With Allen, I’m convinced he just needs more help

Bufflow4

2 hours ago, Magox said:

Today was a perfect demonstration that the main problem on our offense was a lack of players who could make plays.

Foster had a TD on a perfect bomb pass by Allen and he couldn't make the play.

Logan had a perfect behind the shoulder pass go through his hands.

Foster had another pass hit his fingers in the endzone.

And there were a couple other dropped passes.

Allen had a few bad passes and passes that I'm sure he will learn from but he is making good throws that should result in points that arent happening.

Next year when they address the offensive line get a couple more weapons and with Allen's second year progression, they will be competing for the division title.

What I've been saying for a long time now. Sure, Allen does make mistakes and yet again missed some of the small throws. But *****, can he get help from his receivers? Look at Brady. On his stat sheet, another fairly long TD pass but Elleman made it happen and did a great play... which you expect 8-15 times a year from your receiving group. Not twice a year with dozens of drops in between! 

And when he has time, he has been money most of the time. With all the cap money for free agents and the draft picks, the Bills could very well be competing the division title by next year by upping the talent at OLine, WR, TE. Add a punter too while you're at it.

And yes continuity matters. Daboll should know Allen and his players much better. Allen some of his receivers (I hope there are many new ones though...)

I admit, I suspect Bellichick of spying, of cheating. He seems to guess so much of the Bills - and other teams - offensive plays. Still, even if he does cheat, he ALSO designs great offensive & defensive plays, ruses, disguises, have the players be ready, disciplined, contain Allen well, etc. So much little details that the Bills staff ain't up to snuff. As with players, some coaches are simply better but as it involves study and preparation, they have less excuse. It's not like the other guy just runs faster than you.

Edited by Jerome007

4 hours ago, WhyteDwarf said:

Can't fix all that on one offseason.

Normally I would agree with you, but we have an unprecedented amount of resources going into the offseason. 

Now does that mean we can add 3 new starting lineman, 4 or 5 starting caliber weapons, fix the D line and LB corps while getting veteran performances out of our ~7 draft picks (I expect Beane will trade up at some point)? No. It will take another season to develop the new guys and get the veteran additions to fit in the system. But we can definitely progress from a team that gets blown out 6+ games a year to a team that can play any team close. 2020 we will know for sure what we have in this regime. 

14 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I think Darnold could have a big game because he has a much better group of pass catching RB's, WR's & TE's.  The Patriots were vulnerable today.  Again at the risk of beating a dead horse Allen had at least 3 dropped TD passes and the Crooms fumble robbed the Bills of another TD.  Put almost any other WR/TE group on the field with Allen today and he has 3 - 4 TD passes and it's an entirely different game.

Net, while I'm sure the Hoodie will have something to say about this, Darnold may be the guy to end his mastery of rookie QB's. 

I completely agree, and that’s saying something because Darnolds supporting cast isn’t very good.  Even in their ineptitude, they are slightly better at every position group on offense (OL/TE/RB/WR). 

15 hours ago, WhyteDwarf said:

The OL is one of the hardest things to build on a team.  They will need a lot of luck to go along with the money + picks to fix it completely in one offseason.  IMO, it will take 2-3 offseasons to build an OL.

What?

Teams routinely overhaul their OL in a single offseason.

The Dolphins did it 3 years ago. The Rams did it 2 seasons ago, the Colts did it last offseason. 

This team can easily improve the OL significantly by adding a starting quality LG and RT. There are multiple targets available at both positions in FA. If they did nothing more along the OL, going into next season with an OL that looked something like Dawkins-Spain-Bodine-Teller-Daryl Williams would be a significant upgrade. Could they/should they do more? Yes. I'd like to see them make a value move like flip a pick to Oakland for Osemele or add a center like Morse/Paradis, but there's absolutely no reason for them to claim that they can't completely overhaul the line in a single offseason.

Edited by thebandit27
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

What?

The Dolphins did it 3 years ago. The Rams did it 2 seasons ago, the Colts did it last offseason. 

This us team can easily improve the OL significantly by adding a starting quality LG and RT. There are multiple targets available at both positions in FA. If they did nothing more along the OL, going into next season with an OL that looked something like Dawkins-Spain-Bodine-Teller-Daryl Williams would be a significant upgrade. Could they/should they do more? Yes. I'd like to see them make a value move like flip a pick to Oakland for Osemele or add a center like Morse/Paradis, but there's absolutely no reason for them to claim that they can't completely overhaul the line in a single offseason.

Outstanding post sir

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

What?

This us team can easily improve the OL significantly by adding a starting quality LG and RT. There are multiple targets available at both positions in FA. If they did nothing more along the OL, going into next season with an OL that looked something like Dawkins-Spain-Bodine-Teller-Daryl Williams would be a significant upgrade. Could they/should they do more? Yes. I'd like to see them make a value move like flip a pick to Oakland for Osemele or add a center like Morse/Paradis, but there's absolutely no reason for them to claim that they can't completely overhaul the line in a single offseason.

I fully expect Beane to go after the best FA O-linemen this year and I believe he will get it done.

Just now, Magox said:

I fully expect Beane to go after the best FA O-linemen this year and I believe he will get it done.

I hope so man. I just hope it's not a repeat of the Dockery/Walker signings where we paid top dollar for second teir guys. Go out and do what you gotta do to secure two top tier guys!

11 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

I hope so man. I just hope it's not a repeat of the Dockery/Walker signings where we paid top dollar for second teir guys. Go out and do what you gotta do to secure two top tier guys!

There will be some element of that, as I'd fully expect the FA guys to be overpaid relative to production. That's just the nature of the game when limited availability meets a glut of cap space.

I think you've struck the right note though: make sure that the guys you're overpaying are the highest value guys you can get for the money. Vis a vis: don't assume you're getting a pro bowl guard simply because you pay him that money.

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

There will be some element of that, as I'd fully expect the FA guys to be overpaid relative to production. That's just the nature of the game when limited availability meets a glut of cap space.

I think you've struck the right note though: make sure that the guys you're overpaying are the highest value guys you can get for the money. Vis a vis: don't assume you're getting a pro bowl guard simply because you pay him that money.

Yep exactly. All will be overpaid but overpay the best ones. You said it all man lol