the law and the realities on the ground than Booker does, or ever will for that matter.

educating Barr.... lmao

But Booker has something Barr doesn't...

15 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Here's video, but it's a live stream so I can't make it start right when Dick starts. If you go backwards, he's right after Sasse, about 14 minutes back: 

His hands are shaking like a crack addict. He has the complexion of a corpse. How he ever was elected to the Senate still baffles me. 

• Like (+1) 1

But why would Barr come out of retirement, instead of spending “cherished time” with grandchildren, to take a job he already had — only to become a villain for covering up Mueller’s findings?

“You seem like a rational person,” Sen. Richard J. Durbin (D-Ill.) told Barr. “Why do you want this job?”

Indeed, he’s joining a president famous for chewing up once-respected figures and sending them packing in disgrace and humiliation. Trump reportedly referred to Sessions as “Mr. Magoo” and “mentally retarded” and demeaned him publicly.

Barr’s answer to Durbin should have sent chills down the presidential spine as he munched on leftover Big Macs at the White House.

The rule of law, Barr said, “is the heartbeat of this country,” and he vowed to “protect the independence and the reputation of the department.” Trump’s treatment of subordinates “might give me pause if I was 45 or 50 years old, but it doesn’t give me pause right now,” Barr continued. He added, “I will not be bullied into doing anything I think is wrong.”

Barr spent decades building his reputation. Why would he throw it away now by becoming the guy who buried the Mueller report?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/why-would-william-barr-take-this-job-the-answer-should-alarm-trump/2019/01/15/be6966ba-190d-11e9-8813-cb9dec761e73_story.html?utm_term=.fc6471828a9e

Sen. Kamala Harris, California Democrat, said Thursday she will not vote for William Barr, President Trump’s nominee for attorney general. Ms. Harris, a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, is the first prominent Democrat to officially announce her intent to vote against Mr. Barr.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, B-Man said:

Sen. Kamala Harris, California Democrat, said Thursday she will not vote for William Barr, President Trump’s nominee for attorney general. Ms. Harris, a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, is the first prominent Democrat to officially announce her intent to vote against Mr. Barr.

th?id=OIP.kVSdNtstH_X17gPJI9khggAAAA&pid

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, B-Man said:

Was it because of some bull#### about recusal, or because he refused to deny he was a sexual predator at one point in his past.

• 2 weeks later...

freakin' snoflakes.

Senate panel postpones William Barr vote amid Democrats’ concerns

The Senate Judiciary Committee on Tuesday postponed a vote on attorney general nominee William Barr amid concerns by Democrats that he might not make public a final report on special counsel Robert Mueller’s Russia probe.

GOP Sen. Lindsey Graham, who oversees the panel, announced that the vote to send Barr to the full Senate for a confirmation vote would be delayed, along with other nominees being considered by the committee.

The vote will now take place on Feb. 5, according to a Democratic aide.

The delay, which is not unusual, is not expected to affect Barr’s confirmation ...

• 2 weeks later...