Cover 1: The Bills Are Changing Their Approach to the WR Position

26CornerBlitz

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Thats of course the worry. If allen looks competent next year, Daboll gets offers and you are putting the kid in a new system

halfway through the big  window of a rookie qb contract you are starting fresh again, as opposed to the continuity of an offensive head coach seeing success with a young qb

I guess one of the upsides of hiring an OC who wants to be near his family in Buffalo is that Pegula's might be able to overpay him to stay.......... like Kraft overpays to keep McDaniels.

Of course we are getting WAYYY of ourselves.........two weeks ago he was on pace to possibly produce the worst results of any NFL OC since the merger.

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I guess one of the upsides of hiring an OC who wants to be near his family in Buffalo is that Pegula's might be able to overpay him to stay.......... like Kraft overpays to keep McDaniels.

Of course we are getting WAYYY of ourselves.........two weeks ago he was on pace to possibly produce the worst results of any NFL OC since the merger.

Oh, of the reasons he wouldn’t be here, it wouldn’t be the most likely but in discussing how this team comes together ideally it’s a systematic built in risk that’s created with a defensive head coach 

37 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He didn't say it to you yet you care which seems to me makes your affront childish. They made the playoffs with a negative point differential which was great, but are they a perennial contender?  Nope! So big whoop in the end.  Crying?  :lol: It's part of the conversation as to why the receiving corps has been so poor in the last two seasons.  They have yet to effectively replace him with a deep threat that defenses are obliged to respect.  

He’s a professional.  A professional that these owners are going to pay tens of millions of dollars.  Every day is a job audition for athletes.  When they go out and do such stupid things as calling fans lives and jobs “little”, eyebrows are raised.  Obviously yours aren’t because it didn’t affect your little bubble, but it obviously affected others.  What he said and how he said it, says a lot about who Sammy Watkins, the person, is.  And now he’s on his 3rd team in 3 years and the Bills made the playoffs without him.  

So what’s your point?  That The Bills would’ve won the super bowl last year or this year if they didn’t trade Sammy, Marcel and Tyrod?  It should be, because that’s thing that could make the trades bad.  

Edit: we haven’t effectively added a deep threat.....yet.  It’s the first offseason in a rebuild in which we have 55 mill in dead cap.  The rest will addressed this season and next.  

Now bold one topic and ignore the rest

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I want a coach that's ahead of the curve. Those are the guys that win long-term in this league, the proactive ones, not the reactive. 

Is this what we're going to have to expect from these guys? Failure before they know what to aim for? 

Do you see McDermott as a coach that's going to be innovative? I've seen the guys who've won long term in this league like Belichick and Reid and they introduce new principles and wrinkles into what they do. I don't see McDermott being that kind of guy. I mean it took them a year and a half to understand how important speed is in the most successful schemes with the rules in place? The good coaches and GM's in this league started to adjust as soon as they saw what was happening with the rules, before they even played, because they could see where the league was going.

That's the kind of coach and GM I want, the ones who are part of setting the trend, not the ones who struggle to mimic them. 

You're doing EXACTLY what I said.   McDermott is halfway through second season as a HC and you're complaining that he isn't ahead the curve.  Andy Reid was 5-11 his first season as HC, and he had Donovan McNabb.  Belichick was 6-10, 7-9; 7-9 his first three seasons.  I wouldn't call any of that "a head of the curve."  

Sure, McD has made mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes.  Some look obvious to me too. But he's working and learning.  He has a defense he likes.  He certainly will go to work on the offense. It won't be perfect next season, either, but it should show us what he's trying to accomplish.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

He’s a professional.  A professional that these owners are going to pay tens of millions of dollars.  Every day is a job audition for athletes.  When they go out and do such stupid things as calling fans lives and jobs “little”, eyebrows are raised.  Obviously yours aren’t because it didn’t affect your little bubble, but it obviously affected others.  What he said and how he said it, says a lot about who Sammy Watkins, the person, is.  And now he’s on his 3rd team in 3 years and the Bills made the playoffs without him.  

So what’s your point?  That The Bills would’ve won the super bowl last year or this year if they didn’t trade Sammy, Marcel and Tyrod?  It should be, because that’s thing that could make the trades bad.  

Edit: we haven’t effectively added a deep threat.....yet.  It’s the first offseason in a rebuild in which we have 55 mill in dead cap.  The rest will addressed this season and next.  

Your posts are terrible in this thread.   Wow.

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Your posts are terrible in this thread.   Wow.

That’s of your opinion.  I’ve had this very talk with several Bills fans on several occasions.  You see things differently.  I’m not surprised.

• Haha (+1) 1

The fact the coaching staff thought it was a good idea for a rookie to throw to wrs who dont get separation is hilarious to me. Mahomes literally always has a wr 

open on a route..tyreek hill always has seperation..kelce vs a linebacker..etc..rams always have bob woods open all the time.. kupp before injured.just like he was in buffalo we just had no qb to utilize his talents..

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Best Williams Available said:

Where the heLL is Kolby Listenbee? No matter what you thought of Whaley, he appreciated speed at WR and drafted it.

True.

A great deal of the frustration of being a Bills fan in the 2000's has been the repetition of mistakes from one HC/GM to the next.

Whaley addressed the WR position in the draft because he knew he couldn't get them in free agency due to the lack of a top passing QB.

Enter McD and exit all of them......Watkins, Woods and Goodwin.

And then came the INEVITABLE stories/excuses about McBeane not being able to get WR's in FA.   No sh*t!   This is why ignorance of the law is not a defense in the legal system.?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

True.

A great deal of the frustration of being a Bills fan in the 2000's has been the repetition of mistakes from one HC/GM to the next.

Whaley addressed the WR position in the draft because he knew he couldn't get them in free agency due to the lack of a top passing QB.

Enter McD and exit all of them......Watkins, Woods and Goodwin.

And then came the INEVITABLE stories/excuses about McBeane not being able to get WR's in FA.   No sh*t!   This is why ignorance of the law is not a defense in the legal system.?

Only 982 years left in this terrible millennium ... then we can finally be good again.

1 hour ago, Best Williams Available said:

Where the heLL is Kolby Listenbee? No matter what you thought of Whaley, he appreciated speed at WR and drafted it.

He was a Pittsburgh guy - and you look at how they built that team... big qb, FAST wr in the middle rounds and a physical run game. Excellent linebackers and a solid line.. Despite missing on EJ and the parade of coaches he seemed not to get to choose.... he went a long way towards assembling that type of roster.  

Big, tall, rangy players with so-so speed, who have a wide catch radius and can out-muscle guys for the ball.

I think they used to call them Tight Ends?

In all honesty you need WRs with speed and hands who can get separation, but I don't think it is a bad idea to have the kind of receiver that is a size mismatch against DBs and safeties. That type has to have great hands and the desire to compete for the ball especially in the red zone, who can also block and seal the edge so your RB can hit some outside runs....then you have KB who plays like he is scared of getting his uniform dirty, drops balls that hit him in the hands, no compete (so does his catch radius matter), pouts, blames others for the steaming pile of effort he leaves on the field.

I don't know if it was a bad coaching idea looking for that type of a bigger receiver, or more of a failure evaluating personnel when they thought KB fit the mold. Glad to see they are at least looking to get some WRs on the field who can get separation and catch the ball.

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

He got a contract that pays him $16M per year so he's really paid the price. :rolleyes: NFL teams obviously didn't give a hoot about this non issue that you keep whining about. If you were impacted by his statement that was specifically directed at a few hecklers, then I feel sad for you. 

Super Bowl? :huh: The team wasn't good enough for that. My point is It's been almost two seasons. Maybe they finally will address the need, but it's been a major roster void since 2017 preseason and that's simply not acceptable in today's NFL with the passing game essential to success on offense.  It's one of the very reasons the offense has been so putrid in 2018 and they are finally waking up to this.

I should ignore all of it as the last time I had this much interaction with you, you were yelling about Nathan Peterman being a good change for the Bills' offense before the Chargers game in LA.  ;)

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

13 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Hilarious! Seemed to fit in just fine with LA and now KC.  Yet he was unworthy of playing with the mighty Buffalo Bills the pardigm of the league.  Yeah okay. 

Bro the dude is making 16 million a year. No matter what his talent is, he is way over paid. In 5 years has one season of 1000 yards and 28 tds. While solid numbers, not worth 16 mil. Especially when a team like KC will have to pay Kelce and Hill in the near distant future. 

22 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

That’s the silver lining here, something else to be thankful for today?—McBeane are capable of chucking their ego at the door and making necessary changes as opposed to Wrecksy who insisted on doubling down and bringing his Santa ?? impersonator brother to add another flavor of incompetence to his swan song season 

Nonsense.  I heard from reliable posters on this board that McD was married to Peterson and refused to get an annulment. 

18 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

If anyone says they knew KB would play like a practice squad player then they are lying.  

It is pretty clear that KB did not like changes between 2017 and 2018 which affected him motivation.  Is it QB change which resulted in him believing that this was a lost season?  I do not know but I am surprised he does not have an injury which puts him out for season and he just tries to get a 1 year deal next year somewhere else.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, BillsVet said:

You gotta trust the process...even when the process repeatedly changes.  How many iterations of the process have they been through after a season and a half?

Apparently the process is a living breathing document

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Nonsense.  I heard from reliable posters on this board that McD was married to Peterson and refused to get an annulment. 

It is pretty clear that KB did not like changes between 2017 and 2018 which affected him motivation.  Is it QB change which resulted in him believing that this was a lost season?  I do not know but I am surprised he does not have an injury which puts him out for season and he just tries to get a 1 year deal next year somewhere else.

Kb has shown up to camp at like 270 lbs before... with our gm and hc in attendance. Anyone that was super confident he would carry a bad group with his own motivation and Will was at best optimistic. The dude is a complimentary piece, not a cornerstone. When you lean on guys like him to be leaders in bad units, they often shrink in the moment and not grow.

kB is worse than expected but, again, for months there were a few of us saying his work ethic, and motivation were huge risks in an offense that was very likely to be ugly.

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He got a contract that pays him $16M per year so he's really paid the price. :rolleyes: NFL teams obviously didn't give a hoot about this non issue that you keep whining about. If you were impacted by his statement that was specifically directed at a few hecklers, then I feel sad for you. 

Super Bowl? :huh: The team wasn't good enough for that. My point is It's been almost two seasons. Maybe they finally will address the need, but it's been a major roster void since 2017 preseason and that's simply not acceptable in today's NFL with the passing game essential to success on offense.  It's one of the very reasons the offense has been so putrid in 2018 and they are finally waking up to this.

I should ignore all of it as the last time I had this much interaction with you, you were yelling about Nathan Peterman being a good change for the Bills' offense before the Chargers game in LA.  ;)

-One nfl team didn’t give a hoot.  

-  we got a 2nd rd pick and a player that clearly helped us make the playoffs for Sammy.  With that 2nd rd pick, we got the QB that they wanted.  We also got Edmunds because of these trades.  And Phillips.  And taron Johnson.  Without the trades,  we’d have 1 or 2 of those players.  Now we have 4 cornerstone players under contract for 4-5 years instead of paying an overpaid underperforming dareus and an always hobbled diva wr that didn’t buy in and a man corner that is about to get paid,  Yeah, terrible trade.  

-I was “yelling” that there is no way to know how good Peterman was until he played a game.  It was obvious to everyone that Tyrod wasn’t good enough to win us a super bowl.  That was proof positive after Tyrod led us to zero TDs in our first playoff appearnece in 17 years,    Why not give the unknown a shot?  We all knew Tyrod wasn’t good enough.  Some people, like you, knew that Peterman wasn’t good enough,  grats.  I didn’t know that until I saw him play.  

- if Sammy , dareus and Darby could’ve won us a super bowl in a year or two, I’d agree that the trades were bad.  We weren’t going to win a SB with them, so instead, we turned those vets with big contracts and soon to be pending FA’s and turned them into a great draft class under rookie sailers for 4-5 years,  if you can’t see why that makes sense, I don’t know what to tell you,