Why the Bills should try to sign Preston Brown in 2019.

I know some people will not be on board with this idea, that I know people will be against it but give it some though.  I love the idea of the Bills re-signing Preston Brown to a 1 year deal.

Brown will be a FA with Cincinnati after signing a 1 year deal worth only $4M.   He is coming off season ending knee surgery but previously he played just about every game as a starting LB in Buffalo.

Brown didn’t really get the attention in the open market which is why he signed a “prove it” deal.  He’ll likely have to do the same next year and the Bills would be wise to offer a deal around or just under a few million.

Brown was a good starter for McDermott’s defense.  He was willing to lose significant weight to become more mobile and less of a “thumper.”  He was not always the best in coverage but was good enough in most cases.  

I would sign Brown as a dependable backup at MLB.  Keep in mind, a player like Edmunds has struggled all year long and struggled mightily yesterday against the run and pass.  Brown would give the Bills insurance in those situations, he’d also be compentent enough at MLB to consider moving Edmunds to OLB if necessary.   And he could play in the Nickel packages as well.  The signing really gives the 

Bills a lot of flexibility.  

The other reason why I love the Brown signing is because he is everything at MLB that Edmunds is not... at least not yet.  Brown was a pretty good run stuffer between the tackles.  He’d take on blockers and get off blocks to make tackles.  He read his keys, filled his lanes and didn’t shy away from contact.  You didn’t see him get lost in coverage much because of mental errors.  Edmunds isn’t at this point yet and yesterday was a prime example.  

What Edmunds has that Brown never had or never will is some freakish athletic skills which will be perfect in pass defense.  Imagine if part of Brown’s role was to be a “Derek Anderson” for Edmunds?  He definitely could learn from Brown.  

I would feel pretty good with this move.  

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

As a backup that would be ok. He wasn’t good in Cincy. I felt bad for him because after not being injury prone at all in Buffalo, he got hurt while on a small one year deal. 

Yep in this scenario he’d be signed for depth.  Still if feel much more confident in Brown at MLB than Julian stanford 

2 minutes ago, Rico said:

Another Whaley gem.

Look at Edmunds stats.... then look at Brown’s in 2017.  Enough said

2 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

He burned his bridges down on the way out.

This.. 

Lets not forget when looking at the all “precious” numbers so many seem obsessed with how many tackles brown made after the ball carrier already had 4-5 yards before he could get there. 

The Brown we screwed up not resigning in my opinion was Zac brown in Washington. 

Imagine the speed with him Milano and Edmonds. 

Anyways I would pass on Preston. He obviously didn’t like buffalo much 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

He burned his bridges down on the way out.

Explain how he did this?

Also, remember I’m advocating signing him as a depth MLB.  Like I said, I think he is an improvement over Standford even with his injury recovery.

Edited by BillyWhiteShows

Just now, BillyWhiteShows said:

Explain how he did this?

I don't remember it word for word but he essentially said he'd rather play for the Patriots. Only problem is he wasn't good enough to crack their roster. Brown is a big slow LB coming off a knee injury, no thx. I'm definitely onboard with drafting one very high though.

3 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I don't remember it word for word but he essentially said he'd rather play for the Patriots. Only problem is he wasn't good enough to crack their roster. Brown is a big slow LB coming off a knee injury, no thx. I'm definitely onboard with drafting one very high though.

You make it sound like he’s a Brandon Spikes type LB.  He’s certainly not blazing fast but he’s adequate enough to be a backup LB.  

Also, slow or not - Brown is much better against the run than Edmunds has been.  

Let me ask you this - are you more comfortable with Julian Stanford than Preston Brown?  Remember this idea is based on the premise that he would be a backup, not a starter.

Just now, Rico said:

This is the NFL, not baseball.

Ok well either way - Brown was more productive in the same defense than Edmunds.  Does Edmunds have better skills and athleticism?  Absolutely, but there is no guarantee he’ll ever reach his potential

9 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I think this is what you were referring to.  He was angling to play for New England.  It’s pretty sad, but he didn’t really say anything negative about the Bills.

Also laughable how he was talking about getting paid $8M A season.  He got half that on a 1 year deal

https://www.bostonherald.com/2018/02/28/lb-preston-brown-open-to-being-next-bills-player-to-leave-for-patriots/

3 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

You make it sound like he’s a Brandon Spikes type LB.  He’s certainly not blazing fast but he’s adequate enough to be a backup LB.  

Also, slow or not - Brown is much better against the run than Edmunds has been.  

Let me ask you this - are you more comfortable with Julian Stanford than Preston Brown?  Remember this idea is based on the premise that he would be a backup, not a starter.

I'm ok with Stanford as a backup. Need to draft somebody, it's definitely a glaring weakness. I think Brown would provide a false sense of security, he is a backup in this league.

2 minutes ago, White Linen said:

We don't have enough impact players on defense.  He isn't one, so I'm not interested. 

Again, we’re talking about a veteran depth player with proven experience in the role.  You can’t have an entire roster of impact players. 

Just now, NewDayBills said:

I'm ok with Stanford as a backup. Need to draft somebody, it's definitely a glaring weakness. I think Brown would provide a false sense of security, he is a backup in this league.

Exactly!  That’s why they should sign him as a backup!!!!!

1 minute ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

I think this is what you were referring to.  He was angling to play for New England.  It’s pretty sad, but he didn’t really say anything negative about the Bills.

Also laughable how he was talking about getting paid $8M A season.  He got half that on a 1 year deal

https://www.bostonherald.com/2018/02/28/lb-preston-brown-open-to-being-next-bills-player-to-leave-for-patriots/

Yep. No way in hell I want him back if I'm Terry.