Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dkollidas

WR Prospect talk

Recommended Posts

DENZEL MIMS

 

Seems to jump out at me as a late pick although appears to to be getting more attention.  Excellent catch radius.

Interested in your thoughts.

 

 

Name: Denzel Mims

SCHOOL: Baylor

CONFERENCE: Big 12

POSITION: Wide Receiver

CLASS: Junior

JERSEY: No. 15

RECRUITMENT RATING: 3-star

HT: 6’3

WT: 208 lbs

D.O.B.: N/A


PROS: Incredible catch radius. Perfect extension and concentration to passes all-around his frame and does an excellent job of tucking the football into his body immediately. Seamless body control that allows him to adjust, contort, and position his frame to make receptions regardless of ball placement. Length in his frame makes him a consistent winner even with average accuracy from the quarterback position.

Has truly elite burst and long speed as a former decorated track and field athlete. One of the most explosive athletes in college football who also has strength throughout his frame. Does an excellent job a changing the pace of his vertical stems to get defensive backs on their heels before bursting by them. As a route runner, he’s able to get in and out of horizontal breaks efficiently. Despite slight technique issues, his elite feet and athleticism allow him to mostly be an effective route runner, especially for his size. Attacks leverage as a route runner well, and his vertical cuts can generate separation when he gets defensive backs to open their hips. Has gotten defensive backs off-balance with his shiftiness at the line of scrimmage as well as double moves, but can also separate using physicality.

 

credit:

author - Brad Kelly   

thedraftnetwork.com

Edited by Ned Kelly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd simply trade down and grab some extra picks. No WR will most likely go in the top 10. We could trade down to 10-12, pickup a 2nd and some picks for 2020 and still get our pick of the top WRs. That way we can also take a couple of premier defenders in the 2nd/3rd while still fixing up our offense at the same time. I'd go down to #10 and just take Marquise Brown there. It's looking more and more like a trade down. Bills are the ideal trading partner for a team looking to come up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewDayBills said:

I'd simply trade down and grab some extra picks. No WR will most likely go in the top 10. We could trade down to 10-12, pickup a 2nd and some picks for 2020 and still get our pick of the top WRs. That way we can also take a couple of premier defenders in the 2nd/3rd while still fixing up our offense at the same time. I'd go down to #10 and just take Marquise Brown there. It's looking more and more like a trade down. Bills are the ideal trading partner for a team looking to come up.

Just like every year, trades really only happen in top 7 with QBs.  Good chance those will be gone before we pick.

 

Marquise Brown is going to fly up draft boards with combine.  He may end up going top 7 anyways (Corey Davis).  Just take him no matter where we pick if he is still on board.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Just like every year, trades really only happen in top 7 with QBs.  Good chance those will be gone before we pick.

 

Marquise Brown is going to fly up draft boards with combine.  He may end up going top 7 anyways (Corey Davis).  Just take him no matter where we pick if he is still on board.

Gotta play the board though. Many people don't like Marquise Brown because of his size, that alone drops him out of the top 10 I think. Unless he comes into the combine at 180 and still insanely fast and explosive. Could happen. I've been clamoring for Marquise Brown just as long as anyone here has, just trying be smart about position while possibly stockpiling additional picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2018 at 10:05 AM, NewDayBills said:

Gotta play the board though. Many people don't like Marquise Brown because of his size, that alone drops him out of the top 10 I think. Unless he comes into the combine at 180 and still insanely fast and explosive. Could happen. I've been clamoring for Marquise Brown just as long as anyone here has, just trying be smart about position while possibly stockpiling additional picks.

 

This is the 2018 NFL, size has zero barring on a WR.  All about the speed and separation.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

 

This is the 2018 NFL, size has zero barring on a WR.  All about the speed and separation.

 

I'd take the speed too (M. Brown) and hope he turns out to have an impact like Tyreek Hill. I wish we could somehow end up with Jonah Williams and Marquise Brown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

D.K. Metcalf has declared.  Early projections are 2nd round.  We'll see about that once this process gets going.

I love Metcalf, even if it is at 9.  He is going to be special.  That being said, the depth in this class is incredible.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2018 at 10:50 AM, N.Y. Orangeman said:

I love Metcalf, even if it is at 9.  He is going to be special.  That being said, the depth in this class is incredible.

 

Yeah,  I don't care how Beane does it.  I want Metcalf on the Bills!

 

On top of his immense talent, he has the bloodline.  *Nephew of Eric Metcalf.  Pops played for the Bears.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Skeptical 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jon Ledyard wrote up his scouting report of UB's Anthony Johnson:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/11/22/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-anthony-johnson/

 

Quote

 


Separation Quickness – Not going to blow anyone away with his natural tools in this area. Lacks the suddenness to be a quick early separator, but does vary his stride length enough to create some separation when he gets into a corner’s blind spot. What will his explosive traits look like against better competition?

Ball Skills – Has shown the ability to go outside of his frame and reel in tough catches. Strong hands and won’t drop many balls. Nothing particularly notable about his catch radius or ability to adjust to off-target balls. Adequate in those areas, but will also leave some opportunities on the table.

Speed/Vertical Ability – Average speed. Doesn’t have great acceleration off the line of scrimmage and won’t threaten off coverage considerably. Uses his hands well to get on top of defenders down the field. Shows a bit of a late burst to detach and create some separation at the top of the route, albeit against questionable/slower corners. It’ll be surprising if he makes his living in this area.

Route-Running – Much of his route tree is centered upon working the short-intermediate aspects of the field (hitches, drags, bubbles), but over the past two years he has lined up inside and outside and received opportunities to work the whole field. Probably going to be limited in his vertical impact at the next level, but does a good job of stacking defensive backs with a late burst down the field to separate. Will round off some patterns, and has a tendency to gear down a good bit and dead leg dramatically into his breaks.

Contested Catch – Again, Johnson appears adequate in this area and has made some contested catches in his two years at Buffalo, but corners who can get their head around and elevate at the catch point will be an issue for him. Definitely competes in the air and has good size and strength to win position. Lacks the athleticism and flexibility to really contort for or high-point the ball against tight coverage.

YAC – Savvy and instinctive after the catch. Knows how to make opponents miss and shows good body control to stop and work toward space. Very aware of oncoming defenders and will fight through tackle attempts for extra yardage. Not going to wow anyone with his explosiveness or home run ability, but capable maximizing the occasional bubble screen or turning out of a hitch to pick up yards.

Releases – Varies his releases up pretty good and has experience working against press coverage. Didn’t see any corners really challenge him physically at the line of scrimmage, so that will be something to watch on the All-Star circuit. Technically proficient with his releases, but isn’t overwhelmingly quick in his transitions, which will allow better athletes to mirror him off the line.

 

Blocking – Solid blocker, although in the six games I watched he wasn’t asked to contribute much in that area. When he was, got hands inside, sank his hips and drove his legs through contact. Could show more interest in getting involved as a blocker when the ball goes elsewhere.
 

Competitive Toughness – Checks the box in this area. Will fight through tackles after the catch to pick up extra yards and brings the edge every play. Doesn’t shy away from the physical aspects of the game and competes in contested catch spots.
 

Athleticism/Size – Pretty average in both areas. Doesn’t have great length, but is physical and plays strong. Not special athletically, but appears adequate. Testing will be important.


BEST TRAIT – Hands/YAC
WORST TRAIT – Speed/Separation Quickness
RED FLAGS – None
In my opinion, Anthony Johnson is the toughest kind of player to scout. He has no obvious weaknesses, but isn’t outstanding in any area either. He’ll probably check in around 6-foot-1, 200 pounds and test about average for that size at the Combine. Average sized receivers with no skill or athletic trump card coming from non-Power 5 schools are an absolute pain to scout. That’s why the Senior Bowl (assuming he gets invited) will be big for Johnson.
His best features are probably strong hands and impressive awareness and elusiveness after the catch, dropping few balls and showing the ability to create on manufactured touches. Johnson can work through contact at the line of scrimmage and in the air, but finishes are inconsistent and he doesn’t look explosive enough to separate from more athletic corners in man coverage. I love that he can play inside and outside right away in the NFL, and is a capable blocker, but Johnson ceiling may be a what-you-see-is-what-you-get possession receiver whose skill set will hardly be considered irreplaceable.

Edited by DCOrange

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Marquise Hollywood Brown just left the Big 12 Championship Game on a cart

 

I admit I saw VERY little of him this year. Today I flipped in to see him drop 3 balls, one in the end zone (good defensive play, but stronger hands catch that). On the 4th ball thrown his way, he caught it but got hurt. They talked about how he’s listed at 5’10”, but suspected to be less and he struggled to get college offers because he weighed 138 lbs out of HS. 

 

I’m sure he’s MUCH better than my tiny sample size, but he’s not quite what I was expecting. He must be an electric little guy when healthy, but that’s not exactly what I was hoping for. There....now he’s a lock for the HOF. 

  • Haha (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Augie said:

 

I admit I saw VERY little of him this year. Today I flipped in to see him drop 3 balls, one in the end zone (good defensive play, but stronger hands catch that). On the 4th ball thrown his way, he caught it but got hurt. They talked about how he’s listed at 5’10”, but suspected to be less and he struggled to get college offers because he weighed 138 lbs out of HS. 

 

I’m sure he’s MUCH better than my tiny sample size, but he’s not quite what I was expecting. He must be an electric little guy when healthy, but that’s not exactly what I was hoping for. There....now he’s a lock for the HOF. 

He definitely didn’t have a good game today 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brown is just way too small. People seem to forget when we had had speedy munchkins that were always hurt.

 

 

Also stop crying you are embarrassing yourself.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2018 at 9:01 AM, Ittakestime said:

Just like every year, trades really only happen in top 7 with QBs.  Good chance those will be gone before we pick.

The best trades are for QBs.  But many trades happen outside the top 7.  How did we get Dawkins(63)?  Zay(37)?  Edwards(16)?  Screw trading up.  Let's trade down and load up on picks in rounds 2-5

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On December 20, 2018 at 9:39 AM, DCOrange said:

Breakdown of one of my favorite WRs in the draft class. Would love to target this guy on Day 2 or early Day 3 depending on where his draft stock is by April.

 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/19/video-content-stanleys-morgan-vertical-route-running/

 

 

 

 

I would LOVE to see Stanley Morgan Jr on the Bills roster. He has pedigree and to have rivalry in his home.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, the skycap said:

I would LOVE to see Stanley Morgan Jr on the Bills roster. He has pedigree and to have rivalry in his home.

  I am a Nebrasaka fan and would to see Morgan drafted by the Bills as well, but honestly do not watch alot of college ball other than my two teams and the playoffs. Come combine and draft time i can't get enough, because it is obviously Bills related.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...don't get to see college ball....anybody shed some light on Anthony Johnson and whether Bills should consider him in the later rounds?............hear his name mentioned here...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2018 at 10:06 AM, Ittakestime said:

 

This is the 2018 NFL, size has zero barring on a WR.  All about the speed and separation.

Size and strength still 100% matter 

 

our own smurf receiver Mckenzie has been carted off two weeks in a row and he’s bigger than Brown 

 

now Brown has more talent but you need to be a tough WR if you are gonna make it as a little guy and way more fail than succeed 

On 12/22/2018 at 12:43 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...don't get to see college ball....anybody shed some light on Anthony Johnson and whether Bills should consider him in the later rounds?............hear his name mentioned here...

100% they should be thinking about him come the third round. He made Tyree Jackson , not the opposite 

 

He has good size, knows how to play a football and has deceptive speed

 

combine will be deciding factor where he goes

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I scoffed at early projections for D.K. Metcalf (2nd round).  He is now projected in the top 10 and the pre-draft process hasn't even began.

 

He pops off the screen in his highlight vids.  You'd have to be blind to not see the immense talent DeKaylin possesses.  He makes it look effortless and the pundits/scouts have taken notice.

 

Welcome to Buffalo.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

I scoffed at early projections for D.K. Metcalf (2nd round).  He is now projected in the top 10 and the pre-draft process hasn't even began.

 

He pops off the screen in his highlight vids.  You'd have to be blind to not see the immense talent DeKaylin possesses.  He makes it look effortless and the pundits/scouts have taken notice.

 

Welcome to Buffalo.

 

 

He certainly looks the part.  Freaky athlete.  But with the depth of the position, I don't want a WR in round one.  I'd rather grab one of the impact pass rushers in round one, and then grab Harmon/Samuel/Brown or whoever is the best remaining WR in round 2

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

He certainly looks the part.  Freaky athlete.  But with the depth of the position, I don't want a WR in round one.  I'd rather grab one of the impact pass rushers in round one, and then grab Harmon/Samuel/Brown or whoever is the best remaining WR in round 2

 

I know conventional wisdom is QB, LT, DE, but OBD would be doing Josh Allen a disservice NOT to surround him with the best weapons they can, to aid in his development.  

 

Unless it's a premier edge guy, I'll take Metcalfe, being that I see him as a premier wideout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

I scoffed at early projections for D.K. Metcalf (2nd round).  He is now projected in the top 10 and the pre-draft process hasn't even began.

 

He pops off the screen in his highlight vids.  You'd have to be blind to not see the immense talent DeKaylin possesses.  He makes it look effortless and the pundits/scouts have taken notice.

 

Welcome to Buffalo.

 

 

 

Um, NO.

 

The kid is a walking injury that doesn't possess the quick acceleration and breakaway speed this league is going to.  It wouldn't surprise me to see Metcalf fall during draft process.  He is still going off potential because he never plays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...