Bills vs. Jaguars All-22 Coaches Film Reviews

26CornerBlitz

6 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Subscription required for full access:

After a four-week hiatus, rookie quarterback Josh Allen returned to the field with a bang. Allen’s Bills teammates fed off of his “spark” and “electricity,” as LeSean McCoy referred to his play after the game, and it propelled them to a 24-21 win over the visiting Jacksonville Jaguars on Sunday.

Fans have even more reason to get excited about Allen considering he had the chances to put up better passing numbers in this game. If you simply scout the box score, you will miss a lot of the story, which included Bills mistakes that negated Allen’s gains. He finished 8 of 19 for 160 yards and one touchdown, while also using his mobility to extend drives and put points on the scoreboard. He rushed 13 times for 99 yards and one touchdown. Allen’s physical gifts, which Jaguars coach Doug Marrone acknowledged after the game, were on display on the Bills’ second drive of the game.

If you have the Athletic subscription, this is a great read. I read it earlier this morning. Allen made some truly remarkable throws and Daboll called a great game.

32 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I remember this play from the game and I thought he missed the crossing route too but I think this replay shows why...Benjamin does come open but it's after Bodine misses blitz and he's into Allen's throwing lane. Other Jags LBs do a good job of slowing development of clearing routes underneath which hurts timing, as Benjamin comes across the first hash those routes should have cleared out LBs from middle of field, instead they get caught in wash and Allen can't tell (an experienced vet would be able to imo) if one of them's about to jump the route. If Croom (I think? might have been Thomas) doesn't get jammed at LOS I think Allen hangs in there, takes the hit but gets the ball to Benjamin for a nice gain...imo he's not worried about the blitzer, he's hesitating because he thinks one of the LBs might be spying the middle. 

Yep, it was a clusterx$&% in the wash and Bodine and Miller are terrible together, between the two of them they are consistently making mistakes, not certain who is more responsible.  I dont think Allen did all that bad a job ion this play.

10 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

I still think part of the issue is that the LB are a little too close to LOS they get caught versus finding the open gap and filling it

Eh, they play average depth for LBs per the scheme this season, ~5 yards from the LOS. You see shallower depth when we threaten blitzes, but even on clear running downs the backers maintain their 5 yard depth. Now what you may be onto here is how the LBs read the play. One of Edmunds criticisms in scouting was that he committed too early to certain gaps and lanes where if he had just waiting an extra couple of seconds he could have read the back/QB and made a more effective play on the ball. It's hard to evaluate this without knowing the assignments of the defensive playcalling, but in general that's typically where the issues would lie. Very few LBs play more than 5 yards back from the LOS (unless they are in coverage) due to the fact that they need their point of initial contact to be as close to the LOS as possible. If you're getting initial contact 2/3 yards past the LOS you'll get gouged by the run all day.

LBs that do sit further back on occassion have top speed to be able to get to the line and make contact, but much of the gap issues are typically due to lack of patience and reads, or in the case of Sunday, more so the DL not creating effective pressure in closing off certain lanes. There were a good many holding calls missed as well that exacerbated this fact.

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Yep, it was a clusterx$&% in the wash and Bodine and Miller are terrible together, between the two of them they are consistently making mistakes, not certain who is more responsible.  I dont think Allen did all that bad a job ion this play.

It's equally both their fault - both positions need to be upgraded in the offseason. Miller has considerably regressed since his first two years and I always question why Castillo is still here...Bodine has been a serviceable Center over Groy, but again there isn't much else there to get out of them. Miller potentially still has room to develop whereas Bodine has hit his ceiling - but while Castillo is still there, might as well offload Miller. If we send Castillo packing, keep Miller for line depth and have him earn the job back if he can.

Allen certainly misses reads and holds on to the ball for too long occasionally, but for this specific play look no further than the right side of the line. Mills wasn't great Sunday either.

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Subscription required for full access:

After a four-week hiatus, rookie quarterback Josh Allen returned to the field with a bang. Allen’s Bills teammates fed off of his “spark” and “electricity,” as LeSean McCoy referred to his play after the game, and it propelled them to a 24-21 win over the visiting Jacksonville Jaguars on Sunday.

Fans have even more reason to get excited about Allen considering he had the chances to put up better passing numbers in this game. If you simply scout the box score, you will miss a lot of the story, which included Bills mistakes that negated Allen’s gains. He finished 8 of 19 for 160 yards and one touchdown, while also using his mobility to extend drives and put points on the scoreboard. He rushed 13 times for 99 yards and one touchdown. Allen’s physical gifts, which Jaguars coach Doug Marrone acknowledged after the game, were on display on the Bills’ second drive of the game.

Ha! In anticipation of the haters rebuffs to Allen’s passing yardage, I, too, totaled up the passing yards we would have had w/o the penalties and came close to this number. I didn’t post my work cuz some of the yardage was from a SECOND PENALTY IN A ROW, negating (?) the first yardage..

Fair or not, the undisciplined play reflects on McDermott & Moron (sic).