Is It Crazy to Spend Assets to Upgrade the Defense This Offseason?

1 hour ago, st pete gogolak said:

The consensus appears to be that the defense was not elite this year, not great or however you want to phrase it.  To me, you can't be second in YPG, third in YPP without at least being good to very good.  Contrast that with an offense that was at the bottom of almost every statistical measure and by many measures was historically bad.  The logical way to go is to spend every available dime upgrading the offense. 

What if we're a player or two from that elusive elite or great defense?  Take a penetrating DT (Oliver?) or a DE who can get to the QB (Allen?), sign someone like Anthony Barr, a hybrid OLB/DE who can give you a lot of versatility on getting to the passer.  I wouldn't mind seeing that scenario at all.

If you spend assets on defense, you've got too many holes to fill on offense to fix in one offseason.  I'd take remaining money and picks to seriously upgrade the offensive line.  Wideouts, tight end and running back will have to wait.  That will be next season's fix.  I think that fits the timeline.  Next year markedly better; 2020 serious contender.

Make sense?

Building on strength is never a bad idea especially when guys like Kyle Williams and Lorax are over 30 and might fall from grace/retire. Toss in you never know what can happen next year in terms of injuries etc. So yes, I look to add to the defense but of course offense is the bigger concern.

Defense you will always need to put some investments into because of age, change of scheme, etc.. I am not one who believes it's worth trying to build a great defense because the window is so short and things like turnovers are so based off luck. I think the Bills have the right philosophy of having a consistently good unit like they do and if it does be great so be it. This is a league that prefers offense like no other that should always be the focus.

That said I expect a 70-30 split between offense to defense with how assets are spent. Truthfully the first round is more defense heavy earlier on. If there is a guy they like on D then go for it, but you better spend the majority of the picks on offense. FA the best players are on OL and Pass rush this year so yea if you can get Anthony Barr and a guy like Safford from the Rams do it.

So I do not think its crazy to make upgrades to the D I think to a certain extent you always should. But after 2 years of spending the majority of assets on the D the focus needs to be far more offensively geared.

The consensus appears to be that the defense was not elite this year, not great or however you want to phrase it.  To me, you can't be second in YPG, third in YPP without at least being good to very good.  Contrast that with an offense that was at the bottom of almost every statistical measure and by many measures was historically bad.  The logical way to go is to spend every available dime upgrading the offense. 

What if we're a player or two from that elusive elite or great defense?  Take a penetrating DT (Oliver?) or a DE who can get to the QB (Allen?), sign someone like Anthony Barr, a hybrid OLB/DE who can give you a lot of versatility on getting to the passer.  I wouldn't mind seeing that scenario at all.

If you spend assets on defense, you've got too many holes to fill on offense to fix in one offseason.  I'd take remaining money and picks to seriously upgrade the offensive line.  Wideouts, tight end and running back will have to wait.  That will be next season's fix.  I think that fits the timeline.  Next year markedly better; 2020 serious contender.

Make sense?

I think assets need o be spend on both offense and defense. Barr is an interesting player, but I'd rather just use a draft pick and take Josh Allen, who is younger and going to be cheaper. I always thought Anthony Barr was kind of soft. 

I think teh offensive line needs to be fixed in free agency. The best thing for Josh Allen is to have a veteran line in front of him. 

I also think we grab a reciever and secondary piece like Eric Rowe who can play corner, safety, and slot. 

I think you draft defensive line and linebackers this year, because that is where the strength lies. I don't believe in drafting offensive lineman high unless they are a guy like Quentin Nelson who has literally no flaws in his game. I don't like this receiving class either. 

I think you sign a C (Morse or Easton), a guard (Cann or Glowinski) and right tackle (Daryl Williams or Josh Wells). 

Grab a receiver like Chris Conley. I think you still draft one somewhere, but you have to grab one in FA. And you sign a tight end or two. Resign Matt Barkley to be the backup. 

Use your draft picks to go pure BPA and get some younger players on the defensive line. 

I've always been of the opinion that you should draft at least one DB every year.  

I wouldn't mind seeing a stud OLB to partner with our current duo but I think FA is where they will get a linebacker.  

And the trenches?  Show me a big boy who can demand double teams and I'm all in.  

Imo, spending assets on defense is definitely on the table.  

Make sense?

I think you're right in terms of timeline - but we have too many holes to fill on offense to begin with and it's damn near impossible to address them all in a single offseason. Look at it this way, we could offer 25 guys contracts in FA and have none of them sign. While I'm not necessarily advocating for defensive FA moves given this year's draft, it is still likely that a couple will be made. 

Second, our defense is very good, but to not address it at all this offseason would be damn near an even greater mistake than this past year with the QB carousel. Despite our deplorable offense this year, you cannot let that blind you as a GM looking to improve the team - you should address both sides of the ball each year to varying degrees. It's abundantly clear our DL needs a top pass rusher, and our secondary could do with a stout DB2, and our LB stable some more depth. These can be mostly addressed via the draft and it's likely some will. 

To only spend money on the offense right now means that we are okay with our defense only ever being this good next year. Interestingly, this may very well be enough with a good offense, but I don't think that's the plan of the process here. Beane is going to take what he can to help the team whether that be defense or offense, but he's well aware of the team's needs as are we all.

That being said, we should prioritize investing in the OL as much as we can if we want to see the largest jump in offensive production, as those moves aren't sexy, but bolster and raise the level of play of every other offensive skill position. But take care not to neglect our defensive needs, especially along the DL.

They def need upgrades.  When you don't sack Broken Back Bradford, something is amiss.  That said, I think they will use their assets to beef up every area of the team.  With 90 million in cap, I would expect a player like Barr in FA, a Center in FA, and the draft to take BPA (Oliver, OT, WR).   With 10 picks, I also see us trading up to get a top OT and WR, both of which should be available late 1st/early 2nd. 

We will be adding a lot of talent on both sides of the ball.  Should be exciting. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

We have a ton of money, and there isn’t a whole lot in the FA market on offense.

I would love to go into the draft with something like this:

2x offensive linemen (Paradis and Williams come to mind) 

2x vet playmakers (Cole Beasley and Jermaine Kearse) 

1x vet runner (TJ Yeldon) 

1 front seven impact player (Jadaveon Clowney, Anthony Barr)

We need an impact pass rusher.  With the way this year turned out I wish we would have beaten the Bears for Mack....I think either a nice 5 year, $80 million deal or a high draft pick will be spent on someone who can set the edge and get to the QB.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

I like the way you think.

Would love to have Yeldon & Paradis. Do you really think the Texans will let Clowney walk?

Meh, probably not. But it’s so hard to tell these days.

They have been really good at developing front 7 guys, and they aren’t going to do ***** without helping that offensive line. So I could see it happen.

55 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Defense you will always need to put some investments into because of age, change of scheme, etc.. I am not one who believes it's worth trying to build a great defense because the window is so short and things like turnovers are so based off luck. I think the Bills have the right philosophy of having a consistently good unit like they do and if it does be great so be it. This is a league that prefers offense like no other that should always be the focus.

That said I expect a 70-30 split between offense to defense with how assets are spent. Truthfully the first round is more defense heavy earlier on. If there is a guy they like on D then go for it, but you better spend the majority of the picks on offense. FA the best players are on OL and Pass rush this year so yea if you can get Anthony Barr and a guy like Safford from the Rams do it.

So I do not think its crazy to make upgrades to the D I think to a certain extent you always should. But after 2 years of spending the majority of assets on the D the focus needs to be far more offensively geared.

I think it's folly to try to emulate a "master plan" ie Seattle's great defense while Wilson was on a rookie deal etc.

Most things that retroactively appear to be master plans were at least partially a result of good timing more than a "master plan." The best approach is to consistently acquire good players at reasonable contracts and the rest will work itself out.

18 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

I think it's folly to try to emulate a "master plan" ie Seattle's great defense while Wilson was on a rookie deal etc.

Most things that retroactively appear to be master plans were at least partially a result of good timing more than a "master plan." The best approach is to consistently acquire good players at reasonable contracts and the rest will work itself out.

I would agree with this in that a master plan appears as such in hindsight.  Just not enough hits in the draft and free agency to think that a master plan always bears fruit.

• Like (+1) 1