13 Killed; 18 Hurt in So. Cal. Bar Mass Shooting

Fadingpain

1 hour ago, TheElectricCompany said:

I'm just chuckling at everyone describing their gun skillz and knowledge. 

I'll be writing my representatives and telling them to prioritize ways to ensure that 12 people don't get shot when they're hanging out at a bar. 

Will you? 

It's obvious we need metal detectors and stadium like security check points when hanging out at a bar.

Or... Infringe on my constutional right to bear arms.

Simple.  No writing letters.  Tell the bar to install security.

Or... We can always infringe on people's rights.

6 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It's obvious we need metal detectors and stadium like security check points when hanging out at a bar.

Or... Infringe on my constutional right to bear arms.

Simple.  No writing letters.  Tell the bar to install security.

Or... We can always infringe on people's rights.

The bouncer was the first person shot. I guess there should have been two? 

There are no easy answers, but that doesn't mean we should shy away from it. 

Dealing with it, in my opinion, means a combination of security improvements, mental health resources, enforcement of existing laws, and yes, changes to existing firearm rules and regulations. 

The onion nailed it years ago: ‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

Edited by TheElectricCompany
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, TheElectricCompany said:

The bouncer was the first person shot. 

There are no easy answers, but that doesn't mean we should shy away from it. 

It is a combination of security improvements, mental health resources, enforcement of existing laws, and yes, changes to existing firearm rules and regulations. 

The onion nailed it years ago: ‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

I am with you.  Just being sarcastic.  Mocking the people whistling out their ass: 

Headinsand-320x190.jpg

4 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Yeah, much easier to have every building in the country fitted with metal detectors and additional security over trampling on someones right to bear arms in case they need to protect themselves from a tyrannical government while sitting in a bar/place of worship/yoga study/school.......

Actually.  It is much easier just to trample over a right.  And practical too.

Not saying I am with it AT THIS POINT.

Something which merits study and discussion is why this happens almost every day in the USA now, but happens rarely in Canada.

I mention Canada specifically because they also have a huge number of guns in their society.

Something like 10 million guns up there, or 1 for every 3 people.  Especially compared to Western Europe, that's a lot of guns.

Michael Moore attempted to address this in Bowling for Columbine, but he didn't do a very good job of it and never really reached any conclusion.

You can ask the same question about serial killers!  You would think they would occur all over the world at some type of rate consistent with population size.  

But no, the good old USA has given the world @ 67% of the known serial killers on record.   We don't make up 67% of the world's population!  

I suppose you could argue sophisticated, first world nations would have greater reports of serial killers due to better criminal justice systems, but still!  Any civilized first world nation should have roughly the same # of serial killers as any other, adjusted for population.  

5 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Something which merits study and discussion is why this happens almost every day in the USA now, but happens rarely in Canada.

I mention Canada specifically because they also have a huge number of guns in their society.

Something like 10 million guns up there, or 1 for every 3 people.  Especially compared to Western Europe, that's a lot of guns.

Michael Moore attempted to address this in Bowling for Columbine, but he didn't do a very good job of it and never really reached any conclusion.

You can ask the same question about serial killers!  You would think they would occur all over the world at some type of rate consistent with population size.  

But no, the good old USA has given the world @ 67% of the known serial killers on record.   We don't make up 67% of the world's population!  

I suppose you could argue sophisticated, first world nations would have greater reports of serial killers due to better criminal justice systems, but still!  Any civilized first world nation should have roughly the same # of serial killers as any other, adjusted for population.  

The term Serial Killers is a false. It would include gang bangers that have killed multiple gang members, drug dealers, and of course innocent little 6 year old girls that were shot in the crossfire. 

But in places like Africa, the Middle East, South America, Central America, Mexico, these types of murders/crimes aren’t classified as serial killers. It’s simply a difference of how we as a public perceive these terrible crimes. 

I worked woth with a guy when I was downstate that used to tell stories about how life is in El Salvador. He joked at the criminals here. Would constantly say things like how he had seen people murdered, had their heads cut off, burned alive, etc. But things are so bad here in the US and were the country with the highest population of incarcerated persons. 

The killers and criminals here in the US don’t even compare to 3rd world countries. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Because the Tories ran to Canada.  Our whole existence, American birthright has been built around fighting tyranny.

Rebels be rebels.

#2:  There is no God given right.  No 2nd Amendment. 

The biggest reason you don't a lot of gun violence in Canada is it takes a lot of work to become licensed to have a gun here. Here they do background checks and it takes sometimes up to a year to get your license. What makes no sense is how each state has their own laws for guns. Here in Canada its federally legislated and you're only allowed handguns, shotguns and rifles. No semi-auto is allowed. 

I think if the U.S. followed the way Canada does with getting a license it would help. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

The biggest reason you don't a lot of gun violence in Canada is it takes a lot of work to become licensed to have a gun here. Here they do background checks and it takes sometimes up to a year to get your license. What makes no sense is how each state has their own laws for guns. Here in Canada its federally legislated and you're only allowed handguns, shotguns and rifles. No semi-auto is allowed. 

I think if the U.S. followed the way Canada does with getting a license it would help. 

Canada doesn’t have the military or the self-defence views by a million miles on the US

there is no possible way we have handguns or non-hunting weapons comparable in Canada

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Canada doesn’t have the military or the self-defence views by a million miles on the US

there is no possible way we have handguns or non-hunting weapons comparable in Canada

It doesn't change the fact you need to go through a lot to be able to own a gun in Canada. Owning a gun should be the same as a car license. Its a privilege not a right. 

55 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Yeah... Because if some serious military sch it went down, the US has it's back.

It goes way back to the start, mentality of the Revolution too.

51 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

It doesn't change the fact you need to go through a lot to be able to own a gun in Canada. Owning a gun should be the same as a car license. Its a privilege not a right. 

In the US it's a Constitutional right.

4 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Maybe in your world.

Thats the way it works in Canada. Either way I still think there should more people have to go through to get a gun. It might help stop some of these mass shootings. They need to do more background checks on people who want to buy a gun. Any suspicion of mental illness and no gun for you. 

56 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Thats the way it works in Canada. Either way I still think there should more people have to go through to get a gun. It might help stop some of these mass shootings. They need to do more background checks on people who want to buy a gun. Any suspicion of mental illness and no gun for you. 

I could go to certain parts of Buffalo in the morning,afternoon,evening and get myself a firearm easier than I could a ice cream cone.

4 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

I don’t think you have any idea what you are talking about. Or you have a very uneducated view of what “Semi-auto” actually is. 

22 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

I could go to certain parts of Buffalo in the morning,afternoon,evening and get myself a firearm easier than I could a ice cream cone.

I find that very hard to believe. Unless you already have your documented information which in this case makes your argument pointless. 

5 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

Fair enough,  not sure we’d dive into it if handgun possession was less restricted

not to say it couldn’t happen here

i agree on 99 of 100 issues with US conservatives but the gun thing is the one topic I respectfully realize I won’t be compatible and that’s fine

9 hours ago, mrags said:

I don’t think you have any idea what you are talking about. Or you have a very uneducated view of what “Semi-auto” actually is. 

I find that very hard to believe. Unless you already have your documented information which in this case makes your argument pointless. 

Wasn’t there some investigative report a while back where the “journalist” brought a camera crew to a gun shop to show how scary easy it is to get a gun, only to fail the NICS check?