Worst injury you have ever had

Ice bowl 67

What was the worst pain you guys have felt? Has anyone ever broken any bones or worse like concussions or other organ injuries or major surgeries you have ever had? My Dad just went through Prostate surgery and Bladder surgery. He said it was painful but doing great now. Anyone have any stories?

Broke my elbow chasing My Brother in the parking lot of Crystal Beach, 1977.  Left elbow needed surgery, pin still in.  Fell trying to hurdle the parking lot chains.  Landed on grass.  I knew I instantly broke it.  Went back to the States to get it repaired.

Good old days... When You went back to the car for lunch!

16 minutes ago, Figster said:

you guys kicking our ass was mighty painful to watch If that counts.

That too.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Broke my elbow chasing My Brother in the parking lot of Crystal Beach, 1977.  Left elbow needed surgery, pin still in.  Fell trying to hurdle the parking lot chains.  Landed on grass.  I knew I instantly broke it.  Went back to the States to get it repaired.

Good old days... When You went back to the car for lunch!

That too.

Game brought back memories of Trent Edwards getting twisted up like a pretzel. (looked real painful)

Edited by Figster
  • Sad 1

rotator cuff tear and ensuing hassles that follow, that syringe is long for injections 

Very very fortunate this is it from sports as I’m into my 50s

I keep remembering my arm can’t go under the pillow and my elbow must be below my head when I sleep on my side, otherwise....

and get a Thera Cane is you have shoulder problems!!!!

I’ve dislocated left elbow- snatching, arm went backwards, broken right collar bone, dislocated L knee thrice- football, have 45 stitches in L leg- fell from a cliff ledge, sutured cheek- glassed- pub work, forehead- pub work, lips- blacked out weightlifting, chin laceration and chipped chin- football, dental implant- glassed, pub work,  fingers- broken- football, pubs and sutures- opened a glass bottle that the metal cap had stuck on and the cap and neck of the bottle snapped and went through hand, back sutures- stabbed in pub, L foot- smashed toe- crow bar.

Was a ‘difficult’ youngster!

Worse actual pain, watching my daughter being anaesthetised for a procedure, my 9 month old in ICU with hydrocephalus and again my daughter when born was in NICU- Bay 8 for 2 weeks. They were far worse for me!

I was doing minor maintenance underneath my tractor.

Not a small one, about 4000 pounds.

The hydrostat transmission suddenly engaged, (long technical reason), and it started forward.

Big tractor tires got my shirt in a split second and pinned me.

The tractor ran over me, right across my chest.

I was facing down.

Anyway, broke 21 of my 24 ribs.

Four hour surgery and four titanium pieces to reconnect ribs.

• Sad 2

12 minutes ago, mrags said:

Until you’ve had an Anal Fissure, don’t talk to me. 

i asked a friend at what point did he not care or be embarrassed and have to go to the doctor the first time

he said he was standing and screaming into a bath towel while trying to have a bowel movement before he didn't care about his dignity any  more

9 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i asked a friend at what point did he not care or be embarrassed and have to go to the doctor the first time

he said he was standing and screaming into a bath towel while trying to have a bowel movement before he didn't care about his dignity any  more

I’ve got bunions with plantar fasciitis and gout and I can tell you that anal fissures are right up there or worse. 

Gout is another one. Don’t even talk to me unless the weight of a cotton sheet on your big toe makes you want to cry in pain has ever happened to you. 

Or for those people that have experienced the pain of trigimina neuralgia. Up there with some of the worst pain ever. 

Ive had all 3 of these. They all come and go at different times. Well, the fissure is hopefully healing. Sure doesn’t feel like it tho. 

Trigiminal nueralgia and Gout make you want to punch someone or something. 

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

I’ve got bunions with plantar fasciitis and gout and I can tell you that anal fissures are right up there or worse. 

Gout is another one. Don’t even talk to me unless the weight of a cotton sheet on your big toe makes you want to cry in pain has ever happened to you. 

Or for those people that have experienced the pain of trigimina neuralgia. Up there with some of the worst pain ever. 

Ive had all 3 of these. They all come and go at different times. Well, the fissure is hopefully healing. Sure doesn’t feel like it tho. 

Trigiminal nueralgia and Gout make you want to punch someone or something. 

The owner of my company sleeps with a kleenex box on his feet because of gout.   Thought it was funny when i heard it,  now not so much.

my towel biting friend had pneumonia and didn't finish the prescription given to him, he got pneumonia back, plus the fissure....

people, finish your bacterial anti-biotics even if you feel fine after 7 of those 10 horse pills....

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, row_33 said:

rotator cuff tear and ensuing hassles that follow, that syringe is long for injections 

Very very fortunate this is it from sports as I’m into my 50s

I keep remembering my arm can’t go under the pillow and my elbow must be below my head when I sleep on my side, otherwise....

and get a Thera Cane is you have shoulder problems!!!!

Tore mine in 2006, at work.  First time experience with a "nerve block."  Had the surgery, went home, was OK, till the freakin nerve block wore off, then indescribable pain. Couldn't lie in bed, had to wear this appliance, that resembled a love seat, around my neck, and rest my arm on.  So I obviously got thru it.  Have the same probs in bed, as you describe.

8 years later, went in to have some MRI confirmed bone chips removed.  When I woke up, they told me it was a rotator cuff.  Just wanted to end it all then!  Since it was not a result of an injury, maybe just wore out, the recovery was a piece of cake.  No love seat to wear, and very minor pain.

9 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Tore mine in 2006, at work.  First time experience with a "nerve block."  Had the surgery, went home, was OK, till the freakin nerve block wore off, then indescribable pain. Couldn't lie in bed, had to wear this appliance, that resembled a love seat, around my neck, and rest my arm on.  So I obviously got thru it.  Have the same probs in bed, as you describe.

8 years later, went in to have some MRI confirmed bone chips removed.  When I woke up, they told me it was a rotator cuff.  Just wanted to end it all then!  Since it was not a result of an injury, maybe just wore out, the recovery was a piece of cake.  No love seat to wear, and very minor pain.

i've read that shoulder pain is one of the worst, sleep is impossible, i'm often in physio or massage to maintain a balance

since i have it, it sucks, but i don't consider it to be all that bad, it doesn't restrict mobility

4 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

Broken collar bone senior year returning an interception.   Some big ole OT landed on me and it shattered into 4 different pieces.   Not fun.  

shut my index finger all the way in a truck door in my younger years.  Tried to act like it was no big deal , didn't want to look like a baby in front of my friends, but the pain on a scale from 1 - 10 was 10.  

2 minutes ago, Figster said:

shut my index finger all the way in a truck door in my younger years.  Tried to act like it was no big deal , didn't want to look like a baby in front of my friends, but the pain on a scale from 1 - 10 was 10.  

my brother did that to my pinky finger with  the Aerostar minivan my mother had.  Didn't break it, and for whatever reason I don't remember it being terribly painful I just can't bend that finger backwards anymore.   But i never really needed to.  

It was that stupid slider door

Edited by Soda Popinski

10 minutes ago, Figster said:

i got my index finger caught in the side door while rushing to get out to the car for a camping trip

was stuck there until someone came to see what the delay was all about 10 minutes later

nothing that a good splash of mercurochrome couldn't handle

• Haha (+1) 1