GPS told her to do it

/dev/null

A coworker who had experience as a transport truck driver said a lot of truck/ bridge height collisions were based upon the fact drivers are marginally trained and are working off standard GPS navigational aids.  There are available programs and models that take into account vertical clearances on routes, but companies are not providing them.  

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

A coworker who had experience as a transport truck driver said a lot of truck/ bridge height collisions were based upon the fact drivers are marginally trained and are working off standard GPS navigational aids.  There are available programs and models that take into account vertical clearances on routes, but companies are not providing them.  

I had one. It cost a couple hundred more than your standard consumer GPS, even though it was made by the same company. 

8 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

I had one. It cost a couple hundred more than your standard consumer GPS, even though it was made by the same company. 

When you look too at some of these bridge/truck crashes, the trailers are wedged so far under you know the driver wasn't paying attention to surroundings, just steaming away at or above the speed limit.  

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Maybe we should go into the road map business?  ?

Yes, maps do work, assumong they are current.  GPS is the gift that keeps on giving with respect to "update" features that cost $$  Chances are, the dumass on the RR track, didn't have a "current" update.  Are there any "new" RR tracks around?   See dumass!

10 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Yes, maps do work, assumong they are current.  GPS is the gift that keeps on giving with respect to "update" features that cost $$  Chances are, the dumass on the RR track, didn't have a "current" update.  Are there any "new" RR tracks around?   See dumass!

Or... GPS is accurate to 30 feet.  30 feet can put you on the tracks.

@ work... Boats, SnowBirds in fall heading South, yachts, always a few numb nutz make right turn into Lake Calumet.  Two fold.  1. The opening to right is bigger and they see ships, commercial vessels there @ the international port, deep water. Left (proper course) is narrow and has first fixed bridge (plenty of vertical clearance)  2. GPS leads them there.  Quickly 26 feet of water turns into inches when they reach opening up of Lake Cal past the weir.  Some keep on going and hopelessly run aground in their million dollar boats.  At least one or two every fall.  Doesn't happen going North in Spring, route more obvious and straight course.

When I hear them calling for bridges on VHF radio (marine radio) and don't see them in the alotted time (Ancient Chinese Secret, I don't divulge my ETA calculation methods), I give a shout out on Channel 16. A few weeks ago, a commercial tug & I hailed one such vessel. Tug seen yacht go right past him.   I watched on AiS, GoogleEarth.  Yacht had AiS. Got them turned around in time before they got hopelessly mired in the mud.

People are idiots.  They jump in a multi-million dollar boat and just "fly by the force."

LoL... I would too if I wasn't a poor slob. LoL

On 11/27/2018 at 7:05 PM, Matty the Dustmop said:

So how the hell is that trestle still standing? Seems like after all those hits its gotta be like a boxer who's a little punch drunk.

It has a solid steel beam not connected to it before the bridge and set at the same height as the bridge that the trucks hit first instead of hitting the bridge.

GPS is intentionally only accurate to like 10 meters or something like that.  So people can think they should turn when they shouldn't.  Military gets the more accurate GPS, but don't share it since it is a military advantage for them for things like targeting missiles and such.

Edited by Mark80