• Stand strong in the pocket under fire
  • Step up in or slide in the pocket
  • Have poise
  • Follow game plans
  • Think quickly and act decisively
  • Be fearless, tough, and never panic
  • Have the ability to run, scramble, and throw on the run both left and right
  • Know and work the clock
  • Throw left, right and down the middle; short, medium and long; and all with power, touch and accuracy
  • Be coachable
  • Call audibles
  • Command a huddle
  • Study film
  • Withstand and play with pain
  • Stay healthy
  • Run the two-minute and four-minute offense
  • And then play your very best at crunch time in the biggest games on the biggest stage with the most on the line under severe pressure.

Oh, and don’t be a jerk to your coaches, teammates, fans or anyone off the field. Ever.

All while 11 enormous maniacs are actually trying to rip your head off or bury a helmet into your sternum or spleen.

It's been said before of course, and you know this, but he had three very nice completions called back, two drops ( albeit one was tough catch) and three incompletions that he avoided the rush and rolled out and threw it away. Plus two inc which were a Hail Mary good pass, and a third and 25 where he just heaved it up on a prayer, which is a way better play and idea than a 3 yard pass every other Bills QB does. He was accurate. 

I didn’t argue he was inaccurate but that he completed 4 passes in 45 minutes of game clock in a pass happy Nfl. 

Thats a concern. Any which way it gets dressed up. He overcame it but it’s a problem that had to be overcome. 

Coupled with only 8 catches and one being a 75 yarder... unless you think that’ll be a regular ratio, or somehow representative of normal play it’s pretty tough to lean on a YPC stat like that. 

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I didn’t argue he was inaccurate but that he completed 4 passes in 45 minutes of game clock in a pass happy Nfl. 

Thats a concern. Any which way it gets dressed up. He overcame it but it’s a problem that had to be overcome. 

Coupled with only 8 catches and one being a 75 yarder... unless you think that’ll be a regular ratio, or somehow representative of normal play it’s pretty tough to lean on a YPC stat like that. 

Understood. But there was a large contingent that was using the 8-19 stat to show he was inaccurate in the game, and he wasn't. So I mentioned that if you were going to use stats to show how he played, how about the YPA or YPC? I understand it's not a big sample but neither is 19 attempts. 

He also had 18 yards in the air per attempt, which was highest in the league.

4 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

In no specific order:

• Win games
  • Win championships
  • Show true leadership and mental toughness
  • Have accuracy and arm strength
  • Size
  • Experience
  • Good ball-handling and play-action skills
  • Read a defense at full speed under durress
  • Handle a heavy rush
  • Stand strong in the pocket under fire
  • Step up in or slide in the pocket
  • Have poise
  • Follow game plans
  • Think quickly and act decisively
  • Be fearless, tough, and never panic
  • Have the ability to run, scramble, and throw on the run both left and right
  • Know and work the clock
  • Throw left, right and down the middle; short, medium and long; and all with power, touch and accuracy
  • Be coachable
  • Call audibles
  • Command a huddle
  • Study film
  • Withstand and play with pain
  • Stay healthy
  • Run the two-minute and four-minute offense
  • And then play your very best at crunch time in the biggest games on the biggest stage with the most on the line under severe pressure.

Oh, and don’t be a jerk to your coaches, teammates, fans or anyone off the field. Ever.

That's only 27 though.

• Haha (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Understood. But there was a large contingent that was using the 8-19 stat to show he was inaccurate in the game, and he wasn't. So I mentioned that if you were going to use stats to show how he played, how about the YPA or YPC? I understand it's not a big sample but neither is 19 attempts. 

He also had 18 yards in the air per attempt, which was highest in the league.

Even if you called him 11-14 on the day... I’ll say I had similar sentiments after tyrods big day against miami(?) where he was like 11-12 with a couple long balls.

its simply not enough passing success to be an ok normal and it’s a small enough sample that it can’t be extrapolated to anything meaningful.

he didn’t lose the game with his passing and found a way to win it with legs, defense, and playing bortles. You take it happily from a rookie but it can’t be the regular or something celebrated toooo much is all

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

https://buffalonews.com/2018/11/29/buffalo-bills-josh-allen-nfl-quarterback-voice-of-the-fan/

Voice of the Fan: How many of the 50 essentials of being QB does Josh Allen possess?

And yet, still, he has 30 things he needs to learn, improve substantially on, or downright master.

How does anyone do it? A guy could have 49 of the essentials but if he didn’t have one of them such as arm strength, attitude, ability to handle severe pressure or read defenses -- just to name a few -- it is a death knell, and you simply cannot play that position in this league.

Last Sunday, Josh Allen took one small step for quarterbacks and one giant leap for the Buffalo Bills in his return to the starting lineup, after missing five weeks because two thugs simultaneously sandwiched him after he threw a bullet, and remarkably, neither was flagged.

Allen looked more poised in the pocket. He threw short, medium and long. He threw left, right and down the middle. He threw with power, touch and accuracy. He ran and scrambled and threw on the run. He handled, slid in, stepped up in, and avoided the rush under duress. He read defenses. He thought quickly and acted decisively. He was fearless and tough. He showed leadership, commanded the team and huddle. And more. Allen showcased maybe two-thirds of the essentials.

In fact, everyone knows that 89.61% of stats are made up. Some will say Allen was 8-for-19 and inaccurate, but that would be inaccurate. Most of the game he was extremely so. And he averaged 20 yards a completion, which is off the charts. He averaged 8.4 yards per attempt, which would be seventh in the league.

Not to mention running for 100 yards, the most ever by a Bills quarterback in a game. I’m not counting those last two kneel downs as yards lost and neither should you, let alone the NFL.

The crowd, buoyed by the Sabres and UB, was rocking. Buffalo’s main home teams, between the streaking Sabres, Bills and Bull have won, like, 20 games in a row, at least as of Wednesday night.

He's making progress, however 8 of 19 completions is not sustainable. That said he made a couple of nice throws and hung in the pocket with eyes down field several times. All moves in the right direction.  He's going to have some bad games, we have to be patient

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

And you need to realize Daboll isn't going to be aggressive with his play calling if the Bills are winning or in the game.  So try and realize it isn't all Allen.

25 minutes ago, BB@Shooter said:

And you need to realize Daboll isn't going to be aggressive with his play calling if the Bills are winning or in the game.  So try and realize it isn't all Allen.

Doesn’t that amount to “our OC doesn’t trust our qb so you can’t say the lack of attempts are a reflection on our qb?” Im not even knocking the guy, just saying you can’t get too high (or low) off the very limited amount he did... at their core I find your post defending allen more insulting to him than mine tempering expectations.

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Doesn’t that amount to “our OC doesn’t trust our qb so you can’t say the lack of attempts are a reflection on our qb?” Im not even knocking the guy, just saying you can’t get too high (or low) off the very limited amount he did... at their core I find your post defending allen more insulting to him than mine tempering expectations.

I get that, but all I’m looking for is progress, and in many ways I just felt that. It was my personal eye test, nothing more (and I DO wear corrective lenses!), I can’t point to anything concrete, and it’s FAR from a finished project.....but I need hope and that hasn’t been stripped from me yet. How low is THAT bar! ?

Edited by Augie

Just now, Augie said:

I get that, but all I’m looking for is progress, and in many ways I just felt that. It was my personal eye test, nothing more (and I DO wear corrective lenses!), I can’t point to anything concrete, and it’s FAR from a finished project.....but I need hope and that hasn’t been stripped from me. How low is THAT bar! ?

Hes firmly got his hand on the first rung of the ladder. We’ve had plenty of guys that missed completely and fell on their faces. So it’s big. 

Pulling himself up will now be the tricky part. He’s got about a year and a month to either get on there for real or wear out and slip off

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

Hes firmly got his hand on the first rung of the ladder. We’ve had plenty of guys that missed completely and fell on their faces. So it’s big. 

Pulling himself up will now be the tricky part. He’s got about a year and a month to either get on there for real or wear out and slip off

I think it depends upon what level of progress he shows by the end of next season. To get on there for real, or to wear out and slip would be easy calls. The way I’ve seen it play out is it’s usually too muddy to call for sure. He’s better, but is he ENOUGH better? Nothing worse than the middling, that leads to dragging it out. I can’t bear to see him slip off, so I’ll pray he surprises and flies to the top. 

If he slips? It’s still just a game. 

16 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

It is more of an issue with lack of talent on the team. Why put a rookie in those situations. Look what it is doing for Rosen and Sammy Boy Darnold. Interception City. In case you haven't noticed, Allen has been protecting the ball. Allen has the least amount of talent to work with. I really hope you have more football iq than you are putting out on here.

11 minutes ago, BB@Shooter said:

It is more of an issue with lack of talent on the team. Why put a rookie in those situations. Look what it is doing for Rosen and Sammy Boy Darnold. Interception City. In case you haven't noticed, Allen has been protecting the ball. Allen has the least amount of talent to work with. I really hope you have more football iq than you are putting out on here.

Fiesty come back to me noting that 8 completions isn’t a big enough sample to comment on YPC, or really much of anything.

i think you are reading insults that aren’t actually being made, sir 

21 minutes ago, BB@Shooter said:

He does seem to be protecting the ball more he's got what 1 interception in his last 3 games and that one was popped up by the receiver.

http://www.oleantimesherald.com/sports/pollock-allen-finding-his-niche-as-buffalo-s-qb/article_e19a0ab2-f488-11e8-8023-2b63f6ba16df.html

Allen finding his niche as Buffalo’s QB

“I FEEL like I’m comfortable back there,” Allen admitted. “I think in the Texans game (when he was hurt), things started to slow down a little bit for me. Being able to sit out and learn from DA (Derek Anderson) and Matt (Barkley) has definitely helped me. (But) I’m still learning, still growing and progressing.”

And the reason is the two veteran quarterbacks.

“The communication that we have is really good,” Allen emphasized. “Whatever they see, they let me know. They go to Daboll (Brian, offensive coordinator) and say ‘I think this play can work in this situation’ … just small things like that, helping me out, helping Daboll out. The more sets of eyes that know what’s going on usually the better it works out.

“I think you’re going to start seeing better football from this team. Obviously, the coaching that we have here is awesome and special. The feel in the locker room right now is really good. We have veterans that are teaching the younger guys ... younger guys that are taking it and applying it to the football field. In return, you see we’ve had a few really good games in the past couple of weeks against some really good defenses and against some really good teams.”

COACH SEAN McDermott liked most of what he saw from Allen against the Jaguars.

“I thought, overall, he was on time going through his reads, going through his progressions,” he said. “Certainly, there’s some plays that he would like to have back, but overall, coming off of that hiatus being out, he was on time with most of those decisions. When it was time to pull it down, he pulled it down and went with it. When it was time to get rid of it, he got rid of it and threw it away if it wasn’t there. All-in-all, some good moments from Josh (though) certainly some room for improvement.”

Daboll agreed.

“He helped us score points and he took care of the football,” Buffalo’s first-year coordinator said. “There’s plays we have to be better on, but I love the energy that he brought. He was competitive.

“(He’s) got to be smart and know when to get out of bounds, but made plays with his legs, made plays with his arm. Certainly, there are plays and throws that we’d like to have back, but he had a good game. We have to build off that and be better (against Miami).”

https://www.whitewolfsports.com/nfl/2018-nfl-rookie-report-week-13/

2018 NFL Rookie Report: Week 13

Josh Allen, Bills QB (2)

Last week (v JAX)

8/19 (42.1%), 160 yards, 1 TD // 13 carries, 99 yards, 1 TD

Season stats

52.5%, 992 yards, 3 TD, 5 INT // 48 carries, 254 yards, 4 TD

Josh Allen is 3-3 as a starter so far, but he could easily be 4-2 if not for leaving the loss against the Texans early, and the rookie has already picked up wins over Minnesota and Jacksonville to start his career. Last week, Allen looked like the most dominant player on the field against trash-talking Jalen Ramsey and the Jaguars, and that was in large part due to his ability as a runner. Also, the strong-armed quarterback made a couple impressive throws—including a 75-yard touchdown to Robert Foster—with pressure bearing down on him, and winning games while surrounded by the worst supporting cast in recent memory will only boost Allen’s confidence in 2019 and beyond. Besides ignorantly putting stock in his completion percentage at Wyoming, the biggest mistake evaluators made was overlooking the mobility and intangibles of Allen, who looks like an emerging superstar.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/29/video-buffalo-bills-all-i-want-for-christmas-is-josh-allen/

Mariah Carey: All I want for Christmas is... Josh Allen (video)

Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen has captured the hearts of fans in recent weeks. So much so that a fan dropped together a brand new video on social media on Thursday.

Over Mariah Carey’s classic Christmas rendition of “All I Want For Christmas Is You,” a fan put some videos of the Bills’ rookie QB.

Worth mentioning, this version of the hit song is featuring Jacksonville Jaguars cornerback Jalen Ramsey as well.

Check it out:

Edited by transplantbillsfan

On 11/29/2018 at 8:42 PM, NoSaint said:

Fiesty come back to me noting that 8 completions isn’t a big enough sample to comment on YPC, or really much of anything.

i think you are reading insults that aren’t actually being made, sir 

If they aren't insults, they are really as close as you can get to it. I was going off of your body of work. If you are an Allen fan, you hide it well.