WR Prospect talk

Dkollidas

1 hour ago, Ittakestime said:

Um, NO.

The kid is a walking injury that doesn't possess the quick acceleration and breakaway speed this league is going to.  It wouldn't surprise me to see Metcalf fall during draft process.  He is still going off potential because he never plays.

Um, YES.

I don't know where to begin.  He's already gone from projected 2nd rounder to "best WR in the class" standing.  "Falling during the draft process", when he possesses the best, most complete skillset of any wideout in the class?  Ok.

Doesn't seem like you bothered to watch any highlights or write ups of him because if you did, you wouldn't be questioning his speed.

44 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Um, YES.

I don't know where to begin.  He's already gone from projected 2nd rounder to "best WR in the class" standing.  "Falling during the draft process", when he possesses the best, most complete skillset of any wideout in the class?  Ok.

Doesn't seem like you bothered to watch any highlights or write ups of him because if you did, you wouldn't be questioning his speed.

You are right I didn't watch highlights of him, I watched real Ole Miss games and he was barely on the field.

When he was, he looked like every Ole Miss WR out there.  It's a shame Ole Miss doesn't teach WR skills.  All Ole Miss WR do is rely on their god given ability and then are completely lost in the NFL because they weren't drilled on things such as route running, blocking, tracking the ball, hand placement, etc.  Go run down the field and the QB will maybe find you in about 5 to 6 secs.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Been waiting for this: The Draft Network finally reviewed one of the WRs that jumped out at me last year during my QB scouting: Marshall's Tyre Brady. If you're tired of watching the Bills' WRs drop passes over and over, this is a guy that can fix that. His hands and body control are awesome IMO.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/27/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-tyre-brady/

Release – Has loose hips and good suddenness to quickly win angles at the line of scrimmage. Is a bit thin up top and does not have much play strength, but is feisty and will use his hands to keep his chest plate clear. Shows developed footwork at the line to win initial leverage and generate immediate separation, even against tight coverage in goal line and short yardage situations. Can get bullied by squatting zone corners and press corners who have freedom to play physically.

Routes – Benefits from suddenness and some good explosiveness. Can prove dangerous in a vertical third given stacking ability and burst, as well as body control and hard deceleration on deep comeback routes. Fluid into breaks but must work better at keeping a hard line out of his breaks and exploding out of his cuts; will get lazy and come out of his breaks soft. Does not show must deception at the top of his route stem, which may have a lot to do with the timing between himself and his quarterback; can get pushed into the boundary off the red line by larger and more physical corners.

Hands – Fantastic hand strength. Regularly makes away-from-body snags that require great flexibility and body control. Can maintain grip on the football through contact and make fingertip catches when necessary. Has some outstanding catches through contact up against the sideline, modeling plus concentration and great tracking ability. Flashes late hands against tight coverage so as to not tip off the corner.

YAC Ability – Illustrates the necessary physical traits to offer YAC upside through elusiveness and long speed. Especially interests in run after catch potential in a vertical third, with runaway speed available in his arsenal. Vision as a runner is currently a question mark, and sometimes gets lazy with ball security when he’s looking to evade tacklers. Toughness approaching contact is lacking.

Separation Ability – Regularly creates separation with quickness and good deceit at the line of scrimmage. Has the explosiveness to win on quick-breaking routes and is effective in RPO games and out of the slot accordingly. Could reduce his step frequency on tight breaks to be a little more snappy, especially on deep comebacks and curls. Could be more energetic separating against zone coverage, but again, offense’s simplicity and constraints could contribute to that.

Contested Catch Ability – Has excellent contested catch ability, especially downfield and against the sideline. Regularly turns shoulders and extends hands at the last possible second and has the strength to ***** the ball from the air and curl it back into his frame. Good length to attack the ball at the highest point, though leaping ability is currently a question mark — prefers to fall away from coverage as opposed to jumping into contact. A few more drops/PBUs when taking a hit across middle of field as compared to up against the sideline.

Functional Athleticism – A little light in the frame, especially up top — is not likely over the 200 pounds he’s currently listed. Lack of mass show sup when dealing with contact from defenders in the contact window and when attempting to break tackles; could benefit from an added 10 pounds. Has some decent length. Quickness, explosiveness, and long speed are all NFL-caliber and fit the profile of a slot or Z receiver.

Blocking – Is not an active blocker and does not have the physical profile to succeed as a blocker. Tries to keep everything at length and does not activate any full-body power. Would not like to initiate contact and rather screens things off from the side. Will get physical super far downfield, especially if he’s the last block between the ball-carrier and paydirt.

Versatility – While he should be kept away from the press and thereby not align often in the X position, offers NFL ability at both slot and Z receiver. Is particularly effective in the vertical stem and, given experience on timing routes, projects well into a Coryell style system. Could offer some special teams ability as a returner if vision checks out with the ball in his hands.

BEST TRAIT – Hands
WORST TRAIT – Blocking
RED FLAGS – 3 game suspension at University of Miami in 2015; transferred to Marshall thereafter
PRO COMPARISON – Josh Reynolds
VALUATION – Round 4
Though his numbers plateaued after his junior year quarterback Chase Litton left for the NFL, Tyre Brady played when enough in his senior season to rightfully earn a Senior Bowl invite. Brady wins with quickness and fluidity, and with his hand strength and body control on the sideline, offers some traits of an NFL role player, especially for offenses that really heavily on slot play. That said, his lack of physicality and narrow frame limit his special teams upside and leave him susceptible to press corners, which will likely relegate him to slot/depth play. Brady projects as a WR3/4 who has WR2 upside if he gets a bit bigger and stronger.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Been waiting for this: The Draft Network finally reviewed one of the WRs that jumped out at me last year during my QB scouting: Marshall's Tyre Brady. If you're tired of watching the Bills' WRs drop passes over and over, this is a guy that can fix that. His hands and body control are awesome IMO.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/27/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-tyre-brady/

Love the way he's able to adjust to balls that aren't perfectly placed. Definitely the kind of player a QB like Josh Allen needs.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

You are right I didn't watch highlights of him, I watched real Ole Miss games and he was barely on the field.

When he was, he looked like every Ole Miss WR out there.  It's a shame Ole Miss doesn't teach WR skills.  All Ole Miss WR do is rely on their god given ability and then are completely lost in the NFL because they weren't drilled on things such as route running, blocking, tracking the ball, hand placement, etc.  Go run down the field and the QB will maybe find you in about 5 to 6 secs.

If you can't see D.K.'s talent, I can't help you.  Trust and believe he's going top 10-15.  

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 2

On the DK Metcalf topic, Charlie Campbell had this to say:

Entering and during the 2019 NFL Draft process, Ole Miss wide receiver A.J. Brown has been the consensus top wideout prospect, but some in the media have projected teammate D.K. Metcalf to go ahead of Brown and be the more talented wide receiver prospect for the NFL. Seven games into the 2018 season, Metcalf went out for the year with a neck injury. He then did not waste time declaring for the 2019 NFL Draft prior to the New Year. In surveying team sources, Metcalf is a true love/hate prospect who has a big variety in his draft grade and where teams are projecting him to go. 

One team source said they thought that Metcalf (6-4, 230) would go in the No. 15-25 range of the first round. However, they said that depended on how his medical exam checked out and how he looked running the route tree in pre-draft workouts. One general manager of an AFC team that could take a receiver early said they were very down on Metcalf. They said they did not think that Metcalf could separate from NFL defensive backs and had given him a fourth-round grade. One other team source said they had Metcalf in the second round. 

Prior to his injury, Metcalf was playing well, although teams were focused on stopping A.J. Brown. Metcalf totaled 26 receptions for 569 yards and five touchdowns for his 2018. 

It was clear in conversations with sources that there was not a consensus regarding Metcalf, so his pre-draft workouts, medical exams, and interviews are going to be critical for where he ends up on team's draft boards. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

N’Keal Harry. All I see him do is time deep balls perfectly. He’s so aggressive at the catch point it’s ridiculous. I could see him being the perfect weapon for Allen.

Could see us trading down from 9, or maybe he slips to round 2.

I know it’s not getting big accolades, but I really like this year’s receiving class. Lotta big lanky guys, and a lot of shifty slot types as well. 

• Like (+1) 4

56 minutes ago, thunderingsquid said:

Yeah, watch us pass on the next Randy Moss.  Grr

As long as we don't trade up for him I'm interested.

I like him a lot, but a neck fracture is a scary injury. That HAS to clear out. 

And even if it does, I still might shy away just because of it.

personally though I like Harry the best. I think his ability to high point the ball is elite, and we love to throw deep, it’s a match made in heaven 

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

I like him a lot, but a neck fracture is a scary injury. That HAS to clear out. 

And even if it does, I still might shy away just because of it.

personally though I like Harry the best. I think his ability to high point the ball is elite, and we love to throw deep, it’s a match made in heaven 

He has a subtle but strong push-off move that would make Michael Irvin proud.  I like it.  

23 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

N’Keal Harry. All I see him do is time deep balls perfectly. He’s so aggressive at the catch point it’s ridiculous. I could see him being the perfect weapon for Allen.

Could see us trading down from 9, or maybe he slips to round 2.

I know it’s not getting big accolades, but I really like this year’s receiving class. Lotta big lanky guys, and a lot of shifty slot types as well. 

I wouldn’t even mind taking Nkeal Harry at 9 if we can’t find a trade down partner and they don’t like any OL available. I feel he’s a perfect fit for Josh Allen and this tram givdn the emergence of Foster as the speedy burner. 

• Like (+1) 2

...any interest?.....tabbed as #5 out of 203 and projected 1-3 round pick....Daboll saw him at Georgia....any interest?.........6'2", 200 lbs...4.44 in 40...............

Riley Ridley declares for the 2019 draft

Posted by Josh Alper on January 4, 2019, 4:39 PM EST

Wide receiver Calvin Ridley was taken in the first round of the 2018 draft by the Falcons and another member of the family will be available for the Falcons and the rest of the NFL in this year’s draft.
Riley Ridley announced on Twitter Friday that he will be leaving school in order to enter the draft. The younger Ridley is also a wide receiver and is a similar size to his brother, but there are some big differences from there.

Calvin Ridley was a standout for the University of Alabama and never caught fewer than 63 passes in any of his three seasons with the Crimson Tide. Riley Ridley, on the other hand, caught a total of 69 passes during his three seasons at Georgia and heads to the NFL without the same expected draft position as his big brother.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...any interest?.....tabbed as #5 out of 203 and projected 1-3 round pick....Daboll saw him at Georgia....any interest?.........6'2", 200 lbs...4.44 in 40...............

Wide receiver Calvin Ridley was taken in the first round of the 2018 draft by the Falcons and another member of the family will be available for the Falcons and the rest of the NFL in this year’s draft.
Riley Ridley announced on Twitter Friday that he will be leaving school in order to enter the draft. The younger Ridley is also a wide receiver and is a similar size to his brother, but there are some big differences from there.

Calvin Ridley was a standout for the University of Alabama and never caught fewer than 63 passes in any of his three seasons with the Crimson Tide. Riley Ridley, on the other hand, caught a total of 69 passes during his three seasons at Georgia and heads to the NFL without the same expected draft position as his big brother.

Good to see you posting again my friend ?

8 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Guessing he goes at the end of the 1st or the first pick of Day 2. IMO, too steep for one year of solid production. If he slips to the third, sure -- but he won't.

On 1/4/2019 at 6:05 PM, Ittakestime said:

Not sure about the separation bit, I think his speed is pretty evident on tape.   One thing that did stand out to me in the three games I watched is the guy runs one route.   Like a pass rusher who constantly uses speed to get around left tackles but overshoots the quarterback, Metcalf's bread and butter is to try and run around the outside of the cornerback and beat him on a go route, and its over and over again.

It's clear he is immensely physically gifted, but I think he is going to be over drafted based on his gifts and have to learn a lot on the fly about being a wideout.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.