So our bust qb was responsible for nearly 400 yards of offense

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Allen had a very good game today with the short and intermediate stuff - I posted an assessment from Cover1 earlier.  There is no question this is an area of his game he is working hard at, and I see improvement relative to Week 1.

But there are still shots he won't take, that he has available to him.  I also posted a screenshot of one of Allen's successful runs - a 17 yd scramble with a textbook slide at the end, on 3rd and 3 in the 4th qtr.  As Allen approaches the LOS with room to pause and throw, we see he has McCoy at the 31, wide open and holding out his hand.  It appears that Allen is looking in that direction, but Allen doesn't pull the trigger.  I think I saw 3-4 of those.

The only reason I can think of for not taking some of those shots, is that he lacks complete faith in his ability to hit them.

JMO

Or he thought he'd make more yards running.

I think we all need to take a deep breath and quit over analyzing each and every play this kid makes as if it is a predictor of his career.  He's a rookie QB.  He shows a lot of promise. He'll make plays that have you jump out of your chair and some that leave you scratching your head.  Because he's young.  Let's enjoy watching him develop.

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Or he thought he'd make more yards running.

I think we all need to take a deep breath and quit over analyzing each and every play this kid makes as if it is a predictor of his career.  He's a rookie QB.  He shows a lot of promise. He'll make plays that have you jump out of your chair and some that leave you scratching your head.  Because he's young.  Let's enjoy watching him develop.

I remember that play and seeing a defender ready to converge on Shady.  I think he made the right decision there.

13 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I took some flack for my QB rankings in the draft.

Mayfield

Allen

Rudolph(Yes 26CBI still think so)

Rudolph is the only one who hasnt proven me correct yet.  While I felt Allen has enormous upside(John Elway or above ceiling), I believed Mayfield was and is a sure thing.  Allen will meet that potential and in 30 years the end rankings will be

Allen-HOF

Mayfield-HOF

Rudolph-HOF

Rosen-Journeyman backup that will be a Fitzpatrick type

Darnold-Bust

Jackson-still a big wild card. Bust-HOF depends on the position he ends up in. (I dont mean WR or QB, I mean HC, QBC, and OC)

326-525 57.6% 3739yds 26tds 28ints

Who is this

Peyton Manning?

If Allen approaches those numbers on a prorated scale, I'll be ecstatic.

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Allen had a very good game today with the short and intermediate stuff - I posted an assessment from Cover1 earlier.  There is no question this is an area of his game he is working hard at, and I see improvement relative to Week 1.

But there are still shots he won't take, that he has available to him.  I also posted a screenshot of one of Allen's successful runs - a 17 yd scramble with a textbook slide at the end, on 3rd and 3 in the 4th qtr.  As Allen approaches the LOS with room to pause and throw, we see he has McCoy at the 31, wide open and holding out his hand.  It appears that Allen is looking in that direction, but Allen doesn't pull the trigger.  I think I saw 3-4 of those.

The only reason I can think of for not taking some of those shots, is that he lacks complete faith in his ability to hit them.

JMO

Or that he sees open field and is pretty sure he can get the first down so why risk any throw and live for another three downs.

2 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Yup I hope so as well. 

People seem to think a high draft pick QB is supposed to come in playing like an MVP or something.

That entirely unfair, but you do expect to see flashes of brilliance. The great ones will show you something early on.

I saw enough flashes of brilliance from Allen to have some hope going forward, and I've been firmly in the bust camp.

The kid has to work on touch and recognition, but he has a chance. 

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

That entirely unfair, but you do expect to see flashes of brilliance. The great ones will show you something early on.

I saw enough flashes of brilliance from Allen to have some hope going forward, and I've been firmly in the bust camp.

The kid has to work on touch and recognition, but he has a chance. 

He has more than a chance.  The question is no longer if he will be great but when and how great.

3 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Certainly don't share your unbridled optimism, but I'm out of the surefire bust camp. It's a start.

Good, I think a lot of people are coming around to what I already knew.  I think we both hope Im right.

He's got magic.  It's like Flutie and the Jolly Green Giant's sister got together and had a baby.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Good, I think a lot of people are coming around to what I already knew.  I think we both hope Im right.

He's got magic.  It's like Flutie and the Jolly Green Giant's sister got together and had a baby.

We are both indeed hoping you are correct.

Nothing would mean more to this franchise than Josh Allen becoming a great and I'd be more than happy to have been wrong. At the end of the day, I want to see the Bills do well as much as anyone. 

I don't suppose this head to head comparison of each of these guys 1st 2 NFL seasons means anything to anyone here.  I threw in Vick because unlike the other QB on this list, Allen is a weapon as a runner, and his running stats thus far are practically equal to Vick in his first 2 NFL seasons.  It is remarkable that Vick and Allen also have nearly the same completions and attempts on a per game basis through a similar number of games at this point in their careers.

Would you be happy if Allen had a VICK like career?

Per Game

Passing Rushing
Rk Player From To Cmp Att Yds TD Int Sk Yds Att Yds TD
1 Josh Allen 2018 2018 12.6 23.9 152.9 0.6 0.9 2.9 22.6 7.1 48.6 0.5
2 Jim Kelly* 1986 1987 19.1 32.1 228.3 1.5 1.0 2.5 20.3 2.5 11.9 0.0
3 J.P. Losman 2004 2005 8.9 17.9 105.5 0.6 0.7 2.1 15.2 2.5 13.0 0.0
4 EJ Manuel 2013 2017 11.4 19.7 125.6 0.7 0.5 1.6 9.9 3.2 11.3 0.1
5 Michael Vick 2001 2002 12.2 23.2 161.8 0.8 0.5 2.3 13.9 6.3 46.3 0.

On 12/2/2018 at 4:34 PM, billsfan11 said:

How can you possibly blame Allen for that loss? If that’s what you’re trying to say

Why is it hot or cold. Why is the logic he didnt win the game so we blame him. 400 yds means little when you lose. I dont think anyone is blaming him directly.