Why the Bills should try to sign Preston Brown in 2019.

3 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Correct, but PB is still a better MLB than Edmunds sad to say.

PB's brain in Edmunds' body is a HoFer.

You know, I never posted about it so I can't own it now, but I was very surprised they moved him to MLB. We'll see what happens next year.

Did he suddenly learn how to cover running backs and tight ends in the pass game? I'll pass on a guy who couldn't cover in the pass game and is now coming off of knee surgery. Edmunds needs to work on his technique against the run no doubt, but I'll place my bet on a 20-year old athletic freak to learn some nuances and techniques to be a better player than a slow linebacker, coming off knee surgery to suddenly learn how to get fast.

44 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Explain how he did this?

Also, remember I’m advocating signing him as a depth MLB.  Like I said, I think he is an improvement over Standford even with his injury recovery.

Why would he sign here to be MLB depth? Please explain

49 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

This.. 

Lets not forget when looking at the all “precious” numbers so many seem obsessed with how many tackles brown made after the ball carrier already had 4-5 yards before he could get there. 

The Brown we screwed up not resigning in my opinion was Zac brown in Washington. 

Imagine the speed with him Milano and Edmonds. 

Anyways I would pass on Preston. He obviously didn’t like buffalo much 

You'll see in this DEFENSE that stat will always be the telltale complaint..our defense doesn't ask our lbrs to be agressive and play downhill..our lbrs and even dlinemen are asked to drop back into zones and rely on pre snap movement and shifts to "confuse" the offense..problem being is our dline gets no push to get after the QB or crash the running lanes consistently..now when the opposing oline picks up our dline the QB has time to find the soft underbelly in the zones or the rb slips a tackle or finds the lane then our lbrs,corners, safety's are in zones off from the Los leaving the rb 5-6 yards before contact....it's a recipe for disaster 

in reply  to the first comment...wow!!!!

Brown was an undersized linebacker who was horrible in pass coverage. Couldn't get off blocks and had zero interest in stuffing the run. He played MLB on a terrible defense that coudnt stop anyone you going to rack up a ton of tackles while they march the ball down your throat.

Edmunds is 20 he'll be much much better next year.....stay away from Brown- like everyone else this season. Why didnt he have any interest - well he stinks

1 hour ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

I know some people will not be on board with this idea, that I know people will be against it but give it some though.  I love the idea of the Bills re-signing Preston Brown to a 1 year deal.

Brown will be a FA with Cincinnati after signing a 1 year deal worth only $4M.   He is coming off season ending knee surgery but previously he played just about every game as a starting LB in Buffalo.

Brown didn’t really get the attention in the open market which is why he signed a “prove it” deal.  He’ll likely have to do the same next year and the Bills would be wise to offer a deal around or just under a few million.

Brown was a good starter for McDermott’s defense.  He was willing to lose significant weight to become more mobile and less of a “thumper.”  He was not always the best in coverage but was good enough in most cases.  

I would sign Brown as a dependable backup at MLB.  Keep in mind, a player like Edmunds has struggled all year long and struggled mightily yesterday against the run and pass.  Brown would give the Bills insurance in those situations, he’d also be compentent enough at MLB to consider moving Edmunds to OLB if necessary.   And he could play in the Nickel packages as well.  The signing really gives the 

Bills a lot of flexibility.  

The other reason why I love the Brown signing is because he is everything at MLB that Edmunds is not... at least not yet.  Brown was a pretty good run stuffer between the tackles.  He’d take on blockers and get off blocks to make tackles.  He read his keys, filled his lanes and didn’t shy away from contact.  You didn’t see him get lost in coverage much because of mental errors.  Edmunds isn’t at this point yet and yesterday was a prime example.  

What Edmunds has that Brown never had or never will is some freakish athletic skills which will be perfect in pass defense.  Imagine if part of Brown’s role was to be a “Derek Anderson” for Edmunds?  He definitely could learn from Brown.  

I would feel pretty good with this move.  

I actually think we are better against the run with Edmunds

People are having a hard time coming to grips with the new NFL.

Coverage LBers are better than thumpers. Fact.

The Patriots damned near ran the ball for almost 300 yards against us and scored a measly 24 points.

I’ll take that every day of the week.

Stop the pass. End of story.

4 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

You'll see in this DEFENSE that stat will always be the telltale complaint..our defense doesn't ask our lbrs to be agressive and play downhill..our lbrs and even dlinemen are asked to drop back into zones and rely on pre snap movement and shifts to "confuse" the offense..problem being is our dline gets no push to get after the QB or crash the running lanes consistently..now when the opposing oline picks up our dline the QB has time to find the soft underbelly in the zones or the rb slips a tackle or finds the lane then our lbrs,corners, safety's are in zones off from the Los leaving the rb 5-6 yards before contact....it's a recipe for disaster 

Yup as evidenced by our #1 pass D.

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

This.. 

Lets not forget when looking at the all “precious” numbers so many seem obsessed with how many tackles brown made after the ball carrier already had 4-5 yards before he could get there. 

The Brown we screwed up not resigning in my opinion was Zac brown in Washington. 

Imagine the speed with him Milano and Edmonds. 

Anyways I would pass on Preston. He obviously didn’t like buffalo much 

This.  I thought we should have kept Zach, and he was signed cheap

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Yup as evidenced by our #1 pass D.

As evidenced by our dead last field position....we have gave the opposing team great field position the entire year sans a few games...that's a skewed stat imo.....ppg sacks tfl all matter more ...we haven't gave up a ton of yards but we've given up points..some of that falls on an inept offense butlets not act like we haven't watched QBs sit back in the pocket with tons of time or rbs gashing us all game long with not an answer to it ..#1 defense don't give that up...

2 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

I know some people will not be on board with this idea, that I know people will be against it but give it some though.  I love the idea of the Bills re-signing Preston Brown to a 1 year deal.

Brown will be a FA with Cincinnati after signing a 1 year deal worth only $4M.   He is coming off season ending knee surgery but previously he played just about every game as a starting LB in Buffalo.

Brown didn’t really get the attention in the open market which is why he signed a “prove it” deal.  He’ll likely have to do the same next year and the Bills would be wise to offer a deal around or just under a few million.

Brown was a good starter for McDermott’s defense.  He was willing to lose significant weight to become more mobile and less of a “thumper.”  He was not always the best in coverage but was good enough in most cases.  

I would sign Brown as a dependable backup at MLB.  Keep in mind, a player like Edmunds has struggled all year long and struggled mightily yesterday against the run and pass.  Brown would give the Bills insurance in those situations, he’d also be compentent enough at MLB to consider moving Edmunds to OLB if necessary.   And he could play in the Nickel packages as well.  The signing really gives the 

Bills a lot of flexibility.  

The other reason why I love the Brown signing is because he is everything at MLB that Edmunds is not... at least not yet.  Brown was a pretty good run stuffer between the tackles.  He’d take on blockers and get off blocks to make tackles.  He read his keys, filled his lanes and didn’t shy away from contact.  You didn’t see him get lost in coverage much because of mental errors.  Edmunds isn’t at this point yet and yesterday was a prime example.  

What Edmunds has that Brown never had or never will is some freakish athletic skills which will be perfect in pass defense.  Imagine if part of Brown’s role was to be a “Derek Anderson” for Edmunds?  He definitely could learn from Brown.  

I would feel pretty good with this move.  

No, this infatuation with wanting to bring former Bills back is insanity.

23 minutes ago, pop gun said:

No, this infatuation with wanting to bring former Bills back is insanity.

Not really... I see a player who could be productive and a rookie MLB who is pretty underwhelming.

If it’s not Brown, I would take a similar veteran MLB who could be reliable depth/fringe starter.

IMO many fans overvalue what they have in Edmunds.  I don’t think he’s very good