Cover 1: The Bills Are Changing Their Approach to the WR Position

26CornerBlitz

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They could have drafted a guy like St. Brown for example. They undervalued speed. They realized it was a mistake and have tried to correct it. 

Yup. Many mid round guys or mid tier free agents. They have taken a few shots poorly but certainly wasn’t a priority or they would’ve (hopefully) gotten it done. If they’ve truly wanted it and the best they could do was the week 1 roster- yikes. 

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lol.  Again, I just said no one expected this group to play as bad as it did, especially KB in a contract season.  Nobody felt it was some great group, but it’s also played substantially worse than even the lowest expectations.  

And once the group was struggling, they made moves to address it during the season.  You’re just obsessed with assigning blame and pointing fingers to fill negative opinions.  At some point, professionals like KB get to own their responsibility for the complete crap show they put on the field that’s way below the level they played before.  If anyone says they knew KB would play like a practice squad player then they are lying.  

Several of us hypothesized that it would be the worst in the league by a wide margin. This shouldn’t have been a shocker.

Some argued it would be above average though.

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They could have drafted a guy like St. Brown for example. They undervalued speed. They realized it was a mistake and have tried to correct it. 

St Brown has to be the most overrated 6th round pick of all time. I don't know why so many people on this board have mentioned him. Right now he has 27 more receiving yards than Foster in a significantly more productive passing offense. Was there some mock draft that had him taken in the 3rd round or something? Why is he so popular?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You're obssessed with defending all things Bills even when criticism is warranted as it is in this case. 

No I’m not, I stick to reality.  I was a realist and knew that this season was to be a step back so we could take a step forward.  I knew the offense was gonna struggle with OL change over, marginal talent on the offense, and a rookie QB.  I also knew all the moves they made were NOT about this year and the focus is building a long term contender, not to squeak into playoffs.  I also knew they had tons of dead cap on their way to completely fixing the cap.  I also knew that the defense looked promising and that next year the focus likely will be heavily on rebuilding the offense.

You seem to live in this world of delusion where all these magical savior WRs were there for the taking that somehow make us a playoff team and they just chose to purposefully not get them so we could be purposefully struggle more for their own amusement.

You see, I have patience.  FOR ONCE we aren’t looking for band aids to just squeak into playoffs.  We had to get rid of yesterday to build a new tomorrow.  And I for one love the path we are on.  The last two drafts seem very strong right now, and I look forward to what they do this offseason to help give Josh the tools he needs to succeed.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No I’m not, I stick to reality.  I was a realist and knew that this season was to be a step back so we could take a step forward.  I knew the offense was gonna struggle with OL change over, marginal talent on the offense, and a rookie QB.  I also knew all the moves they made were NOT about this year and the focus is building a long term contender, not to squeak into playoffs.  I also knew they had tons of dead cap on their way to completely fixing the cap.  I also knew that the defense looked promising and that next year the focus likely will be heavily on rebuilding the offense.

You seem to live in this world of delusion where all these magical savior WRs were there for the taking that somehow make us a playoff team and they just chose to purposefully not get them so we could be purposefully struggle more for their own amusement.

You see, I have patience.  FOR ONCE we aren’t looking for band aids to just squeak into playoffs.  We had to get rid of yesterday to build a new tomorrow.  And I for one love the path we are on.  The last two drafts seem very strong right now, and I look forward to what hey do this offseason to help give Josh the tools he needs to succeed.

Delusion is making excuses when there were opportunities to have players on the team to impact the passing game this season from the onset.  They'll have a chance to get things right, but their talent evaluation on the offensive side of the ball has been less than stellar. Everything is fine of course.  Respect the Process! 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

13 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Yup. Many mid round guys or mid tier free agents. They have taken a few shots poorly but certainly wasn’t a priority or they would’ve (hopefully) gotten it done. If they’ve truly wanted it and the best they could do was the week 1 roster- yikes. 

Several of us hypothesized that it would be the worst in the league by a wide margin. This shouldn’t have been a shocker.

Some argued it would be above average though.

No one thought KB would be a practice squad level player in a contract year.  We all know he isn’t a top 10 guy and lacks speed, but he’s been a productive starter most of his career and even pretty good at times.

Point is, you can’t fix the whole roster in one season.  They brought in young speed guys, and Foster is coming off a big game after spending time on PS.  So it’s not like they IGNORED it completely, they grabbed two first round players and got some promising young player in Tarim, Phillips and Teller.  I mean they only have so

many picks and those 3 picks were also at positions of need.

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Delusion is making excuses when there were opportunities to have players on the team to impact the passing game this season from the onset.  They'll have a chance to get things right, but their talent evaluation on the offensive side of the ball has been less than stellar. Everything is fine of course.  Respect the Process! 

Lmao...make believe chances.  Who are all these season saving, playoff making, WRs we could have had that would have made us a Super Bowl contender this year?  You see that’s the point, there were no WRs we missed out on that would have changed our season.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

St Brown has to be the most overrated 6th round pick of all time. I don't know why so many people on this board have mentioned him. Right now he has 27 more receiving yards than Foster in a significantly more productive passing offense. Was there some mock draft that had him taken in the 3rd round or something? Why is he so popular?

You asked for suggestions and I gave you one at a cheap price. He would have had a chance to play a lot here. They admitted that they didn’t value speed enough. They got together and decided that they had to have more speed. Many of us have said this for months. It was a non-negotiable to me. They’ve made an effort now to correct their mistake.

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

You’ll notice nobody pining for John Ross either. This is very much about the benefit of hindsight.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You asked for suggestions and I gave you one at a cheap price. He would have had a chance to play a lot here. They admitted that they didn’t value speed enough. They got together and decided that they had to have more speed. Many of us have said this for months. It was a non-negotiable to me. They’ve made an effort now to correct their mistake.

Foster has almost the same production and was brought in during the offseason.  So how can anyone say they ignored speed?  

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I don't know why this is a recent revelation to Beane and McDermott. 

It's not - and you know it 26CB.  Beane and McD aren't idiots.  I think you're just expressing your frustration.  Beane and McD didn't pick up the game of football just this year.   Like anyone involved in the NFL, they've known for many years that speedy players can stretch defenses.

It's a matter of weighing pros and cons.  They apparently saw more pros than cons in having KB out there instead of a speedier guy. 

KB can't get separation.  Foster can't catch.  It was a pick-your-poison situation.  But when KB started demonstrated he couldn't catch either, it made more sense to go with the speedsters.  And when that proved to be successful,  Beane and McD reevaluated how they weigh different attributes.  They're now putting more weight on speed.

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No one thought KB would be a practice squad level player in a contract year.  We all know he isn’t a top 10 guy and lacks speed, but he’s been a productive starter most of his career and even pretty good at times.

Point is, you can’t fix the whole roster in one season.  They brought in young speed guys, and Foster is coming off a big game after spending time on PS.  So it’s not like they IGNORED it completely, they grabbed two first round players and got some promising young player in Tarim, Phillips and Teller.  I mean they only have so

many picks and those 3 picks were also at positions of need.

Lmao...make believe chances.  Who are all these season saving, playoff making, WRs we could have had that would have made us a Super Bowl contender this year?  LMFAO. 

Make believe? You ignore reality to suit your own beliefs. They made choices in the draft with the trade up Edmunds with LVE and Darius Leonard available.  He may turn out to be a fine player, but they sacrificed help on offense to get him by spending extra picks.  They also could have spent in UFA for WR, but chose not to.  

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

It's not - and you know it 26CB.  Beane and McD aren't idiots.  I think you're just expressing your frustration.  Beane and McD didn't pick up the game of football just this year.   Like anyone involved in the NFL, they've known for many years that speedy players can stretch defenses.

It's a matter of weighing pros and cons.  They apparently saw more pros than cons in having KB out there instead of a speedier guy. 

KB can't get separation.  Foster can't catch.  It was a pick-your-poison situation.  But when KB started demonstrated he couldn't catch either, it made more sense to go with the speedsters.  And when that proved to be successful,  Beane and McD reevaluated how they weigh different attributes.  They're now putting more weight on speed.

Frustration?  They're the ones who talked openly about the element of speed in the last two weeks when it was it was obvious to most people that the WR position going back to the offseason was hideous and the same with respect to the OL. 

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Make believe? You ignore reality to suit your own beliefs. They made choices in the draft with the trade up Edmunds with LVE and Darius Leonard available.  He may turn out to be a fine player, but they sacrificed help on offense to get him by spending extra picks.  They also could have spent in UFA for WR, but chose not to.  

Geezus dude...how many times do I have to say this?!  They filled OTHER just as important HOLES. They can’t draft 10 first rounders.  

You would be b*tching our LBs arent good enough if they passed on Edmunds and our Lbs were struggling.  

I mean for real man, what’s your major issue with not understanding you can’t draft every position?  We had a LOT of holes and MLB was EASILY the second biggest hole after QB this past year.  And under no circumstance would I go back and take someone else other than Edmunds even right now.  He’s showing to be a guy who has the potential to be special and anchor our D for the next decade or more.  

And we have a top 5 D right now and you’re still b*tching as if those defensive moves were a mistake.  Before McD, we had one of the worst Defenses in the league.  But keep

complaining as if they didn’t do a great job turning it around FAST.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Geezus dude...how many times do I have to say this?!  They filled OTHER just as important HOLES. They can’t draft 10 first rounders.  

You woukd be b*tching our LBs arent good enough if they passed on Edmunds and our Lbs were

struggling.  

I mean for real man, what’s your major issue with not understanding you can’t draft every position?  We had a LOT of holes and MLB was EASILY the second biggest hole after QB this past year.  And under no circumstance would I go back and take someone else other than Edmunds even right now.  He’s showing to be a guy who has the potential to be special and anchor our D for the next decade our more.  

And we have a top 5 D right now and you’re still b*tching as if those defensive moves were a mistake.  Before McD, we had one of the worst Defenses in the league.  But keep

complaining as if they didn’t do a great job turning it around FAST.  

Offense is how you win in today's NFL is a sustained way. But I have to remember tghat you don't get that either. 

Michael Thomas. Mike Evans. Diggs/Thielen. Keenan Allen. All top wideouts on top 10 passing offenses who aren’t particularly fast. There’s one for every Hill and Cooks.

Point being, you need GOOD wideouts. The formula isn’t ‘small fast’, and it’s not some trend our FO wasn’t up to speed on.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Ya' know how people characterize incoming rookie QB's as more or less ready to play?

McDermott was a coach who was less ready to compete against the best coaches.

He and Beane killed a highly productive offense(best Bills offense since the second SB) by ridding it of the outside speed that helped create space for the running game.

Then it took them a year and a half to either realize or fess up to that error............and begin to put that dynamic back together.

Let's hope that the light has come on and stays on.

If by "a highly productive offence," you mean the 16th best offence in the league, then yeah, that's what they did. They caused it to drop quite a lot ... in a rebuild.

By the way, what did they do to the defence, which was ranked 19th that year? How's that going these days? You didn't mention that, for some reason.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Michael Thomas. Mike Evans. Diggs/Thielen. Keenan Allen. All top wideouts on top 10 passing offenses who aren’t particularly fast. There’s one for every Hill and Cooks.

Point being, you need GOOD wideouts. The formula isn’t ‘small fast’, and it’s not some trend our FO wasn’t up to speed on.

No one said that every WR on a team has to be blazing fast, but the element of speed must be legitimately present to open up the attack. 

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Offense is how you win in today's NFL is a sustained way. But I have to remember tghat you don't get that either. 

LMFAO.  So what magical player would you have taken at 16 instead of Edmunds that saves our season and makes us a better team than taking Edmunds?

Hint:  There isn’t one.  You like to say blanket things that have no substance behind them like they should have gone offense at 16.  Yet there isn’t anyone that we could have taken there that would have changed our offense into a good offense.  Yet Edmunds has helped our defense get into the top 5 despite all the pressure the struggling offense puts on our D every week.

#FactsMatter

Edited by Alphadawg7

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

LMFAO.  So what magical player would you have taken at 16 instead of Edmunds that saves our season and makes us a better team than taking Edmunds?

Hint:  There isn’t one.  You like to say blanket things that have no substance behind them like they should ha e gone offense at 16.  Yet there isn’t anyone that we could have taken there that would have changed our offense into a good offense.  Yet Edmunds has helped our defense get into the top 5 despite all the pressure the struggling offense puts on our D every week.

#FactsMatter

Fact! Calvin Ridley for one could have been taken there.  You don't even know what's happening in the rookie class yet you make outlandish statements.  Both Vander Esch and Leonard are performing better than Edmunds at LB. Respect the Process!

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

They tried trading up for Christian Kirk. They brought in Robert Foster. They tried to get McKenzie out of Denver twice. They have been trying to add speed all year. Of course they weren't going to fill every hole on the team in one offseason.

They also tried to sign John Brown and traded for Corey Coleman. Not easy to get a decent WR with options to sign with the Bills last offseason.