Democratic 2020 Presidential Primary Thread

snafu

10 hours ago, RealKayAdams said:

Hi Bill,

I have some free time tonight, so I will try to answer all your questions.

I think the establishment Dems pander to progressives only in a very selective way. When it comes to most issues of civil liberties, I think they do a good job of giving us what we want and going to battle for us in promoting these positions. However, curiously enough when it comes to issues like social welfare programs or Wall Street regulations or progressive tax codes at the very high limit or the military-industrial complex or foreign policy or the environment, I don’t think they come even close to compromising with us. Keep in mind I am referring to how politicians actually vote and govern, not to what they say behind microphones. The reason for this discrepancy of support between issues? As you have probably figured out by now from my rants, my opinion is that it comes down solely to their corporate donors and how these politicians themselves benefit financially from these particular policy stances.

Maybe you know a lot more about Cuomo than I do right now? I kind of stopped following him so closely since his days battling Cynthia Nixon. If he’s been pivoting more toward true progressive ideas, that is news to me and might actually make him an even more salable alternative to Biden at the convention. He’s connected to the Kennedy dynasty, too, which gives him a lot of cachet with low information voters. Oh yeah, here’s a fun fact for y’all: his dad Mario (a Bills fan, BTW) was a big national name back in 1988 and was the leading candidate to replace Jessie Jackson at the national convention if Dukakis couldn’t finish off Jackson during the primaries. History possibly repeating itself, in a way???

I would have liked the Democratic Party to have moved away from Obama and Bill Clinton and gone back to their FDR and LBJ roots. This sounds too radical to many message board readers here, but it’s not seen as remotely radical to Millenials (my people!), Generation Z, and citizens of modern Western democratic countries. I’m also somewhat to the political right of your stereotypical Bernie supporter on a number of issues like PC culture, second amendment, late-term abortion, Russiagate, Ukrainegate, border control, and nuclear energy. I’m also to the extreme left of them on a select few issues like the drug war, animal rights, and many aspects of environmental protections. As you can see, choosing a political party to belong to isn’t as simple for me as it is for others. That’s also probably why it’s easier for me to quit the Dems than it is for other Bernie supporters.

Overall, I do still think of Bernie Sanders as an honest politician and a good person. I have no regrets volunteering for his campaign this past year. At the national level, I think history will view him more as an influential political iconoclast like Eugene Debs than just another presidential candidate has-been like George McGovern. I don’t think Bernie ever had the killer political instincts to defeat the party establishment and become president like Trump did. Bernie listened to a lot of bad advice from certain campaign insiders and did not do a good job of sifting through the typical ideological purity test nonsense that progressives tend to engage in so to unite the different factions of the movement. One example: I have insider knowledge that a certain high-up campaign manager personally dislikes Tulsi Gabbard and pressured Bernie to reject her endorsement because she is seen as too far-right for the movement…a bunch of high school mean girls nonsense that Bernie didn’t quell.

I hope any of this was remotely interesting to anyone? Yikes I type too much…

I would caution as to how much enthusiasm should be thrown to any one candidate especially if they do get elected President.  For me Trump has been for the most part a happy accident but I do not want to elevate his stature to the level of deity.  While FDR and LBJ had laudable ideas they certainly had flaws as politicians.  FDR had a hawkish streak going way back to his time as undersecretary for the US Navy during WWI.  From what history I studied at Cornell it is possible that while FDR did not know of a specific planned action against the US by Japan he did know how to elicit a certain attitude which might lead to war in ordering the US Pacific Fleet from San Diego to Hawaii.  He certainly was made aware of Japan's irritation via US Ambassador to Japan Joseph Grew.  

• Like (+1) 1

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@RealKayAdams 90% of Greens were defectors to Bernie 2016 while less than half believed his lies 2019 and today....because they rarely search voting records in office like you& I myself do. ..BernieBOTs go by speeches of Sanders ignoring facts like F35s flying out of Vermont one billion dollars each.....if USA votes by mail during an epidemic of deadly numbers 100 thousand could be dead by November WWW.HOWIEHAWKINS.US peace through Green jobs has a fair chance like Lincoln did to defeat 3 other parties 1860 .....while slavery is not coronovirus of any number ID, the trillions of dollars bailing out polluting corporations is a haunting tax upon future generations like a mortgage on a house than cannot be repaid in full by great grandchildren.....if USA switches to hydrogen and electric vehicles trains & a Green Grid, the economy will grow like Ike did with Interstate highways and planes replaced trains

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

Most Wisconsin voters don’t want the Democratic convention in Milwaukee anymore because of coronavirus: poll

by Paul Steinhauser

Original Article

Biden says Democratic convention should be postponed until August

Reuters, by Jason Lange

Original Article

What, does he think he'll grow a brain by then? 

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, B-Man said:

SURE. WHY NOT? THE PERSON WE WANT ONE OF JOE BIDEN’S HEARTBEATS AWAY FROM THE PRESIDENCY IS THE IDIOT WHO TRIED TO PRACTICE MEDICINE WITHOUT A LICENSE AND FORBID DOCTORS FROM USING LIFE SAVING TREATMENTS BECAUSE ORANGE MAN BAD!  

Gretchen Whitmer: Possible VP Pick, Derping Loon.

I wonder what specific law/regulation gives her the right?  I suspect many of these edicts would lose in court if challenged.  Any legal experts have a POV?

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 10:38 PM, RealKayAdams said:

I’m also somewhat to the political right of your stereotypical Bernie supporter on a number of issues like PC culture, second amendment, late-term abortion, Russiagate, Ukrainegate, border control, and nuclear energy. I’m also to the extreme left of them on a select few issues like the drug war, animal rights, and many aspects of environmental protections. As you can see, choosing a political party to belong to isn’t as simple for me as it is for others. That’s also probably why it’s easier for me to quit the Dems than it is for other Bernie supporters.

I must say that it is rather refreshing (and quite the oddity) to see someone who leans left to have such an open mind.

Be well and stay healthy!

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

And the Ds are sticking with Joey-B? I always wonder about internal polling. Is this lock down killing Trump's reelection chances? Is Joey Fingers a possibility (that would be scary as hell)?

I have some contact with a handful of the campaign team in CA and in DC. Internal polling from Team Trump is still through the roof as of Saturday. Joe's numbers (from Trump's team's data) has slipped 7+ points in WI, FL, PA and MI. Again, even Michigan. That means Trump is running close to 7-10 points up on Joe in all those states at present. They feel very confident still.  

Those thousands of people filling up arenas every week prior to this are still there. Sitting back, watching, and growing stronger the more the media and the DNC play themselves on the national stage. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1