Is It Crazy to Spend Assets to Upgrade the Defense This Offseason?

2 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

The consensus appears to be that the defense was not elite this year, not great or however you want to phrase it.  To me, you can't be second in YPG, third in YPP without at least being good to very good.  Contrast that with an offense that was at the bottom of almost every statistical measure and by many measures was historically bad.  The logical way to go is to spend every available dime upgrading the offense. 

What if we're a player or two from that elusive elite or great defense?  Take a penetrating DT (Oliver?) or a DE who can get to the QB (Allen?), sign someone like Anthony Barr, a hybrid OLB/DE who can give you a lot of versatility on getting to the passer.  I wouldn't mind seeing that scenario at all.

If you spend assets on defense, you've got too many holes to fill on offense to fix in one offseason.  I'd take remaining money and picks to seriously upgrade the offensive line.  Wideouts, tight end and running back will have to wait.  That will be next season's fix.  I think that fits the timeline.  Next year markedly better; 2020 serious contender.

Make sense?

You always try to improve all facets of your team. Just because our defense was strong this year doesn't mean it will be next season. Offenses around the league will try to improve, only makes sense that defenses do as well.

12 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

We have 10 Draft picks and lots o cash. Focus on immediate upgrades on Offense, combine a few picks to trade up for a Dplayer we covet.

I was expecting thrm to do this since those extra picks are trash. Def smart move to use them to trade up for a more valuable asset.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

We have a ton of money, and there isn’t a whole lot in the FA market on offense.

I would love to go into the draft with something like this:

2x offensive linemen (Paradis and Williams come to mind) 

2x vet playmakers (Cole Beasley and Jermaine Kearse) 

1x vet runner (TJ Yeldon) 

1 front seven impact player (Jadaveon Clowney, Anthony Barr)

Wow.  This would be fantastic.  I'm not a capologist.  Is this even doable?

8 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Wow.  This would be fantastic.  I'm not a capologist.  Is this even doable?

I honestly have no clue.

Williams could be relatively affordable coming off an ACL.

Paradis will be pricey.

Kearse has been a nothing burger this year in NY but I think he would be a cheap vet that can add some medium passing level. 

Beasley would probably be affordable and I like him cause he opens lanes in the short passing game.

Yeldon is probably inexpensive. 

Barr hasn’t played up to a big contract this year, and Clowney has some injury questions. But I think either of them would be good in our unit. I don’t know prices though.

Thats just my view on it, but I don’t know much about the cap stuff either.

The offense is fine the way it is. I say focus completely on the defense because it's been pretty bad this year. Edmunds looks like a bust and Milano is always hurt. Tre White is too short and is getting lit up. We have no CBs one opposite him at all. Our safeties look slow. The D-line can't stop the run or rush the passer. The only guys that has been OK is Shaq Lawson and that is only because he knows he cannot get to the QB so he stands at the line bats the ball down.

Programming note: The above was meant to be a steaming pile of horse manure. Thank you for wasting 30 minutes of your life to read it.:nana:

3 hours ago, Doc said:

They'll have $90M to spend and probably won't be able to get all the offensive FA's they want, so yes, they should sign some FA's to upgrade the defense.

Completely agree. I’m sure we will sign at least on big name on Defense this offseason. We have the #2 Defense in the league and have $90 million to spend.

I hope it’s Anthony Barr  get him a a decent price and put him at SLB. Move Alexander to DE. 

And hope Bean can find a good young CB. 

36 minutes ago, MikeSpeed said:

The offense is fine the way it is. I say focus completely on the defense because it's been pretty bad this year. Edmunds looks like a bust and Milano is always hurt. Tre White is too short and is getting lit up. We have no CBs one opposite him at all. Our safeties look slow. The D-line can't stop the run or rush the passer. The only guys that has been OK is Shaq Lawson and that is only because he knows he cannot get to the QB so he stands at the line bats the ball down.

Programming note: The above was meant to be a steaming pile of horse manure. Thank you for wasting 30 minutes of your life to read it.:nana:

dude.....dude....DUDE

The best way to build a roster is through the draft, and then using free agency to just fill in the gaps.  And the best way to draft is to go with the "Best Player Available" - rather than pass guys over or reach too early for prospects at position of need.

If you consider the size of an NFL roster, average contract lengths and resources available - a GM can only realistically address about 25% of a roster in a single year.  Assuming you count the 2017 offseason (which Sean McDermott basically ran), this regime has only been able to "fix" about half of the roster so far.  I think Brandon Beane definitely understands this concept.  The problem is, the 50% of the roster he's managed to address so far is almost exclusively on the defensive side of the ball.  If he digs in his heels and stubbornly refuses to go anywhere but offense, he's more likely to make bad decisions in the draft.  But if he doesn't make a point to target the weak spots on the roster, he will be pushing this rebuild into another season before we can get competitive.

The key to this offseason is being aggressive (and hopefully successful) in addressing most of our needs in Free Agency.  Offensive Tackle is a must.  Center is a must.  At least one Guard spot is a must.  Wide Receiver is a must.  Running Back, Tight End and Cornerback are pretty close to must-needs.  It's a pretty tall order for Beane.  But the more spots he fills before the draft, the more flexible we are to get the best player when our picks are on the clock.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Top guys in the draft are mostly on defense.   You see a guy with All Pro potential grab him, especially at DE or OLB.

Although as a rule I do not like drafting Offensive line in the 1st round of a draft, one cannot help but see how that worked out for Indy with their pick of Quenton Nelson.

There are some legit blue chip O-linemen available this year and I could foresee a run on them considering the needs of teams that invested a lot in their QB of the future - Arizona, Buffalo, and some established teams have to be thinking they need to protect better - Aaron Rogers isn't getting any younger and took a lot of shots this year, the Redskins QBs have been destroyed, the Eagles, Detroit, Miami, Houston, Dallas, Tennessee, and the Giants all but said they are retooling their o-line - all of these teams are likely thinking they have to do a better job protecting their current investments at QB.

There has been some solid speculation on this forum that this could also lead to more than a bit of a bidding war around FA o-linemen that are worth looking at and would likely price them beyond their value - the Bills have money, but need to spend it wisely. I see them maybe cracking the piggy bank for 1 or 2 FA o-linemen tops depending on how the bidding goes. So the rest would have to come via the draft.

I don't think our defense is in as desperate need as the offense, and will be even better if they can get healthy again. They could use some depth at LB and another prospect that can do what Star is supposed to be doing every down - if nothing else, to help spell him in a rotation because taking on double teams without getting blown up is not as easy as some would think and those guys get gassed fast (not excusing him for lack of impact, just saying he and the Bills would do better with a quality rotation at the position) Darius was supposed to be that guy for the d-line to build around before Star - didn't work.

If there is a can't miss BPA on defense then you take him, but it will be interesting to see how the next draft unfolds, I also think there are some really solid TE prospects coming out this year would like us to pick up one that has above average blocking, and hands that can catch a bullet.

5 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

The consensus appears to be that the defense was not elite this year, not great or however you want to phrase it.  To me, you can't be second in YPG, third in YPP without at least being good to very good.  Contrast that with an offense that was at the bottom of almost every statistical measure and by many measures was historically bad.  The logical way to go is to spend every available dime upgrading the offense. 

What if we're a player or two from that elusive elite or great defense?  Take a penetrating DT (Oliver?) or a DE who can get to the QB (Allen?), sign someone like Anthony Barr, a hybrid OLB/DE who can give you a lot of versatility on getting to the passer.  I wouldn't mind seeing that scenario at all.

If you spend assets on defense, you've got too many holes to fill on offense to fix in one offseason.  I'd take remaining money and picks to seriously upgrade the offensive line.  Wideouts, tight end and running back will have to wait.  That will be next season's fix.  I think that fits the timeline.  Next year markedly better; 2020 serious contender.

Make sense?

BPA no matter what side of the ball. No QB before round 6 please.

12 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Although as a rule I do not like drafting Offensive line in the 1st round of a draft, one cannot help but see how that worked out for Indy with their pick of Quenton Nelson.

There are some legit blue chip O-linemen available this year and I could foresee a run on them considering the needs of teams that invested a lot in their QB of the future - Arizona, Buffalo, and some established teams have to be thinking they need to protect better - Aaron Rogers isn't getting any younger and took a lot of shots this year, the Redskins QBs have been destroyed, the Eagles, Detroit, Miami, Houston, Dallas, Tennessee, and the Giants all but said they are retooling their o-line - all of these teams are likely thinking they have to do a better job protecting their current investments at QB.

There has been some solid speculation on this forum that this could also lead to more than a bit of a bidding war around FA o-linemen that are worth looking at and would likely price them beyond their value - the Bills have money, but need to spend it wisely. I see them maybe cracking the piggy bank for 1 or 2 FA o-linemen tops depending on how the bidding goes. So the rest would have to come via the draft.

I don't think our defense is in as desperate need as the offense, and will be even better if they can get healthy again. They could use some depth at LB and another prospect that can do what Star is supposed to be doing every down - if nothing else, to help spell him in a rotation because taking on double teams without getting blown up is not as easy as some would think and those guys get gassed fast (not excusing him for lack of impact, just saying he and the Bills would do better with a quality rotation at the position) Darius was supposed to be that guy for the d-line to build around before Star - didn't work.

If there is a can't miss BPA on defense then you take him, but it will be interesting to see how the next draft unfolds, I also think there are some really solid TE prospects coming out this year would like us to pick up one that has above average blocking, and hands that can catch a bullet.

I agree they need O line desperately but I'd rather see what they can get in FA there.  Takes a while to learn O line positions (although Nelson is an exception) so might get better band for the buck in FA.  I do think they get a TE in the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, whatdrought said:

We have a ton of money, and there isn’t a whole lot in the FA market on offense.

I would love to go into the draft with something like this:

2x offensive linemen (Paradis and Williams come to mind) 

2x vet playmakers (Cole Beasley and Jermaine Kearse) 

1x vet runner (TJ Yeldon) 

1 front seven impact player (Jadaveon Clowney, Anthony Barr)

Why Kearse - underperforming with Jets.  Not worth the cash.

7 hours ago, Doc said:

They'll have $90M to spend and probably won't be able to get all the offensive FA's they want, so yes, they should sign some FA's to upgrade the defense.

I really doubt they spend it all. Brandon Beane strikes me as a draft and develop guy. Is he gonna sign some OL and WR this year in FA to help the development of his prized QB? Yep, I'm sure he is. But I think he will be more like Chris Ballard of the Colts last offseason. He had money to spend and was linked with endless big name FAs but he was not a massive player, he drafted well and developed. I strongly suspect the Bills still carry $30m + of cap space going into 2019. I don't expect a full LA Rams loading up of the trucks. Beane is gonna stick to the Process. 

• Like (+1) 2

It would be great if they're successful building the O-line in FA, and maybe adding some solid (not "break the bank with giant lengthy contract") type WRs; maybe even a CB to pair with White on the outside.  Being able to draft BPA during the draft would be ideal, so here's to hoping they get the free agent O lineman they are targeting. 

Don't get me wrong, if solid O-line/WR/RB are available, especially during mid to late rounds, please scoop those players up.  It just feels that even with a successful free agent class, the Bills will still have many needs so they really can't go wrong during the draft unless they're forced to pick positions based on need.

Having said all this, that second CB, a stud pass rusher and another OLB gives this defense the potential to be scary, even terrifying.  In a good way, of course.

“Upgrade”? It will take SOME resources just to replace some parts and maintain the status quo. At a minimum we will see that. I think it will be a little more than that though, despite an emphasis on offense.