Bills vs. Packers All-22 Coaches Film Reviews

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Dave, I agree, shutting out the Pack would be unreasonable.  What concerns me, and I would argue should concern you, is that the Bills allowed TD on 2 of the Pack's 3 possessions and let them march into Bills territory, almost into field goal range, on the third.  (As a result of the initial march into Bills territory the Bills were pinned on their own goal line 2nd possession and gave the Pack good field position despite a decent 50 yd punt.)

I'll grant that on one TD drive, the Bills D was "Rodgered" by a 43 yd pass.  Play Green Bay, Rodgering happens.  But the other was a crushing, 5:30 min run and grind.

Yes, you're correct, after that the Bills D did stiffen up and play much better including holding GB to a FG after an INT. 

But color me "not too impressed" by a D that spots the opposition to 13 or 16 points before they decide to show up and play.  I mean, Bully that they held the Pack to 2 FG in the 2nd half, but how about holding them to 1 or 2 FG in the first half to take the pressure off our young QB and keep him from feeling like he has to lift the team from behind, as well as to give him the ball back quickly to try again when we have inevitable 3-and-outs?

I'm sorry, I guess it's better than allowing 28 unanswered points, but that's not a "win" on D in the NFL I know today.  That's called taking a shovel and digging a pit for your team, and if McDermott is all focused on O as the problem and not addressing why his D doesn't come out of the tunnel with backbones instead of issuing them at halftime , he's making a mistake.

Fits.

I can't argue with this.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/1/2018 at 5:33 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

Can someone find the 3rd down play that was like a 3rd and 4 or something and he got sacked and then the broadcast showed the bird's eye view of the play and there were 3 routes that were like 20+ yards down the field and only ONE short route.

Allen had time to deliver a short pass for a 1st down play on that route and as I watched in real time I was pissed he didn't throw it.  But then they showed the bird's eye view on the replay and it was obviously a coverage sack and a really, really poor play call by Daboll, who should have had more quick, short timing routes in the game as a whole, but particularly on a 3rd and short like that.

i was freaking out because a 4-5 yd run gets either a 1st down or 3 pts. on the board and maybe stops the bleeding. i'm still hoarse from screaming.... the fact that he goes so far backwards, like a kid whose older brother(s) are about to beat his ass worries me. did he instantly forget down and distance/ field  position?  that right there's a bad, bad sign. i like the kid, but we've all seen this play before...no?

Edited by billsredneck1

41 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

:thumbsup:

OMG OMG OMG this is actually Kurt Warner and Dan Orlovsky having a Twitter argument about diagnosing coverage and the blitz pre-snap?

Whoadoggies!

Heads up TBD guys this is a Must-read, not just Orlovsky's diagramming but Kurt Warner's objection to it!  This is a-MAZing!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OMG OMG OMG this is actually Kurt Warner and Dan Orlovsky having a Twitter argument about diagnosing coverage and the blitz pre-snap?

Whoadoggies!

Heads up TBD guys this is a Must-read, not just Orlovsky's diagramming but Kurt Warner's objection to it!  This is a-MAZing!

never done twitter....something about it would make me fell like ....a ......twit...

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Whoadoggies!

Yeh the back and forth is great...just a novice myself but I tend to agree w/ Orlovsky that Allen needs to identify pressure and flip protection. Warner's point about DBs in nickle w/ single high safety makes sense but only on the weakside, so I think Orlovsky is right about where the pressure needs to come from.

My thing though, and why I had a problem w/ Daboll's playcalling in general vs Packers- how in the mfing world didn't he have an easy check when you're getting a weird look like six across the front and mixed man/zone on the bunch with the DBs playing 8 yards off??? You either motion McCoy to the top side which would be the easiest way of identifying the blitz (his guy either peels off and it's 2v2 up top, pressure coming from Allen's L, or safety comes down and you have a hot on the 1v1 go route) or have the bunch formation at bottom about 5 yards farther out toward the touchline. The ball's on the opposite hash, they have enough room to operate down there and if they're out farther away from tackle there's just a naked LB who's obviously blitzing. Simple crap that we didn't have an answer for and it happened more than once.

24 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yeh the back and forth is great...just a novice myself but I tend to agree w/ Orlovsky that Allen needs to identify pressure and flip protection. Warner's point about DBs in nickle w/ single high safety makes sense but only on the weakside, so I think Orlovsky is right about where the pressure needs to come from.

My thing though, and why I had a problem w/ Daboll's playcalling in general vs Packers- how in the mfing world didn't he have an easy check when you're getting a weird look like six across the front and mixed man/zone on the bunch with the DBs playing 8 yards off??? You either motion McCoy to the top side which would be the easiest way of identifying the blitz (his guy either peels off and it's 2v2 up top, pressure coming from Allen's L, or safety comes down and you have a hot on the 1v1 go route) or have the bunch formation at bottom about 5 yards farther out toward the touchline. The ball's on the opposite hash, they have enough room to operate down there and if they're out farther away from tackle there's just a naked LB who's obviously blitzing. Simple crap that we didn't have an answer for and it happened more than once.

I tend to figure Kurt Warner just may know something when he says he would expect the three on the left to take those defenders with them.

You have, I think, the real and valid point which is that Allen needed some easy "WTF is that?" checks

With McDermott being such a defensive minded coach, I wonder how much he would disguise blitzes in practice to help Allen develop in setting protection. Obviously I have never been in a Bills practice, I would assume he does. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Whoadoggies!

I hope to Christ we have sometime in the room showing this to Allen just like Orlovsky and Warner broke it down on Twitter. 

43 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

I hope to Christ we have sometime in the room showing this to Allen just like Orlovsky and Warner broke it down on Twitter. 

I suspect this is a lot easier to process in the film room than when  NFL DE's and LBs are bearing down on you at full speed. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Whoadoggies!

Yes, it's clear that Allen missed that read with the free Blitzer on the LoS.  He also missed his outlet receiver that didn't block that Blitzer but had turned around as an outlet and alas he never did look left for some reason. Also, if the receiver decides to pick up that free Blitzer and it's not a fast sack. 

Although, isn't the center supposed to help with those calls too. If not just the center when a linemen sees a potential threat coming unblocked they used to yell "fire" "fire" or something to get the QBs attention to that free Blitzer on the line.

To me this is just bad coaching all around QB, Line, WRs. It's just a hot mess of an offense. 

Here is one of the plays McDermott referenced saying we had opportunities to control the line of scrimmage and we didn't get it done.

Bills first offensive series.  3rd and 1.  21 personnel with Connor McDermott in on the left (would this be 22? I digress)

Here's a screenshot just before the snap.  I'm not sure how they're lined up, but I think that's Dawkins to the R of center.  It's such an asymmetric formation heavy on the right, that you might expect a team to be running to RG or something.  Surprise!  That's what the Pack think too.  Before the snap, Alexander (23) slides to our right and the safeties and CB cheat up.

image.thumb.png.f23fa3ee340dbb89a8974770ddfc8bd6.png

Here's a screenshot just after the snap.  Note you can see 10 of 11 GBP defenders: we got 8 blocking 10.   Ducasse (I think)  is starting across the formation to pull.   Lee and Mills are both turning to block the DE.    

Look at Matthews (near the hash marks), Brice(29)  and Alexander who slid to the backside just before the snap.  What on earth are the Bills expecting to happen with them during the play?  There's 3 of them and DiMarco to block.

image.thumb.png.830e01da59301c9fd41b6ef4c6a1fb04.png

By the time Ducasse gets to the hole, it's pretty well closed.  DiMarco is trying to handle Matthews, but Brice (29)  is lurking right on the LOS.  Ivory must get to the 29 to convert.

image.thumb.png.487bfbf698dd7f127eb98463e9f29818.png

At the point where Ducasse and Ivory get there, Matthews has pulled DiMarco over to close the hole,  and Ducasse/Ivory have no where to run back on the 26.

If they were hoping to just shove the pile around, it's pretty well hopeless with the way the Bills are positioned.

image.png.0005617df1453f11d65a952d7430ffa9.png

I don't know too much but I'm SMH here.  This looks so "Rube Goldberg Device" to me, something that might look great on paper but is going to be very tricky to pull off in the game against a DC and a bunch of defenders with functioning neural tissue. 

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Not bad for  an alleged Novice.
 perhaps they have not given Allen the tool to switch. or no one called it to him. Or he has the tools, and just missed the read.
Kid looked overwhelmed.
 looking forward to next weekend to see what he has learned, what they taught him ? and how he adjusts. Not from the game as much as he makes adjustment pre snap.

keep in mind they just switched centers , and likely for calling the line.

great post 808 and thanks !

1 hour ago, tbarg12 said:

With McDermott being such a defensive minded coach, I wonder how much he would disguise blitzes in practice to help Allen develop in setting protection. Obviously I have never been in a Bills practice, I would assume he does. 

first season ? they are ramping him as best they can. lets keep in mind , this may not have been the Plan : )
he is likely learning " trial by fire " at this point.

The Defense should be helping the Offense at practice with looks i hope.

• Like (+1) 2

OK here's the next series.  1st and 10 on the Buf 6

Can question the playcall or the reads Allen makes, but note the position of the ball thrown by "Mr Inaccurate" relative to Benjamin's hands

image.thumb.png.1552017617abb45462f3c23300ff1634.png

2nd and 10, it's logged as a pass to Zay Jones but Matthews beats Mills like a drum, the DL tosses Miller aside like a used snot rag, and Allen is basically throwing it away before they plaster him into the turf.  Does he even have alternatives?

3rd and 10:  Allen has good protection and time to throw.  It looks to me as though a better bet might be ?Holmes on the L, but I don't understand this play design.  He's short of the 1st down for sure, as are Foster and Zay Jones.  Benjamin is the only one past the marker.  I think Allen rushed this throw and fell back into his old platform habits and it sailed on him.

OK, we're halfway through the 1st Q and we've had 6 offensive snaps: a stuff on 3rd and 1; pinned deep with a hard but makeable catch that hit Benjamin in the hands, a throw-away where 2 of our OLmen were flicked off like rag dolls, and very good protection with a probable poor throw by Allen but kind of puzzling play design.

A few good breakdowns here:

That quick bail from the pocket had me very concerned the first time I saw it. But now you can see the defense confused him by showing the same look on the previous play. He wasn't seeing ghosts in the pocket, he just made the wrong read. Pettine called a great game. That's the kind of thing Allen should learn with experience.

15 hours ago, Buddy Hix said:

If you switched the uniforms you’d swear this game film was from any year Allen played at Wyoming, it’s the same scenario; bad line, bad WRs and a bad QB.

I need to stop watching and reading analysis of Allen, it’s too depressing to think about, especially when you consider McD and Beane’s future are most likely tied to this kid.

At no time did Josh Allen EVER at Wyoming beat a team as good as the Minnesota Vikings

• Like (+1) 1