Is It Crazy to Spend Assets to Upgrade the Defense This Offseason?

Worth saying as well that everyone talks about the Bears 2017 to 2018 as a comparison for us. They signed offensove FAs but they also traded for a top pass rusher and spent their #1 pick on a defensive player to turn what was a top 10 defense in 2017 into a more aggressive take away defense in 2018. 

16 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

The consensus appears to be that the defense was not elite this year, not great or however you want to phrase it.  To me, you can't be second in YPG, third in YPP without at least being good to very good.  Contrast that with an offense that was at the bottom of almost every statistical measure and by many measures was historically bad.  The logical way to go is to spend every available dime upgrading the offense. 

What if we're a player or two from that elusive elite or great defense?  Take a penetrating DT (Oliver?) or a DE who can get to the QB (Allen?), sign someone like Anthony Barr, a hybrid OLB/DE who can give you a lot of versatility on getting to the passer.  I wouldn't mind seeing that scenario at all.

If you spend assets on defense, you've got too many holes to fill on offense to fix in one offseason.  I'd take remaining money and picks to seriously upgrade the offensive line.  Wideouts, tight end and running back will have to wait.  That will be next season's fix.  I think that fits the timeline.  Next year markedly better; 2020 serious contender.

Make sense?

id go offense in free agency as much as we can and then defense in this defensive draft.

of course they will go BPA, which i am much more comfortable with our coach and FO.

15 hours ago, jr1 said:

depth wins championships

Well said.

Another reason they to need to go with the full 53 man roster and not this inactive nonsense. Also i would go up to 60 players, 53 is just such weird number. Nothing worse than losing your season due to injuries, 60 would greatly reduce this from happening.

So how I see it you have to look at the crop of FA's.   Most of the talent is Oline and Dline.

Our most glaring need is OL.  I hope we could get two starters in FA on OL and potentially an elite pass rusher, who won't be cheap, but would fill a legit need.  I know we need WR but there isn't a WR1 there so why overpay, draft is deep a the position and hope we take two in the draft.  I don't see interior DL as much of a need as some, we have Harry and hopefully re-sign Jordan Phillips and I think that is pretty good; then if Kyle wants to come back bring him in, I saw him and Lorenzo were 8M combined against the cap.  Lorenzo is more a need to bring back IMO.

Then you let the draft come to you and draft BPA; needs during draft would be WR, OL, CB, OLB, RB; and maybe we take CB in the top ten if thats BPA(wouldn't be my favorite, but BPA is)

Edited by ChanticleerBillsFan

On 12/21/2018 at 9:41 AM, st pete gogolak said:

The consensus appears to be that the defense was not elite this year, not great or however you want to phrase it.  To me, you can't be second in YPG, third in YPP without at least being good to very good.  Contrast that with an offense that was at the bottom of almost every statistical measure and by many measures was historically bad.  The logical way to go is to spend every available dime upgrading the offense. 

What if we're a player or two from that elusive elite or great defense?  Take a penetrating DT (Oliver?) or a DE who can get to the QB (Allen?), sign someone like Anthony Barr, a hybrid OLB/DE who can give you a lot of versatility on getting to the passer.  I wouldn't mind seeing that scenario at all.

If you spend assets on defense, you've got too many holes to fill on offense to fix in one offseason.  I'd take remaining money and picks to seriously upgrade the offensive line.  Wideouts, tight end and running back will have to wait.  That will be next season's fix.  I think that fits the timeline.  Next year markedly better; 2020 serious contender.

Make sense?

I want the offense to upgrade like virtually all Bills fans, however, 

Bills desperately need a pass rusher so I am OK for taking one when the value is there. If pains me to admit if it is in the first so be it.

Edited by cba fan

It’s not crazy. We need a pass rusher and a corner. 

But my god they gift figure something out for offense. We need 3 new linemen. We need 2 ready to play receivers. We need a TE. And, we need a new RB. We need to replace 7 starters this off season on offense. 

...it is not even feasible or plausible that you go "all in on offense" with 10 picks and $80-$90 mil in FA dollars.....defense's statistical ranking is misleading...had our share of "WikiLEAKS moments" IMO....not like we are the 1985 Bears or 2000 Ravens......plenty of room for improvement defensively.........

On 12/21/2018 at 1:19 PM, BillsSB2020 said:

I think it's folly to try to emulate a "master plan" ie Seattle's great defense while Wilson was on a rookie deal etc.

That's more or less what I am saying. Their will always be different ways that work although a good general rule of thumb is to maximize what you can during a QBs rookie deal because after that they eat space.

I think great defenses though are partially a bit of luck. It requires very few injuries, the right players in their primes at the right time, and turnover luck. A big piece of having a good defense generally is just drafting BPA. Baltimore has consistently done that and mixing a somewhat decent offense with that can make a team be regularly good to sometimes great. That to me is more of the true formula because getting an all time great franchise QB requires a good bit of luck as opposed to a ten year starter like Flacco who did enough for them.

• Like (+1) 1