An NFL Rule Question About Assisting a Runner

PUNT750

I seem to remember years ago that there was a rule that prohibited offensive players from pushing a QB or RB from behind allowing him to gain extra yardage when it appeared his forward progress was stopped??  Now a QB or RB gets in the pile and 2 or 3 lineman push him forward.

Is it now legal?  They used to call a penalty or move the ball back to a spot that the officials felt the assisting began.

Thanks.

Your post and the Cleveland touchdown from yesterday reminds me of a question I had once when I was a little kid.

Theoretically could you not get a super lightweight player to get the hand off, then hoist him up and have him get carried by like 4 lineman who just sort of hold him high and behind as you slowly move down the field?  The other players would then start blocking in front and it would make it very hard to knock him down.

500px-Gama2_crop.jpg

Edited by fridge

The way I understand it, when a runner is in a pile he is not directly being assisted, so legal play. The foul occurs if the runner is running and someone pushes him from behind to give him an extra burst of speed. 

Pile= not pushing the runner directly 

No pile= aiding the runner directly, resulting in a penalty 

Whatever the rule is, it should be clarified.  I've been seeing a lot more plays this year when the pile is stopped but a couple of O line road graders push the whole mess forward. In some cases runners who were stopped at the 2 or 3 yard line end up scoring.  

It can't be fun to be in the middle of that, with both teams pushing from opposite sides.

21 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Whatever the rule is, it should be clarified.  I've been seeing a lot more plays this year when the pile is stopped but a couple of O line road graders push the whole mess forward. In some cases runners who were stopped at the 2 or 3 yard line end up scoring.  

It can't be fun to be in the middle of that, with both teams pushing from opposite sides.

I think it is. It's legal to push/shove the runner.

6 minutes ago, PUNT750 said:

WHY?  It makes no sense?  Why not run Ivory into the center of the line and then have Dawkins & Mills pull and get behind him?? 

Can’t have an ineligible man downfield?

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

Having played a little rugby in college, where this kind of "scrumming" is fundamental to the sport, I can say it's not as rough as it might appear to be.

Rugby is largely about wrapping up and driving. Less about violent collisions.

Collisions involving dynamic contrasts in direction and velocity are damaging. Like when guys wear helmets and pads and launch themselves at one another at high speeds.

***Plenty of other nifty on-pitch behaviors make rugby a painful sport, of course***