Well, here's a polarizing article!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, he's not that type of person at all. 

I know him and while I don't agree with everthing he says, I do respect his ability to say it.  Sometimes I think he's right and other times I disagree with him.  He's not some perfect know it all but by the same token, he's not the devil's spawn either.

283435[/snapback]

Like I said, I'm only judging by my own personal experiences with him. The e-mail exchange was not cordial, and neither was he.

I can disagree with someone's article, but can also respect the ability to say it. There are plenty of journalists I disagree with but still respect their ability.

He has precious little ability from a journalistic or editorial standpoint. Refering to a starting QB as "humpty" isn't professional or worthy of respect. Referring to Donahoe as "Commander Tom" is neither witty or worthy of respect. Utilizing three question marks (???) in an article is a grammar school no-no.

He may not be the devil's spawn, but the only interactions that I've had with him both in reading his "articles" and via e-mail show me that he is.

Notice how he doesn't write about good players. Ever. He can't.

283434[/snapback]

That's how I found it curious that, with the pro-bowl players we had, Lee Evans breaking out, Willis breaking out, even Brian Moorman producing, the one guy he spared from his wrath was Mike Williams.

I know him and while I don't agree with everthing he says, I do respect his ability to say it.  Sometimes I think he's right and other times I disagree with him.  He's not some perfect know it all but by the same token, he's not the devil's spawn either.

283435[/snapback]

Reading the linked article I'm reminded of a "writer" who pollutes the LA Times sports pages named T.J. Simers. Simers is a talentless jackass who chooses controversy over content and somehow holds a job down while giving no sign of grasping even the most minute understanding of the sports he reports on.

Well, I think Weiler is fairly negative, on a regular basis. But, like Jerry Sullivan, I don't think he is always wrong about everything...anyone who follows the Bills closely can't feel great about the way things have gone so far this off-season. I disagree with him, however, in that the off-season has been a total loss. It is still not over, by a long shot. I am certain that something, other than the draft, will be done to address what is a frightening situation with the O-line...

My biggest disappointment, and where I will agree with Weiler, is that it is hard to imagine, at this point, this team doing any better than it did last year, as it is currently made up. Last season, despite the slow start, and the sub-par performance by the starting QB, was a very encouraging sign that the team was finally getting better. Sure, they had an easy schedule, but one key component to any succesful NFL season, is that a team establish the fact that they can regularly beat teams that they should beat. The 2004 Bills did that, after week 6.

I am not feeling so confident that the 2005 team will pick up where the 2004 left off, in terms of improving...still looking forward to the season, I just have more concerns about them, than I was expecting to have at the end of the past season...

Like I said, I'm only judging by my own personal experiences with him. The e-mail exchange was not cordial, and neither was he.

I can disagree with someone's article, but can also respect the ability to say it. There are plenty of journalists I disagree with but still respect their ability.

He has precious little ability from a journalistic or editorial standpoint. Refering to a starting QB as "humpty" isn't professional or worthy of respect. Referring to Donahoe as "Commander Tom" is neither witty or worthy of respect. Utilizing three question marks (???) in an article is a grammar school no-no.

He may not be the devil's spawn, but the only interactions that I've had with him both in reading his "articles" and via e-mail show me that he is.

283444[/snapback]

I certainly see how you have that view of him from your description of how he responded to you. I would only ask was there any attempt to provoke him in your original email? Lots of people come at him w/plenty of venom, but are shocked when he responds the same way. About his derogatory terms for certain people, that's one thing I certainly don't always agree with. There are times I find it amusing, but other times when it gets repetitive and puts him in a bad light (like a person on an agenda with an ax to grind). There are times he probably should take the high road and not get into it w/people, but he is his own person and can do what he wants.

283435[/snapback]

Well Rich....after reading that article you could have fooled me....I will really hate him for the next 5 minutes are so.....

:blink:

Weiler still thinks the Bills should have gone another year with Rob Johnson.

Enough Said.

283460[/snapback]

Actually, I bet there are a fair number of Bledsoe detractors, who would think, in retrospect, we would have been better off going with RJ for another year....

Reading the linked article I'm reminded of a "writer" who pollutes the LA Times sports pages named T.J. Simers. Simers is a talentless jackass who chooses controversy over content and somehow holds a job down while giving no sign of grasping even the most minute understanding of the sports he reports on.

283451[/snapback]

Freakin' Simers is such a moron that I'm astounded he still has a job. He was one of the reasons I dumped that rag. Your description of him is put perfectly to a tee. He's a fuggin' hack at a newspaper that puts no value on sports.

Well Rich....after reading that article you could have fooled me....I will really hate him for the next 5 minutes are so.....

:blink:

283462[/snapback]

Haha!! You know you shouldn't hate, John.

I've come to realize over the years, especially in my dealings w/sports fans, not to judge them without knowing them. If I were to do that, there'd be many from this board I would have nothing to do with, and I'm sure it works the other way too. I take everyone, warts and all. Whether you like Bledsoe, Flutie, RJ, whatever. As long as we get along and you don't do anything negative to me or my family/friends, it's fine. Mark knows we don't agree 100% on everything, yet we can still talk or occasionally hang out together without arguing about our differences.

Freakin' Simers is such a moron that I'm astounded he still has a job. He was one of the reasons I dumped that rag. Your description of him is put perfectly to a tee. He's a fuggin' hack at a newspaper that puts no value on sports.

283473[/snapback]

And the shame is that his column appears in the spot that was at one time perhaps the greatest sports column in the country, "Notes On A Scorecard" by Alan Malamud. Alan lived and breathed local and national sports from the ponies to boxing and all the majors. He made the LA Times a non-contender when he was with the Herald Examiner, unfortunately only to be consumed by the Times where he landed writing the same column in the same spot- the sacred Page Two.

It's not overstating it to say that Simers column is sacriligeous based upon the incredible work done in that section of the sports page just a decade ago.

]

And the shame is that his column appears in the spot that was at one time perhaps the greatest sports column in the country, "Notes On A Scorecard" by Alan Malamud. Alan lived and breathed local and national sports from the ponies to boxing and all the majors. He made the LA Times a non-contender when he was with the Herald Examiner, unfortunately only to be consumed by the Times where he landed wrighting the same column in the same spot- the sacred Page Two.

It's not overstating it to say that Simers column is sacriligeous based upon the incredible work done in that section of the sports page just a decade ago.

283504[/snapback]

Absolutely correct. To give Simers that Page 2 slot is just embarrassing. I remember he used to be so disrespectful towards Flutie when he was throwing for us, too. (He should know that only Bills fans can be disrespectful towards our own quarterbacks.)

Once the Times ran the Groping Arnold story two days before the recall election, that was it for me. Piece of crap pub...

Haha!!  You know you shouldn't hate, John.

I've come to realize over the years, especially in my dealings w/sports fans, not to judge them without knowing them.  If I were to do that, there'd be many from this board I would have nothing to do with, and I'm sure it works the other way too.  I take everyone, warts and all.  Whether you like Bledsoe, Flutie, RJ, whatever.  As long as we get along and you don't do anything negative to me or my family/friends, it's fine.  Mark knows we don't agree 100% on everything, yet we can still talk or occasionally hang out together without arguing about our differences.

283476[/snapback]

Well.....slap him with a dead trout the next time you see him for me.... :blink:

R Rich, I love ya and respect your relationship w/ Weiler but I can't stand the guy, and I've given the guy more than a fair amount of chances both via his articles and Radio show he was hosting. To me he is nothing more than a horse beater masked by attempts at witty dialog.

R Rich, I love ya and respect your relationship w/ Weiler but I can't stand the guy, and I've given the guy more than a fair amount of chances both via his articles and Radio show he was hosting. To me he is nothing more than a horse beater masked by attempts at witty dialog.

283529[/snapback]

Like I said before, we don't always agree, but that doesn't stop me from being friends with the guy.

I'll give him an extra slap with the trout for you.

Why would you want to get into the first round of THIS draft?  By all accounts, this is the weakest draft in recent history.

283367[/snapback]

Not sure where you're reading this, but that's not according to many.

Sometimes I wonder where some people get their info. From what I've read this draft is so deep with OL especially guards that we have a great shot at getting one in the seocnd round even later.

RBs are suppposed to be pelentiful too.

Was it the o-line or drew bledsoe that sucked? Apparetly for the drew haters it was drew. But now all the drew haters are saying donahoe sucks because we lost ONE player on the o-line.

283410[/snapback]

It's not like it could have been both.

DOH