Looks like no comp picks this year

Was checking out KFFL and going through all the comp picks teams were awarded this year. It doesn't say it's a complete list, but it looks like the NFL has announced all the comp awards and the Bills were not amongst them. Not sure how they're figured, but there seemed to be a lot of 3rd rounders being given away! Oh well :lol:

How did New England get two picks? Who did they lose in free agency? I know they signed Dillon... If they're such a "team of nobody's who just win as a team," and then they sign a pro-bowl running back, I don't get how they receive two picks.

And Philly gets three? What the hell, isn't Owens considered a good WR?

I'd like to see how their process really works because it seems pretty arbitrary to me.

CW

For those too tired to click...

"Under terms of the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement, a team losing more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in a year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks.

The number of picks a team receives equals the net loss of compensatory free agents up to a maximum of four. The 32 compensatory choices supplement the 223 choices in the seven rounds of the 2005 NFL Draft (April 23-24).

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. The NFL Management Council developed the formula and not every free agent lost or signed by a club is covered by this formula.

Since 1993, the first year that compensatory draft choices were awarded, the Bills have been awarded 20 compensatory draft picks. Only Dallas (25), Green Bay (22), and Philadelphia (21) have been granted more compensatory picks during this 13-year span."

We haven't done that badly now have we?

Thing is compensatory picks are an indicator that your team's talent is trending towards getting weaker. Frankly to get 4 picks every year would not be a good thing. IMHO.

How did New England get two picks?  Who did they lose in free agency?  I know they signed Dillon...  If they're such a "team of nobody's who just win as a team," and then they sign a pro-bowl running back, I don't get how they receive two picks.

And Philly gets three?  What the hell, isn't Owens considered a good WR?

I'd like to see how their process really works because it seems pretty arbitrary to me.

CW

282941[/snapback]

They lost their center, Woody. Forget who else, tho.

They lost their center, Woody. Forget who else, tho.

282959[/snapback]

Right, but they got Dillon... That's a wash at the very least... I don't see why they get two picks is all. *shrug*

CW

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8314832

heres the list of all the picks given out, what round they are, and then it lists all of the players lost by the franchises...

philly got 4 picks, the most, and NE got 3...

282985[/snapback]

Good link. I forgot that the Patriots traded for Dillon (and that the Eagles did the same with Owens). That explains a lot more.

CW

How did New England get two picks?  Who did they lose in free agency?

NEW ENGLAND Lost: Mike Compton, Bobby Hamilton, Ted Washington, Damien Woody. Signed: Keith Traylor.

Four guys who opened the 2003 season as starters.

I know they signed Dillon...  If they're such a "team of nobody's who just win as a team," and then they sign a pro-bowl running back, I don't get how they receive two picks.

They traded for Dillon. Compensatory picks are awarded only on the basis of UFA movement.

And Philly gets three?  What the hell, isn't Owens considered a good WR?

Again, Philadelphia traded for Owens.

I'd like to see how their process really works...

You're welcome.

You're welcome.

And you wonder why people call you a Patsie-troll; if you learned how to read an entire thread before spouting off, you'd realize that I answered my own question nearly 20 minutes before you posted. :D

:lol:

CW

And you wonder why people call you a Patsie-troll

I do? :lol:

if you learned how to read an entire thread before spouting off, you'd realize that I answered my own question nearly 20 minutes before you posted.  :D

You posted an indignant message in a public forum without even knowing a thing about the subject of your rant. I felt like hammering the point home.

You posted an indignant message in a public forum without even knowing a thing about the subject of your rant.  I felt like hammering the point home.

283017[/snapback]

My post wasn't indignant at all -- I was just wondering how NE and Phi received so many compensatory picks based on the fact that they picked up Dillon and Owens. There was no anger or bitterness to be found in the post. Methinks the troll doth like to B word and moan.

CW

The one thing that stands out with these picks is that there are 6 of them in the 3rd round.

I do not think there has ever been that many comp picks in the 3rd round.

That is very significant for the ending of the 1st day of the draft.

NE with a third, 5th and 7th?!

And what about Denver? They had a third round pick lifted for VIOLATING the cap,and what does the NFL do? I GIVES THEM TWO INSTEAD.

This is such BS...

The 2nd - 4th rounds in this draft will have a lot of good players. There's talk of this being a weak draft but it's not...it simply doesn't have the consensus top 15 that last year had.

The NFL needs to seriously reconsider the way they hand out comp picks. I think the record of the team needs to be considered before they start handing picks out as a way to "negate" the losses. Philly and New England actually got better when they ditched those players, so why would they need draft picks to overcome their loss when their record improved without them?

It all just seems screwy to me.

The NFL needs to seriously reconsider the way they hand out comp picks.  I think the record of the team needs to be considered before they start handing picks out as a way to "negate" the losses.  Philly and New England actually got better when they ditched those players, so why would they need draft picks to overcome their loss when their record improved without them?

It all just seems screwy to me.

283560[/snapback]

With big-ticket FA moves, it seems that this is one way that owners can get some sort of compensation for their initial investement, and their developement of players over a few years with sometimes good sometimes iffy contribution to the team success, and after nurturing them to being a good NFL player, away they go.

As an analogy, if you owned a business and invested money and time hiring a fellow with potential but with absolutely no track record of success, and after he said "FU, I'm moving on", wouldn't it be nice to get a little compensation?

As an analogy, if you owned a business and invested money and time hiring a fellow with potential but  with absolutely no track record of success, and after he said "FU, I'm moving on", wouldn't it be nice to get a little compensation?

283600[/snapback]

Personally, I don't disagree with the concept. However, I think it's very subjective right now. It seems to be whatever the whim is of the people dishing out the picks. There's no standard formula (that's been released anyway), so it's a bit confusing.

I do agree that the W/L record should be part of the equation (not the whole thing, but it should factor in). Who knows, maybe it does? It's all just a big secret, and that's the part that I don't like.

CW