How does a QB deficient team pass on Mahomes/Watson

Rebel101

47 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Allen never put up Mahomes numbers this year in the MWC.  Very simplistic to just assume he could do what Mahomes is doing.

Agree Biscuit,

It is tough to assume that Allen would translate if all was reversed, it really is more of an opinion. 

We gotta look at the talent levels though between the teams I guess. 

Texas tech - KC for Mahomes

Clemson - Texans for Watson

Wyoming - Bills for Allen

Allen definitely gets the huge shank here for talent across the board (college and pros) and has 1 year less pro experience. IDK, I feel Allen would excel under Reid if faced with the exact up bringing as Mahomes under Alex Smith with the insane arsenal at his finger tips. Watching Mahomes is tough but WR's, RB's and TE's are wide open on half of Mahomes passes with mostly clean pockets. I think Allen can play at that level from what I've seen from him thus far but is pure speculation.

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Because they were about to lose their starting Pro Bowl to free agency.  So they traded down and got Tre WHite

Because they HAD a starting QB......he was not a pro bowl guy regardless of making pro bowls.....but they did have a starting guy

Because the following draft was supposed to be a QB draft.....and when you connect the dots it looks like the plan was ALWAYS to take a QB that following year

?????

I would think, in theory, superior talent evaluators would not be paying attention to the peanut gallery consensus on who is a good QB.  Or what draft has lots of QBs.  Its pretty clear Andy Reid is just better at this aspect of football than any part of the Bills braintrust that was involved when Mahomes was picked. Trading the pick and not taking Mahomes was poor judgement by the Bills.  No amount of hand waving changes the fact. The Chiefs hit a home run, on the very same pitch the Bills could have taken deep. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Augie said:

Because I wanted to and that’s what this bored is for. Why’d you open it, read it, and take the time to copy past and post it? 

Yeah but that’s a terrible reason. He was getting fired either way. It is still undetermined if Allen will be good or not. But yeah we def could have saved ourself a lot of picks 

When Augie "fixed" the spelling of the word 'board' in OP's post he might just have characterized a lot of what we read on this forum.

4 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

I would think, in theory, superior talent evaluators would not be paying attention to the peanut gallery consensus on who is a good QB.  Or what draft has lots of QBs.  Its pretty clear Andy Reid is just better at this aspect of football than any part of the Bills braintrust that was involved when Mahomes was picked. Trading the pick and not taking Mahomes was poor judgement by the Bills.  No amount of hand waving changes the fact. The Chiefs hit a home run, on the very same pitch the Bills could have taken deep. 

For what it's worth

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2707036-doug-whaley-passing-on-patrick-mahomes-rumored-to-be-final-straw-before-firing

According to Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports, the final straw for former Buffalo Bills general manager Doug Whaley came during the first round of the NFL draft on Thursday, when he traded the No. 10 selection to the Kansas City Chiefs rather than draft quarterback Patrick Mahomes.

According to that report, owner Terry Pegula "loved" Mahomes and "stumped hard" for him.

Whaley was fired by the Bills on Sunday.

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, stuvian said:

They didn't want to let Whaley make the franchise QB pick. What hurts more is that we wouldn't have had to trade up to get Mahomes as we did Allen. I'm not knocking Allen.I think he's a good pick but Mahomes is freaking Dan Marino. 

Lol at Allen was a good pick. I want to be wrong, I'm trying to be wrong. But I've seen nothing.

His best pass sailed 5 yards out of bounds to Foster in his first preseason game. The hurdle was cool....

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

The “they would have sucked here” argument is probably the worst take ever.  Watson and  Mahomes are already outstanding NFL QBs.  There is absolutely no reason to believe that either is going to regress. Meanwhile, we have the worst qb situation in the league, by far.  And we should just shut up about it?

We do not have the worst QB situation in the league.  You're just someone who isn't willing to give Allen a chance if you have reached this conclusion.  

We have a 1st round QB who is learning on the job and most people can expect him to get better.  The other 2 QBs won't be here next year, but since we have the QB of the future on the team, we are much better off than teams with no future at QB.

Let's look at the 2 worst QB situations in the league:

#1 NY Giants: They're starting an over the hill Eli Manning who will be gone in a year or 2.  His main backup is a past Bills reject Alex Tanney, now on his 9th NFL team, after being cut more times than Nicole Simpson.  The 3rd stringer is a 4th round rookie who nobody knows what to expect out of.  They have no present & no future.  

#2 Jacksonville: Blake Bortles was benched last week & replaced by Browns reject Cody Kessler.  Those are the only 2 QBs they have & Bortles is a major drain on their cap.  Definitely a worse situation than the Bills with Allen.  

18 minutes ago, mannc said:

The “they would have sucked here” argument is probably the worst take ever.  Watson and  Mahomes are already outstanding NFL QBs.  There is absolutely no reason to believe that either is going to regress. Meanwhile, we have the worst qb situation in the league, by far.  And we should just shut up about it?

It makes no sense with Watson. He has Hopkins, other than that, that offense around him is not much better than what the Bills have had around Allen. Now Hopkins is great, but Watson has been getting killed since he came in the league behind that line. And he has always looked way better than Allen.

Ownership mistakes and structural incompetence. If the Pegulas had cleaned house properly, hired a GM then a HC, the Bills QB situation may have been fixed. Rex being brought in to run his 3-4 defense thereby dismantling an existing ( and good) 4-3 was probably the first mistake. It’s old news now, and rumors about Whaley being the one who passed on Mahomes don’t matter much. The entire situation stems from the stumbles of ownership. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Albany,n.y. said:

We do not have the worst QB situation in the league.  You're just someone who isn't willing to give Allen a chance if you have reached this conclusion.  

We have a 1st round QB who is learning on the job and most people can expect him to get better.  The other 2 QBs won't be here next year, but since we have the QB of the future on the team, we are much better off than teams with no future at QB.

#1 NY Giants: They're starting an over the hill Eli Manning who will be gone in a year or 2.  His main backup is a past Bills reject Alex Tanney, now on his 9th NFL team, after being cut more times than Nicole Simpson.  The 3rd stringer is a 4th round rookie who nobody knows what to expect out of.  They have no present & no future.  

#2 Jacksonville: Blake Bortles was benched last week & replaced by Browns reject Cody Kessler.  Those are the only 2 QBs they have & Bortles is a major drain on their cap.  Definitely a worse situation than the Bills with Allen.  

Eli Manning and Blake Bortles would unquestionably start here. They're better than Allen, Anderson, and Peterman. Even as bad as Manning and Bortles have been.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Eli and Blake are both superior to anything in our roster.  Allen gets more time but he is off to a worst start to his career than EJ Manuel.  Just think about that.

13 hours ago, Rebel101 said:

I just don’t understand how this happened. I know I am beating a dead horse. But honestly I thought drafts are about best player available/ filling a team need at the same time. Is it really possible that McDermott didn’t think either were NFL caliber players? I just don’t see how if he thought they were franchise QBs how he could pass on either. The Chiefs has a starting QB and traded up. This really makes me question his talent evaluation on offense. And makes me worry about Josh Allen. Who basically came out rawer and way less accomplished then either QB he passed on. Has he ever been asked this question? And if so, what was his answer? Is his only excuse is he didn’t have a GM? I mean if he did see them as franchise QBs how could you pass on adding the corner stone of your team for years to come? Not making that pick forces us to waste a lot of future picks, and is the reason we are in a complete rebuild. Getting Mahomes/Watson that year changes everything. We’d still have Glenn and Dawkins which together gives our OLine a great start.  Would have been able to fill the middle in FA and draft. And used the 2018 offseason to offense and a few defense through the draft. This was a huge blunder by McDermott and is the reason we are in a complete tear down and build process. I feel like McBeane did this to guarantee their jobs for as many years as possible. I say this “PROCESS” gives them a minimum of 4 years of a having guaranteed job

We would of started Mahomes right away and ruined him. Plus we don't have the play calling brilliance that Andy Reid has. It was a perfect storm for success in KC and Mahomes is tearing the league up and has great weapons to throw to plus a great RB. I don't think he would have any where near the success in Buffalo.

That being said I'm a huge Mahomes fan since College and wanted him badly.

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Eli and Blake are both superior to anything in our roster.  Allen gets more time but he is off to a worst start to his career than EJ Manuel.  Just think about that.

Eli is done, you can't go by his past.  Bortles was benched for Cody Kessler-hello.  Allen is no worse than EJ was-your bias is showing. 

3 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Do you really believe that crap? 

I don't know what to believe honestly. 

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Ownership mistakes and structural incompetence. If the Pegulas had cleaned house properly, hired a GM then a HC, the Bills QB situation may have been fixed. Rex being brought in to run his 3-4 defense thereby dismantling an existing ( and good) 4-3 was probably the first mistake. It’s old news now, and rumors about Whaley being the one who passed on Mahomes don’t matter much. The entire situation stems from the stumbles of ownership. 

Based off what Boat is saying here mixes everything up as I agree with him.

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

It makes no sense with Watson. He has Hopkins, other than that, that offense around him is not much better than what the Bills have had around Allen. Now Hopkins is great, but Watson has been getting killed since he came in the league behind that line. And he has always looked way better than Allen.

He’s going to be a great QB if he can stay in one piece.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

We are about to trot out an injured Derek Anderson for a Monday Night game against New England, and Nate Peterman is the backup.  That might be as bad as any tandem in NFL history.

3 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I think Watson would look marginally better than JA in Buffalo.

There is absolutely no basis for this view.  Watson looks outstanding behind an O-line that’s worse than ours.

Edited by mannc
  • Haha (+1) 1