Hurricane Michael

T&C

Hurricane Michael Forecast to Intensify and Bring a Dangerous Threat of Storm Surge, Damaging Winds to Florida's Panhandle

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/2018-10-08-hurricane-michael-forecast-gulf-coast-florida

At a Glance

Michael is forecast to intensify as it tracks into the Gulf of Mexico.

Michael will threaten the northeastern Gulf Coast by Wednesday, potentially as a major hurricane.

Storm surge, damaging winds and heavy rain are likely impacts along the northeastern Gulf Coast.

Hurricane watches and storm surge watches have been issued along Florida's Panhandle.

Heavy rain and strong winds will spread farther inland across parts of the Southeast after landfall.

Hurricane Michael will continue to intensify and is forecast to strike Florida's Panhandle as a Category 3 with dangerous storm surge flooding, destructive winds and flooding rainfall. Michael will also bring heavy rain and strong winds to other parts of the Southeast after it moves inland.

Michael is currently centered about 20 miles southwest of the western tip of Cuba and is moving north.

515ed4fd-bca3-4b72-aacd-2effd5791462-VPC

I'm sitting right in it's path. with the water being so warm in the gulf this should intensify quite a bit in the next 48 hrs.

hunker down

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, no name said:

Hurricane Michael Forecast to Intensify and Bring a Dangerous Threat of Storm Surge, Damaging Winds to Florida's Panhandle

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/2018-10-08-hurricane-michael-forecast-gulf-coast-florida

At a Glance

Michael is forecast to intensify as it tracks into the Gulf of Mexico.

Michael will threaten the northeastern Gulf Coast by Wednesday, potentially as a major hurricane.

Storm surge, damaging winds and heavy rain are likely impacts along the northeastern Gulf Coast.

Hurricane watches and storm surge watches have been issued along Florida's Panhandle.

Heavy rain and strong winds will spread farther inland across parts of the Southeast after landfall.

Hurricane Michael will continue to intensify and is forecast to strike Florida's Panhandle as a Category 3 with dangerous storm surge flooding, destructive winds and flooding rainfall. Michael will also bring heavy rain and strong winds to other parts of the Southeast after it moves inland.

Michael is currently centered about 20 miles southwest of the western tip of Cuba and is moving north.

515ed4fd-bca3-4b72-aacd-2effd5791462-VPC

I'm sitting right in it's path. with the water being so warm in the gulf this should intensify quite a bit in the next 48 hrs.

hunker down

Yow. What town/city do you live in? I'm just east of Tampa and to be honest I'm glad this mofo is going somewhere's else this go around... I'm still cleaning up from Irma last Sept.

It appears that the current track has shifted "slightly" to the west... forward speed has increased to 9mph so that is a good thing. On the other hand, this will really hamper the Carolina's... they don't need any more big rain.

lg_aatrack.jpg

As someone who lost everything in Hurricane Sandy years back hurricanes are nice laughing matter, every one of them is unique and you never know what they will do. Just b.c you got a tail end of a hurricane and it didnt seem bad is no reason to make fun.

I spent 3 decades in prime hurricane territory. I fully respect them, but won’t get too worked up about a relatively fast moving Cat 3. It’s a few rainy days, from my experience. Losing power (mostly cable and AC) is the worst we ever got. Now, if you get a Cat 4-5, run like hell! SERIOUSLY! 

5 hours ago, T&C said:

Yow. What town/city do you live in? I'm just east of Tampa and to be honest I'm glad this mofo is going somewhere's else this go around... I'm still cleaning up from Irma last Sept.

Being on the East side of one of these can be very problematic.  That's where the winds and tornado activity can be heaviest.

1 hour ago, no name said:

why do you say that?

between the media hyping up a 5mph wind and telling us every 5 years that the end is nigh (currently 2032, i think) I just have found I don't give a damn what they're saying.  hurricanes are great for ratings.  we don't see that much surrounding forest fires, tornadoes, etc., but it happens, too.  it sells.  

next up:

if you live in an area where hurricanes are prevalent then its on you to mitigate the downsides.  insurance, preparation, and the opportunity to make smart decisions.  if you live in a coastal city in the tropical regions you're probably going to get hit by a hurricane.   don't ask for pity because you were too stupid to leave your home, didn't prep your home, or had your home broken in to while you fled.  if you live in Miami, New Orleans, Charleston, VAB, Houston, etc. and don't know how to prepare for something like this.

hurricanes are a yawn because i prepare for them, i've been through them, and i know how to take care of myself like a capable adult.

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

I have no idea why that person would say that.

I don't know if he/she is trying to be funny or what not.

well, read above.

31 minutes ago, Augie said:

I spent 3 decades in prime hurricane territory. I fully respect them, but won’t get too worked up about a relatively fast moving Cat 3. It’s a few rainy days, from my experience. Losing power (mostly cable and AC) is the worst we ever got. Now, if you get a Cat 4-5, run like hell! SERIOUSLY! 

this is honest.

and those serious cat 4 and cat 5 are not that frequent or serious that one should truly live their life in concern.  and if they do, they need to move from hurricane country.

19 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

between the media hyping up a 5mph wind and telling us every 5 years that the end is nigh (currently 2032, i think) I just have found I don't give a damn what they're saying.  hurricanes are great for ratings.  we don't see that much surrounding forest fires, tornadoes, etc., but it happens, too.  it sells.  

I don't pay a lot of attention to media. read some to keep up on where/when it may come through. weather channel mainly. I'm not one easily absorbed to the hype from the media.

19 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

next up:

if you live in an area where hurricanes are prevalent then its on you to mitigate the downsides.  insurance, preparation, and the opportunity to make smart decisions.  if you live in a coastal city in the tropical regions you're probably going to get hit by a hurricane.   don't ask for pity because you were too stupid to leave your home, didn't prep your home, or had your home broken in to while you fled.  if you live in Miami, New Orleans, Charleston, VAB, Houston, etc. and don't know how to prepare for something like this.

all of the above for the most part is common sense. I've rode out many hurricanes, tornadoes, snow storms, the whole 9. I do believe this one may pick up some and bring with it some damage. as long as lives are not lost, materiel things can be replaced.

no worries mac, we're good, just asking.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, gatorbait said:

You’re completely ignorant and wrong like usual. 150+ mph winds would destroy your farm/trailer and ruin your livelihood. 

Thanks.

Was this response worth your time?  Congratulations, get a hobby or click on another url and get some lotion.

Edited by Boyst62

13 minutes ago, gatorbait said:

Says the guy who lives a hundred miles inland. Live on the coast and sit through a 4 or 5 and I bet you’ll change your mind. 

I could hear and/or see boats for almost 30 years in the southeast (SC and FL). If it’s a Cat 4-5 I’m getting out of dodge! Less than that, I probably sit it out, but it can get very unpleasant. Unfortunately, the media makes a big deal out of the small stuff, and people loss sight of the reality of these storms. 

Just now, Augie said:

I could hear and/or see boats for almost 30 years in the southeast (SC and FL). If it’s a Cat 4-5 I’m getting out of dodge! Less than that, I probably sit it out, but it can get very unpleasant. Unfortunately, the media makes a big deal out of the small stuff, and people loss sight of the reality of these storms. 

Forgive Gatorbait. He is a troll that has nothing to offer. You'll waste your time. 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’ve lived on the eastern coast of Florida my whole life. You are 100% accurate about anything over a 3.

1 minute ago, Boyst62 said:

Forgive Gatorbait. He is a troll that has nothing to offer. You'll waste your time. 

Well, if you get stomped on one time, you can change your views on things. I know I got lucky more than once. Charley was small, but strong enough to do some serious damage. Another 40 miles north and I might feel differently.  It’s a crap shoot, but we usually played the odds. 

4 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

6 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Thanks.

Was this response worth your time?  Congratulations, get a hobby or click on another url and get some lotion.

Calling out your ignorance is one of my hobbies.

34 minutes ago, T&C said:

A thread about a hurricane has turned into a **** fest... nice. I've looked around here for years and "I understand".

I’m sorry, but I’m politely asking what you’re talking about? What does this mean

1 hour ago, /dev/null said:

I hope this one doesn't make a "Crazy Ivan"

at200409.gif&f=1

Florida Pan handle, up the eastern seaboard, back out to sea over virginia, loop back around, hits southern florida, back out to sea, for Texas/Louisiana

"Q"????

Everyone locally was losing their collective minds at the grocery store, wife went there yesterday for cold cuts for lunches and the place was an asylum.   people fighting over water.....you think they would know the freaking drill by now, it's not like this is the first one.   you do hurricane  prep in May...not October.    Googans.

42 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Everyone locally was losing their collective minds at the grocery store, wife went there yesterday for cold cuts for lunches and the place was an asylum.   people fighting over water.....you think they would know the freaking drill by now, it's not like this is the first one.   you do hurricane  prep in May...not October.    Googans.

Welcome to hysteria driven by the media.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Welcome to hysteria driven by the media.

it's like that every single time, we're not even in the path of this storm, i'm in the central part of FL not the panhandle.   But again, all these people losing their minds....you KNEW it was hurricane season, you KNEW you needed a few bottles of water and some canned goods back in May.   And yet they continue to put things off til the last minute.  Meanwhile I'm over here, canned goods, check, water, check, 3 full propane tanks...check.   

26 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Overkill?

I only bought 2.   One was a gift from Ace Hardware for some terrible customer service, and one was from a grill i purchased on craigslist about 6 months ago.    So I actually had 4 but one of them was older than 10 years old so I just gave it back when I went to fill the other ones up.  

I originally had 2 one for the turkey fryer and one for the grill and really that was more than I ever have needed.  but it's nice to have 3 :D 

10 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I only bought 2.   One was a gift from Ace Hardware for some terrible customer service, and one was from a grill i purchased on craigslist about 6 months ago.    So I actually had 4 but one of them was older than 10 years old so I just gave it back when I went to fill the other ones up.  

I originally had 2 one for the turkey fryer and one for the grill and really that was more than I ever have needed.  but it's nice to have 3 :D 

Time for a block party after Mike fizzles out.

• Thank you (+1) 1