Can't teach accuracy? Cam Newton interesting case study...

Big Turk

On 1/3/2019 at 1:36 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Cam Newton is also a cocky SOB who comfortably presented himself as Superman from the get-go.

Josh Allen is all about how he can work to get better.

No comparison on who is likely to improve more.

Haha.  Yeah, the guy who won a Heisman, won 2 championships in college, set rookie passing records, won a MVP with Ted Ginn as his number 1 receiver isn’t that good.  

Allen finished up strong but you might want to review both players’ rookie years.  It’s nit even a slight against Allen.  It’s just painful how much fans here don’t realize how special of a player Newton.

and yup, Newton is a little cocky.  Allen is too and I imagine if he had Cam’s resume, he’d be pretty sure of himself too. 

Reading comprehension FAIL - better luck next time.

I asserted Allen is 'more likely to improve" - you've done zero to challenge that.

On 1/3/2019 at 1:24 PM, BobChalmers said:

Cam Newton is also a cocky SOB who comfortably presented himself as Superman from the get-go.

Josh Allen is all about how he can work to get better.

No comparison on who is likely to improve more.

The racist undertones of this post are staggering 

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 1:11 PM, matter2003 said:

Cam Newton has a career completion percentage of 59.7%...prior to this season he had 2 years with at or above a 60% completion percentage, with a high of 61.7% and the other exactly at 60%.  This year he well exceeded this at 67.9%.

So what is going on? Did he just learn how to be more accurate? Or was he just making easier throws to McCaffery more often leading to higher completion rates?

Bingo.

Every team needs a McCaffery/Edelman type who will catch everything tossed their way over the middle.

It's too bad that Cam has acted in ways that are regrettable. I think his stupid comments at times are the reason why people give him crap for antics. During the superbowl he handled defeat better than Brady did against the Eagles. (Brady wouldn't shake Foles hand vs Cam who owns up to his pettiness and congratulates Peyton) but since Brady doesn't say cringy things like, "It's funny to hear you talk about routes" most ignore him more than Cam.

Cam does a lot of good things. My opinion of Cam is that he's kind of like a big kid who means well, but often times messes up. It's not like Josh doesn't have some actions he still being scrutinized for. Not by us, mind you. It's interesting how it seemed that he was the only rookie QB other players specifically seemed to dislike. (Adams, Ramsey, etc..)

Edited by Reader

22 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Allen completed 65% of his throws to cap the season off against Miami. Only difference between that game and the rest of the season is Allen decisively checked the ball off consistently instead of trying to hit a homerun every play. I think if you add a true pass catching RB and an OL on top of that Allen's completion % would jump above 60% easily.

Lets not forget the Bills has the 2nd most drops this year and I'm sure it was more than 23....Josh will improve each year as will his OL, WRS and TE'S....and he'll never stop throwing the deep ball.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Oh, ferchissake. What do you want him to do? ...Get on his knees, like that mama's boy, Tim Tebow?

No way. One of the things I like about Allen is his cockiness. He's obviously a **** talker on the field despite his choir boy persona.

Defense's hate this kid and that's a good thing. Just odd that some guys get praise for brashness while others get scorn.

On 1/3/2019 at 1:11 PM, matter2003 said:

Cam Newton has a career completion percentage of 59.7%...prior to this season he had 2 years with at or above a 60% completion percentage, with a high of 61.7% and the other exactly at 60%.  This year he well exceeded this at 67.9%.

So what is going on? Did he just learn how to be more accurate? Or was he just making easier throws to McCaffery more often leading to higher completion rates?

I watched a few Panthers games down the stretch and I think you hit on it in the last sentence.

Christian McCaffery is a talented player, but The offense relied on him so much that the net effect is he hurts the Panthers. Combined with Cam’s bum shoulder as the year went on, the Panthers offense went less and less vertical. Always checking down to the safe McCaffery throw. The ball was constantly in his hands and there was less play mix. 

I think the Panthers offense became simple to defend because every team knew that a checkdown was coming and that the WRs were not going to get the ball. Blitz Cam, he’ll checkdown, then tackle.